• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
There's a lot to dislike about the first book. One of the things that I'm surprised I don't see complained about more often on the gaming boards is how bullshit the games in it are. Cline is a guy that loves video games but never adsorbed any kind of good game design concepts. There's that movie karaoke game that sounds as fun as painting your house. Oasis is an MMO with a harsh death penalty and zero game balance, you can lose your character because you were on the wrong planet when some dweeb decided to try out his new Death Star he just got as a special quest reward. It's game design by a couple of grade schoolers.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people hate this book again? I never read it or saw the movie.

It's not very well written and overstuffed with "remember this?? wink wink" references. That said, it's an entertaining read especially if you're in the sweet spot age group for 80s nostalgia.

I thought the movie was entertaining.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
It's not very well written and overstuffed with "remember this?? wink wink" references. That said, it's an entertaining read especially if you're in the sweet spot age group for 80s nostalgia.

I thought the movie was entertaining.

Oh no...I'm an 80s kid, but I REALLY hate 80s nostalgia. I don't need to be reminded of the past in a superficial way.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The idea i keep seeing repeated here that people don't like it are like literary snobs is just plain wrong.

I love genre fiction, thrillers, horror, sci fi and fantasy. I hated reading Hemmingway and Kerouac at uni. I love trashy page turners. But this book wasn't even a light fun read.

That said I was born in 88, so I was a 90s kid, the references weren't my childhood, so maybe that's what it comes down to.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
3122192a061b7542d8c90fbda063fc14c6-gamemasteranthony.2x.w710.jpg

Ready Player Two (2020)
He actually reviewed the first movie

I will say, the references were also part of the problem. I was seeing a lot of 2.5/4 star reviews for this one with the general consensus being that the visuals were great but the characters and plot were not as strong. And … they were right. We've seen the "evil corporation trying to take over with the common man fighting back" plot before, and while a lot of the set pieces were great, it wasn't really all that different from that formula. I did personally enjoy the bits where the main characters were figuring out the puzzles within OASIS to try and find the Easter egg. This is mostly due to the fact I am a real lover of puzzles and mysteries, which no doubt my latest obsession with escape rooms can attest to.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people hate this book again? I never read it or saw the movie.
It's a big long wankfest of 80s nostalgia, but that's not the core issue. The core issue is that Wade and the characters within are rewarded with fame, power and riches for their mastery of video gaming and memorization of 80s pop culture instead of any sort of personal growth. Wade doesn't explicitly learn anything about himself or humanity. So it's a quest story where no maturation or character development really occurs. Things happen, pop culture is referenced, corporations are bad and obsessive geeks win for a life of obsessive geeking.

Plus casual racism and terrible character dialogue doesn't help.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I loved the book and the movie,very excited to spend more time in the Oasis.

Funny how so many that hate on this absolutely love a bunch of different anime trash that maybe 5% of the population enjoys.

There actually IS an anime trash equivalent of Ready Player One.
It's called Sword Art Online.
And despite it being terrible,
it's still not anyhwere near as bad as RPO.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Most of the thread is saying it's bad because of the endless references. But I'd certainly say blatant transphobia is a lot worse than "references":

Some other favorite quotes of mine:

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
not gonna lie, i enjoyed the first one at the time, was pretty vapid but still entertained me
Same it was nothing great, but then again it wasn't completely horrible bottom of the barrel. I turned my brain off and enjoyed it for what it was. Then again I reading a lot of YA during the time, so I guess the most honest thing I can say it's near the bottom of the popular YA books, but not near the bottom of YA.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Wasn't the first book kind of racist and sexist?
I read it so long ago and have only the vaguest memory
Most of the thread is saying it's bad because of the endless references. But I'd certainly say blatant transphobia is a lot worse than "references":

Some other favorite quotes of mine:

Alright, well, I didn't know any of this. I tend to not follow authors very closely at all unless I'm huge a huge fan of multiple works they've done. It gets exhausting otherwise.

But hey now I know and he can fuck right off.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

Edit:
Dammit, beaten by several hours

Last edited:

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I read it so long ago and have only the vaguest memory

Alright, well, I didn't know any of this. I tend to not follow authors very closely at all unless I'm huge a huge fan of multiple works they've done. It gets exhausting otherwise.

But hey now I know and he can fuck right off.

That tweet is a quote from the book. By the main character. So if you read the book, you've seen that line before.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
At the beginning of modern VR I read Ready Player One because everyone in the community did. It's so fucking bad. I can't imagine how bad this one will be.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh hell the fuck NO.

Ready Player One was easily the worst fucking drivel I've ever read. No fucking way I'll ever touch this book, but I'm sure all the incels and gamers will be quick to pick it up.

Credit where it's due, there were like 1 or 2 interesting parts of the book, but the majority of it was fucking dog shitto, imo

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I read both RPO and Armada a few times, out of boredom.

That's how bored I was.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think the first book is fine and is a solid 7.5 out of 10. Not the highest craftsmanship but still mostly entertaining.
People need to stop acting like they're sitting on a high horse and read Shakespeare only stuff.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I think the first book is fine and is a solid 7.5 out of 10. Not the highest craftsmanship but still mostly entertaining.
People need to stop acting like they're sitting on a high horse and read Shakespeare only stuff.
One of my favorite authors is Wesley Chu, whose Time Salvager series is being adapted by Michael Bay. RPO is still fucking garbage.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The passive aggressive defensiveness is super weird. When you start typing a serious "Era does this" post, you already know you're gonna deliver an insightful gem.

I don't hate the first book so much as I had forgotten its existence tbh.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017

I like how on the same page that people point out the book's casual sexism, racism, and transphobia, you waltz in with this take.

Maybe people take issue with how the book reflects the world view of a mediocre man-child who has no self-awareness whatsoever. Maybe it's frustrating seeing reflections of this man's vapidness elevated and praised and made into a movie.

That ain't elitism. That's just reading beneath the narrative's surface, which is thinner than the pages it's printed on.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I read the book multiple time. It's garbage but admittedly it's kind of fun. I think there's cool ideas in there scattered across, and a lot of the stuff taking place outside of the Oasis has the potential to be interesting. Wade's home getting bombed and going on the run, and ending up infiltrating the big evil corporation was at least kind of neat.

It's just so bogged down with the endless amount of references to every bit of a very white, surface-level 80s nostalgia that anything interesting that could be said gets drowned out and quickly tossed aside.

At first I kind of chalked it up to "okay, this novel is told in the first person by what is obviously a self-insert in a world where pop culture knowledge had some kind of value, so this character that lives this way, of course they are going to describe everything like this because it's all they know" and then I read like a chapter of Armada and instantly realized that no, it's just really bad writing.

Again though, parts of it have the makings of something interesting, but the bad writing really hampers it. Still haven't seen the movie, no real interest in it.

I'd love to see someone else write a similar novel but the final big bad at the end is just the protagonist of Ready Player One.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Commentary
I like how on the same page that people point out the book's casual sexism, racism, and transphobia, you waltz in with this take.
Maybe it depends on the language / translation you've read the book in. I've read the german version and afaik the book was mostly met with positivity here. Only glanced through the english version once. Haven't read the french version myself but friends also told me that the book was usually praised there as well.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda late for this isn't it? I saw someone else already started it
www.mcsweeneys.net

Excerpts from My Upcoming Novel, Ready Player Two: Girl Stuff

“Wow, Felicity,” he said. My Internet name was Felicity, after the coolest American girl doll. “I never met someone who knew so much about Harry/Dr...
Sasuke420 caressed my face. No, it was real life now, not the CyberNetTube, so I had to think of him by his real name: Keanu Reeves. "So, tell me," he said. "Who do you think would win in a fight between Superman and Goku?"

I smiled condescendingly. "The real question is, why would they fight when they're so busy kissing each other?"

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
The book isn't great, but its better than the film. Don't know if i can be bothered with a sequel.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
The first was the equivalent of junk food, which is fine to partake in occasionally and can be a nice escape from healthier fare, but should not entirely constitute one's diet. Honestly, after the shitshow that is 2020, I don't mind dialing down my expectations and having a bit of a fun, nostalgic romp of escapism in a familiar setting.

Also, I just bought Armada for bedtime reading....sounds like I am in for a stinker.....

I agree with your thoughts on Ready Player One, it's not well written at all, and overall pretty dumb, but I enjoyed it when I read it (granted, I think I was in early high school at the time) and there's nothing wrong with some dumb, silly fun.

Armada is just...on a whole other level. There is close to nothing redeeming about it on a technical or story level. Honestly, I would suggest not even bothering with it. It's not bad in a fun way. It's just bad in a bad way.

There is a certain scene in it that I will never forget and I can't imagine will ever be topped in my list of Dumbest Things I've Ever Read