• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I'm replaying RE:7 for the second time, and for the horror-genre this game is an absolute triumph on Capcoms part. Bear in mind this is without even trying VR I've found it to be the most frightening, beautiful and compelling horror game I've played in a long time.

I've played many horror games, but even on the second play-through I cannot stomach the first 1/2 of this game, I find it impossible sometimes to walk through a door, the graphics, the setting, the Bakers, everything about this game is pure gut-wrenching horror at its finest, never has a game filled me a series of intoxicating emotions as this game has. On top of all this you have some of the trademark RE elements - wonderful. I have yet to find another horror game, which is, well as horrifying and scary simply put.

Sure, you could pick holes in it, but technically it's a triumph and sometimes you have to disregard any shortcomings with the gameplay elements because of the sheer atmosphere. Not to mention it paved the way for the also fantastic RE:2 remake.

I for one cannot wait for RE:8, and I sincerely hope they follow a similar pattern because I find RE:7 mind-blowing, IMO it's set the bar ridiculously high for horror-games.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played it in VR, and it ranks as one of my most memorable gaming experiences ever. It was astounding.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
The first half is literally the most horrifying/immersive experience I have ever enjoyed. Especially during the first playthrough when you dont know how the AI works and all those possible setpieces you can trigger. Its such a damn same that the second half is so meh.
Remake 2 is superior in every way.
I dont think they are compareable tbh. I loved them both, i would still want the next Resi to be like the first half of 7.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Game fell apart after Lucas but ok.

RE8 could be something special though.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
If the whole game could have kept the tension and atmosphere of the first few hours it could have been an all time great IMO

It fell off pretty hard sadly

OP
OP
Mantorok

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Game fell apart after Lucas but ok.

RE8 could be something special though.

Playing through it twice, I don't think it falls apart, I think that's a little harsh, it's still a gripping experience throughout. It's a shame it follows the same RE vices for that though, it's difficult to maintain quality when the opening sections are so damn good.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I thought it was alright, a lot of people describe it as "a masterclass in terror" and I never felt that. I never thought the game was particularly tense or scary due to how easy it was. Once you start using the block and crouch combo to duck/avoid most attacks, you're pretty much sorted. It was fun but not much more than that.

I'm hoping for an RE3 Remake to happen.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After playing resedinet evil 2 in past week , I m extremely disappointed in re7 .re2 is on another level of fun , horror , puzzle etc...

Re7 seems like a worse version of re2.esoecially the garbage part of re7 of underground levels

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
It was alright.
It's your usual First Person horror game.The second half is bad.
And the writing was bad.

OP
OP
Mantorok

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I thought it was alright, a lot of people describe it as "a masterclass in terror" and I never felt that.

I feel the first half is a masterclass, but I know everyone has different reactions to horror games, despite my love for horror games I am a bit of a pansy sometimes and this game just froze me up in certain sections, but I understand not everyone experiences it the same way.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I found it to be an extraordinarily mediocre shooter with the least enemy variety of any big budget game I've played. The first 3 or so hours are incredible, tense and varied but the Bakers basically disappear early in the game and the clock tower style chases and interesting set pieces abandoned until the finale.

Taken as a whole just a huge disappointment but I would definitely like another game in the same style that doesn't run out of gas so early on

OP
OP
Mantorok

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I'm not saying the game is perfect, my point is in terms of a horror-experience it ranks up there as an all-time best for me, I know you can pick many holes in the gameplay, story and degradation towards the end.

But for the parts where it truly shines it deserves full credit.

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I feel the first half is a masterclass, but I know everyone has different reactions to horror games, despite my love for horror games I am a bit of a pansy sometimes and this game just froze me up in certain sections, but I understand not everyone experiences it the same way.
Fair enough. I grew up with Resident Evil and although I love them, they've never been scary.

It was only a few years ago when I played both the Forbidden Siren and Silent Hill series for the first time and they were a lot more tense and unexpected compared to everything that RE offered me.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I adored it. The garage fight with Jack Baker was my absolute favorite part of the game. Loved how it could play out different ways, and how it perfectly invoked the slasher films where no matter how much the villain got destroyed, they would still keep coming at you. True, the game peaks early, and the mines are bland as fuck, but none of that takes away from the brilliance that preceded it. And if you haven't played the Bedroom DLC, you're missing out on more brilliance.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about triumph but yes it was very good. I'd personally rank 7 and 2R very close together

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
An utter thrill on PSVR.
And I was so close to not even trying the VR mode due to misleading impressions based on The Kitchen demo. Thankfully the press and community got the word out that it was outstanding. Several reviews simpy stated "add +1 points to the score if you are playing on PSVR".

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While there are things I have issues with (mainly BLOB MONSTERS and Lucas), It still made me feel gaming wasn't dead to me just yet, shit was brilliant.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I HATE it and after RE2 I see no good argument for going back to that shit considering how good and true to the series RE2 is.

RE7 might as well have no combat and it would be better game than what it was. Absolute garbage enemies and feel to the game, the movement and actually playing it. But woohoo dark corridors, creepy audio so scary!11 An RE game needs to be fun to play too and RE7 is not.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
I thought the game was brilliant, but I personally found the remake of the first game to much more scary and atmospheric.

The only bit of RE:7 that stood out to me was the first time you go into the basement.

I hope RE:8 is more similar to RE2 remake with the third person camera too

OP
OP
Mantorok

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
It's interesting to see the opposite views here, I'm a big RE fan, and I fully respect that RE:7, in essence is a horror-game with the RE name and some sprinkled-in RE elements.

As a standalone title I think it stands proud and gives us some interesting side-stories that doesn't have to exist fully in the RE universe, I would like to see RE8 again have a new story and an even wilder setting, but it doesn't need to be full-fat RE, that's something I actually liked about RE:7.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The first half of the game is SO much better than the second. The ship is really boring and too action-centric and the final boss is a joke.

Playing it in PSVR was an unforgettable experience, though.

OP
OP
Mantorok

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
An RE game needs to be fun to play too and RE7 is not

I don't understand this, RE has been endlessly chastised for having tank-controls with robotic, awkward gameplay. It wasn't until RE:4 came along and turned it into a fun action-fest that it suddenly became about gameplay.

Whilst I don't want this to turn into a generic RE debate, I do have to disagree that RE has always been about gameplay, it's always been about the horror, the grim settings and the weird puzzles and story.

RE:7 sticks to horror, it's what it's good at.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I have waited to play it until i got a PSVR and it was so worth it. Story had me scratching my head sometimes but that's to be expected, it's a Residend Evil game after all. But the atmosphere was just grandiose. Walking through the Bakers mansion and seeing everything in real life scale was one of the most amazing experiences i ever had.

The characters were all great and i felt sorry for what happened to them, well, for most of them. Had no problem with the gameplay, shooting and stuff felt satisfying. I also didn't think the second half was weaker quite to the contrary i thought the last stretch of the game was the highlight for me. That atmosphere when you walked through the Bakers mansion again and saw halucinations of you know who was sublime.

7 has become my favorite RE and my second favorite horror game overall. I'm so happy to have finally experienced it just wished i could have done so sooner.

OP
OP
Mantorok

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
The first half of the game is SO much better than the second. The ship is really boring and too action-centric and the final boss is a joke.

Playing it in PSVR was an unforgettable experience, though.

Whilst I can't comment on the PSVR experience (yet), I didn't find the ship that bad. I thought it was just as creepy but with more action.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
The FIRST HALF of RE7 is pretty great. Great level design, plenty of secrets, some light puzzles, perfect atmosphere, and encounter design was nice and varied (though limited). However, I've only played this in VR, so my opinion is higher than the game really deserves. VR elevates the game to another level, but the holes are still very apparent. Take away VR, and you're pretty much just left with a game with pretty basic and transparent AI routines, and 3 different enemy variations of the same type of molded creature (excluding the Bakers).

And then once you leave the Baker farm, it's a completely different game that really just isn't good. Uninteresting level design, rinse and repeat encounters, bland and copy/pasted environments, lack of puzzles, and zero reason to look for secrets and upgrade your character.

It was a good experiment for a different type of RE game, but it was definitely half-baked. Without VR, I don't know if I would have finished it.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yeah. And 60fps certainly helps a lot with the immersion.

@ People saying 60fps is only needed for action games.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Going through it atm and it's indeed a very good experience in VR, but I feel like the forced first run in normal actually undermines the game as a whole

Also I don't know how you can compare it to RE 2. Not like I understand what makes Remake 2 special anyway, even after doing it when it got released. Never played the original so I guess that's why it removed the "extra appreciation" bit of it ? found it incredibly generic

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's excellent.

Also, it cannot be stated how much Resident Evil needed RE7 - a more grounded, simple and atmospheric/scary experience - after RE6.

I don't understand this, RE has been endlessly chastised for having tank-controls with robotic, awkward gameplay. It wasn't until RE:4 came along and turned it into a fun action-fest that it suddenly became about gameplay.

Whilst I don't want this to turn into a generic RE debate, I do have to disagree that RE has always been about gameplay, it's always been about the horror, the grim settings and the weird puzzles and story.

RE:7 sticks to horror, it's what it's good at.

I'll disagree slightly here. Resident Evil is at its absolute best when it scares you the first time round, but rewards your play time and skills in multiple play through's. Speed running and toying around with a wide variety of hidden weapons and unlocks is as much a staple of the series as the horror is, and has been since 1996.

OP
OP
Mantorok

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I'll disagree slightly here. Resident Evil is at its absolute best when it scares you the first time round, but rewards your play time and skills in multiple play through's. Speed running and toying around with a wide variety of hidden weapons and unlocks is as much a staple of the series as the horror is, and has been since 1996.

But no-one ever played through RE:1 multiple times because of fun gameplay experience, it's always been an awkward affair. In fact the awkwardness added to the tension if anything. I just don't think RE = perfect controls.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. I grew up with Resident Evil and although I love them, they've never been scary.

It was only a few years ago when I played both the Forbidden Siren and Silent Hill series for the first time and they were a lot more tense and unexpected compared to everything that RE offered me.

The game was pretty much designed for VR, That's why there jump scares are more intense in VR, Rather than a creepier atmosphere of a silent hill, Saying that though even walking around in VR in RE7 gives you that oh shit slow walking feel you get playing SH, Special shoutout has to go too the audio aswell, They nailed it which combined with VR gives you probably still the best gaming experience i have had for many many years.

Not sure why people bring up REmake 2 when the thread is just about praising RE7 rescuing the series from the abominations that were 5/6.