• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
I was told by a couple coworkers before Force Awakens came out that the Rotten Tomatoes score was a spoiler lol.

Also that instance was really funny since he was going around the office spreading what he thought was a bullshit spoiler but it was an actual spoiler.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I find spoilers don't much affect my enjoyment of movies anyways. Fake spoilers are also fun.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I dunno man, it's dumb as shit when taken to that extreme but generally I don't have the energy to be mad about it.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movie reviews, impressions, previews, etc Are all straight up toxic now a days. The amount of bitching that goes on is embarrassing. Its almost as if people look foward to the media frenzy then the actual movie itself. Fucking weird.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Spoilers do not affect me in the slightest. I however do not go out of my way to spoil other people. I give whatever it is enough breathing room before I will actively talk about a thing.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
its childish as fuck. One thing is some asshole telling plot details, another is expecting the rest of the world to shut up and not say if they like it or not.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Who cares about those people. As much as this is a spoiler-culture issue, it's a social media issue. Just because twitter gives everyone a platform doesn't mean you have to give a fuck about what everyone on that's platform thinks.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you tell me that a game or movie even exists, that too is a spoiler, and you should be ashamed.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Haven't actual studies shown that spoilers basically have no effect on how people enjoy media?

Like, I get it. Some people are assholes and will spoil things in a vindictive way, And that's not right. But the whole "no spoilers!" marketing ploy is bizarre, and it gets weirder when people complain about how things that are literally in a trailer or officially announced are spoilers.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
people were raging about the fact that... fuck, let me be extra careful here I guess

about the fact that
there is no mid credit scene
in End Game, information that serves only to
help you know if you can leave the theatre, probably at a late hour as it is, and go home after a long ass movie.
But apparently thats a spoiler. The word has lost all meaning.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Shit. Now I know that Star Wars and Endgame are probably told in a narrative format, and therefore have things to spoil. I was going in blind, was hoping they would just be 1 frame every 90 minutes or so.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
A Song of Ice and Fire and the Souls seem to get the most ridiculous about it. You're not allowed to say a character name and a book title for ASOIAF because that's a spoiler. The whole subreddit turned into "That thing that happened (spoilers all)" which made the whole thing useless for amyone who hadn't read every single book anyway.

For the Souls series, telling people you're going to fight a giant monster in the Forsaken Valley is some horrible spoiler. If you need to know nothing about the game to enjoy it, maybe don't go to a place where people are talking about the game. The funniest thing I saw was someone complaining about how you can't turn the messages off and that ruins the game because it is spoilers.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

This is a good thread.

I got slagged for, in the Avengers Endgame review thread, commenting that I noticed several reviews, including some from pretty big industry publications, did't even mention a character and so they apparently didn't play a big role in the movie. That's... not a spoiler.

People being assholes doesn't make her take not be incredibly dumb.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
people were raging about the fact that... fuck, let me be extra careful here I guess

about the fact that
there is no mid credit scene
in End Game, information that serves only to
help you know if you can leave the theatre, probably at a late hour as it is, and go home after a long ass movie.
But apparently thats a spoiler. The word has lost all meaning.

Not seeing it until Saturday.

I've heard there's a scene after the credits roll though, is that true? I'm getting conflicting information here...

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People will look at this shit and then claim it's justification for ruining people's enjoyment of things with actual spoilers

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
A Song of Ice and Fire and the Souls seem to get the most ridiculous about it. You're not allowed to say a character name and a book title for ASOIAF because that's a spoiler. The whole subreddit turned into "That thing that happened (spoilers all)" which made the whole thing useless for amyone who hadn't read every single book anyway.

For the Souls series, telling people you're going to fight a giant monster in the Forsaken Valley is some horrible spoiler. If you need to know nothing about the game to enjoy it, maybe don't go to a place where people are talking about the game. The funniest thing I saw was someone complaining about how you can't turn the messages off and that ruins the game because it is spoilers.

someone was upset that they found out the greatsword was in... dark souls 3? 2? it was back on Gaf I cant remember exactly. But yeah...

also "DIABLO IS THE LAST BOSS IN DIABLO 3? FUCK THANKS ALOT!" I will always treasure this nugget, also from Gaf.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Great... Now I know there are things to be spoiled in Endgame. Thanks, OP.

Not real spoilers, or maybe they are.

It's revealed that Tony left some meat in the cave back in IM1. It eventually got so spoiled that it mutated into a monster, and the next 40 MCU movies will be about them gathering a force large enough to take down the new villain, S.M.M, or Spoiled Meat Monster. We should see our heroes vanguish it sometime in the mid 2050s.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

I completely agree with this. I had Star Wars spoiled to me for years, yet I was still blown away when I first saw the movie. They make very little difference. If anything, being so obsessed with a movie is going to do much more to kill your enjoyment of it than a spoiler...

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anything shown in official promotional material is fair game for open discussion.

Anything older than two years is fair game for open discussion (the older something is the less excuse you have to not have seen it yet).

Broad critical impressions are not spoilers.

Anything that is a foundational work of the zeitgeist is fair game after a short amount of time (IE if you don't see Endgame or TRoS before they leave theaters you are responsible for the risk).

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't call saying you liked something a spoiler, but I do hate real spoilers and I hate the people that spread them. Especially when it's for something that is important to me.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
If a narrative doesn't hinge entirely on a shocking twist, there's nothing much to spoil anyway.

Spoiler panic is a marketing strategy that got carried away.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
If you really really really cared about no spoilers at all, you should be off social media.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anything shown in official promotional material is fair game for open discussion.

Anything older than two years is fair game for open discussion (the older something is the less excuse you have to not have seen it yet).

Broad critical impressions are not spoilers.

Anything that is a foundational work of the zeitgeist is fair game after a short amount of time (IE if you don't see Endgame or TRoS before they leave theaters you are responsible for the risk).
I agree with this. There's a certain window where reasonable spoilers shouldn't be done. But like, after a couple weeks, the dusting memes are gonna be out there. You need to see these big things quickly or deal with spoilers. Or stay off the Internet.
Anime-leaps over this comment

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
That is really excessive. I don't mind spoilers too much, I try to avoid them but don't shut out the world. I think part of the experience is the freshness of it, the movie can still be enjoyable but that first viewing is something special.

One thing I hated is that I am behind on GoT, and while I avoid spoiler threads I do normal web browsing. But the day after the last episode there were memes and posts on Twitter and Facebook, out in the open about the episode. I can't avoid it forever, but damn people give it a week!

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Yeah, this is a thing for sure (other opinions creating an expectation in the thing) but:

1. It isn't a spoiler
2. If you're such a child you can't read someone else's opinion and not manage your expectations you need to take a long, hard look at yourself.

I mean sure, going in completely blind without seeing reviews so you can go in with the 'mind as new' as much as possible is great, but that's on you to manage, and also needing to understand your own pre-conceptions.

But I'd also put money on it the kind of people who do this also make 'I noticed small detail Y contradicts small detail X from a previous film in this universe, and it completely ruined the film for me.' threads.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Troll on Twitch Chat spoiled TFA the night before and it basically ruined the 2nd half for me.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
It's nuts. While I have fucked up before I really try my best to be mindful of spoiling other people's experiences, and then I enter a spoiler thread on this forum where folks are using a bunch of spoiler tags for the topic and all I can do is throw my arms up.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
On the one hand, I totally understand the desire to avoid spoilers. I get that people like being surprised and going into things fresh, especially when the spoiler concerned something that could affect your experience. Also, people absolutely can be dicks about these things and will purposely spoil things just to try and ruin it for others.

On the other hand, I think people who are concerned about spoilers need to be more realistic about things. In the case of something like Endgame or the final season of Game of Thrones, you can't expect millions of people to just not talk about it until you've caught up. Like I said, there are some people who are just dicks and won't extend the small courtesy of waiting a while (I'm talking like a day maybe here) to talk about something in detail. However, I wager that's not really most people and the truth is you're just behind the curve a bit. It shouldn't be that hard to just not get on Twitter for a few hours until you've seen the newest episode of Attack on Titan or whatever.

We also need to be clearer on what a "spoiler" actually is. For example, some folks called Mewtwo being revealed in the second Detective Pikachu trailer a spoiler and I'm like, "How?" We don't know what his role in the plot is nor the context of the small snippet we saw of him. I understand wanting to be surprised by things, but being obsessed about it to the point that you don't want companies to show anything is how we get silliness like that one Star Trek movie not telling us Khan was Khan even though we all knew it was Khan.

As a final note, I think the "geek" sphere especially needs to be self aware about the fact that we consume media in a very different way than most people. Most people only really see movie trailers when they go to the movies or when commercials start hitting. Folks like your average Era user tend to pour over every trailer, TV spot, interview, screenshot, set visit, leak, etc. When you're that engrossed in things, you're going to get spoiled sometimes. Hell, even things that aren't necessarily spoilers might come across that way because we consume SO MUCH media that we have an easier time spotting tropes or patterns.

So TL;DR, I get it. I really do. However, you gotta be realistic and remember it's ultimately not a big deal.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do not respect anybody who ever says the word "spoiler" out loud in any context.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I sent a friend of mine a picture of the certified fresh badge with no other context and he literally blocked my number. The dude's 32 years old. Spoiler culture is real.

No way

Dammmmnnn.

I agree

Btw, if you spoil something and that ruins the movie, because it's entire structure is based on that trick, than it's a shit movie.

Empire Strikes Back wasn't amazing because of the final twist. It might dampen the experience, but it won't ruin it if you know beforehand.

Last edited:

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's ridiculous. On the other side of things I'm at work and I'm sitting there with 2 guys discussing it and one of them just casually dropped what I imagine is a huge spoiler.

Thanks.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I think going crazy over spoilers is stupid, but I also think getting mad about people going crazy over spoilers is stupid. OP don't let stupid people raise your blood pressure, you gotta learn to just ignore them.