• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Please spoiler tag anything that happens in future episodes, and do not post spoilers from the novels and/or manga.

95445cd55c37ce2ff04ef1adde79f50c1529088362_full.jpg

About the Show

Natsuki Subaru, an ordinary high school student, is on his way home from the convenience store when he finds himself transported to another world. As he's lost and confused in a new world where he doesn't even know left from right, the only person to reach out to him was a beautiful girl with silver hair. Determined to repay her somehow for saving him from his own despair, Subaru agrees to help the girl find something she's looking for...

FAQ

What is the Director's Cut?

The Director's Cut of Re:Zero is a new broadcast of Re:Zero edited into 13 1-hour episodes. The Director's cut will also include cut content that may be small or larger. The broadcast will finish up before the broadcast of the upcoming season 2.

When and where does this air?

The show is simulcasted on Crunchyroll on Wednesdays @ 9:30am CST as found here.

Is there a trailer?

There is. (The trailer is for the director's cut and includes scenes from all episodes of the original anime.)

Is there a dub?

The Director's Cut broadcast will not have a dub, but a dub can be found on Crunchyroll for a dub of the original broadcast.

I have not watched Re:Zero before.

The Director's Cut broadcast is an excellent opportunity to catch up before season 2.​

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Not yet sure if I'll rewatch or just watch the new scenes. There aren't many shows I'm interested in for the Winter season though so I'll have the time.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the first episode. I don't remember the episodes too well, but I felt like they just added a few other padded scenes that really don't add anything.

Again, I'd have to compare it with the original.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
anything new in episode 1?
Nothing yet. Of course, the original anime opened up with an hour-long episode.
Just watched the first episode. I don't remember the episodes too well, but I felt like they just added a few other padded scenes that really don't add anything.

Again, I'd have to compare it with the original.
The last arc was the one that cut out the most compared to the first two arcs, so I wouldn't really expect too much until that point.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I do not like this show bc it is pretty depressing, BUT more importantly Rem deserves so much more.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I watched the original season a couple weeks ago and hated Subaru for the middle portion of it.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
never watched so i guess it's a good time to try it... i don't except anything though, too many times i've been disappointed by animes that have been hyped up too much

hopefully i'll like it

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
never watched so i guess it's a good time to try it... i don't except anything though, too many times i've been disappointed by animes that have been hyped up too much

hopefully i'll like it
For Re:Zero, I'd say episode 7 (in the original anime) is where if you don't like it to drop it.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I'm gonna binge the S1 and compare it week to week with the Director's Cut.

EP 1: Nothing extra happens, it's episode 1. All over again.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I seem to remember people saying at the time Re:Zero came out that it was pretty faithful to the novels and virtually nothing got cut or skipped until the end, so I'm skeptical that they'll be adding enough to make it worth a rewatch. As much as I liked the anime overall (which was a lot) that middle arc is intolerable, I simply couldn't watch it again without a strong reason for doing so.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there is anyone who liked him during the middle...
it's kind of the point.

For me it wasn't even just that, because during his character "redemption" later, it still felt like he was showing signs of sociopath behavior. I didn't like how the narrative basically skipped over this whole bit (especially how during the Rem confession it never seemed like he acknowledged anything he did wrong) and I hope S2 makes a clearer statement of how his mindset is completely wrong.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason there was a scene or two that I didn't remember. This is also uncensored so there's that. I'm giving the series a rewatch from this week on... hype for Season 2. Supposedly DC will have new scenes that help you understand S2 a bit better.

I wonder if this means Season 2 will be uncensored too? Sword Art Online gets away with the same amount of gore or more.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Firstly, I hope there's only a week break between the Director's Cut final episode and the first episode of Season 2. If after the 13th and final Director's Cut episode they hop straight into Season 2 a week later, Season 2 would start on April 1st, which is Subaru's birthday. And then if Season 2 is 25 episodes like Season 1 was, the last episode would air on September 23rd, which is Emilia's birthday.

So if they literally start start Season 2 a week after the final episode of the Director's Cut, and if Season 2 is 25 episodes long like Season 1 was, they'd have some very neat timing going on there.

Now, I watched the first episode.

For anyone who's seen the original series, I rewatched the whole thing less than a year ago with someone when Season 2 was announced. There's not a whole lot new in Episode 1, but there is a couple scenes that seemed to be reanimated to be a bit prettier and I noticed they added a few more pauses to certain scenes like when Subaru asks for the "Silver-haired girls" name, she ponders on it a bit longer. This said, unless you want to do a series rewatch before Season 2, I don't think Episode 1 at least is worth rewatching.

Unless you want to see it uncensored, one thing I did notice is this episode was uncensored like the Blu-Ray, while the simulcast in the past was censored. So I guess if you haven't seen the uncensored scenes from Re:Zero (in Episode 1, namely the gore), now's your chance.

Now for IF you should watch any this before Season 2, the answer is at least the big new scenes since I know I have heard from several friends who read the manga that a Season 2 for Re:Zero was going to be hard because Season 1 cut crucial plot details and whole characters that were going to appear later in the series and play a huge role, and a whole story element that was crucial for some later stuff. I'm figuring this Director's Cut is happening because of how crucial some of the cut details of Season 1 were for the upcoming Season(s).

Episode 1 there's not a whole lot new, but there's going to be some crucial scenes added in later episodes that play into Season 2, as far as I've heard from people wondering how they'd even do a Season 2 with some stuff they cut.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. None of the death/gore scenes in the first episode are censored at least, which they were in the TV cast/previous Crunchyroll versions of course. Episode 1 doesn't have a whole lot new in the Director's Cut version, just some very minor things, but I guess for anyone wanting to do a rewatch if they haven't seen the blu-rays it does seem one pro even for episodes without much new content for the Director's Cut is the episodes themselves are uncensored.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I watched the first episode and I really liked it, it got me into the series and I will watch all the next episodes too. Even though the beginning is quite simplistic (the main male character gets into a fantasy world all of a sudden), this clichè is made fun of by the anime itself, when Subaru says he is waiting for the beautiful girl who typically evokes the man in romance, and I liked that. Most of the mysteries are only hinted, such as the real identity of Sabella, as well as the mysterious power of Subaru, who comes back to life twice. At first I thought this was Sabella's power and it was activated when Subaru touched her hand, but in the second case he was alone in the mansion when he died.
Let's hope the next episodes will be good too. As a start, it is, in my opinion.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first episode and I really liked it, it got me into the series and I will watch all the next episodes too. Even though the beginning is quite simplistic (the main male character gets into a fantasy world all of a sudden), this clichè is made fun of by the anime itself, when Subaru says he is waiting for the beautiful girl who typically evokes the man in romance, and I liked that. Most of the mysteries are only hinted, such as the real identity of Sabella, as well as the mysterious power of Subaru, who comes back to life twice. At first I thought this was Sabella's power and it was activated when Subaru touched her hand, but in the second case he was alone in the mansion when he died.
Let's hope the next episodes will be good too. As a start, it is, in my opinion.
Honestly I'm curious how you're going to enjoy the Season consuming it like this the first time. To my knowledge this is going to be 13 episodes, with basically two episodes covered in one episode plus some new scenes sprinkled into various episodes. That'll be an interesting way to consume it I imagine it, especially as Season 2 will kinda' just hop into it.

I think Episode 1 does do a confident enough start to get you invested, it mainly sets up the scenario and a few key players in the series, but rewatching it I did remember the series has some pretty engaging dialogue between the characters and the overall pacing of the story. I think the series does have a quality where it makes you interested in seeing where it's going and what happens next as more information is slowly revealed, and the first episode does a good job at establishing that appeal I feel.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
For me it wasn't even just that, because during his character "redemption" later, it still felt like he was showing signs of sociopath behavior. I didn't like how the narrative basically skipped over this whole bit (especially how during the Rem confession it never seemed like he acknowledged anything he did wrong) and I hope S2 makes a clearer statement of how his mindset is completely wrong.

Same for me. I don't really feel like he is redeemed at all. I can't trust this character and won't be surprised if he becomes a sociopath all over again. I'm afraid to watch S2, bc I don't want to have to deal with this shit protag if he's learned nothing.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Is the new content significant? I ask because my fiancée hasn't seen the show and she wants to get into it. She prefers dubs though so unless the new content is significant she might as well go into the old one.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Is the new content significant? I ask because my fiancée hasn't seen the show and she wants to get into it. She prefers dubs though so unless the new content is significant she might as well go into the old one.
In Episode 1 at least, no. Though it is uncensored if she's into gore/death stuff.

Later down the line though as I understand it, yes. Only Episode 1/13 is out right now, but to my knowledge part of why they're even doing a Director's Cut is because the original season skipped over some crucial stuff from the novels which is important for Season 2, and as they're about to release Season 2 after this is done airing they decided to go with this Director's Cut to add back scenes from the novels, such as characters and plot points the original anime series glossed over.

I have not read the original novels or manga, only an anime watcher. What I hear is like 95% of the anime is actually a really good, pretty faithful adaption. Some scenes skipped and cut, but mostly the same. However, there's a few things that were skimmed over and cut, including a few character development moments, in the third arc of the story an entire "loop" was cut which shines some more information on one of the main characters, and I know there's a scene with Rem and Subaru that was cut which reveals a lot more about their relationship.

I do recall a lot of people mentioning in the final few episodes of the anime they skipped some pretty big stuff though, so I suspect some of the biggest changes in this Director's Cut will be in the last few episodes. I'm curious if the various character moments and other things will be added as well though.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I still believe the best thing about Re:Zero was the amount of salt it caused over
who Subaru decides to pursue romantically
lol
Thats only because a certain aspect was cut from the anime compared to the manga, ln and web-story version.

After being saved by Subaru, Rem develops feelings for him. She tends to be aggressive in her approaches, often asking him to praise her, and will do anything for him, such as turning a blind eye to certain actions. Later they semi-seriously agree that if Subaru can persuade Emilia, then he will make Rem the second wife, and Subaru even practically confesses to her in the web-story

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Nice way to revisit the series, even tho I just watched it a few months ago.
Thats only because a certain aspect was cut from the anime compared to the manga, ln and web-story version.

After being saved by Subaru, Rem develops feelings for him. She tends to be aggressive in her approaches, often asking him to praise her, and will do anything for him, such as turning a blind eye to certain actions. Later they semi-seriously agree that if Subaru can persuade Emilia, then he will make Rem the second wife, and Subaru even practically confesses to her in the web-story
Never really been a fan of the harem ending nonsense because it pushes that male power fantasy angle that I assumed up to this point, RE:Zero had avoided for the most part.

Last edited:

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I still grab my chest and cringe hard when

I watch episodes 12-17... Subaru is at his worst there and becomes the biggest psycho I have ever seen. Some of his breakdowns and deliriums are almost unwatchable for me. Still, White Fox does that part so masterfully that I still watch it after all these years.

And after rewatching and shitting on the anime when it released, a couple years later I appreciate it, I find eps 13-14 and 16-18 to be the strongest episodes of the series. It's not just a "wake up call" to Subaru, it's a wake up call to any anime fan that believes they can fantasize that jumping into another world will bring them to inmediate success, it's a wake up call to the otaku culture and the typical "I will force myself on you" kind of guy.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Hope you continue to enjoy the show!

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 is out. I'm glad they're doing each episode in hour long chunks. That means it'll line right up with the release of the first episode of season 2. Still haven't seen anything new yet, though. I noticed some new stuff in episode 1, I think... but I haven't watched this series since the time it aired so maybe I'm wrong.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I feel like a fucking goober for rewatching this last month now.

Still, great show

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Watched episode 2, so technically there's more changes in Episode 2 than Episode 1, but they're so minor that it still doesn't really matter.

I looked back and forth to confirm something, there's a few newly added "still shots", like new drawings for certain scenes to imply something, the one I first noticed was a shot of Reinhard's eyes which was added I guess to suggest he knows more than he acts he does as a kind of foreshadowing. However, once again the changes are very, very minor and mainly are just slightly padded or or altered scenes I guess for impact.

It really does seem we probably won't get much new to the show until the third arc of the show. Which I guess make sense, I recall fans of the show saying story arcs 1 & 2 were very faithful to the novels, but Arc 3 ended up cutting various things, some of it kinda' important for later stuff.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I watched the second episode, this first fight has been a great was to begin the series. The new character, Reinhard, seems quinte interesting. In particular, what surprised me the most is the fact that he decided to bring Felt with him, after seeing her hand out the stolen object. Why did he decide to take her, not Emilia, if that reaction was motivated by the emblem? What did he see in that moment? Elsa is also a good character, but I imagine she is not the main antagonist but she is simply working on behalf of others.
Subaru's power is not totally clear, too. Does he return, every time he dies, always to the moment where he is talking to the apple seller? It would be difficult to manage that from a narrative point of view, because that means he should repeat all the events every time. Will there maybe "save points"? Anyway, this power has Steins;Gate vibes so I am totally in.

Finally, I have a doubt. At the beginning og the episode, after the third death (because of the bandits), Subaru understands that he is returning to the past and he can redo everything. Later, while talking to the apple seller, he thanks him for providing information even though he does not have any money; the seller's reply is that, after all, he helped her daughter. But didn't Subaru help the seller's daughter before Subaru's first death? How can the seller remember it? Or is it just implied that he decided to help her again in this fourth iteration? Maybe I just didn't watch the first minutes carefully.

tmtyf

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the second episode, this first fight has been a great was to begin the series. The new character, Reinhard, seems quinte interesting. In particular, what surprised me the most is the fact that he decided to bring Felt with him, after seeing her hand out the stolen object. Why did he decide to take her, not Emilia, if that reaction was motivated by the emblem? What did he see in that moment? Elsa is also a good character, but I imagine she is not the main antagonist but she is simply working on behalf of others.
Subaru's power is not totally clear, too. Does he return, every time he dies, always to the moment where he is talking to the apple seller? It would be difficult to manage that from a narrative point of view, because that means he should repeat all the events every time. Will there maybe "save points"? Anyway, this power has Steins;Gate vibes so I am totally in.

Finally, I have a doubt. At the beginning og the episode, after the third death (because of the bandits), Subaru understands that he is returning to the past and he can redo everything. Later, while talking to the apple seller, he thanks him for providing information even though he does not have any money; the seller's reply is that, after all, he helped her daughter. But didn't Subaru help the seller's daughter before Subaru's first death? How can the seller remember it? Or is it just implied that he decided to help her again in this fourth iteration? Maybe I just didn't watch the first minutes carefully.

Seller said a broke boy helped his daughter earlier so that is why he helped him, to which Subaru says something like fate will force it's hand or something. It wasn't Subaru that helped the kid but someone else.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017

Seller said a broke boy helped his daughter earlier so that is why he helped him, to which Subaru says something like fate will force it's hand or something. It wasn't Subaru that helped the kid but someone else.
Subaru notices the flower the daughter gives on Emilia later on showing that Emilia always helps her even if she doesn't meet up with Subaru.

I figure it's also worth pointing out at the end, if you pay close attention, you can see the knife Elsa throws at Reinhard divert away from him which actually comes from a special ability in the world called blessings.

Episode 3 of the Re:ZERO shorts goes into more detail (The first 3 episodes can be watched now without spoilers for where the broadcast is at): https://www.crunchyroll.com/rezero-starting-life-in-another-world-shorts

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
And with today's episode, we now enter the events of the mansion arc (also known as "The Tumultuous Week").

I remember I thought it would only last a few episodes when I first watched Re:Zero and kept being surprised how long it ended up being with it taking up the rest of the first half of the show.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I have just finished the third episode, wow! This episode made me wonder how Subaru's power actually works multiple times. After he wakes up before the date day, it seems impossible that he died, so I was lost. But, at the end of the episode, it is clear that in the mansion there is a powerful enemy, who that night probably killed Subaru while he was sleeping. The pacing provided by combining two episodes in a single weekly one is really good - you get more answers than usual in a single day, but at the same time you have to wait for the next week.
Now Rem appears too. I saw her in a Youtube OST vide, with a fan art picture where
Subaru holds Rem, dead it seemed, in his arms. I suppose I got spoiled, but well I am anyway experiencing this story 99,99% blindly except for that
I suppose she will get a huge character development, since at the moment she seems too submissive to her sister. About this, instead, Ram seems to be plotting something with Roswall, who didn't give me good vibes since he seems more an enemy than Emilia's helper.
Currently, I am really enjoying this anime so far!

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
And here we go, I will admit, that Subaru out was metal af. (Don't try to be Subaru at home, the work is fiction, suicide irl is not the solution, seek help if you feel the urge.)

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
In the first half of today's episode, I always found it interesting how Subaru had a harder time interacting with the twins due to not being able to gain any respect with his decision to freeload compared to actively working at the mansion.

The second half of today's episode is one of my favorite episodes of the original series. I feel it tends to get overlooked in favor of a couple of the later episodes.

Subaru and Ram's voice actors do an excellent job at displaying their characters' despair (mostly during the former's torture by Rem and the latter's reaction to her death).

Beatrice gets great highlights as well with how she protects Subaru throughout the episode to a degree that even Subaru himself points out that she didn't really need to.

The music throughout the episode is on point. I love the slowed down piano version of the ending when Subaru runs away. 'Straight Bet' is an excellent song choice once Subaru decides to intentionally reset back to the original save point as he's not 100% sure he'll come back and is essentially gambling that he will in order to solve everything.

Overall, I'd say the second half is my 3rd favorite episode of the original series.

And here we go, I will admit, that Subaru out was metal af. (Don't try to be Subaru at home, the work is fiction, suicide irl is not the solution, seek help if you feel the urge.)
Definitely not a view promoted by the show either since it's preceded by Subaru explicitly talking about how he's only fine with dying at the end of a long life.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Changes from episode 4 with their counterparts (og ep 6/7) thanks to reddit.

- The first one, the scene at [06:25] was slower than the original

- The scene from [14:21 to 14:31] have some held frames at Subaru's face, Ram's face and Subaru's face again.

- Held shot at [16:02] and at [16:32], the scene where Subaru was saying the story about the ogres all contained held shots between stops in the story.

- The scene at [23:53] is slower that the original also there wasn't any credits rolling like in the OG because the episodes are doubled

- At [24:13] the scene was extended

- Woah! This is a weird one, the scene [25:43] was Faster that the original. Subaru didn't take a lot of time taking photos of Rem this time.

- At [25:50] we see the screen fade to black and then just complete black and the next scene starts. In the OG there's no fade, it's just a sharp transition to a black screen with the Re:Zero Logo on it.

- Held shot at Emilia at [30:29]

- Another Held shot at [31:39] and at [31:55] and at [32:03] I assume there will be a lot of these.

- Held shot at [32:15], [32:53], [33:39], [33:50], [34:11], [34:19], [34:26] and at [38:03]

- Slower scene at [39:13], [42:01], [43:28], [43:44], [43:53], and at [44:00]

- There isn't any credit rolling at the end scene

- The title at the end was longer

- An ending song played this time, with the credits that wasn't shown in the final segment.

That's it for this ep, I am glad that they didn't include the fanservice scene that was cut from the LN, it was completely unnecessary and unfitting. The next episode won't include anything new either. episodes [6 - 13] will be the ones that have big changes.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
What an episode. Rem seemed totally crazy when killing Subaru, but it was clear that she did because she wanted to protect Emilia. At this point, who could be the real enemy of this arc? I would exclude also Ram and Beatrice. The only left one is Roswall, who didn't give me positive vibes from the beginning.
The second part of the episode has been particularly astounding. All the character building towards the ending is perfect. Subaru has been killed by Rem, maybe is going to be killed by Ram, has already died three times and doesn't know if after a fourth time he could be able to active his power and return to the "save point". Nevertheless, he decides to jump betting his life because he now cares not only about Emilia, but also about Ram and Rem. The final 10 minutes of the episode are really powerful and the feelings are perfectly conveyed by the OST and the VOs.
Final note: I suppose that the tale Subaru told Ram hides some foreshadowing, considering how many minutes this tale took in the episode and the color association. So, in some ways, Rem decided to sacrifice for her sister.. but what did she sacrifice?

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just rewatched the first season and i checked the manga, and i was surprised the manga is right next to where the anime finished 4 years ago. I've readed the web novel ages ago, but i forgot a lot, will wait now for the second season.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Still no new real content in the Director's Cut yet, but we did get a new variation on the ending.