• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think RDR2 will be surpassed?

• 0-5 years

• 5-10 years

• 10+ years

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
The only thing that impressed me was the graphics. The story missions were so so bad, just following someone on a horse while they talk. Honestly no idea how so many people look over this

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
The best shot anyone has of taking down RDR2 (for open world games) is Cyberpunk 2077, and that doesn't look like it will have anywhere near as strong a narrative (handcuffed by its own design choices). Technically could surpass it, but i'd wager less emotionally engaging and resonant. Last of Us 2 will challenge (and likely surpass) RDR2 in narrative and emotional moments, but it's obviously not an open world behemoth built on hundreds of dynamic and overlapping mechanisms.

Beyond that there is nothing on the horizon (see what I did there?) that is even pretending to go for the same scope coupled with a strong narrative. Next contender will be whatever Rockstar cooks up, but even they're probably more concerned/content with online growth for GTAV and RDR2 than with putting something new out, at least for the next 5 years.

The only thing that impressed me was the graphics. The story missions were so so bad, just following someone on a horse while they talk. Honestly no idea how so many people look over this

Yo, what? As soon as the reigns were off I was exploring the map as far as I could safely go. Probably spent 20 hours in the wilderness and towns just exploring before I got back to the main storyline. And the missions (out of the hundred+) i remember were burning down a farm, robbing a train, sneaking out of a city while hunted by cops (after robbing a bank), hunting down and fighting a lion, freaking busting Micah out of jail and covering his stupid murdering ass as he takes revenge on an entire town (should have let him rot!), hot air balloon surveillance.. what?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
It's a messy masterpiece. Kinda love that a big budget game was almost deliberately alienating to whoever wasn't on its wavelength. Too many blockbuster games seem desperate to appeal to everyone.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How incredibly boring and a slog it was is all I can think of. Overrated game just like most rockstar games 🤷‍♂️ In my opinion that is of course.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
in its genre, who knows. Overall as a gaming experience the likes of Disco Elysium is a far more engrossing and mind-blowing (I expected a lot, and my expectations were still exceeded by the writing) experience to me.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Still playing it to this day.

The most livid, life-like and convincing open world created this generation, hands down. The animal ecosystem and behavior and the town / city representation is the most true to life in the video game spectrum.

kamandi

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing it because i really wanted to like it but at one point i just couldnt force myself to go on so i quit. Vistas are great but the game is simply not fun. I am glad someone enjoyed it but being a huge western movies fan, the game was not the ultimate cowboy experience i have been waiting for so long. Everything felt so scripted and predestined, i dont know...

Edit: great review about the game https://youtu.be/MvJPKOLDSos

Designer_Fake

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 has ruined a lot of other games for me. Plenty of game worlds just feel lifeless now compared to what Red Dead did. It's truly an astounding accomplishment.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play RDR2 until 2019. If I had played it in 2018, it would have been my personal goty.

May 13, 2018
To me, RDR2 is a phenomenal experience. But as a game it's not as great.
That world though... It's definitely made me more nitpicky over other open world games. But the controls and the strict mission structure definitely hurts it in my eyes.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I bet you were really salty when the awards went out. GOW was GOTY.

Eh, opinions an all, but it seemed to me GoW fans were saltier even after it won more awards. All they could talk about was RDR2 and how bad they thought it was, as if they thought their game couldn't stand on its own without tearing down another game.

RDR2 was my easy game of the year, but Spider-Man and GoW were 2 and 3.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are good worldbuilders but the story, gameplay, mechanics, etc.. leave a lot to be desired.

I gave up halfway the first playthrough and started again some months later and I was dissappointed with the story. It went exactly where I thought it was going to.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Incredibly alive feeling game. That aspect of it might take a while to be surpassed. Still dip into online every now and then just to freeroam, relax and enjoy the atmosphere.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I say 10 years. While the story can be exceeded, the gameplay can be past, the open world could be better realized in other games, the odds that all 3 come together in one game is unlikely in the immediate future.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The same thing happened with BoTW for me, and to be honest I still think about it.

RDR2, eh, I kind of forgot about it a month after I played it - too constrained for my liking and the gameplay was still dull. Still, an incredible game for what it was.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
The "we need more money" beats started to weigh on me.

I loved side stories like Arthur seeing his old flame. There's some really great self contained stuff in there, but at the same time I think I was dissapointed in the overall plot but I'm thinking of giving it another chance.

The gameplay is for sure, mission design and the general waves of cardboard cut out enemies can't make me love the game. It sours all the incredible things it does.

So TLOU2 will easily surpass it, and it has already been surpassed by other games in its release year.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
What part of it hasn't already been surpassed? The writing isn't nearly as good, evocative or nuanced as the Witcher 3, not to mention the art style is less evocative (and the faces way worse and less expressive). It's incredibly one-note ("Aren't we such bad men? We truly are bad. But you're marginally worse than I, Marston." "Well I disagree and find you to be the worse of us two, Morgan." "Well we'll have to agree to disagree on that front. At least Dutch, one of the least interesting or charismatic villains in the history of games, has some vague plan for us to follow. We can agree there. Anyway let's ignore that plan and do a boring fishing minigame and hunt for no reason."). All of the gameplay scenarios are just have the gun auto-aim at the guy, shoot, pull the trigger again to ready it, repeat, oh and if you slowly trudge 3 centimeters away from the intended area you'll have to start again.Do this for like 60 hours over and over and over again because literally every mission is this. Also feel free to ignore this arcane and ludicrous core system which 80% of people who finish this game do so while never even remotely understanding how it works because it doesn't matter, just like nearly every other mechanic shoved in there for the sake of "realism" (which it does not even remotely reach) at the expense of hundreds of mistreated and overworked developers.

Enjoy the many thrills of Red Dead Redemption 2, such as "Do you enjoy watching these racist and sexist contractors build this framehouse? No? Oh." or "Watch us split this log; once we're done cutting, we'll move on to the next segment! Definitely worth the PTSD from development stresses!" or "Ah, a pleasant stroll through the meadow grove on my hors-annnnnnd it tripped over a piece pf gravel again and sent me flying face-first into a tree again." or "We care about indigenous peoples and this is a very serious game about the American dream. JK LOL YOU'VE GOT TUBERCULOSIS WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE PEOPLE THIS COUNTRY RAPED AND PILLAGED CAUSE YOU'RE A SAD BAD MAN"

Red Dead Redemption 2 is horseshit top-to-bottom. There's nothing remarkable about it. It's a frankenstein gestalt of bespoke pieces that add up to nothing. At least the sunsets were pretty.

tumblr_mu661gdTKe1rlwn4io4_250.gif

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After getting to chapter 2 and not playing It again I've recently gone back and now just got to chapter 3 and the game is incredible!

i am playing on a One X on an LG C9 OLED and the graphics are like nothing I have seen before, the game is also amazing, I love every minute im in the world, it's so immersive and moments I just ride off by myself feels like I am alone in the wilderness.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, because the voice acting, soundtrack and perfectly immersive open world wasn't top tier?

The game has a 97/100 on Metacritic and that's when releasing after another masterpiece like God of War. It has the same score as Breath of the Wild, so it's in VERY good company.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't agree more. It's a masterpiece.

I also think Arthur will sit at the top for the most well-made character and protagonist for a long time as well, he was like a blank piece of paper from the start but within a few chapters they had fleshed him out better than any other character I can think of.

The living open world and it's diversity will probably stay unsurpassed until the next AAA Rockstar game, whatever that may be. The amount of care they've put into even the tiniest of details is just insane. It shows that it's made by a big team without rushing.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, because the voice acting, soundtrack and perfectly immersive open world wasn't top tier?

The game has a 97/100 on Metacritic and that's when releasing after another masterpiece like God of War. It has the same score as Breath of the Wild, so it's in VERY good company.
God of war has a lower meta and yet won the most game of the year awards, more than rdr2, what does that tell you?
Rdr2 was a good game, but it's atrocious controls and boring story missions bring it really down for me

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
What part of it hasn't already been surpassed? The writing isn't nearly as good, evocative or nuanced as the Witcher 3, not to mention the art style is less evocative (and the faces way worse and less expressive). It's incredibly one-note ("Aren't we such bad men? We truly are bad. But you're marginally worse than I, Marston." "Well I disagree and find you to be the worse of us two, Morgan." "Well we'll have to agree to disagree on that front. At least Dutch, one of the least interesting or charismatic villains in the history of games, has some vague plan for us to follow. We can agree there. Anyway let's ignore that plan and do a boring fishing minigame and hunt for no reason."). All of the gameplay scenarios are just have the gun auto-aim at the guy, shoot, pull the trigger again to ready it, repeat, oh and if you slowly trudge 3 centimeters away from the intended area you'll have to start again.Do this for like 60 hours over and over and over again because literally every mission is this. Also feel free to ignore this arcane and ludicrous core system which 80% of people who finish this game do so while never even remotely understanding how it works because it doesn't matter, just like nearly every other mechanic shoved in there for the sake of "realism" (which it does not even remotely reach) at the expense of hundreds of mistreated and overworked developers.

Enjoy the many thrills of Red Dead Redemption 2, such as "Do you enjoy watching these racist and sexist contractors build this framehouse? No? Oh." or "Watch us split this log; once we're done cutting, we'll move on to the next segment! Definitely worth the PTSD from development stresses!" or "Ah, a pleasant stroll through the meadow grove on my hors-annnnnnd it tripped over a piece pf gravel again and sent me flying face-first into a tree again." or "We care about indigenous peoples and this is a very serious game about the American dream. JK LOL YOU'VE GOT TUBERCULOSIS WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE PEOPLE THIS COUNTRY RAPED AND PILLAGED CAUSE YOU'RE A SAD BAD MAN"

Red Dead Redemption 2 is horseshit top-to-bottom. There's nothing remarkable about it. It's a frankenstein gestalt of bespoke pieces that add up to nothing. At least the sunsets were pretty.

I love when I come into a thread all fired up but then see a post like this that is so much more well written than anything I was going to say. I will just add I concur and nothing in RDR2 hasn't been surpassed except for are there horse balls on any other game right now?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
God of war has a lower meta and yet won the most game of the year awards, more than rdr2, what does that tell you?
Rdr2 was a good game, but it's atrocious controls and boring story missions bring it really down for me
It tells me that game critics scored one game higher than the other. Personally i don't look at GotY awards as mattering more than review score averages.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017

Perfect post

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I should probably give this one a second chance, huh?

If you already walked away from it I promise you it doesn't all of a sudden become a better game. I forced myself back through it because of the hype and it was a decent amount of time I wish I regret not devoting to much better games

It tells me that game critics scored one game higher than the other. Personally i don't look at GotY awards as mattering more than review score averages.

Huh. No it means it was a hype fest on release that once people actually thought about it realized "Wait this pretty game was pretty forgettable in general and especially so when held up against its peers" It tells you the exact opposite is happening than the OP is alleging in that it was remarkable and made a stamp on the industry.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Huh. No it means it was a hype fest on release that once people actually thought about it realized "Wait this pretty game was pretty forgettable in general and especially so when held up against its peers" It tells you the exact opposite is happening than the OP is alleging in that it was remarkable and made a stamp on the industry.
Couldn't put it better myself

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Games are reviewed by people who've played through it, hype has nothing to do with the scores. RDR2 also had to be compared to GoW when it came to scores, yet it managed to score a 97 vs a 94 overall.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was topped by several games that released before it, including several rockstar games.

Many games that released this year are infinitely better than RDR2.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Let's be honest here, we as a community let a lot of shit slide that shouldn't when it comes to reception. And it still baffles me that RDR2 can be the highest reviews game of the year, and likely the generation, yet still these same publications won't give it GOTY. It's enough to make me question any review scores moving forward. Mind you RDR2 imo is 93 at best and God of War a 90.

Its honestly the honeymoon phase, because low key. GTA 4 and Red Dead are no where near as good as their scores. How anyone can rate Red Dead a 9 or 10 the way it controls is mind boggling.
That high of a meta and its not even game of the year. A game that scored lower than it got majority of all the game of the year votes, and Red Dead came out 2 months ahead of the awards, while GOW came out more than 6 months before hand

Red Dead honestly controls as if you are playing it on a streaming service. No game that controls like that should have get that high of a meta ever.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And yes, I think the complaints about the control are just way overblown. I say this as someone who regularly play games at 60fps on PC. RDR2 control is just fine.
Right? I never understood the complaints about the controls OR mission "structure". I enjoyed the missions thoroughly.

My only complaint has to do with the wanted and witness system.

10/10. Can't wait to dive in again and experience it all again.

How is online btw?

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it was, one of the best games of all time.

2nd best game of the generation behind breath of the wild.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the "it controls like an old shopping trolley" poll option?

It's a stunni g open world but the controls, shooting and mission design are pretty poor, and sometimes near dreadful.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its honestly the honeymoon phase, because low key. GTA 4 and Red Dead are no where near as good as their scores. How anyone can rate Red Dead a 9 or 10 the way it controls is mind boggling.
That high of a meta and its not even game of the year. A game that scored lower than it got majority of all the game of the year votes, and Red Dead came out 2 months ahead of the awards, while GOW came out more than 6 months before hand

Red Dead honestly controls as if you are playing it on a streaming service. No game that controls like that should have get that high of a meta ever.
Absolutely, we are in a honeymoon phase thats lasting over a year. We are absolutely lying to ourself about liking this game . You are absolutely right that that it is insane to give this game high scores , no matter how much you enjoyed the experience, no matter how much people think its fantastic technological and artistic achievement of the medium. You are absolutely right that over 130 publications that gave RDR 2 game of the year they really did not actually think it was GOTY . You hit the nail on the head about alll of it,. when RDR 2 got 3rd place in this forum GOTY votes? Those people were actually were just confused on what to vote , they forgot God of War existed that year, due to release window. Your insight is something most people should take note.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
If you already walked away from it I promise you it doesn't all of a sudden become a better game. I forced myself back through it because of the hype and it was a decent amount of time I wish I regret not devoting to much better games

This is such an odd sentiment. And only seems to exist from people who are just soooo salty that the game is tied for the generation as the best reviewed game.

"Rockstar games are overrated by reviewers!"

"Honeymoon phase!"

"God of War is the better game!"

you guys just need to realize people loved the game. Folks had the same complaints about the controls in GTAV and it's a pop culture phenomenon. And we'll go through this same song and dance with GTAVI.

Jul 26, 2018
Let's see here...

Terrible controls, character movement, mission design, pre-baked animations for everything, about twice as long as it needed to be, every mission is the same after the midway point, characters who do stupid things because plot... Yeah... No...

Only memorable thing is how disappointing it is.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 trounces God of War in almost every metric used for success. Critically, commercially and fiscally. It's still selling well.

Game is treated as a landmark moment for the industry by most. Time to accept it.