• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I have a PS4 Slim and a PC so I was wondering which platforms should I play those games I mentioned. I am not a PC Master Race kinda person but I like my games at 60 fps. However I prefer a stable or so 30 fps with frame duping instead of not stable 40 fps without frame duping. I wanted to listen your toughts too. Especially considering RDR2 performance issues people encountered at PC. Are those solved yet?

My PC Rig:
MSI GTX 970 OC Ver.
16 GB DDR4 Ram
Ryzen 7 2700X

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Go with rdr2 is you want slow burn cowboy simulator with one of the best written protagonist in recent memory and just overall a really great experience.

Go with horizon if you want to kill robo dinos I guess
Go with ps4 tho on both

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead 2 I would hold off on because you're not going to have good performance either way. I played it on a Pro and hated it.

Horizon Zero Dawn is the game I'd play now. It's not out for PC yet, so PS4 is your only option.

As for Red Dead 2, I think it depends on your next upgrade. Will you be buying a PS5 or a new GPU? Whichever you choose is the platform you should pick it up on

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
For RDR2, your PC isn't gonna get you 60 fps unless you play on mostly low settings at 1080p, which still looks good by the way. Try it on Steam and refund if you don't like the performance/graphics.

PS4 performance is fine outside of the big city. Check DF analysis for that.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Is rdr2 that bad, performance wise?

No, but it's very demanding and they limited how low you can go with the graphics settings. Even on the lowest settings you still have great volumetrics and higher quality than on consoles.

On PS4, it performs like any other open world game. Runs fine in the wilderness but drops in highly populated areas.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could probably tweak RDR2 to 60 with a little bit of work - but that's not really the best reason to play it on PC. RDR2 has this weightiness to it on controllers that doesn't exist (at least I don't feel it nearly as bad) on KB/M. The game felt like it was fighting with me every step of the way on PS4, but on PC it feels like a dream.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
RDR 2 runs fine on PS4. Yes, it has frame drops here and there, especially in Saint Denis, but nothing too dramatic really. Certainly not "awful".

I saw the game running on a 970 and stable 60 fps isnt really possible, sadly. While the game still looks good on all low, at that point I'd just get the PS4 version.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I have a PS4 Slim and a PC so I was wondering which platforms should I play those games I mentioned. I am not a PC Master Race kinda person but I like my games at 60 fps. However I prefer a stable or so 30 fps with frame duping instead of not stable 40 fps without frame duping. I wanted to listen your toughts too. Especially considering RDR2 performance issues people encountered at PC. Are those solved yet?

My PC Rig:
MSI GTX 970 OC Ver.
16 GB DDR4 Ram
Ryzen 7 2700X

I'd say what will hold you back is your GPU — you would probably have turn stuff down, but still way more powerful than a ps4.

Horizon ZD PC version isn't due for a few months, if you're willing to wait.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
With that card just play both on PS4 honestly, RDR2 is difficult even for my 2070S and 9900k at acceptable framerates at 1440p and half decent settings
HZD I can't even comment on outside of speculation but i'd also say just play that on ps4 or play RDR2 first then see how HZD performs if it's out by the time your'e finished or only have to wait a short while
I originally played RDR2 on ps4 then on PC and the ps4 version I didn't regret at all, played just fine

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
PC. Even if you have to lock RDR2 to 30fps, it'll be a better looking, much more stable 30fps. It's gonna be a superior experience to a PS4 Slim (and probably even a Pro) either way.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Red Dead 2 I would hold off on because you're not going to have good performance either way. I played it on a Pro and hated it.

Horizon Zero Dawn is the game I'd play now. It's not out for PC yet, so PS4 is your only option.

As for Red Dead 2, I think it depends on your next upgrade. Will you be buying a PS5 or a new GPU? Whichever you choose is the platform you should pick it up on
This. I paused my RDR 2 til later this year so I can wrap it up on PS5. HZD on the other hand flies on PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 feels fine on base ps4, in nature settings. But in any town, the framerate feels uneven and slows in parts. To this day it is annoying, unfortunately. I don't think the image is blurry, though.

A decent PC running at 1080p/30fps has got to be better than this.

HZD on PS4 base is totally fine.

OP
OP
Labinlima

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Now I am way more confused lol. Reason why my CPU is more expensive than my GPU is because my old motherboard was burned so I essentially designed a completely new rig except GPU. Didn't bothered to upgrade it since it was doing fine for the time being and since it's quarantine nowadays and everything is expensive af I can't upgrade it anymore lol. I decided to try buying RDR2 for PC to try it if it's going to perform well (if not I will buy it for console) and I decided to wait for HZD PC release since I am sure I would get 1080p 60 fps without huge graphical drawbacks. Mods can lock this thread now.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Hzd is great just play it as soon as possible. RDR probably benefits from nicer graphics on PC so get it there, havent played it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
No clue on HZD.

This is probably the best case scenarion on PC:

Would net you 60fps, but everything would need to be turned down. The 970 is definitely hold you back.

edit: RDR2 is scalable, but still a demanding game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
RDR is a blurry, painful experience on your eyes on PS4, even on pro.

Not "even" on Pro, but especially on Pro. ;) The base PS4 image is a relatively crisp 1080p, the awful checkerboarding solution on PS4 Pro makes the game look really blurry though. Both images compared the base PS4 1080p image honestly looks crisper and conveys more detail.

red-dead-redemption-2-na-ktorej-konsoli-1.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Horizon Zero Dawn is only available on PS4 right? So that settles that pretty easily. As for RDR2, I would recommend PC; you won't be maxing by any stretch, but you can still get better visuals than the PS4 and if you do end up upgrading your PC in the future, you'll be able to enjoy upgraded visuals / performance.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Have horizon zero dawn on ps4 with dlc. Stop playing it because im waiting for the PC version. That game needs 60fps+ gyro aiming, higher resolutions to reach its true potential.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not "even" on Pro, but especially on Pro. ;) The base PS4 image is a relatively crisp 1080p, the awful checkerboarding solution on PS4 Pro makes the game look really blurry though. Both images compared the base PS4 1080p image honestly looks crisper and conveys more detail.

red-dead-redemption-2-na-ktorej-konsoli-1.jpg

Fuck that sucks.

I finished it on One X and after that played, or rather tried to play it on Pro and cried.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
We have no idea how Horizon will perform on PC. It's best to just wait to decide on that one. As far as RDR2 goes... I mean your PC is going to run it better than a base PS4 regardless of whether you hit 60fps, so you may as well get it on PC.

If your PC can't run it well the Xbox One X is the way to go for RDR2.

The OP doesn't have an Xbox.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
No one should be a PC Master Race person since that's a terribly stupid meme that references Nazism.

Jury is out on Horizon as we don't know how good the port will be but as far as RDR2 PC is the way to go.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
If you don't have any immediate plan to upgrade that GPU, get both on consoles. A 970 ain't gonna cut it for RDR2.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Do we already know how Decima performs on PC? Maybe wait until the game is released.
I read bad things about RDR2 optimization when it launched. Did they patch that? 970 GTX might be a bit too less for that to handle.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I have almost the same PC but I didn't touch RDR2 with it. It would probably run nice at 30fps but that's not why I play on PC so I am just waiting to replay the game until I upgrade my PC. I already played the game on my PS4Pro though. So in this case, I would definitely say go PS4. Performance in my experience is good enough (I was playing on 1080p with a Pro) and you see the typical era exaggerations when it comes to console performance. Game is everything but awful or unplayable performance wise.

As for Horizon - I would just wait and see if the system would be able to run it in 60fps without sacrificing much graphical detail (basically look as good as the console version but running at 60fps).

OP
OP
Labinlima

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
RDR2 feels fine on base ps4, in nature settings. But in any town, the framerate feels uneven and slows in parts. To this day it is annoying, unfortunately. I don't think the image is blurry, though.

A decent PC running at 1080p/30fps has got to be better than this.

HZD on PS4 base is totally fine.
Can you lock this thread now? I got my answers. Thanks to everyone who gave their opinions for the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.