• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which do you prefer?

• RDR2's highly detailed pickup animations (immersion)

Votes: 414 19.2%
  • GoT's instant pickups with no accompanying animation (speed)

Votes: 1,740 80.8%

• Total voters

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm the kind of person that sees much more value on playing a teleport song in Ocarina of Time that an instant teleport button. RDR2 ftw.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I've not even played GoT but instant wins every time. I have up laugh that some people think holding a us immersive as well.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Personally, I kind of hated everything about RDR2, so I guess I'll go with GoT. I never really thought much about the animations either way though tbh

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm one of those people that never really feels immersed in console/PC games to begin with. The barrier between my interaction with the game and what's happening on-screen keeps me firmly rooted in the fact that I'm playing a game and barely interacting with the world in a way that I find immersive. 9 times out of 10 I'm crafting my own narrative in open world games to begin with.

So just about anything that's done "for immersion" that also results in the gameplay being slowed down will annoy me. I'd rather get the busywork over with as soon as possible so I can move onto the elements of a game that are actually mechanically interesting.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
I haven't played GoT (shame), but if they are similar to BOTW's, then #TeamSpeed all the way.

I think there is a middle ground tho. Something like TLOU2 is fast and responsive and still have an animation attached.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
100% Ghost's approach. In a big open world which is inevitably repetitive, things should be quick and smooth. Red Dead's animations looked great but looting bodies was tedious as hell.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I think each game can do what it sees best for its gameplay design systems. For a simulation game, I may want something more detailed and systemic. For something less so, I might just want to run over stuff and have it go straight into my inventory.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Tsushima all the way.

Heck, Days Gone's Deacon picking up Freaker's ears are instant/no animations at all.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Instant pickups by far.

Detailed animations are cool but it's just waste of F time, and can break how the gameplay flows, imo.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Honestly? TLOU2 is the best of both worlds.
Naughty Dog is the one that nailed it.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first time you loot something in RDR2 it is impressive. By the 10th time it's a little old and by the 50th time I'm over it. Really should have had an option to skip the animation.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Definitely all the animations. Playing Death Stranding currently and I wish it had even more animations and things to make your life hard.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have RDR2's. I do not like GoT's and ACO's instant pickups.
TLOU2 is a good compromise
This. TLOU has the best approach. Death Stranding is similar but that is more immersion breaking because its so video gamey.

Having no animation just makes me think of low budget japanese games and their fade to black cuts. Funny enough Ghosts does the same thing too.

SodaGrump

Aug 2, 2020
I think for me it depends on the game and the feel its trying to go for. With something like RDR2, I kind of dug the practical-ness of it at the time, at least in single player. I felt immersed.

But something that is loot heavy or where loot is a huge part of the loop, like a Destiny or Borderlands. Get that outta here, I need speed.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Immersion. I play games for my enjoyment and leisure. Put a ton of hours in RDR2 and never once was bothered by it.
A beautifully detailed game like this, it'd take away from the realism if items were picked up by walking over them.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'd like to have both, specially with the insane quality of RDR2's animations. One press to loot, double tap to skip animation if I happen to be in a hurry.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The Answer is TLOU2
But I think an fast auto pick-up would not fit RDR2. But I agree that RDR2 was a little too slow and could have been a little faster.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
GoT and it's not even a contest, 5h in RDR2 i just stopped looting.

but especially when TLOU2 found the equilibrium between the two, their animations are well above RDR2's in quality and are fast and responsive.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Rdr2 was great with its immersion in animations but gold tedious and annoying quite wuick.

Love it in got, especially horse pick up and such.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played GoTs yet, but RDR2's animations wouldn't have been as much of a problem if it felt like all aspects of teh game were balanced around them, or if it felt like mission design took them into account.

I think 90% of the actual issue with these approaches is how frequently the game expects you to grab stuff off the ground (or do whatever).

yup

the auto-pickup setting in TLoU2 made looting much more palatable.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I'd take RDR2 pickup over an unnecessary intro & outro every goddamn mission. That really gets old and annoying very quick. Something like TLOU2 is perfect though.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd say each game went with the one that best suited it. That said, my personal preference would be TLOU2's middle ground, which is still fast and fluid but remains realistic at the same time.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Ghost of Tsushima. I am not going to wait through many animations of getting off the horse to cut the bamboo then take the bamboo and put into a pouch on the horse. This is one of many reasons why i stayed far away from RDR2.

Nov 11, 2017
There is nothing immersive about slowly looting corpses and then seeing MISSION FAILED just because you didn't continue walking in a direction following another character for 30 seconds.

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 turned into a giant slog due to this shit. I could even accept it if there was one animation and then it just "collects all" like all in proximity. Every single fucking item and you cant be on the horse either. Wish there was an animation toggle. Fuck immersion, so much wasted time.

I remember playing Asscreed odyssey right after rdr2 and being able to pickup shit right from the horse and no animation was so fucking refreshing. Glad Tsushima followed this.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I kinda like Days Gone's compromise. Freakers (like 80% of what you're fighting) loot automatically when you're in proximity. Wild animals and humans get an animation.