• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamespot GOTYs are the ones i respect the most. And I cant disagree with this one. RDR2 is a monumental achievement. And I dont say that lightly. I fucking love god of war and while it has better combat, better moment to moment gameplay and level design, what RDR2 is doing is something that isnt exactly quantifible. it shouldnt work. Derrick is right. The gunplay and controls they start you out with are subpar. So why does it work? I think the story and characters are easily the best ever told in this medium. The graphics are the best ever. The open world is probably the best ever despite not having any real ubisoft style missions that fill up the map. It's 99% hunting and some random encounters here and there, but hunting works. It's fun, it's exciting and kinda strategic.

But I think story and graphics can only take a game so far. The game works because of how they integrate story into the game and mission design. Unlike most games that usually just have you shoot things, Rockstar takes the time to switch things up. In so many missions, you are raiding with your entire crew and usually things go south and it organically turns into a different kind of mission. Compare that to GoW which I love, you usually go into an area, kill some things, fight a boss and head back. Thats true for all games really. Uncharted, horizon, Fallout, Skyrim, Destiny. You go somewhere, solve a puzzle or two. kill some mobs. fight a boss fight. and rinse and repeat. Rockstar spent a lot of time making you do different things.

It was nuts to see so much variety in a game that is nearly 60 hours long. I will concede that despite this variety god of war has better overall gameplay, but RDR2's story and characters, especially the protaganist and the prologue are so strong that i dont mind someone picking it over a masterpiece like god of war.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, no. There are more sites that aren't up yet in RDR2s favor. What "reputable" (your own words) sites aren't up yet for GoW?

Who are you to call a site unreputable for an individual listing his or hers opinions? Such a childish way of thinking.

I find it hard to believe you are retorting to that guy by insinuating he is a fanboy when you are known to be one of the biggest Sony evangelists on this website. Pot kettle black, etc.

Grow up, dude.
One of the biggest Rockstar fanboys I've seen calls me a fanboy and I need to grow up? Go check yourself.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Meh, I really disliked RDR2. The controls and strict decisions in the way the story missions are done really put me off. Pretty game and liked riding around outside of the story but I put GOW as my GOTY. As a soon to be dad it really hit home.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
One of the biggest Rockstar fanboys I've seen calls me a fanboy and I need to grow up? Go check yourself.

Go check myself? You were just quoted and called out on like a dozen times from multiple people back to back but you single that out? I wonder why.

Looking at both of your post histories, it's hilariously lopsided, so I am not sure where you're going with that. You have no right to call him or anyone a fanboy when you are the epitome of one. You have no right to declare websites, outlets and people as "unreputable" just because they have different opinions than yourself.

Yes, you need to grow up.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go check myself? You were just quoted and called out on like a dozen times back to back but you single that out? I wonder why.

Looking at both of your post histories, it's hilariously lopsided, so I am not sure where you're going with that. You have no right to call him or anyone a fanboy when you are the epitome of one. Yes, you need to grow up. You have no right to declare websites, outlets and people as "unreputable" just because they have different opinions than yourself.
I'll call anyone that puts a piece of trash like Fallout 76 above great games like Forza Horizon 4 and many more whatever I feel like. Most people wouldn't pay that site any attention if they looked at that list and that's a fact. If some site wants to give RDR2 their GOTY more power to them. But don't sit there and act like I'm a fanboy b/c I get annoyed by people in this thread who act like RDR2 is the "trendy pick", and yes that is something someone actually said in this thread, and just ignore what God of War is doing.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'll call anyone that puts a piece of trash like Fallout 76 above great games like Forza Horizon 4 and many more whatever I feel like. Most people wouldn't pay that site any attention if they looked at that list and that's a fact. If some site wants to give RDR2 their GOTY more power to them. But don't sit there and act like I'm a fanboy b/c I get annoyed by people in this thread who act like RDR2 is the "trendy pick", and yes that is something someone actually said in this thread, and just ignore what God of War is doing.
Bro, why do you care what websites give their GOTY to? It doesn't matter in the end, now does it?

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bro, why do you care what websites give their GOTY to? It doesn't matter in the end, now does it?
Did you not even read what I said? I said I could care less if a site gives GOTY to RDR2, Florence, God of War etc. It's their pick. Now if they want to put utter trash like Fallout 76 anywhere near a top 20 of the year I have thoughts on that.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
Gamespot GOTYs are the ones i respect the most. And I cant disagree with this one. RDR2 is a monumental achievement. And I dont say that lightly. I fucking love god of war and while it has better combat, better moment to moment gameplay and level design, what RDR2 is doing is something that isnt exactly quantifible. it shouldnt work. Derrick is right. The gunplay and controls they start you out with are subpar. So why does it work? I think the story and characters are easily the best ever told in this medium. The graphics are the best ever. The open world is probably the best ever despite not having any real ubisoft style missions that fill up the map. It's 99% hunting and some random encounters here and there, but hunting works. It's fun, it's exciting and kinda strategic.

But I think story and graphics can only take a game so far. The game works because of how they integrate story into the game and mission design. Unlike most games that usually just have you shoot things, Rockstar takes the time to switch things up. In so many missions, you are raiding with your entire crew and usually things go south and it organically turns into a different kind of mission. Compare that to GoW which I love, you usually go into an area, kill some things, fight a boss and head back. Thats true for all games really. Uncharted, horizon, Fallout, Skyrim, Destiny. You go somewhere, solve a puzzle or two. kill some mobs. fight a boss fight. and rinse and repeat. Rockstar spent a lot of time making you do different things.

It was nuts to see so much variety in a game that is nearly 60 hours long. I will concede that despite this variety god of war has better overall gameplay, but RDR2's story and characters, especially the protaganist and the prologue are so strong that i dont mind someone picking it over a masterpiece like god of war.
THIS!!!!!..And so very well said. Especially the last part.

Like a poster above said: 1a. 1b., both great!!!

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Did you not even read what I said? I said I could care less if a site gives GOTY to RDR2, Florence, God of War etc. It's their pick. Now if they want to put utter trash like Fallout 76 anywhere near a top 20 of the year I have thoughts on that.
When you come in to a GOTY thread and say stuff like "gotta love the RDR fans not respecting GoW..." then you truly couldn't care more. Just stahp.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But why it's their choice??? I dont get how you dont see it
Yeah it is their choice to put garbage like that up there. And I'll call them stupid for it and say they know nothing about video games. Pretty sure most other people would agree FO76 should be nowhere near a top 20 list of 2018. Too many actual finished, good games out there.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you come in to a GOTY thread and say stuff like "gotta love the RDR fans not respecting GoW..." then you truly couldn't care more. Just stahp.
Two different things. That's not me caring about a site giving RDR2 the award. That's me caring about a group of people acting like one game is so superior to the other.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
Yeah it is their choice to put garbage like that up there. And I'll call them stupid for it and say they know nothing about video games. Pretty sure most other people would agree FO76 should be nowhere near a top 20 list of 2018. Too many actual finished, good games out there.
My mans....who really hurt you tho?
I fold because someone wiser isn't throwing in the towel or stopping the fight. This went waaaaay left.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Id put GoW over RDR2 unless RDR has a great ending (when I eventually get there)
that said, this mercenary guy sure acting like a mercenary

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take a step back man. Look at what you're saying in this thread right now.

What would your loved ones think?
Let me set something else straight about you Lewis. Anytime I go into a thread about something negative regarding RDR2 it's a sure bet that I'll see at least one post from you complaining about someone being negative about the game. Just like your snide remark in that RDR2 thread about that guy who made that video about the issue with the controls.

The difference between you and me is that you don't find me in threads about negative things regarding God of War. I don't sit there and go around every chance I get trying to defend the game to someone who doesn't like it. I've seen many threads here about someone not enjoying the game and you know what? That is perfectly fine. I have nothing to say to that person. If they don't like the game, they don't like the game simple as that. So yeah probably not as big a fanboy as you claim. Real fanboys go to all lengths to defend something they love.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

The funniest part is how you are oblivious to the fact that anyone here can see through your facade. Bonus points for attacking people/sites that might've enjoyed Fallout and extra bonus points for name dropping Forza Horizon 4 as if we don't know any better.

Suck it God of War haters!!!

Lot of salty RDR2 fanboys right now and I love it. God of War will win a lot more through the season. Love Cory so much and he deserves this. Class act that guy is.

I'm just saying that God of War has been leading and has won GOTY from more reputable places than RDR2 has. Gamespot is the first big outlet to give it to RDR2. I'm sure there will be others. We all know Edge is giving it to RDR2 based on the review scores for both games.

Can easily post a dozen more. Again, grow up.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Continued Hostility to fellow members throughout a thread
The funniest part is how you are oblivious to the fact that anyone here can see through your facade. Bonus points for attacking people/sites that might've enjoyed Fallout and extra bonus points for name dropping Forza Horizon 4 as if we don't know any better.
You clearly know nothing about me Regret. You're the usual forum dweller who basis their opinion about someone on nothing. Fallout is utter trash and a cash grab simple as that. I've actually played a lot of Forza Horizon 4 and enjoy it a lot. Been putting tons of hours into Smash Bros. too. You're the moron who seems to think b/c someone likes God of War they must be a PlayStation fanboy. How sad your life must be to be that ignorant.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Let me set something else straight about you Lewis. Anytime I go into a thread about something negative regarding RDR2 it's a sure bet that I'll see at least one post from you complaining about someone being negative about the game. Just like your snide remark in that RDR2 thread about that guy who made that video about the issue with the controls.

The difference between you and me is that you don't find me in threads about negative things regarding God of War. I don't sit there and go around every chance I get trying to defend the game to someone who doesn't like it. I've seen many threads here about someone not enjoying the game and you know what? That is perfectly fine. I have nothing to say to that person. If they don't like the game, they don't like the game simple as that. So yeah probably not as big a fanboy as you claim. Real fanboys go to all lengths to defend something they love.
I don't defend the game from people's criticism tho lol

Me pointing out that people's opinions are not fact is not defending criticism

I've openly said and agreed the game has issues

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
What's your favorite game of the year bro? You vote yet?
No, I barely played much this year besides fighting games. So Dbfz, even tho I'll admit cross tag battle has more depth to it, wasn't too enthused by what I played of soul cal 6. If it counts Unist is probably the coolest game I played from "this year", since it's an update of under nite. Otherwise definitely fighterz.

Will eventually try monster hunter world n Celeste tho, n dad of hoe.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
This thread is certainly going to places...

I don't get why people have to hate on RDR2 when it wins a Goty award. Those people are going to be really angry when it wins a few dozens awards more.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
I hope no other big site gives GOTY to RDR2 or this Mercenary dude will have a seizure based on the posts made by him in the last few pages.

My god dude, meditate you reaction.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is certainly going to places...

I don't get why people have to hate on RDR2 when it wins a Goty award. Those people are going to be really angry when it wins a few dozens awards more.

Because it is another shitty overbloated game that will now be critically acclaimed and massively successful.

Obviously the anger didn't work with dragon age inquisition because here we are again. So I think everyone is trying even harder this time.

Which is kind of admirable. Never give up.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope no other big site gives GOTY to RDR2 or this Mercenary dude will have a seizure based on the posts made by him in the last few pages.

My god dude, meditate you reaction.
And yet another guy who doesn't realize I have no issue with the award. Just like I haven't had an issue with the 20 something other awards it won or the 50+ others that it will likely win. It's actually quite amusing reading how mad you people think I am. Got a good laugh tonight.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't defend the game from people's criticism tho lol

Me pointing out that people's opinions are not fact is not defending criticism

I've openly said and agreed the game has issues
Uh huh sure Lewis. Your comment clearly showed you were annoyed that yet another person was posting a thread about the issue with the controls in that game. Deny it all you want. I mean it's not like someone can look at your post history after all.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Huh... interesting thread.

RDR2 is my personal GOTY as its strongest qualities just resonate more with my personal tastes. Everything just comes together so well to make it the best open-world game I've ever played. This game is the very definition of "more than the sum of its parts", and like somebody said earlier it's kind of a hard thing to quantify.
It's when you start dissecting each part that the flaws become easy to pinpoint, though. Needlessly strict mission design, broken bounty mechanic, issues with writing/characterization that directly impact both endings, and almost an entire chapter that completely misses the point of what the game is about.

There's definitely room for criticism and improvement here, and I hope Rockstar takes note.

I get why GoW is getting so many GOTYs. Personal taste aside, it's just a much more consistent game. I have a couple of minor issues with it, but they're nowhere near as bad as RDR2.

RDR2 has higher highs and much, much lower lows than GoW, but they're both great games in their own genres.