• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Does it have built-in speakers, because I couldn't understand the vents in the bottom back, on the two sides. They look like indented vents, but it also looked like it's obscured or blocked from having direct air flow going in.

I think the actual vents are top and bottom
as illustrated here
3293672c-3566-4b2b-b33f-22dd8810b560.jpg

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I don't like how 2 of the 4 vertical sides are marred with rubber feet and a bunch of seams/ports/doors- creates a messy look that looks like it should be orientated vertically.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I understand the GameCube comparison. It only resembles a GameCube if you took away all of the defining characteristics of it.

It looks more like a refrigerator. Like you should be able to open it up.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Does it have built-in speakers, because I couldn't understand the vents in the bottom back, on the two sides. They look like indented vents, but it also looked like it's obscured or blocked from having direct air flow going in.

Everything is blocked on it, HDMI port, AC port, etc, and the vents. It's probably because it's just a shell, for display.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
The Series X is just ok to me. It's minimalist and somewhat dull. I think seeing one in person may help.

Im more curious as to the size of it. From these pics and other media it appears to be huge.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Waring
Looks incredible.

Much better than the over-designed and offensive to the eyes "I'M a GaMeR" garbage that is the PS5.

HouseAR

May 17, 2020
That's a nice piece of hardware.

Now we just need one more "little detail": some good 1st party game

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
The design seems... so polarizing, demographic perhaps?

I'm old and really love the sleek design. Wouldn't touch anything from Alienware, ROG or things with similar look and feel.

Oct 25, 2017
Awful. Fucking consoles and their "lol good luck putting this into an entertainment unit" design this go around. The one x is pretty much perfect sigh.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
The design seems... so polarizing, demographic perhaps?

I'm old and really love the sleek design. Wouldn't touch anything from Alienware, ROG or things with similar look and feel.

More like tribalism. It's a real deal in the console space. A lot of Xbox guys hate the PS5 design and Playstation guys hate Series X. If they had come out flipped, then the hate would be flipped as well. Consumers have allowed themselves to be programmed by corporations. Personally, I like both designs, go figure.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Comparisons to a PC tower are ludicrous - dimensions-wise, it's more like two Xbox One X stacked on top of each other.
Or a PC tower sliced in half...
9ZlxtQy.jpg

I'm not bored by rectangular designs, for me it missed the mark in the finish, at least going by these pics it just doesn't ooze of quality like some AV receivers can do for example. Maybe it needs a metal casing, idk

Oct 26, 2017
I'm neither here nor there with it. On one hand I feel it's uninspired on the other it can't be considered ugly. I dig the simplicity I guess.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
looks ok/inoffensive, but I like ps5 design much more.

I m a bit shocked with cheap green plastic rather than light on top

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I love the look of this thing. I'm happy that my media center is one of those ladder-like/trellis-like centers, I have plenty of vertical room.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Its simple design makes a lot of sense from a technical standpoint and it will make it cheaper to manufacture too. Those are very important virtues for sure.

That said, it really is a boring and uninspired design. But it does make sense, so it's all right in my book.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's a very basic pc looking tower box, but imagine how simple it is to theme it? I could imagine some sweet limited edition consoles coming out of that design, or even custom using certain websites.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
On one hand it does look fine, but on the other it's just so damn boring looking. My only real problem with it is that they removed the HDMI passthrough, when I do get one in a couple of years to replace my X1X that means I will need one extra port for my Spectrum tv. Ah well.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I love it, It feels like the older I get the more minimalist I want everything. I really don't even wanna notice my console to be honest, so in this case less is more for me

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I don't care about visual design.. if this doesn't take off like my pro sometimes all good. Performance over looks always.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
U rather have a cheap inexpensive colored plastic rather than rgb light? Lol OK u do u man but there is industry revolving around rgb and led for aesthetic reasons.
Yes, I'd rather have colored plastic than light on my console lol. Keeps the minimal/premium look of the console while giving it some character.

Who wants a light shining under their tv lol?

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Not a dig at anyone who thinks otherwise, but while I think the design and work put into assembling it is top notch I can't say I'm visually impressed with a small black cube as a design. That said, as someone who's put together their fair share of mini-itx systems, what they've put in there is impressive. Want to play flight sim on this thing lol.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing and is probably the coolest Xbox design yet. X1X might've lost the crown. Feels like the PS5 is designed like a kids toy in comparison, but I also prefer "boring" minimal looks.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
It's certainly not ugly but I find it dreadfully boring. And I imagine that much like the original Wii, this is a console that will look best when standing up (which likely won't be happening in my setup due to its size).

The green light shining through the top -- the thing I loved the most about the design -- being cardboard and not an actual light, is super disappointing. Was looking forward to that as long as it was faint.

I much prefer the PS5 design for the same reason I loved the original 360 design. Unique and different.

Edit: Yeah, it looks horrible vertically.

1280x720.jpg
It's like the designers didn't even try. It's ok they prioritize performance but I appreciate it more when you get both (performance and great design).

Also, I hope the base is removable when you position the console horizontally, because I definitely don't have space for a tower in my entertainment center.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I feel like you probably can't really judge the design until you see it in person. Scale is important.