• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I don't know about anti-consumer but nintendo has been backwards in so many ways for a long time. This is hardly new ground for them.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
All these companies are anti consumer to varying degrees

The fact I can walk into a store and pay 50 dollars for Mario Kart Wii, a game way over a decade old, and which has no online servers despite being one of the best selling games in history? That's a big point for Nintendo right there

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
They are since the Nes days.

N64 using carts and not having RGB
GC not using standard DVD
Wii not playing DVD-video
3DS region locked
new 3DS not including AC adapter
keeping Star Fox 2 in their vault for 25 years
keeping Earthbound Beginning in their vault for 25 years
not releasing GC-Wii games on Switch despite having a functioning emulator available in China for the NVidia Shield

The most consumer-friendly console thay made was the Wii U.
The only anti-consumer moves in your list are region locked 3DS and new 3DS not including an AC adapter since they were not using universal usb connections. The rest are lol.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
Remember, the company is not your friend.
The company operates only for profit.
Companies are only looking at users at the moment.

Never, the company is not your friend.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I mean like in the capitalistic system most companies are trying to fleece you in some regard. So there is no " The" they are one of many

On the subject of nintendo, they are " very" disney in how they handle themselves. And have been becoming more so as time goes on. Which is concerning to say the least

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
All companies are "anti-consumer" to someone.
In regards to Nintendo, I've always thought they were pretty anti-anything the gamer actually wants. lol

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Nintendo literally gets away with anything and they are fully aware of it, hence continuing to shit on their customers. They do make a few great games a year but their attitude is honestly disgusting sometimes, unfortunately people are quick to defend them for reasons

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo's been like that for ages. They are definitely the most aggressive when considering profits and they always go on insane lengths to achieve them. But that's not what makes them anti consumer since charging as much as your audience allows is expected for any company.

The problem is with some of their secondary practices (such as today's) which are straight up unacceptable and are actually fairly common. It just appears that they always do the absolute bare minimum their audience would allow, especially in regards to services, ports, pricing and features.

Having said that, there are areas where they have invested tons and have taken strategic risks in the past so it's not like they just sit and do nothing.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Yes 100%

Well 90%

Theh used to be very good on hanhelfs and disc based systems about allowing the previous gen to play. And it does make sense why you can't stick a wiiu disc into a switch

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Like Apple and Microsoft, Nintendo is an incumbent that allows them to operate the markets in certain ways.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Anti-consumer is just a buzzword at this point. The actual truth is, all of these companies want consumers and their money, and have their own methods of achieving it. If you don't like the way they do it, then that's you, but at this point, anti-consumer has become meaningless dribble.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
All of these companies (in the gaming segments) are here for entertainment, not a service that is needed, although some like to change the meaning of need to extend to such things which i find absurd. Buy what you want at whatever price you feel is fair. Otherwise dont and move on. Companies are neither moral or immoral.

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo makes great software. And Nintendo is aggressively anti-consumer. Charging a premium for 'legacy content' and throwing people ROMS is a giant "Fuck You, Because We Can." FYBWC might as well be their sales motto. Expect even more Disney-style engineered shortages in the future. It's a beautiful world.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but part of being a fan of something is calling out their bullshit and expecting better things out of them. So I'm with you OP all the way. People lack introspection.

There's soooo many people on this board that defend bullshit business practices from companies like Nintendo and Gamefreak. It's complete bollocks.

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the price is whatever. Nintendo thinks they can sell it at 60 with people buying it en masse, and they're probably right.
The limited availability is a headscratcher. People say for fake scarcity, but I feel like this would be an evergreen title that'll earn Nintendo way more on the long term and would have long legs.

For how stupid it is, and how the other announcements also go to March 31st it really does feel they see that as the end of the 35th aniversary.
It is really stupid, but I'm not even sure they're doing this for a business reason.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo might be the only company that'd have a big event for one of their franchises without putting any of the previous entries in sale.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
User Banned (1 Month): Using Anti-Semitic Slur and stereotypes
I've always said Nintendo were the biggest money-grubbing shysters in the industry. Today just reaffirmed that.

But the fans and the media just eat it all up with hardly any criticism.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, of course. Nintendo has been scummier than EA for a long time. But Nintendo makes games that are actually great so they tend to get away with it.
I don't get it. How are Nintendo getting away with it? They have been ridiculed since the GAF Wii U/3DS days. People have been telling them to "fuck off" in almost every single thread. EA has been ridiculed too, but people are still buying their games.
People can choose to not buy their games and consoles if you find their practices and/or pricing to be "anti-consumer".

Cue MW2boycot.jpg.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Can we stop using the word anti consumer. Nothing against you op, but people keep dismissing how bad Nintendo does some things by saying it doesnt pass their own definition of the word.

Nintendo is unbelievably shitty at online infrastructure, pricing (those Pikmin ports, whew!), delisting games when ports with said bad pricing come out, Amiibos, accessory specific DLC etc. etc.

The only thing they do good is their games (barring multiplayer components) and console ideas like the Switch imo.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but part of being a fan of something is calling out their bullshit and expecting better things out of them. So I'm with you OP all the way. People lack introspection.

There's soooo many people on this board that defend bullshit business practices from companies like Nintendo and Gamefreak. It's complete bollocks.
Some people just like words to actually mean something. Anti-consumer shouldn't just refer to 'thing I don't like', otherwise it loses its meaning and impact when truly anti-consumer efforts occur.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
They've offered horrible value for much of their software and hardware in the post-Iwata era with ports especially egregious. They at least used to have the virtual console, free online and selects range so I don't accept them always being this bad.

Something has definitely changed for the worse in how they approach pricing in recent years.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't thinks is actually "anti-consumer". Just low value products (Talkin about 3D All Star mainly here) with a STRONG brand attached to it. Nintendo NEEDS competition in the family segment ASAP

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they are. "No corporation is your friend" yes, no shit, but some of these companies want to fuck people over more than others and Nintendo are at the forefront of the queue when it comes to the platform holders.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Don't forget Nintendo delisting $20 versions of their software so they can force customers into buying the $60 version instead.

Personally I think the glut of Wii U ports is a bit of a slap in the face to those that stuck with Nintendo during their worst period, but that's kind of a subjective thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.