• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Another rich episode in terms of contents and potential hints towards future revelations:
  • According to Bea, Satella's behaviour is really similar to Emilia's. I am starting to think that Emilia could really be Satella. Otherwise, why should someone who isn't Satella present herself as the Witch?
  • Initially, I would have preferred that the Emilia of the previous episodes would have been as tsundere as the Emilia of the first episode. However, now I am really appreciating her character and the relationship she is building with Subaru, even though fragmented in different lives. The moment where Subaru cries while using Emilia's knees as pillow is quite touching, if we consider the end of last episode where Subaru bet his life jumping off the cliff. There is a great harmony between Emilia and Subaru in my opinion.
  • So the enemy of this arc is the puppy, I understood its identity only whn in the first half of this episode there was emphasis on the bite. I suppose that, however, all the enemy dogs are sort of controlled by a mage, who would be the real enemy (maybe of the whole story).
  • Roswall is stll mysterious, I continue not to understand if he a good guy or not. He has such an aura that he seems to know something but he doesn't want to tell it. Currently I still think that he could have bad intentions but I am progressively changing my mind.
  • All dialogues between Bea and Subaru are so fun.
  • And, finally, we discover that Rem is really a (crazy) demon, as hinted by previous episode.
I hope (and think) that Subaru didn't die at the end of the episode, otherwise great moments where he built his relationships with both Emilia and Rem will be lost.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Otherwise, why should someone who isn't Satella present herself as the Witch?
Gonna go ahead and clarify this since it confuses enough people to the point the author clarified it himself. Emilia called herself Satella to try and deter Subaru from getting involved with her. It's kinda like someone in Harry Potter having called themselves Voldemort.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Even if I am on mission, I could not skip this week's episode. And I saw it on the beautiful 43 inch TV monitor of the hotel where I am staying, so even better!
Finally we come to know Ram's and Rem's backstory. After Ram lost her horn, for a single moment Rem smiled and was happy for what happened to her sister - and she still regrets that single moment of her life. She cannot see herself but as a replace of Ram, even though she has many good qualities which Ram does not possess. Subaru is quite great in this episode, and obviously Rem is falling for him, even though only Emilia is clearly in his heart - but who knows, I am predicting the birth of a love triangle for the next episodes. At least, for now, I hope Subaru will really get his desidered date with Emilia, after dying so many times the day before it.
No information is provided about the real enemy of this arc, though. Roswall is still the most mysterious character of the series so far, he helped Subaru and he is protecting Emilia, but which is his real goal? "To kill the dragon", that seems his goal. His relationship with Ram will be surely investigated in next episodes, too.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Huh.

Apparently, the OVA 'Memory Snow' will be aired next week instead of the original episode 12 & 13 (with the OVA episode here being called 11.5). No idea what this means for Crunchyroll in terms of the broadcast.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Huh.

Apparently, the OVA 'Memory Snow' will be aired next week instead of the original episode 12 & 13 (with the OVA episode here being called 11.5). No idea what this means for Crunchyroll in terms of the broadcast.

Is this OVA chronologically set between episode 11 and 12 of the original series?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
A thing to note, none of the episodes have too many changes, but the first semi-important change that first seems very minor but is actually quite important happened in the last episode.

Around 31 minutes in they show a blonde maid character. In the original series this scene goes by super fast, she appears but it's easy to not register her at all as she's on screen for less than a second. They linger a bit more on her this time though. The reason this is important is her character does become a lot more important later, and this scene was extended a bit to probably establish her now in the flashback before later in Season 2.

It's still overall a minor change, but is the first change with any real plot presence significance (though the new version of the ending theme a couple weeks ago is neat, and last week's episode did have a new still drawing to emphasize something but not really important).

I'm hoping Crunchyroll does get the okay to translate the OVA, but that's interesting and unexpected. The OVA is fun, it doesn't add anything to the story really except you get a better idea of what the characters are up to in the mansion arc when not much is really going on after things are resolved.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Been really enjoying my rewatch of this series. Doing my best to be patient and not rewatch episodes of the original version of the series. It's difficult!

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Been really enjoying my rewatch of this series. Doing my best to be patient and not rewatch episodes of the original version of the series. It's difficult!
Imagine that I didn't see the original version of the series, so I have to wait seven days before finding out what is happening next. But I really enjoying how I am consuming this anime, with a long episode of 50 minutes per week.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Imagine that I didn't see the original version of the series, so I have to wait seven days before finding out what is happening next. But I really enjoying how I am consuming this anime, with a long episode of 50 minutes per week.
Imagine how we had to wait the same amount of time for just 25 minutes! ;)

I'm also greatly enjoying this rewatch. I was thinking of watching it before the second season either way, so the director's cut coming out was perfect.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
It was expected, but it looks like Crunchyroll won't be streaming Memory Snow.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Memory Snow was added along with this week's episode, so it now has an official release.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Looks like Memory Snow was added along with this week's episode, so it now has an official release.
So they didnt add the one scene that was kinda important in this episode.
Al is also an isekai'd dude, and this scene was supposed to play out when Priscilla picks Subaru up. It's kinda hinted when Al answers Subaru's statement about the Kansai dialect tho

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
So they didnt add the one scene that was kinda important in this episode.
Al is also an isekai'd dude, and this scene was supposed to play out when Priscilla picks Subaru up. It's kinda hinted when Al answers Subaru's statement about the Kansai dialect tho
Yeah. I was hoping that would get added, but I kinda figured it wouldn't.

Last edited:

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I really did not like this show (hated it perhaps?) because the MC is such an incredibly unlikable character. I'm sure he's just as bad in this version, but what exactly was the inspiration for them to do this re-release? Did they improve the animation or anything as well? Or it's simply a re-edit?

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I really did not like this show (hated it perhaps?) because the MC is such an incredibly unlikable character. I'm sure he's just as bad in this version, but what exactly was the inspiration for them to do this re-release? Did they improve the animation or anything as well? Or it's simply a re-edit?
It's mostly just a lead-up to season 2.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
New challenge: watch episode 7 (12-13) without cringing.

For many people, episode 15, 18, 25 are the best episodes of this series, for me, it was this, this episode takes home so many things.

I know that the curse is messing with him but...

First of all, in any, and I mean ANY isekai, the hero would have everything on his favor, not Subaru, he's in a world where everyone acts like a person, with real consequences, where you don't just go off and think a person is one-dimensional. He thinks he's the fucking hero when he's not, he's just a boy that has to climb on the ranks to aspire to become one, like a real person climbing on their careers. He thinks Emilia is his waifu where she will attend to anything he says, she will not say no when he breaks a rule or promise.

What happens? This episode, it's the culmination of every single toxic Subaru trait that he thinks might work on this world because he never had a real social interaction, in reality, he's a shut-in. The only life he knew was his videogames, he has the Don Quixote syndrome where he idealizes his Dulcinea (in this case, Emilia) and just thinks that she's the most perfect lifeform that could ever exist, when she has her own problems, she's socially awkward, she has dealt with racism because she's a half-elf, she has to deal with the fact she looks like the Witch, and the whole selection and REAL responsibilities.

For me, because of the acting, because of how it deals with a lot of themes, the background music, AND THE ACTING AGAIN.

I give this a 10/10 episode. The best episode of Re:Zero by far.

The line of the show:
86800418_772146806528372_2016813760554991616_o.jpg

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

For many people, episode 15, 18, 25 are the best episodes of this series, for me, it was this, this episode takes home so many things.

First of all, in any, and I mean ANY isekai, the hero would have everything on his favor, not Subaru, he's in a world where everyone acts like a person, with real consequences, where you don't just go off and think a person is one-dimensional. He thinks he's the fucking hero when he's not, he's just a boy that has to climb on the ranks to aspire to become one, like a real person climbing on their careers. He thinks Emilia is his waifu where she will attend to anything he says, she will not say no when he breaks a rule or promise.

What happens? This episode, it's the culmination of every single toxic Subaru trait that he thinks might work on this world because he never had a real social interaction, in reality, he's a shut-in. The only life he knew was his videogames, he has the Don Quixote syndrome where he idealizes his Dulcinea (in this case, Emilia) and just thinks that she's the most perfect lifeform that could ever exist, when she has her own problems, she's socially awkward, she has dealt with racism because she's a half-elf, she has to deal with the fact she looks like the Witch, and the whole selection and REAL responsibilities.

For me, because of the acting, because of how it deals with a lot of themes, the background music, AND THE ACTING AGAIN.

The line of the show:
86800418_772146806528372_2016813760554991616_o.jpg

I can't watch the episode anymore because its that good that it hurts seeing Subaru being a shit face like this. Perfect episode for incels. Also this is why Re Zero is so different in comparison to other Isekais

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I watched the EX episode (the OVA) and Episode 7, between yesterday and today's commutes.

First of all, the OVA is really full of fan service. I didn't particularly like Rem's behavior, since now she basically and stupidly thinks that eveything Subaru says is genial. I hope that she will not behave in the same way in the rest of the series, and that is just because of fan service. For the rest, it was a nice extra episode, which shows some slice-of-life moments after some dark moments in the previous episodes.

Then, Episode 7 comes and... and I cannot avoid to think about it ends, with that amazing ED in the background. I overall liked all the episode, including the premises for the selection arc. The characters of the thirst episode finally returns, and I am happy since I found them quite good. It is not clear yet the selection will be performed, but if there are multiple events/battles, I suppose that one of them will be a tournament between knights, and that Subaru will be Emilia's knight. However, I feel that at the end not Emilia, but Felt will be the new queen. In the episode a lot of focus was put on her character and her speech, so this is the eprfect way to make her even more central in the story. Besides, she is clearly the stand-out among the five - and a stand-out often wins under these circumstances.
The end of this episode is, then, really top-notch. Animations, dialogues, voice overs, music, everything is perfect. Subaru's personality was evident from the past episodes, but now it completely come out. I hated him when telling Emilia that she could have never repayed him. But Emilia is totally right, he is living in his ideals thinking to be the best person and that Emilia is so fond of him that she will forgave everything. After all, in the past episodes, Emilia really seemed like a woman to be protected, in particular in last arc. But she has her own responsibilities and problems to manage, she is not a simple doll to be loved, but Subaru cannot understand it.
There is so much potential in their relationship, I am looking forward to seeing how it will be developed throughout the series.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I can't watch the episode anymore because its that good that it hurts seeing Subaru being a shit face like this. Perfect episode for incels. Also this is why Re Zero is so different in comparison to other Isekais

I had to watch the episode in 3 segments spaced each other, with those last 15-17 minutes with a deep breath before pressing play.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
It seems they reanimated the fight with Subaru and Julius as far as new content goes.

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

The line of the show:

Of course without spoiling details, does the series (both Subaru as well as the other characters around) address how much of an egotistic asshole he was this last episode? Does the author actually understand that Subaru was acting like a horrible human being and actively tries to redeem this moment of his, or is it just gonna turn like every single shitty incel power fantasy from now on?

I've been really liking the show so far, as well as this particular (double) episode, but his character is gonna need one hell of a redemption arc if I am to like him again.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Of course without spoiling details, does the series (both Subaru as well as the other characters around) address how much of an egotistic asshole he was this last episode? Does the author actually understand that Subaru was acting like a horrible human being and actively tries to redeem this moment of his, or is it just gonna turn like every single shitty incel power fantasy from now on?

I've been really liking the show so far, as well as this particular (double) episode, but his character is gonna need one hell of a redemption arc if I am to like him again.

Yes, they address it pretty soon enough, and we will see changes on his act after those moments.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
You're supposed to think Subaru is a piece of shit at that point. It's part of the story. The best thing about this series is how many changes of heart it's going to make you have on this guy. One minute he's reliable and worthy of respect, another minute he just destroyed any respect you had for him. The important thing to remember is that Subaru has died a lot and it has fucked with his mind. Not to mention this darkness that is swirling around him.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best episode aired today so I have the following for you (spoilers for anyone not having it watched) Guess it's also NSFW

3gB6RPC.jpg

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
GtQVobMl.jpg
And with the end of today's episode, we finished up episode 15 of the original series which tends to compete with episode 18 in terms of which episode people generally tend to find the best of the series. It's easy to see why too. The episode has fantastic animation, a beautiful score, amazing writing, great scenery & visuals, and the voice actors including the VA for new villain, Betelgeuse, are on point. Getting combined with episode 14 also works extremely well in this case.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
GtQVobMl.jpg
And with the end of today's episode, we finished up episode 15 of the original series which tends to compete with episode 18 in terms of which episode people generally tend to find the best of the series. It's easy to see why too. The episode has fantastic animation, a beautiful score, amazing writing, great scenery & visuals, and the voice actors including the VA for new villain, Betelgeuse, are on point. Getting combined with episode 14 also works extremely well in this case.
Fun fact, the VA for Betelgeuse also voiced Kirito in Sword Art Online (japanese version)
Bell in is it alright to pick up girls in a dungeon
Sora in No game No Life
Souma in Food Wars
my point being that he most likely sounds so great because instead of playing the confident protag he got to play a villian (a number of his roles after Re:zero are odder roles instead of the protag, so I have a feeling he loved not being the protag lol)

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, the VA for Betelgeuse also voiced Kirito in Sword Art Online (japanese version)
Bell in is it alright to pick up girls in a dungeon
Sora in No game No Life
Souma in Food Wars
my point being that he most likely sounds so great because instead of playing the confident protag he got to play a villian (a number of his roles after Re:zero are odder roles instead of the protag, so I have a feeling he loved not being the protag lol)
He's actually a pretty talented VA and he does a great job with eccentric characters and the more traditional protagonist, so it all works out.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The MC is definitely an anti-hero, on some levels akin to Thomas Covenant.
What is very compelling on a base level is how subversive the story is to the Isekai tropes (the mc is very useless, and all his expectations keep being shattered), but beyond that, the characters are endearing and grow together, obviously the mc having the most development.
From a base neet with seemingly inocuous every day issues, to apparently trying to better himself on a surface level to woo his deified waifu of choice, to then reveal his true shitty self, to then endergo a real transformative journey, all the time through sheer horror and pain with an "ability" which is literally about learning lessons through dying repeatedly.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, guess I can keep taking my time rewatching the director's cut. Is it worth it so far? How much of substance does it add?
Not really anything of substance added. The biggest change was probably the fight with Julius going through some reanimation. If my hunch is correct, I'm guessing we'll likely get a scene or two either this episode and/or the next, but I wouldn't count on it.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not really anything of substance added. The biggest change was probably the fight with Julius going through some reanimation. If my hunch is correct, I'm guessing we'll likely get a scene or two either this episode and/or the next, but I wouldn't count on it.

So all it really did, was place Memory Snow in the proper place and run with it?

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Anime staff has been saying to watch the last episode, so probs new stuff there

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I haven't posted here for a while, even though I am still watching the series weekly, because I didn't feel like it, considering the current situation we are.
But the first half of this week's episode has been so good that I must write something about.
Subaru is really an atypical main character. He isn't perfect at all, he has a terrible personality which he probably developed as being a shut-in at home, ht things that everything is granted. But, considering this low level starting point for his personality, the anime is really showing a good development. He is understanding that there are people who love him, because at the end he isn't the bad person he thinks to be, but he understands there are positive aspects too.
The dialogue between Rem and Subaru is top-notch, from this point of view. The synergy between the two of them is so high that the declaration of love of Subaru for Emilia almost breaks all the tension. As Rem has been able to move on from her suffering past, similarly Subaru is understanding he can start from zero not only reborning every time he dies, but also about his character.
How he came to understand this, through multiple deaths against Betelgeuse , has been wonderfully animated too (the ending of the episode of two weeks ago was really something). Every time Betelgeuse is present in the scene, I already know I won't be disappointed. I imagine he will be the final villain for this season (or maybe not?).

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I have just finished to watch the last episode - what a great anime! I really enjoyed it, from the battles to the emotional scenes. I would have never thought that Subaru could have such a characterization, just looking at his character design which seems a bit "too normal".
This final episode shows another key part of the plot, through the word of Betelgeuse: the witches is trying to r eturn by using Emilia. I suppose that this will be a starting point for future narrative lines, where other Sin Archbishop will appear as enemies.
About the final cliffhanger,
when Emilia doesn't remember Rem anymore
I imagine it wasn't present in the original anime version. I am asking myself how this problem will be solved in Season 2, without recurring to the Return by Death power of Subaru like last time.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I have just finished to watch the last episode - what a great anime! I really enjoyed it, from the battles to the emotional scenes. I would have never thought that Subaru could have such a characterization, just looking at his character design which seems a bit "too normal".
This final episode shows another key part of the plot, through the word of Betelgeuse: the witches is trying to r eturn by using Emilia. I suppose that this will be a starting point for future narrative lines, where other Sin Archbishop will appear as enemies.
About the final cliffhanger,
when Emilia doesn't remember Rem anymore
I imagine it wasn't present in the original anime version. I am asking myself how this problem will be solved in Season 2, without recurring to the Return by Death power of Subaru like last time.
I think it was in the original anime.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I love after all this time spent rewatching for new content, the only real new scene doesn't happen until that post-credits scene. Just really enhances the twisting of the knife.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I love after all this time spent rewatching for new content, the only real new scene doesn't happen until that post-credits scene. Just really enhances the twisting of the knife.
There's a few scenes they weirdly redid and some scenes they should've added they didn't. The biggest one for me is they actually reanimated a lot of the fight with Julius, yet didn't add one of the biggest scenes they cut from the manga that happens around the same point of time. Guess they're putting that scene into Season 2 somewhere or something.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
The OVA, The Frozen Bond, is now available on Crunchyroll:

www.crunchyroll.com

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-

Watch Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- The Frozen Bond The Frozen Bond on Crunchyroll.

I really enjoyed it, and it was nice to get some Re:Zero content focusing on Emilia instead of Subaru for a change.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry for bumping this thread but I didn't want to make a new thread to just ask this question and this is the official OT for the director's cut that I wish to watch.

I never watched this anime and the second Season now exists. So I was wondering should I watch the first season via the original cut that is about 25 episodes? Or should I watch the Director's cut that is 13 episodes.

From what I understand the director's cut adds things and fixes other things yet it is only 13 episodes so Idk were to go from there after I reach said 13th episode and I want to continue on watching up to the 25th episode.

Said original cut and director cut seems to diverge at one point in terms of content alignment and so I am guessing episode 13 in the director's cut isn't the same episode 13 in the original and if I just start off with episode 14 in the original from 13 in the director's cut I wonder if I would be lost?

I would've just watched the original from the get go but I read here and elsewhere that the director's cut is needed for key developments in season 2.

I haven't watch anything for this anime yet so I just want to know what is the best way to go about this in order to catch up to the latest season 2 episode.

Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry for bumping this thread but I didn't want to make a new thread to just ask this question and this is the official OT for the director's cut that I wish to watch.

I never watched this anime and the second Season now exists. So I was wondering should I watch the first season via the original cut that is about 25 episodes? Or should I watch the Director's cut that is 13 episodes.

From what I understand the director's cut adds things and fixes other things yet it is only 13 episodes so Idk were to go from there after I reach said 13th episode and I want to continue on watching up to the 25th episode.

Said original cut and director cut seems to diverge at one point in terms of content alignment and so I am guessing episode 13 in the director's cut isn't the same episode 13 in the original and if I just start off with episode 14 in the original from 13 in the director's cut I wonder if I would be lost?

I would've just watched the original from the get go but I read here and elsewhere that the director's cut is needed for key developments in season 2.

I haven't watch anything for this anime yet so I just want to know what is the best way to go about this in order to catch up to the latest season 2 episode.
Dont know why anyone would watch the Non Directors Cut at this point (Directors cut is basically the Blu-Ray version of s1 with the improved drawings, and some added seconds to make a few scenes last a bit longer with pans. There weren't major differences, only the final episode has like a minute or so of added content).

Its only 13 episodes because the episodes are double length. (50 minutes, vs ~22-25)