• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which do you prefer?

• RDR2's highly detailed pickup animations (immersion)

Votes: 414 19.2%
  • GoT's instant pickups with no accompanying animation (speed)

Votes: 1,740 80.8%

• Total voters

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
After playing Ghost, I can't go back to the old way. This honestly made my testing of Horizon Zero Dawn's PC version feel that extra bit laborious.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 forced some tough choices before the law would come. I appreciated the immersion.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I remember playing Asscreed odyssey right after rdr2 and being able to pickup shit right from the horse and no animation was so fucking refreshing. Glad Tsushima followed this.
Yeah, same. It was really jarring at first because it felt really janky compared to RDR2, but I quickly grew to appreciate it.

Your horse in Odyssey is basically a car with legs and I'm fine with that. Being able to park it vertically against a wall is a bonus, not a glitch.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like the way the last of us part 2 does it. It has the nice animations but if you move you're not locked in place because of them.

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
Going with GoT on this one. I feel like a good balance would be to use a longer, more ceremonial, animation the first instance of encountering a particular type of resource or equivalent. It grounds you in what's actually occurring but doesn't become unnecessary padding after that first time. Or have a "quick hands" or "loot magnet" ability that you can earn/spend points on if your game has systems like that.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Most of the time instant pickups are the best but making it time consuming has its value too. I only wish RDR2 gave you the option to skip the animation in the quieter moments where there is no need rush.

Oct 25, 2017
Generally, I'll go with speed any day. I'm not against the idea of having a hard coded slow animation to pick up shit, but if I'm wasting 10 times as long to pick up loot, that loot better be worth 10 times more.

Make the pickups bring a more meaningful gameplay change, if the materials I'm picking up are just fluff that could easily be removed from the game and just balance the entire upgrade system (or whatever) around money alone, then it better not waste my time.

Collecting herbs in open world games is the worst. So I appreciate it when it at least doesn't waste time.

It can lead to some cool gameplay scenarios, though, like wanting to grab something and bail, but having to deal with the animations.

But that can also be achieved with a simple "hold to pickup" with a slow hold time instead of instant pick up. Assassin's Creed Odyssey does this for more valuable loot or things you'd want to grab and run from the rest of the encounter, while also allowing you to pick things up from the back of your horse without stopping.

My vote goes for Sekiro's vacuum cleaner function.
That one is so good to use, hahaha. The loot flying to you fulfills that role of a satisfying animation attached to looting, without actually having looting animation.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
RDR 2 all the way. Missing animations in a AAA game, especially the huge number of missing animations in Ghost, is a big no go. It looks super cheap, soulless, simple and fucking lazy.

Fucking lazy eh. Based on the poll results most people appreciated not having their time wasted for such a mundane action.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Kudos to Rockstar for going all in on those realistic gathering and skinning animations. No one else really does this, and it's fascinating to see what it looks like when done well.

But I prefer instant pick-ups, even if there are no animations.

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
The older I get the more I want my games to be gamey and strive less for realism. go as photorealistic as you want overall for graphics, but I'm all for the little gamey elements like instant pickups and menus.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Never played either game, but drawn out animations for something you're repeatedly doing during gameplay are awful. It's a game. I really, really don't need every little thing to be accurate and realistic.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Gameplay is king !

GoT > RDR2 to keep the quick and flowing pace.

But I agree with others around here saying TLoU2 was perfect in balancing that aspect.

I'm a fan of MGSV and Death Stranding's approach as well.

#teamKeepItMoving

Last edited:

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I love that I don't have to dismount from my horse to pick shit up in Ghost.

Nov 4, 2017
I think the different styles suit what they were going for. Lee van Cleef or Clint Eastwood kneeling in the dirt to search a body for a clue or ammo is something I could picture in a western. It's something that seems "beneath" the cartoonish image of a Samurai portrayed in cinema.

To be honest, the "realism" of RDR2 got in the way of my fun more often than it enhanced it. "Oh cool, my horse shat on itself for the third time in 2 minutes, better groom it". But it did occasionally lead to tense moments where I had to choose between pay or getaway.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
yea this is where the new AC games get it right, you hold the button to get everything that's piled up together at once, and pressing O/B to pickup feels better than pressing R2 since R2 takes a lot more effort to press for something that mundane that you do repetitively.
Yeah for sure, it annoyed to so much that SP didn't have adjustable control schemes, I found it baffling tbh. Maybe it's my controller also, it's getting old after all, but changing stances with R2 in combat was really sluggish a lot of the time, it would often not react and bring up the menu properly.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for sure, it annoyed to so much that SP didn't have adjustable control schemes, I found it baffling tbh. Maybe it's my controller also, it's getting old after all, but changing stances with R2 in combat was really sluggish a lot of the time, it would often not react and bring up the menu properly.
Oh man, controls are basically the worst thing about that game. No lock on ability, which is fine I guess, but then no ability to use shoulder buttons for attacks...which is not fine. So you basically have to choose between fighting the camera and adjusting it or fighting the enemy.

Then there's no consistency in item management, R2 slows down time to allow you to switch stances. L2 which has more items due to each item having a sub menu...doesn't slow down time. The weapons from the same category (Ghost weapons) are split between L2 and R2. It's basically like the control choice of the game is total nonsense.

Last edited:

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Why not both ? You can tied that to gameplay, long pressing make the full animation and quick press the quickest one...

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Oh man, controls are basically the worst thing about that game.
No lock on ability, which is fine I guess, but then no ability to use shoulder buttons for attacks...which is not fine. So you basically have to choose between fighting the camera and adjusting it or fighting the enemy.

Then there's no inconsistency in item management, R2 slows down time to allow you to switch stances. L2 which has more items due to each item having a sub menu...doesn't slow down time. The weapons from the same category (Ghost weapons) are split between L2 and R2. It's basically like the control choice of the game is total nonsense.

No lock on is about the only I dislike about the controls (and sometimes me pressing the button for the stance before hitting R2 because my fingers act faster than my brain) mainly in combat scenarios with hostages.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just give me an option to turn it on or off. I like both but sometimes with RDR2 it got really old, whereas with Got I'm not always in a rush and would be happy to see it.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 is a game where Rockstar's ambitions ran way ahead of their (and everybody else's) technical abilities. One day we'll be able to have animations that look great, realistic, and smooth. But not yet.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I really liked the immersion factor of RDR2 to begin with, but after a while it stopped making sense even on its own terms. For example, in-universe Arthur wouldn't need to flick through the same goddamn clothing catalogue or weapons catalogue every time he went into the store; he'd know what he wanted, and he'd just ask.

Same goes for looting a chest of drawers. Sooner or later he'd lose patience with meticulously examining every nook and cranny of a dresser in a place he knew was empty of people, and where he clearly doesn't care about appearances, so he'd just rip the drawers out, or kick the thing over and scoop up whatever falls out.

RDR2 felt very non-gamey to begin with, but then it became more obviously gamey over time by drawing attention to things that would naturally have evolved by that point in the character's journey.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Something in between. But if I have to choose one I prefer the RDR2 aproach.

I really liked the immersion factor of RDR2 to begin with, but after a while it stopped making sense even on its own terms. For example, in-universe Arthur wouldn't need to flick through the same goddamn clothing catalogue or weapons catalogue every time he went into the store; he'd know what he wanted, and he'd just ask.

Same goes for looting a chest of drawers. Sooner or later he'd lose patience with meticulously examining every nook and cranny of a dresser in a place he knew was empty of people, and where he clearly doesn't care about appearances, so he'd just rip the drawers out, or kick the thing over and scoop up whatever falls out.

RDR2 felt very non-gamey to begin with, but then it became more obviously gamey over time by drawing attention to things that would naturally have evolved by that point in the character's journey.

In RDR2 in stores you can go directly for the item you want to buy, they're in the shelves.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played RDR2, but in Far Cry 4 you had the option to have the protagonist crouch and pat down the enemies when taking loot, or just magically get it once he was within range. I chose the latter, because if it's something you'll be doing hundreds if not thousands of times I don't want to watch the same animation over and over.

And yeah, I love the way GoT does it. Grabbing flowers or bamboo as you gallop past is the best! I guess an option like above would be the best compromise, but for me speed/QoL >>> immersion.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
RDR is like the animations in Fire emblem.

They are pretty and great looking but about 10 hours in you turn them off in the options menu because you are tired of them.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I like instant pickups for loot. It's always a nice surprise when I pick uo a new gale and see ammo/poants/whatever being instantly pickup up as I walk by them.

It should be an option when possible. Playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint at the mopent, I appreciate how you can pick up plants instantly by walking over them, but if you stop walking you will see your character animate and pick up the plant. The animation is cancellable if you simply move. It's perfect.

On a side note, I will definitely need to get used to GoT meaning Ghost of Tsushima, after all these years.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Different games, different pacings, different needs, but, although it wouldn't be as good in a different game, I like RDR's animation better because I enjoy the slow pacing of the game overall.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Absolutely despised RDR2 for this, when you just killed 15-20 in a shoot out, then have to painfully watch Arthur loot each body holding down the button for the next 10 min.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
In a game that can last me 50+ hours? Definitely speed.

Got real annoyed by the slowness of it all in RDR2 in the post-story (when I just wanted to do side-missions, challenges, hunting, etc).

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Nor Tetris, but is 1000 times funnier. And wouldnt call shooting in RDR2 polished...
Not to mention GoT doesn't need a map as it uses ingame world to guide you. RDR2 on the other hand does need a map, along with a mini map without which you'd be lost. RDR2 isn't this pinnacle of immersion that some make it out to be. It just ends up feeling more game-y than if anything because there's no change or improvement to his behaviour and animations regardless of whether you are in shooting or just exploring, whether you are 1 hour in or 30 hour in...something that would need to happen if you are going for total immersion in those areas.

Not to mention RDR2 isn't really an immersive sim either like some other people have been trying to claim. An immersive sim allows you to solve ingame problems using real world logic, RDR2 is an extremely linear and hand crafted experience in an open world with very little procedural elements to it.

Last edited:

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Oh man, controls are basically the worst thing about that game.
No lock on ability, which is fine I guess, but then no ability to use shoulder buttons for attacks...which is not fine. So you basically have to choose between fighting the camera and adjusting it or fighting the enemy.

Then there's no inconsistency in item management, R2 slows down time to allow you to switch stances. L2 which has more items due to each item having a sub menu...doesn't slow down time. The weapons from the same category (Ghost weapons) are split between L2 and R2. It's basically like the control choice of the game is total nonsense.
I don't think I have ever agreed as much with a post here than with this one :D I loved the game and deemed it worthy to get the plat in, but man it is deeply flawed at the same time somehow.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are voting in favour of an aspect of RDR2 that actually turned me off from completing the game. It went way too hard in the "sim" direction (animations, cleaning my fucking horse) to the point that it was the definition of S L O G.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I strongly prefer the RDR2 approach. That game's world design and commitment to its presentation was sublime, and honestly I wish a lot of the simulation elements were even more in depth and required more focus (like eating, starving, and keeping the camp fed).