• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Fully agree, OP. Hope they really flesh out the merchant in the remake so he feels a part of the world and is not the same teleporting hobo that looks like he's about to open his coat and show off his "wares" while spouting the same meme lines over and over.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I'll give the duke cooking, like would be good if re4 merchant could cook that fish but the other stuff you list is actually reasons that go against him personally and make re4 merchant better

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Merchant is better for memes, and is far more iconic.

Duke is a Michael better character though and felt like an actual part of the lore. Really mysterious and charismatic, and overall I prefer him by quite a bit.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Duke needs a whole game and expanded script to attempt to be likable

RE4 merchant needs like 6-8 words and a laugh to be legendary

Try again OP

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Duke creeped me out.

Merchant is a Slipknot member.

1f68beebb314e0325bf5f93dd7ff7519.jpg

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Legit one of the worst takes I've seen in the Gaming section

Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the Duke's obviously an actual character unlike the Merchant which is neat, but the Merchant's lines and mannerisms are too hilarious to not be the GOAT

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like them both because of how different they are, but I do prefer the Duke myself too. He's a bro.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Merchant was a walking meme that people are nostalgic for but The Duke felt like an actual character with backstory and motivate. He was way more compelling imo.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
Isn't the whole appeal with the Merchant that he doesn't have any explicit narrative.

He doesn't have a name, he's clearly infected with the parasite but doesn't care, he's got a massive amount of inventory but like 2 clients at best. You can shoot him and he'll pop back up unless you're on a higher difficulty then your fucked.

He's a goofy nonsensical character in a goofy nonsensical game. That's the appeal.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Village nailed a lot of shit but the Duke was a miss IMO. I finished it three times and the only line of his I remember is the reference to the merchant.

I really liked his cooking though.

Trigger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The merchant not having much of a personality is a plus. The popularity of the character comes from him being a meme. Like I think the Duke is intriguing, but it's not really fair to compare a meme character to an actual character.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
i was shocked at how cool and friendly the Duke was

when I saw him my first thought "oh great, a butt of the joke fat guy" but he's like the nicest person in the series

Merchant still owns though

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Put it up for a vote if you're feelin' confident, stranger. 😏

OP
OP
ket

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Put it up for a vote if you're feelin' confident, stranger. 😏

Any person on era knows that era polls are a terrible idea. There could be a poll picking which had a better story: Bloodborne or The Godfather and Bloodborne would still inexplicably win lol.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason duke can be considered more memorable is because he's important to the story, which kinda defeats his purpose as a merchant.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Duke has no iconic lines, animations or iconography.
The Merchant had a blue flame that you could spot from far and knew it was a safe place, his lines are catchy and his introduction as a random guy carrying an arsenal on his coat is miles better than the Duke's.

PhillyPaw

Apr 11, 2021
I agree. Just another example of how Nostalgia and group think overrate RE4. The merchant literally adds nothing and is to simply be there to sell you items.

Would love to see Capcom replace him with anyone just to see the tears of OG RE4 purists

May 26, 2018
He's okay but, like a lot of RE8, I think he comes across like a milktoast reimagining of RE4 elements that don't fully hit the mark. He's fine…

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While The Duke is more fleshed out, I still found him unmemorable aside from his design. Merchant is mysterious and has simple, iconic lines. Less is more.