• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a fan of the guy getting shot in the chest at 2:43 and not even reacting (I assume it wasn't a normal bullet but still)
Still, everything that's even a bit like SWAT 4 is a buy from me.

(Although, and this is such a weird complaint, the shooting looks too good and precise. SWAT 4 was so tense because of how hard it was to quickly aim perfectly. Maybe it just looks like that in the trailer, you probably don't want to promote a game with "Look how bad the shooting feels!)

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Not really a fan of the guy getting shot in the chest at 2:43 and not even reacting (I assume it wasn't a normal bullet but still)
Still, everything that's even a bit like SWAT 4 is a buy from me.

(Although, and this is such a weird complaint, the shooting looks too good and precise. SWAT 4 was so tense because of how hard it was to quickly aim perfectly. Maybe it just looks like that in the trailer, you probably don't want to promote a game with "Look how bad the shooting feels!)

There are lots of little issues I noticed in the trailer (at one point an AI fires their gun while its pointed at the ground) - at least its reassuring that its not all smoke and mirrors ;)

Feb 10, 2018
Looks pretty cool, having multiple ways of doing things is good, animation, gunplay and A. I look quite clunky.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
The game is based heavily on SWAT4 - which was a game more focused on the technicalities of being a police officer. We've joked often that the game holds you to more stringent standards than the cops in real life. While it's possible that they go more political with Ready or Not, my gut says they'll avoid it entirely.

I dunno about that. Like we discussed earlier in the thread, they're covering some touchy subjects. The trailer after this one shows a SWAT dude having some PTSD flashbacks to a human trafficking op during training. I genuinely can only hope they lean into that and do it well.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I've been following this game since the reveal back in 2017. SWAT 3 and 4 are two of my favourite games of all time.

Seeing Q4 2020 is more than dissapointing. The revealed it WAY to early.

The gameplay looks okay, I mean, given they have almost a year and a half of development it seems like it has great potential. But I'm pretty underwhelmed.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Since they've planned for the end of next year, that's quite a bit of time to get content in and iron out some shit. I also assume they've budgeted for such a distant release date (I really hope so). Looking forward to seeing more stuff next year.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Q4 2020 is more than dissapointing. The revealed it WAY to early.

The gameplay looks okay, I mean, given they have almost a year and a half of development it seems like it has great potential. But I'm pretty underwhelmed.

i recall them having way too small of a team for something of this scale - might explain the timelines

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
i recall them having way too small of a team for something of this scale - might explain the timelines
Yes, they have, I know it's an indie team.

But they might have also made this way bigger than they can, scope wise. For example, I don't know if they truly think that the preorder money is going to be flowing for more than a year and a half. If their expectatives to keep working on this are those, then best of luck for them.

I still want to play the game, but I really think they have a rough time ahead.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
So is Killing American Style an actual book or was that an Amir Shervan reference?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Looks promising but I fear with all these options the controls will be really finicky.

Also I can already tell visibility will be a huge problem in PVP if the parts in that video are anything to go by.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they have, I know it's an indie team.

But they might have also made this way bigger than they can, scope wise. For example, I don't know if they truly think that the preorder money is going to be flowing for more than a year and a half. If their expectatives to keep working on this are those, then best of luck for them.

I still want to play the game, but I really think they have a rough time ahead.

It's weird they haven't gone for publisher backing of some kind. I'm sure Devolver or some other pub would be more than interested in seeing this flesh out.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it's just an indie team?
If they need to cut down on scope for budget reasons, hopefully PVP is the first thing to be axed.
The big ol' GTAV style trailer made me think this had some bucks behind it 😅

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Did i see an enemy with an ICP neck tattoo?

Also the AI seems brain-dead. I saw multiple spots where they were just walking and shot the ground.. lol

It's early, but I'll take this game with any amount of jank,. I loved the SWAT series.
That first ground shot looked like it was from getting wounded during its AI routine. If the game has that (enemies reactively firing from a wound), that'd be a nice inclusion.

The second was definitely a bug.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Well, colour me intrigued.

I wish it was thematically a bit more interesting. Like, I dunno... cyberpunk cops and robbers rather than just regular modern day cops and robbers.

Still, looks fun. Interested to see more. Especially in terms of how you control your NPC buddies and how the multiplayer works.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
goddamn this looks great. Loved SWAT 3 while growing up, played a bit of SWAT 4 too but didn't own it. There's a noticeable lack of tactical, "grounded" FPS like the SWAT series so this fills a gap quite nicely.

I remember I tried to play SWAT 3 as non-lethal as possible. I loved how big (for the time) the maps were, like that Eastern Orthdox Church, or the millionaire's house with the hijackers.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it's carrying the torch of SWAT 4 really well.

Happy to hear about mod support. I think any core issue with AI and content can be improved upon to help compliment the vision. ArmA became a great military simulation because of mod support allowing much more than what the base game tried to do. I expect the same here.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
They should probably change the title in Canada:

Man I hated this show as a kid. Mainly because it was my sisters favorite. If my sister likes it, it must suck. 12 year old boys reasoning always makes total sense:lol

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Looks promising, been waiting for a new SWAT 4 type game for as long as I can remember so hopefully this lives up to the hype.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it's carrying the torch of SWAT 4 really well.

Happy to hear about mod support. I think any core issue with AI and content can be improved upon to help compliment the vision. ArmA became a great military simulation because of mod support allowing much more than what the base game tried to do. I expect the same here.

Yes to this post

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I do wonder if they'll allow customization like gender. So far it looks rather good. Hope they get some good preorders to get this finished.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I played hundreds of hours of Swat 4 online. I really look forward to this. It was a long time coming.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I've literally been waiting a decade for this. The ballistics simulation looks insane.
It's been 14 years since SWAT4 came out... holy shit. It didn't seem that long ago, I'm old.
This is trying to take on the mantle of a game that casts a huge shadow. From the trailer, it looks like they're on the right track.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still hope the game will hold itself to the non-lethal focus Swat 4 had. I don't expect it, but the most memorable thing about Swat 4 was how the entire point system was based around doing an actual good job and finishing the Operation with as little casualties as possible, preferably none at all. Even unnecessary violence would bring your points down. It's so unique in that regard.

But one can hope.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I still hope the game will hold itself to the non-lethal focus Swat 4 had. I don't expect it, but the most memorable thing about Swat 4 was how the entire point system was based around doing an actual good job and finishing the Operation with as little casualties as possible, preferably none at all. Even unnecessary violence would bring your points down. It's so unique in that regard.

But one can hope.

I'm sure they're going to consider that, or like SWAT 4, have a lot of that be a part of difficulty selection. If all else fails, you know there's gonna be mods for it.

But I think we'll be okay. A big SWAT 4 modder is actually on the team. He created the Elite Force mod, which I think is regarded as the definitive way to play the original game. That mod actually showed you realtime penalties to procedure, too.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017

But one can hope.
There's definitely non-lethal weapons in game. They've shown off a taser, stinger grenade, tear gas grenade launcher, a paintball gun loaded with pepperballs, and a beanbag shotgun.

Why do they use assault rifles? Wouldn't something like a P90 be better?
Most military and police forces nowadays are moving towards using short-barreled rifles over submachine guns for close quarters combat.

This is mainly due to the fact that 5.56mm NATO assault rifle rounds have a higher initial velocity but lower mass than pistol rounds. This means that it is powerful enough to penetrate NIJ Level II class body armor, but once it goes through a barrier the bullet will either fragment or lose a lot of energy, meaning that it is less likely to penetrate multiple walls in a building/house. A 9mm pistol/SMG bullet may have a lot less initial velocity, but its mass allows it to carry its energy further which can lead to it penetrating multiple layers of drywall compared to a 5.56 round.

In short, short barreled assault rifles offer better body armor penetration/meat damage while at the same time reducing the chances of collateral damage from a bullet going through multiple walls.

Also, if you compare the length of a SBR vs a MP5, it's not that much longer
2k1BIVP.jpg

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Awkward game title, but I dig the concept. I love SWAT4 because it's not like Rainbow Six where you shoot every potential threat instantly. To consider real danger and decide to shoot within a second whether a suspect drops his gun or decides to shoot at you is really intense. Top priority is saving lifes which also means to cuff hostiles, convince them to lay down their weapons. This is such a stark contrast to almost any other shooter out there.

I'm intrigued from the idea and glad that there's a developer following SWAT 4's footsteps.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
These trailers always make me feel for the voice actor who probably doesn't even play video games like these, and who i imagine come out of these recordings feeling so awkward about saying all these strange sentences dripping with posturing.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

But one can hope.
That trailer shows about half fire fights and half them going using nonlethal cuffing/zip tying suspects/hostages. I don't see this game prioritizing lethal over non lethal as a whole, but maybe in individual scenarios.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
That trailer shows about half fire fights and half them going using nonlethal cuffing/zip tying suspects/hostages. I don't see this game prioritizing lethal over non lethal as a whole, but maybe in individual scenarios.

I'm wondering if we'll see ROE changing based on the scenario, although I'm not sure how realistic that is.

I did think it odd in SWAT 4 that a high-risk warrant was handled the same way as, for example, the mission where you're responding to terrorists shooting up a hospital.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if we'll see ROE changing based on the scenario, although I'm not sure how realistic that is.

I did think it odd in SWAT 4 that a high-risk warrant was handled the same way as, for example, the mission where you're responding to terrorists shooting up a hospital.
I'm not sure what you mean by ROE changing based on the scenario? Like dynamically as things play our in the mission, or different missions start with lethal authorized from the outset vs not?

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm not sure what you mean by ROE changing based on the scenario? Like dynamically as things play our in the mission, or different missions start with lethal authorized from the outset vs not?

The latter - IIRC the "you can't fire unless fired upon/aimed at/suspect aiming at a civilian" thing is in place at the outset of all missions in SWAT 4. Again, I don't know how this works in real life, but I'm assume it would be different depending on if they were responding to a terrorist attac w/ automatic weapons vs. a pre-planned arrest in a residential neighborhood.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
The latter - IIRC the "you can't fire unless fired upon/aimed at/suspect aiming at a civilian" thing is in place at the outset of all missions in SWAT 4. Again, I don't know how this works in real life, but I'm assume it would be different depending on if they were responding to a terrorist attac w/ automatic weapons vs. a pre-planned arrest in a residential neighborhood.
That would be interesting to see, but at that point tactics become less important if you can go around head shotting any fool with a gun. Unless you're forced to be say, a sniper or a negotiator who isn't armed.