• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IBetUHav

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat this game (absolutely loved it), never played the original. The game presents itself visually in a very realistic and grounded way (I know I know it's a game about zombies but you know what I mean) so I was super confused why Ada is wearing a cocktail dress. Is there an actual in-universe explanation or am I just meant to think she was at a fancy party and had to head to Raccoon City immediately and didn't have time to change? I've since learned it's an homage to her outfit in the original game but to someone playing this game for this first time the dress reveal really comes off as odd and breaks the immersion. I honestly thought when Leon found her he was gonna ask why the heck she's wearing that.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
It isn't terribly practical, but it's part of her mystique -- that she's basically this character from a Bond movie who somehow found her way into this otherwise fairly gritty game/universe.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You should see her RE4 outfit.

I think I like her RE6 outfit the best, that was her coolest design so far.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I just assumed she was undercover at a fancy party in Raccoon City when everything went to hell

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The original game had pretty nonsensical, stylized outfits for everyone. They tried to modernize them for Leon and Claire, but seemed to compromise with Ada by giving her the shades and trenchcoat, only to later give her the classic look once she removes them.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Just beat this game (absolutely loved it), never played the original. The game presents itself visually in a very realistic and grounded way (I know I know it's a game about zombies but you know what I mean) so I was super confused why Ada is wearing a cocktail dress. Is there an actual in-universe explanation or am I just meant to think she was at a fancy party and had to head to Raccoon City immediately and didn't have time to change? I've since learned it's an homage to her outfit in the original game but to someone playing this game for this first time the dress reveal really comes off as odd and breaks the immersion. I honestly thought when Leon found her he was gonna ask why the heck she's wearing that.
Capcom's idea of femme fatale I guess.

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't she visiting her boyfriend 'John'? I believe in the original game, she was infiltrating RPD under the guise of visiting her boyfriend. I think one of the passwords in the original RE2 references this.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Immersion in an RE game? Let's take it down a notch. she's dressed a s a homage to her previous red outfits and to her being a spy

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Isn't she visiting her boyfriend 'John'? I believe in the original game, she was infiltrating RPD under the guise of visiting her boyfriend. I think one of the passwords in the original RE2 references this.

Wow, only just realised John was never mentioned in RE2make at all.

The original game had pretty nonsensical, stylized outfits for everyone. They tried to modernize them for Leon and Claire, but seemed to compromise with Ada by giving her the shades and trenchcoat, only to later give her the classic look once she removes them.

The trenchcoat is actually interestingly a concept art for her 1.5 appearance.

AaiHVtj.png

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

I don't really know what you mean at all tbh, because nothing presented in RE2 remake seemed realistic or grounded to me outside, I guess, the graphics

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's Ada Wong; a teenage wet dream that makes no sense or really has any place in RE. Shit character too imo.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
thats just her style i guess. The original RE2, RE4, RE6 (both versions lol) and lets not forget the CG film either
shes basically the femme fatale character of the series. Personally i thought her look in RE2R was great and her character is cooler than ever. I wish her playable section was longer.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Is a woman not allowed to be caught out wearing a dress during a zombie outbreak? She's a spy. She's not a police officer or in the army.

Oct 27, 2017
Classic RE2 had a better outfit than REmake 2:
latest

No heels, no weird jacket+sun glasses in the dark combo. She looked like a survivor stuck in an outbreak and the lack of heel shoes is way more practical instead of a "not a spy".

The remake makes her look really shady and dumb because why would she wear a high heel shoe if she might need to run?

Edit: A better way to improve on the original would be to either give her more casual clothes or atleast a jacket in case it is cold at night.
Yeah that was her reason in the OG.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

No heels, no weird jacket+sun glasses in the dark combo. She looked like a survivor stuck in an outbreak and the lack of heel shoes is way more practical instead of a "not a spy".

The remake makes her look really shady and dumb because why would she wear a high heel shoe if she might need to run?

Agreed, that outfit was way better than the remake. I didn't really like Ada in the remake.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i mean resident evil very often values cool factor over practicality so i dunno if searching for "reasons" is even needed, even if the original game had it, they probably removed it for that very reason

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It is Resident Evil...far from high brow. It has always been puply b movie action horror. And that is its charm. She is a trope like many of the characters.
I know, but having re-played most RE's back to back in the last 2 months she struck me as a completely stupid character only put in there to appeal to horny teenagers. I don't even have a problem with that, but she really didn't seem to fit well in any of the games.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I know, but having re-played most RE's back to back in the last 2 months she struck me as a completely stupid character only put in there to appeal to horny teenagers. I don't even have a problem with that, but she really didn't seem to fit well in any of the games.

Fair enough. Perfectly reasonable to think she is a crap character. But her concept isn't realy ot of place. doesnt mean itis well implimenetd though.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm confused why you're so confused? Honestly, it's definitely her weakest outfit. Not anywhere near as stylish as her other appearances.

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, that outfit was way better than the remake. I didn't really like Ada in the remake.
Agreed.

I really didn't buy that she was a spy. The whole agent trying to investigate Umbrella aspect sounded way too shady. The original Ada who wanted to look for her "boyfriend" and lead Leon into Nest to use him as a means to get the virus was way better. Much less shady reason for a spy.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused why you're so confused? Honestly, it's definitely her weakest outfit. Not anywhere near as stylish as her other appearances.
She looked bland AF in that one movie.

Agreed.

I really didn't buy that she was a spy. The whole agent trying to investigate Umbrella aspect sounded way too shady. The original Ada who wanted to look for her "boyfriend" and lead Leon into Nest to use him as a means to get the virus was way better. Much less shady reason for a spy.
I mean, think about it from the perspective of an officer. Why would anyone in their right mind be searching for their boyfriend given the circumstances? Let alone going as far as places like a research lab. At least with Claire he was trying to help her get to safety. It helps that Ada had a fake ID in the remake.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Edit: A better way to improve on the original would be to either give her more casual clothes or atleast a jacket in case it is cold at night.

Yeah I agree this was a far better incognito look than whatever they were going for in the remake. I don't hate Ada's design in the remake but I feel like they were trying to make her line up more with her RE4 dress-sense which is even more nonsensical and outlandish than the RE2 remake design,

Oct 27, 2017
She looked bland AF in that one movie.

I mean, think about it from the perspective of an officer. Why would anyone in their right mind be searching for their boyfriend given the circumstances? Let alone going as far as places like a research lab. It helps that Ada had a fake ID in the remake.
Well in the original it was because Leon trusted Ada that this is the way out. It made sense considering the way out was directly trough Umbrella infested sewers that leads to the Nest. I also don't see how her looking for her boyfriend is any less crazy as Claire looking for Chris.
Yeah I agree this was a far better incognito look than whatever they were going for in the remake. I don't hate Ada's design in the remake but I feel like they were trying to make her line up more with her RE4 dress-sense which is even more nonsensical and outlandish than the RE2 remake design,
Agreed.

Her dress really did look like RE4 (kinda). I think the biggest issue I have with her look is the glasses. Why would anyone wear glasses in the dark? The shoes as well were very weird choice for a spy running around.

In any case, she looked really shady and Leon looked even dumber than the original trusting her.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's downright impractical. Shame really, because otherwise Resident Evil 2 is very realistic and grounded. But when I see that outfit, my immersion is shattered.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well in the original it was because Leon trusted Ada that this is the way out. It made sense considering the way out was directly trough Umbrella infested sewers that leads to the Nest. I also don't see how her looking for her boyfriend is any less crazy as Claire looking for Chris.

Agreed.

Her dress really did look like RE4 (kinda). I think the biggest issue I have with her look is the glasses. Why would anyone wear glasses in the dark? The shoes as well were very weird choice for a spy running around.

In any case, she looked really shady and Leon looked even dumber than the original trusting her.

Yep it was way too much imo. I feel like most designers fail to grasp the idea of what being incognito really is and just slap a bunch of tropes on someone thinking it makes them even more hidden. Ada looks super out-of-place in RE2 remake and anyone with a brain would've immediately thought she was shifty af the moment they saw her. Should have introduced herself as Guy Incognito just to pull off the complete look.

Jul 24, 2018
She continues Albert Wesker's proud tradition of wearing sunglasses indoors and in the dark too. I guess the argument is style over practicality?

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
latest

I just realized that her hair looks exactly like Leon's. At least in that pic.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
The password is actually not in OG RE2, but in REmake 1.

"John" existed and was a scientist in the Arklay Mansion laboratory. Ada / John is the password to open one of the rooms in that section of the game.
(in the OG RE1, the password is John / Mole)

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
The password is actually not in OG RE2, but in REmake 1.

"John" existed and was a scientist in the Arklay Mansion laboratory. Ada / John is the password to open one of the rooms in that section of the game.
(in the OG RE1, the password is John / Mole)

It's actually in the very original game too, predating RE2 entirely, not just the remake.