• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 10, 2019
giphy.gif

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Read it a second time, what a great piece of work from someone so close to something yet so far away from it mentally. Wish she would pursue a career in games journalism, wish we had voices like this that were more prevalent (but she should keep her distance haha).

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
This got me misty-eyed. What a beautiful piece of writing for a beautiful game.

I can't say I felt too dissimilar from her when playing RDR 2, and that's without having a personal connection to any of the cast. She must be unbelievably proud.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I've never played the game, but that was simply marvelous prose. What a brilliant woman and obviously supportive mother.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I'm js...if a 75 yr old woman who never has touched a game can learn and deal with RDR2's controls and still walk away impressed, ain't none of y'all have any excuses 😌

Joking aside, this was really really wholesome and such a fantastic write up. RDR2 is such a fascinating game overall regardless if you love it or hate it.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Guys we have amazing tools to communicate now our days and exchange at zero cost, we take it for granted. The first shit post I read gets an ignore.
This is a lesson of humanity. Sadly will be forgotten in a few hours.

Nov 14, 2017
Read it a second time, what a great piece of work from someone so close to something yet so far away from it mentally. Wish she would pursue a career in games journalism, wish we had voices like this that were more prevalent (but she should keep her distance haha).
Too toxic for her kind soul.

Beautifully written.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Every time I see Red Dead Redemption 2 abbreviated as RDR2, I always read it as R2D2.

Nov 21, 2019
That was beautiful. I need to remind myself to stop and take in the awe of video games slowly like her instead of always going to the next objective and miss the little nuances.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
This is so amazing. Reading the essay, this woman seems wonderful and I'm absolutely loving this essay. I would have loved watching her work her way through RDR2.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I had a huge smile on my face reading through all of it. So this is what pure, distilled wholesome feels like. So freaking good.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
Wow, what a read.

It reminds you to always stay open minded and try new things. The amount of people I know who are so ignorant to the depth of video games is incredible, yet this lady shows with a little dedication even games like rdr2 can be enjoyed by complete beginners.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Dutch already had a look before mo capture, right? I'm surprised they found a dude that looked exactly like him rofl.

Nov 14, 2017
I'm really worried we won't get to experience something like this anymore now that Dan Houser left the company :(
I just don't believe they will have a situation like RDR2 ever again. It took them 8 years and it's mostly single player, without the sucess of GTA V.

With the monster that GTA Online became, their focus must be on online experiences from now on (with SP components), Dan leaving doesn't bode well at all for me.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Thanks OP that was wonderful. It's nice to be reminded every now and then why we play video games, and this refreshing perspective did just that.

E: Also on the 'technician never played RDR2' train.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Got it at launch and after a few lengthy breaks finally finished the game a week ago.

was incredibly impressed by the story, acting and the beauty of the world.

So nice to see her learn to play games, and a rather complicated one at that to experience her sons work.

was trying not to tear up reading this on the plane. My mother has always been incredibly supportive of my work and keen to watch / hear anything I'd produced, yet it's like pulling teeth to get my father to watch a half hour doc I'd made.

Making an effort like this means the world to your family, and hopefully she turns some of her peers onto gaming.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I liked the RDR games. I love the way people write and talk about them. Just can't stand playing them.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
This is everything. I've often tried to describe that magic of stumbling into a game world, and she does it so effortlessly. To have the courage and perseverance to enter this medium while learning the language of navigating with a controller - that takes a ton of effort. Bravo to her! Dutch's voice actor is a god send - T A H I T I !

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
After months of playing finally the end credits are rolling and I had bookmarked this thread exactly for this moment. What a beautiful read and what a world and characters Rockstar and all of the actors created. I respectfully bow to all of it's creators.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From what I hear there were many points she almost dropped the game, but her son would very lovingly ask her if she couldn't have a little God damn faith.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The thing I love about her essay, is that despite being a 75 year old woman, she opened her mind and her heart to the medium of video games. She gave it a real chance. Were it that everyone could see past preconceptions and open themselves up to something so foreign to them like that. The bit about struggling with the controller especially made me think, of what a challenge it would be to wrap your head around the modern console controller when gaming has never been a part of your life.

This was a great read.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
That's was great. So nice she chose to experience her son's work first hand instead of just watching a bunch of videos. Video-games are not an easy medium to get into but I'm glad she enjoyed it.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really worried we won't get to experience something like this anymore now that Dan Houser left the company :(

I'm sure the other devs that poured their heart and soul into RDR2 are just as passionate as Dan, when it comes to single player story. Even the devs that are in charge of the online aspect adds a bit of story into RDR2 Online.