• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Mantorok

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Character models I also thought were extremely good:
C6tJhbAKRQcdQbbkGn8HmU.jpg

thumb-1920-797142.jpg

Mia šŸ˜

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I think it would have been an even better game if it had no combat a la Outlast. Maybe. I don't know. It's a solid 8/10.

Oct 27, 2017
But no-one ever played through RE:1 multiple times because of fun gameplay experience, it's always been an awkward affair. In fact the awkwardness added to the tension if anything. I just don't think RE = perfect controls.

I do. Usually a couple of times a year.

The controls are what they are. To an extent, calling them "awkward" is objectively true. But I would also argue learning those systems, dealing with them and then watching your own progression as you perfect them is definitely fun. Like I say, the first play-through of a good RE game should always be tense, but tension has never been the only or even defining factor of re-playing the games. I have RE1 down to essentially a race track now, or a diorama of challenges to undertake, and the controls are still a part of that. And that really has been the case since the beginning. The best RE games have always been both.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Yeah, it's a fantastic game.

Also, the story it tells doesn't get anywhere near enough credit. I actually think it's got one of the best videogame stories I've ever come across.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 7 in VR is the Super Mario 64 of our generation.

I have to agree with this statement, there's a lot of great things in 7 I appreciate and love for what it attempted. Biggest one for me is never to be one afraid to go out of its comfort skin to be bold on a different perspective and take risks, as always has been with this series and the amazing minds behind it.

Also Zoe is a damn cutie, oh lawd.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Remake 2 is superior in every way.
Not even close to true.

Both games have a slightly less great final third, but both have incredible opening and mid sections. Neither is in contest with the other and both are a massive return to form after 5 and 6 (and I like 5 and 6)

RE7 has one of the most unique atmospheres in gaming, too. Such a great experience the first time through.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Your phrasing makes me confused?
Isn't it an action game?
Err no, it's a horror-adventure with a bit of action, before RE:4 that was the games always were.

It's not an action game but it has a lot of the action elements that require 60fps in its gameplay. Not to mention it being a first person game.

30fps is only really fine for turn based games and games devoid of fast responsive gameplay feedback.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, more like half a triumph. It was certainly a step in the right direction, but after you leave the mansion the game takes a hit it never recovers from. I also found the actual mansion to be lacking in exploration and puzzles.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that Capcom at least tried to go back to the series' horror roots with RE7, and it seemingly also allowed for REmake 2, but it won't be remembered by me as being a great game. It felt less like an actual RE game and more just a "modern" horror game like so many others that had come out more recently, and the tone was more Rob Zombie than Umbrella on top of that. I'm sure it was great in VR, but as a normal game with a regular perspective and controls, I found it severely lacking in the gameplay department.

For me, its existence matters more than the game itself.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE7 is fantastic. There's some stuff wrong with it but still it's one of my favorite games this gen. I love games like it and Until Dawn (another great game of this gen that doesn't get enough praise).

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first house and greenhouse are fantastic, Lucas is a slog, and by the time you get to the ship and mines it's mediocre.

OP
OP
Mantorok

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
For me, its existence matters more than the game itself.

This is kind of what I'm getting at, I've got no problem calling it a flawed game, but what it's done for RE (and horror games in general) is exceptional.

Now, if RE8 is a combination of what makes RE7 great and addresses the flaws, well then that's an entirely different conversation.

OP
OP
Mantorok

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
As for comparing it toRE:2, well imo that's like car and carpet. The only thing these games have in common is the engine, nothing more.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Now, if RE8 is a combination of what makes RE7 great and addresses the flaws, well then that's an entirely different conversation.

Yeah, maybe. I don't really like first-person usually for various reasons, but if they decide to continue with making it VR compatible, the mainline games will probably continue with that perspective; which is OK with some refinements. The biggest improvement they can make though overall is enemy variety...it was just extremely poor in RE7.

They should also change the aiming/zoom as well. It felt really bad to me (I wonder if this was a compromise because of VR), and even Remake 2 had problems in this area. It was supposed to be a third-person game, but it felt way too much like they almost just reused the same aiming controls as what they had with RE7. So it was a third-person game that controlled like a first-person almost. And no, I'm not asking for some modern TPS either, only that it actually feels good to use. Even though I did not particularly care for RE5, I think something closer to that with aiming would have felt a lot better. Could just be a general engine thing as well though.

OP
OP
Mantorok

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Yeah, maybe. I don't really like first-person usually for various reasons

Do you think it could be optional first/third person? Would that work? I'm guessing they would have to swing with one or the other. I think 3rd person is good for more action-oriented REs and first is good for the likes of 7. I wonder what they settle on.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think it could be optional first/third person? Would that work? I'm guessing they would have to swing with one or the other. I think 3rd person is good for more action-oriented REs and first is good for the likes of 7. I wonder what they settle on.

How many games have successfully implemented a good third-person perspective on top of first-person? I haven't played any that did this well, and the primary games that stick out were Bethesda RPGs...and their third-person was terrible. The level design and general gameplay interacts with the perspective, so I honestly don't see how they could, or even if they would consider doing this.

OP
OP
Mantorok

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
How many games have successfully implemented a good third-person perspective on top of first-person? I haven't played any that did this well, and the primary games that stick out were Bethesda RPGs...and their third-person was terrible. The level design and general gameplay interacts with the perspective, so I honestly don't see how they could, or even if they would consider doing this.

Thinking about some of the confrontations in RE7 actually it would be a disaster in 3rd person, would be nice to get a reveal on RE8 soon.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Just wondering but what makes the story so fantastic in your opinion? I wasn't a huge fan but I'm interested to see what others think.

- The strong, unique atmosphere/setting pulls you in.

- The characters (especially the Bakers) are memorable and intriguing. The way they made the Bakers the victims was good stuff.

- The game has a great sense of mystery.

- Less is indeed more. I love the smaller, more personal narrative.

- All the supernatural elements were handled well. Despite all the crazy stuff that happens, the game still manages to stay believable and grounded.

- The Eveline reveal with that photo at the end was super clever.

It's hard to pinpoint the exact reason why I like the story so much. It's a bit of everything really. Awesome setting. Amazing villains. Interesting mystery. It all felt extremely fresh and carefully thought out.

Last edited:

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Totally with you OP. It probably dethroned RE4 as my favorite Resident Evil. I loved everything about it.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First-half yes, and some of end-game.

When it tries to go all saw and such, it gets a bit iffy. Seems like RE5/RE6 Capcom was still getting influence in. RE5 and RE6 Capcom need to be put in a closet and never allowed back out.

But it's the best RE there has been. Yes, even better than RE2.

Zombies/T-Virus shit is best, go back to it Capcom. Black goop and shit were a bit meh, especially with the diversity of enemies.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Only if the PC version had VR support! Still have my fingers cross. But yes. I didn't think I'd enjoy it but was a great Resident evil game. Looking forward to replying it sometime soon.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Only if the PC version had VR support! Still have my fingers cross. But yes. I didn't think I'd enjoy it but was a great Resident evil game. Looking forward to replying it sometime soon.

I would actually say RE7VR is a system seller and worth it alone, But yeah it's criminal PCVR hasn't got the VR treatment yet of RE7.

I'll go on record and say it's impossible for me to play RE7 on the tv after VR, Pancake Resi just feels dated and generations behind after VR.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
Feel like a lot of people slept on this game because its first-person, not realising that it's actually closer to the first game than most of the other entries. A shame, because it's excellent.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I would actually say RE7VR is a system seller and worth it alone, But yeah it's criminal PCVR hasn't got the VR treatment yet of RE7.

I'll go on record and say it's impossible for me to play RE7 on the tv after VR, Pancake Resi just feels dated and generations behind after VR.

You think if we all spam Capcoms twitter they might listen?

Oct 28, 2017
Remake 2 is superior in every way.
No it isn't. The big moments hit waaaaaay harder in RE7. RE7 is scarier, boss fights are in a different league and it's just a more memorable experience. RE2 has stronger overall level design and was more authentic classic RE, but it didn't have the highs of RE7's big moments. There was nothing to rival the opening of RE7. Nothing like the Mia fight. Nothing like the dinner scene. Nothing the Jack garage fight. Nothing like the Marguerite fight. I'm much more high on RE7.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It's whatever. The level design is trying to evoke classic RE but it isn't even half as good as RE2R.
Reminds me of RE1 meets Outlast and I hate Outlast.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I thought it was a sometimes-great and sometimes-really-bad start of a new era for Resident Evil, kind of like a good concept that wasn't really fleshed-out all that well.

It feels a bit like a hodgepodge and while I really enjoyed some sections, the fact it's so short and that the entire last 1/3 goes from kind of lame to utter dog shit by the end of it really soured me on it on my second playthrough. I also think the Molded, overall enemy encounters and combat in general is thoroughly unenjoyable and more annoying than anything.

The most memorable aspect of RE7 to me is always the hope for a truly fleshed-out and bigger, better version of it for RE8.

BadWolf my man. REMake 2 shits on this game from dizzying heights as far as I'm concerned.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really great game and the invogoration the series needed again, but I can't place it as a top tier RE, it has some glaring flaws.

Poor enemy variety, a heavily scripted and unskippable intro that becomes tedious on replays, puzzle and map complexity feels too much like classic RE on training wheels, and a noticeable dip in quality after the Margueritte boss fight with a pretty bad final slog to the last boss.

Again, its a great game overall, but the RE2 remake was substantially better imo.

Oct 28, 2017
The first house and greenhouse are fantastic, Lucas is a slog, and by the time you get to the ship and mines it's mediocre.
Nah Lucas's section is unique and still great. The first time you knife a box and have it blow up in your face is great and sets the tone for the area. Navigating past his traps was really cool. You're introduced to the fat molded in a great way. Happy Birthday was absolutely fantastic and a highlight of the game.

The ship? Straight up the most underappreciated part of the game and was absolutely brilliant. The flashback did its job advancing the story, but the real shine was the present day ship. Great level design pure RE and the decision to take away all your stuff for this level and make you start with nothing was genius. That early part of the ship when you're navigating past molded with nothing to defend yourself with is some of the scariest parts of the game.

The mines wasn't so hot just a simple shooting gallery to the finish. But it was short and hardly put a damper on the game.

RE2 Remake post police station took a bigger dive in quality than RE7 did post house. MUCH bigger. The lab is just shite honestly.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Great game and I was impressed that Capcom did so well going first person after so many of their other games (all of them?) were third person. The DLCs are also really good and quite different from the main game.

My only complaint was the ugly slime enemies were kinda boring.