• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I've always been fascinated by historical examples of centrally planned cities, and there's one in particular that already feels designed for a video game. It's well documented, thoroughly researched and a very reasonable size for a 1:1 scale recreation (2 km in diameter). I'm genuinely amazed that Assassin's Creed hasn't done this yet.

Baghdad.jpg

Let me introduce you to the Round City of Baghdad, constructed in 762-766 by the Abbasid Caliphate after overthrowing the Umayyad Caliphate. The Umayyads conquered most of the Mediterranean and went as far east as modern day Pakistan, which resulted in a hugely multicultural Islamic empire under Arab leadership. The power structure was highly preferential towards Arabs, which played a key role in the revolution and this era of Baghdad.

Map_of_expansion_of_Caliphate.svg

The Abbasid Revolution represented a major power shift away from Arab-dominant rule, so Caliph Almansur wanted to move the capital away from Mecca. Baghdad had existed there for centuries as a market town (even mentioned by Hammurabi), was much closer to their power base in Persia and was a great trading hub for existing routes. The gates of the city are even named after the cities they lead to.

qFRwvnn8bUHizWGWeaUm2ijrNjgHy8_E_fzg4nuKlSE.jpg

It was planned as a set of concentric circles with multiple defensive walls, layers of residential and commercial districts, and a huge palace grounds at the center. The city core acted as a cultural, religious and academic hub, and the city itself as the Caliph's seat of power.

The city grew rapidly, with enormous suburbs chopped up by a dense network of canals. The walls became obsolete and were taken down in less than a century, and the city likely exceeded a million inhabitants around 200 years after the Round City was built.

round.jpg

How could this be used in a game?
  • It's would make an awesome hub: the size, layout and segmentation already feel a lot like an RPG or open world city, plus the cool almost fantastical design, and the historical context adds another layer to it
  • It would make an awesome base: in terms of siege warfare, this is an absolutely fascinating (and extremely effective) defensive design for an RTS or Mount and Blade style game.
  • The rapid growth/change has amazing design opportunities: besides offering designers more flexibility (e.g. in size and urban makeup), it would also be an incredible if an ambitious developer wanted to try making an evolving city

What are some cities you think would be amazing in games?

Last edited:

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
If we're to believe the rumours, the next game is actually set in Baghdad.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I think the two real cities that would be the most amazing (both in a "holy shit they really built that" way, and in terms of the cultural value of having a widely available virtual reconstruction) would be Tenochtitlan and Angkor.

There'd be problems recreating either of them in a gameplay setting - for example, you can't really do a story that ends happily in Tenochtitlan. Angkor would also have the problem of scale - if we're thinking partly about Assassin's Creed here, well, people already think games like Odyssey and Origins are too big, and a 1:1 creation of Angkor at its peak would be four times the size of those.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Uruk, widely believed to be the first city, then Ur, then after that would be ancient Anatolia 10,000 years ago the settlements of Gobekli Tepe, Karahan Tepe, Çatalhöyük and finally Ngwenya mine of Eswatini. As you can probably tell I'm heavily biased in ancient/prehistory (I would love a game set 50,000 years in the past)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I forgot what my answer even was once I saw everyone bring up Tenochtitlan. Someone make that.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Kowloon Walled City slum, which I think inspired one of the cities in Shenmue 2 and Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

OP
OP
Sacrilicious

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Kowloon Walled City slum, which I think inspired one of the cities in Shenmue 2 and Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

Yeah, Kowloon inspired quite a few game cities, though most are pretty small scale (e.g. Call of Duty) or diverge quite a bit (like Shenmue).

The Shadowrun version looks cool, I haven't seen it before. It would definitely make a very cool cyberpunk setting.