• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be *that guy* but if I recall, didn't the early reviews from last time, LOVE the movie? I just remember that being a pretty big one, but I could be off.

I really want this to be good too :(

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
let's cover all the bases

- "these don't matter these people are fans"
- *digs up old tweets about BvS*
- "no actually this reviewer is legit"

etc, etc.

there I saved us four pages

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've literally never seen a negative pre-release tweet from Erik Davis lol. Not once. It's possible one exists, but I haven't seen it

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
User Warned: Low-effort drive-by post.
Aren't these early "reviews" just paid lies?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure the movie will be good, but lets not forget the glowing twitter reaction from WW84.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Damn it's super weird how hiring a good filmmaker to do his thing supposedly resulted in a better product than an executive-driven hodgepodge of focus tested elements that was recut to resemble a teaser trailer.

I'm sure there's some sort of lesson in here for studios to ignore in the future.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
If you think these reactions are useless then why not just go into theater expecting movie to suck, or not go at all?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
the 'they go the whole way on the R-rating!' WOOO MATURE SWEARING aspect makes these reviews somehow even sadder than usual

Context matters.

Most of the reviews mentioning that are mentioning in the context that the film balances the hard R rating with having an emotional story where you'll care about the characters, which is often not the case for films that go over the top with violence.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
These kinds of posts are starting to become pretty blatant shitposts at this point.

Why are you even in the thread at all if you don't trust reaction tweets? Just to let everyone know?
This same logic could be applied to so many different threads. I think it's fair to point out that reaction tweets are so consistently positive and thus hold little value.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly so tired of reaction tweet threads because it's just the same posts (and probably posters?) every damn time about how not to take them seriously

I think we get it guys, you don't need to remind us every time

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly so tired of reaction tweet threads because it's just the same posts (and probably posters?) every damn time about how not to take them seriously

No you see they're doing everyone a great service by constantly reminding them to be wary of getting excited about something. It's very valuable for them to do so for... reasons.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Probably just paid in invites to preview/press screenings, which would go away if they were critical.

I feel like the ones with embedded gifs and publicity images are more likely to be following a studio suggested impressions format.
Tweets with images just get more engagement, which is obviously everyone's goal here, so I wouldn't put too much weight on that as a parameter to judge this.

In any case, soon enough we will have full-fledged reviews. It's going to be hard to be worse than the first one, that's for sure, so that's something.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017

Then people should stop posting this shill shit that has literally no value.

Lmao I remember this specific tweet. What a weaselly little liar, dude!
Just learned he is a "managing editor" at Fandango. Shock of all shocks, guy who praises every blockbuster under the sun is in the selling movie tickets biz.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017

I think people probably need it, because I keep seeing posters whine about things being overhyped after they went far out of their way to lap up the hype.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I bet people reacted well to the original Suicide Squad too.

Hope you didn't bet too much.

The majority of early Twitter reactions on the first film were from a fan screening -- not critics with blue checkmarks.

From what I can find, the first real critic reactions for the film when actual reviews hit and those, as we know, were not good.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Just learned he is a "managing editor" at Fandango. Shock of all shocks, guy who praises every blockbuster under the sun is in the selling movie tickets biz.

And yet, there are numerous other reactions than just that one person that come from critics/writers.

It's not a big deal. People just like getting early reactions and, in turn, a general idea of what to expect. Because what we saw with WW84 was not common and it's rare that early critic reactions like this end up being overwhelmingly positive for a film that is actually bad.