• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slyfox

Oct 28, 2017
It is a spoiler. What if he said the movie sucked. It changes your expectations heading into the movie.

Super Amikami

Oct 28, 2017
There are deeply unreasonable people in every walk of life. I cant imagine this extreme end of the spectrum is widespread? I don't think you should break over this lol.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
D5FAnblWAAEdMe1.jpg

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I try to be respectful through and through with spoilers, but I've seen people moaning in relation to Endgame about:

- People discussing material officially released in trailers

- People disclosing there are no post credit scenes as such

And assorted other things that's just ridiculous. I wouldn't mind but this is all done in threads specifically dedicated to talking about aspects of the movie

It diminishes away the real asshats who drop real spoilers left, right and centre
The bolded is hilarious to me. Like, they're telling you that so you know not to stick around and can go home. lol

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The bolded is hilarious to me. Like, they're telling you that so you know not to stick around and can go home. lol
I've had people scold me for telling them the runtime. I thought I was giving them a heads up so they could plan their days, since they were avoiding info related to the movie and may have missed how long it was. But they cried spoilers and claimed they'd now be watching the clock to know how much would be left to go.

Robotnik

Nov 3, 2017
I was just scrolling through YouTube and stumbled upon a pirated clip that looked super spoilery just from the thumbnail :( :( :(

be careful on YouTube everybody

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I've had people scold me for telling them the runtime. I thought I was giving them a heads up so they could plan their days, since they were avoiding info related to the movie and may have missed how long it was. But they cried spoilers and claimed they'd now be watching the clock to know how much would be left to go.
Jesus. lol

The hysteria around Endgame spoilers is getting to be exhausting. I'm trying not to be a curmudgeon because ultimately everyone is just having fun, but folks are doing the absolute most with this movie.

Pacify

Oct 30, 2017
I agree with everyone who says ignore it, but it is sad how it's spreading. I've known people for years who suddenly started caring about spoilers (as in any information) in a religious way.

The peak of anti spoiler culture for me was seeing people pissed off at A Star Is Born for spoiling the ending, during the start of the film. Which makes me sad that anyone can reduce the quality of a movie to if it surprised them or not. Foreshadowing is a tool, and a lot of works reference archetypes as old as recorded storytelling. There's movies, plays, etc. where you're supposed to have an idea of what's going to happen.

It's hard to not get sucked in though. Half of my Instagram feed and a lot of what I saw on Reddit the past few weeks were either memes about avoiding spoilers or people making statements against spoilers.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If someone told you their dog just died before you went to see the movie, it'd be a spoiler because it'd ruin your mood.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine to think that knowing someone else's opinion on something will set up your expectations, but at that point you can't expect other people to look out for you. You can expect other people to be mindful enough to not blurt out to you or in public that "XY dies", but when "I liked the movie" is too much it's no one but your own's responsibility to stay away from places like Twitter.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Personally I think that spoiler-phobia is completely unreasonable regardless.

Do people really never go back to watch movies, read books or play games they've enjoyed, even though they know the storyline and what the plot twists are? Because there's so much more to enjoy in a piece of media than just the pure narrative itself, like acting, writing style or gameplay.
I feel like it's ridiculous to strip a piece of media, even one that is focused on narrative, down to being just one single thing and say you cannot possibly enjoy it knowing a detail about it. Does it really make it completely impossible for someone to enjoy Star Wars knowing the Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father?

It's even worse if people do this kind of shit with things that are decades, if not centuries old. Not too long ago I was scolded for spoilers about Blade Runner. And I mean the 1982 movie, not the newer one. Some other time, I was yelled at for spoiling a gameplay mechanic from CrossCode that is introduced in its tutorial.

Outrage about spoiling things has absolutely gotten out of hand, and I cannot comprehend it whatsoever.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for Endgame and its boring and very bluish midsection between minutes 85 and 97 to be the smallest issue in the internet.

But hopefully it will lead to an increased general interest in jazz!

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
There is a guy at work who gets mad at us for discussing game of thrones because he is waiting till the end to watch the final season...

Like... wtf.
Good luck with that

amanset

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not big on violence, but loudly discussing the plot in the entrance to the cinema is a dumb fucking thing to do and exactly the opposite of what I wrote about earlier about being considerate.

Anyone in here fancy defending him? Because a lot of people in here have been using the extreme end of wanting to avoid spoilers and acting like that is "spoiler culture". Well I give you this and the guy that was going around Reddit posting spoilers in unrelated subreddits purely to piss people off. If what you are discussing is "spoiler culture" then this just as much is.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I'm not big on violence, but loudly discussing the plot in the entrance to the cinema is a dumb fucking thing to do

And yet, it still doesn't warrant getting the shit beaten out of you. Fictional content should never be so important that it elicits the kind of visceral response that will cause someone to physically assault someone else, so yes, I will staunchly defend anyone who gets beat up over something so ridiculous.

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017

Would love to see her do a video on this.

Disney and other studios are stoking the flames of spoiler-phobia

ALSO NO ONE SHOULD BE A VICTIM OF VIOLENCE FOR SPOILING A FUCKING MOVIE. JESUS CHRIST THAT SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE SAID

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Saying you like something as a spoiler is ridiculous. But i also think straight up spoiling things that happen in TV/Film the day it comes out or before it comes out like major deaths on your FB/Twitter timeline knowing damn well you are spoiling it for your friends is some dick head shit. I always delete social media and stuff from my phone when i know something i don't want to get spoiled is about to come out like End Game. And i run GOT blocker on twitter.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Would love to see her do a video on this.

Disney and other studios are stoking the flames of spoiler-phobia

ALSO NO ONE SHOULD BE A VICTIM OF VIOLENCE FOR SPOILING A FUCKING MOVIE. JESUS CHRIST THAT SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE SAID

I know we've had our disagreements but this is one area where we are in full agreement. Thank you for making this thread.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You can't even speculate here without people freaking out with "Well I don't know if you're actually talking about spoilers or not!"

Like no, I'm having fun with my imagination.

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
I know we've had our disagreements but this is one area where we are in full agreement. Thank you for making this thread.
I just see this stupidity as a natural progression of spoiler culture. Call me crazy but someone will fucking die as a result of this shit. We already have a story of someone getting the shit kicked out of them for spoiling a movie.

And honestly fuck Disney for encouraging it. Its just another sleazy marketing tool to rile people up.

You can't even speculate here without people freaking out with "Well I don't know if you're actually talking about spoilers or not!"

Like no, I'm having fun with my imagination.
Its frustrating, art is meant to be discussed and shared with one another.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I asked a friend during BOTWs release where he was in the game on two occasions. Both times I got yelled at not to spoil anything. I fucking hate this shit so much.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed 100%. I would also add:
  • Spoiler talk for a work that is a year or more old is fair game
  • Spoilers do not ruin the work for you; and even if they did, it's a work of entertainment, it's not the end of the world and you need to calm the fuck down
That Key & Peele sketch is hilarious to me because I've actually been stuck on the first Game of Thrones book for years. I've had various details from later on in the saga accidentally spoiled for me in that time. But what, is the whole world just supposed to fucking stop for me, and not talk about something that people like, which has been on TV for eight years? No, I'm not nearly that entitled. People need to get a grip, lol.

Don't go to the gaming side.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I think that spoiler-phobia is completely unreasonable regardless.

Do people really never go back to watch movies, read books or play games they've enjoyed, even though they know the storyline and what the plot twists are? Because there's so much more to enjoy in a piece of media than just the pure narrative itself, like acting, writing style or gameplay.
I feel like it's ridiculous to strip a piece of media, even one that is focused on narrative, down to being just one single thing and say you cannot possibly enjoy it knowing a detail about it. Does it really make it completely impossible for someone to enjoy Star Wars knowing the Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father?

It's even worse if people do this kind of shit with things that are decades, if not centuries old. Not too long ago I was scolded for spoilers about Blade Runner. And I mean the 1982 movie, not the newer one. Some other time, I was yelled at for spoiling a gameplay mechanic from CrossCode that is introduced in its tutorial.

Outrage about spoiling things has absolutely gotten out of hand, and I cannot comprehend it whatsoever.

This is for you:

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried making a joke about this in another thread but people thought I was serious lol, it's worse than I thought I guess

Nov 14, 2017
I asked a friend during BOTWs release where he was in the game on two occasions. Both times I got yelled at not to spoil anything. I fucking hate this shit so much.
That's pretty wild. The plot in that game is virtually non-existent (and it's better for it IMO).

I personally associate an obsession with spoilers with poor quality plot heavy stories. When the main draw of a story is just seeing what happens and not so much how the characters respond then spoilers removes the main attraction of seeing a story. It's weird because I feel like it used to be almost the opposite, in that big plot points would be openly discussed in order to try to get people interested in a piece of media.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I am starting to feel all this culture of "spoiler alert" is fueled around making people feel like they need to rush into things and push them into consuming the content. It is all about hurry do not think about it you need to watch it fast so you can move from the no spoiler camp...

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's pretty wild. The plot in that game is virtually non-existent (and it's better for it IMO).

I personally associate an obsession with spoilers with poor quality plot heavy stories. When the main draw of a story is just seeing what happens and not so much how the characters respond then spoilers removes the main attraction of seeing a story. It's weird because I feel like it used to be almost the opposite, in that big plot points would be openly discussed in order to try to get people interested in a piece of media.
Thats a solid point. And a super solid user name.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Listened to mark Kermode's review yesterday - waited until after seeing the film which seems sensible just in case

Makes me wonder what a review can talk about without plot spoiling. He tried his best but indirectly spoiled a few things. Maybe they'd be less noticeable if you hadn't seen the film yet, but I'd think many fans would pick up on them and read between the lines

Basically if you're worried about going in clean just keep away from any discussion until after you've seen it yourself

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Don't let those comical examples distract from the fact that there is a very real problem with people spoiling shit all the time.

This dialogue that spoiling plot points for someone who has not experienced a story is not a big deal is the highest form of bullshit.

In this very forum, as with GAF, we still have a large chunk of users who don't understand how to properly use the spoiler tags.