• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which do you prefer?

• RDR2's highly detailed pickup animations (immersion)

Votes: 414 19.2%
  • GoT's instant pickups with no accompanying animation (speed)

Votes: 1,740 80.8%

• Total voters

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
One game goes for immersion and authenticity, the other grants instant satisfaction and a simpler ''arcade''-like feel.

It's like comparing Assetto Corsa with Mario Kart or Call of Duty with Hell let Loose. I like both equally. Definitely can't say i ever had problems with RDR2's animation in my 50+ hour playthrough.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
Somewhere in the middle, even something like in TLOU2 where the character would reach out and grab something but still in a quick and responsive way. Also you were able to hold the button down, get the animation but pick up multiple items at once.
I literally would just sprint through buildings tapping R2 in Ghost and it makes searching for loot feel really empty.

I voted immersion, I'm one of the people who really enjoys Red Dead's slow and immersive pace.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I can't pick one, because I find both enjoyable if they fit the themes the games are going for. I can get slightly annoyed at immersion design if I just want to play the game, but that rarely happens.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Good lord do I prefer Tsushima's, so much easier. Who gives a fuck about immersion when it actively hampers the experience.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
also even if im not entirely happy with rdr2's animation speed, im really happy that rockstar actually went for something like that in a AAA game - games that are willing to focus on immersion even at possibly the cost of fun* usually exist in the lower budget brackets.

*"fun" in a traditional, gamey sense - realism/immersion can be just as fun/engaging, just in a different way

Jan 4, 2018
I would like accompanying animations by default with a 'Instant Pickup' option in settings. It's cool for a while but in a sixty hour game you eventually wanna expedite the looting process.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. I could go for both. RDR was going for a full immersion approach and I appreciated it mostly. But sometimes I also just wanna play a game. It depends on me mood.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Nothing breaks immersion faster than your character taking 45 minutes to do everything. Cumbersome and annoying = very immersive!

As others have said, Last of Us 2 is a perfect middle ground but definitely Ghost over RDR2, if you have to have a polar option.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
If I gotta choose I'll always go for responsiveness but that doesn't mean that slower interactions aren't a worthwhile additions depending on how it's done.

Pure convenience will sometimes remove from a game experience because there needs to be a back and forth between the game and the players.

A great example of a game streamlining its systems while still keeping its satisfying gameplay is Monster hunter world.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
For a longer game, I prefer the GoT approach.

I'm trying to think of how awful it would be to have everything animated in a large immersive sim game like Prey, where you open up thousands of containers for loot. That would be a thousand additional annoyances if I had to sit through a long animation every time.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Thread Whining
Are people really comparing this on the internet? Serious question. Out of all the things to compare they are choosing this?

Raven Prime

Oct 31, 2017
I know it's not just the looting, my point is that there's so much in the game that you're not required to stick with the parts of it that you're not enjoying until they become a chore. Someone commented that they just ignored hunting for example, and maybe because of that they didn't complete some checkmarkers or 100% that part of the game, but I don't feel like it was essential. There's a point to be made about content bloat in these aspects sure, but I don't think that the elaborate priority animations are part of it, they just might get in the way if you're trying to optimize the way you do these activities.

And it brings me back to my original post, I always knew gamer seem really into optimizing everything or "min-maxing", but not every game needs to make that an option and I did not realize these people were the majority.

Well regarding your original post, I think it boils down to nature in the end, it's why repetitive actions become subconscious behavior eventually, we just don't like to spend too much conscious time on things that hold no new information.

Last edited:

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 controlled poorly. That doesn't mean highly detailed animations need to be inherently slow.

Give me Ghost, TLOU2, BOTW, or Death Stranding. As long as I feel like I'm in control of my character I'm happy.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
#TeamImmersion

For Ghost it works fine, but for a game like Red Dead, its main selling point (FOR ME) is being completely immersed in this world. Its not about LEVELING UP REVOLVER TO LEVEL 6 SO I CAN EQUIPPED RED BULLETS THAT SHOOT GREEN SMOKE FOR MAXIMUM DAMAGE.

But those types of games are fine too.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
These games should start making it an option. I love animations for first couple hours.
Then when I'm just gaming the game, I want speed only.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
The thing with #TeamImmersion is that in real-life, your brain kind of shuts off and skips when you do repetitive tasks (at least mine does), so having the process spelled out in its entirety feels unnatural in a game where you can't shut off the information stream as easily.

I guess it's not the same "immersion" we are talking about. Immersion for me includes comfort and interactivity to the point that the character is an extension of myself. Losing control of my immediate movement during a second-long cutscene breaks that presence. Immersion in other people's case seem to be a replacement word for hyperrealism and believability.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When Monster Hunter removed gathering animations for most stuff (in world), i felt like i could cry in joy.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR are 9.7 MC animations. Love them.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
GoT is a million times better. A few million times better, maybe 4 million times better.

Edit: 5 million times better, it's 5.

KnightOwl

Oct 25, 2017
Team Speed! I actually stopped playing RDR2 because of the overuse of animations like picking up loot. It really turned me off from the game.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i guess im team nottrashcontrols. couldnt stand how rdr2 played, not even the 60fps version could overcome just how bad rdr2 felt to play.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I would prefer the RDR2 system with a toggle in the options to skip it for instant pick-up. Give me a choice.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima still has annoying animations that slow you down frequently for no reason, like when you're chilling with your horse after an enemy camp or tale and can't move or do anything for 5-10 seconds while watching something you've already seen 10 times.

And it's super annoying that you can't auto loot enemies or have that vacuum loot thing like Sekiro. Especially when you trigger a cutscene immediately after defeating everyone and then lose your loot permanently. I literally stopped fighting right before the end of battles just to go pick up shit because I didn't want to lose it.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
RDR2 was so fatiguing for me. Partly because of its highly long and detailed animations. GOT for sure.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with #TeamImmersion is that in real-life, your brain kind of shuts off and skips when you do repetitive tasks (at least mine does), so having the process spelled out in its entirety feels unnatural in a game where you can't shut off the information stream as easily.

I guess it's not the same "immersion" we are talking about. Immersion for me includes comfort and interactivity to the point that the character is an extension of myself. Losing control of my immediate movement during a second-long cutscene breaks that presence. Immersion in other people's case seem to be a replacement word for hyperrealism and believability.

Yeah thats what always got me about #TeamImmersion.

My immersion is not that Arthur is 90 years old with crippling Arthritis that makes him take 10 years to do any action.

Deleted member 75594

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 21, 2020
Not every game has to be the same, but for long open-world affairs I appreciate speed for the "housekeeping" portions of gameplay.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Two different things, but the instant pick-up way of GoT makes me not care about what I'm picking up, but it suits the speed of that game. In RDR2, it was nice to take a breather and see what was available in drawers and stuff, really appreciate all the little visual details of the area, etc. It fit the deliberately slower pace of that game. Instant pick-ups would have looked pretty comical. TLOU2 kinda dances between them. Super-detailed environments and standard pickup speed animations, but even in that game, at least playing on normal, pickups lost their meaning after a while. I just spammed the pickup button crouch-walking through areas.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding did better than both,if you just tap the pick up button,it start the animation,which by itself was incredible well animated and faster than RDR2,but could be even faster,if you have a lot of itens you could just hold the botton and Sam starts picking up all as fast as the Flash.
Someone has a gif to show what I am saying?
Death Stranding and The Last of Us / Part II does it perfectly,well animated and fast,even faster if you hold the button.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I've played neither. My vote is what MGS5 and Death Stranding did which is prove you can have a pick up animation and still gather things quickly.

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
I appreciate the time and effort dedicated to animation. But it should be best if there are only done a few times. This can also break the immersion if a player gets tired of the same animations.

If picking up items will be done hundreds or thousands of times by the player, I would rather have GoT's approach.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Glad to see a lot of people going with "it depends." Not only does it vary from game to game for me, but I actually like variety in my playing experience. After a long immersive title I often crave something dramatically different.

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I think there is somewhere in between that's ideal. Pickups in TLoU2 were basically instant, but the animations that went along with it were much more impressive than GoT in my opinion.

Also yea... it really depends on what kinda experience the devs intend.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't mind the RDR2 animations at all because it was a slow paced game. Wouldn't work for every game though.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are games we're talking about. Gameplay fluidity should always come first. So instant.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I'm generally against making a game cumbersome and less fun for the sake of realism, so I vastly preferred being able to pick flowers without having to stop running to my next bath.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I still believe that RDR2 should have the exact gameplay feel copied from The Last of Us.

Ghost focus more on gameplay feel rather than realism while RDR2 and TLOU focus more on the latter but TLOU consider the game feel pretty high and RDR2 sacrificed it.