• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I love my Kishi. I use my old phone (oneplus 6) with it basically all the time - I only use that phone for game streaming and for some app development/testing.

One downside of the OP6 is that it can't charge using the passthrough port, because of the way OTG works on that phone. It works on my other phone but not this one. Kind of disappointing.

Anyway, I stream with Moonlight, the Xbox app, and PSPlay for PS5 streaming. Plus Stadia sometimes. It's really nice, and frankly a better experience than the switch in most situations.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I use this clip with a Dualshock 4 to stream my PS5 to my Galaxy S9:

McEEDmS.png

Works great with DQXI, at least, but I admittedly haven't tried it with many other games yet.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I've spent a fair whack of time playing Stardew Valley with my son the last couple of days. I'm on XSX and he's sitting beside me with Kishi remoting to XSS in his room.

It's been absolutely flawless and a total game changer being able to sit in same room but have our own screen.

Of course if the switch and Xbox cross played Stardew Valley that would also be an option.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
So there is a real nice sale right now at Walmart in-store right now. $79 for the Kishi + Hammerhead earbuds.

Secret Walmart Promo Codes: Save 60% Off With July Promo Codes | 2021 Deals & Discounts

Use this valid 65% off Walmart promo code now. See all 25 Walmart promo codes, coupons, discounts & free delivery codes for Jul 2021.

Picked one up just now because of you guys. Removed the rubber and works beautifully with my phone with a case.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Kishi, but why do the triggers feel so cheap? Really weird. The rest of the controller feels pretty good quality overall.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Anyone having Input Issues?

Mine was fine until it decided an hour ago that every button on the left side either doesn't work...or moves me right.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, thats already been accounted for with the Kishi. So you wont need to worry about the Case Issue.

The Kishi is designed so you can remove the internal rubber grips that are used to hold your device in place. Once removed then your case just becomes the rubber grips holding it in place. I used mine with an Otterbox with no issues.

www.xda-developers.com

Razer Kishi mod lets you fit larger Android phones or a phone in a case

The new telescopic gaming controller Razer Kishi won't fit some larger Android phones or phones in cases, but some users found a way around this problem.
Holy shit it works with my phone case now and less of a pain to put on. Changed the fucking game

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Hang on, how does this work? I always thought it uses your internet connection even at home.
Remote play works through your local network if you're on it. It doesn't make any internet requests outside of your subnet unless needed. That's certainly the case with playstation, I've never tried with Xbox in that regard. I used to play remote play on my PS4 all the time on a router that wasn't connected to the net.

A.M.R

May 17, 2020
Probably the closest to the feeling of having a next gen portable

zgSX4La.jpg

Yeah, the screen quality is important for me. The LCD screen in my orginal switch is so washed out & sucks compared to my midrange phone from 2015..

If Switch-Pro doesn't improve on the screen quality, I'll get a Kishi instead & upgrade my phone. :D

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
OK here's a bit of a weird question. I really want to play XCOM Chimera Squad on the Kishi (at home). I own a Samsung S10 and a Macbook Pro(or a Surface Book 3).

Is this possible and how would I go about it?

OP
OP
jorgejjvr

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The controller. I'd plug it in, and both controllers would never register with my phone. iirc, it would light up but not do anything else. Dunno if there's something faulty with the port on my phone or something, but bluetooth controllers work fine. Got on support chat, and they just told me to send it back and asked if I wanted a new one, but I think it's unlikely I just got stuck with two duds, so I just got a refund and may try it again later.
Probably the closest to the feeling of having a next gen portable

zgSX4La.jpg

Streaming my PC to my iphone at near perfect quality, 3440x1440 UW. Local only though, my awful upload speeds won't allow such quality over the internet :(
How do you get your pc to stream to your phone like that?

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand this thread's premise. Bringing up portability without realizing that the Kishi set-up isn't even that portable when you have to separate the piece and then attach when you're on the go. It's way less convenient than having a Switch in a case.

OP
OP
jorgejjvr

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand this thread's premise. Bringing up portability without realizing that the Kishi set-up isn't even that portable when you have to separate the piece and then attach when you're on the go. It's way less convenient than having a Switch in a case.
I completely disagree tho, the kishi fits in my pocket, switch does not

I have a much easier time carrying my kishi than my switch

I don't see how a case I have to carry in my hands, or have in a bag, is more convenient

I don't understand this post's premise lol

undefined

Jan 3, 2021
Sounds promising for multiplat games that won't come to the Switch
Maybe when I get a properly compatible phone I'll pick the Kishi too
Btw can I put the phone in sleep mode and resume later or would you have to restart the game?

Oct 26, 2017
I completely disagree tho, the kishi fits in my pocket, switch does not

I have a much easier time carrying my kishi than my switch

I don't see how a case I have to carry in my hands, or have in a bag, is more convenient

I don't understand this post's premise lol

I'm not sure what pockets you have that fits the Kishi alone. Each of the Kishi controller component is slightly bigger than a single joycon. And even if you condense them, it's roughly the size of half of the switch. The only reasonable time I see it being pocketable is if it's in a coat jacket pocket. Otherwise, a bag is an imperative for the Kishi.

OP
OP
jorgejjvr

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure what pockets you have that fits the Kishi alone. Each of the Kishi controller component is slightly bigger than a single joycon. And even if you condense them, it's roughly the size of half of the switch. The only reasonable time I see it being pocketable is if it's in a coat jacket pocket. Otherwise, a bag is an imperative for the Kishi.
Idk, it's smaller than you think

I have regular sized pockets, I might just post a pic of my pants and it in my pockets 😂

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
If only we didn't live in a world where streaming wasn't viable.

Been abusing my homebrewed for this feature about a little more than a year and I didn't need to get a kishi.

I don't play fighters on switch so no genre really suffers.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
How do you get your pc to stream to your phone like that?
Using Moonlight. I have a 3440x1440 monitor already connected to my PC so the resolution is readily available for me. I just stream at 4k60 using the highest bitrates my 5ghz wireless network can support without hiccups (PC is hardwired) and for games that support 21:9, just select 3440x1440 if they aren't already set to use that resolution on launch. Looks really good on my iphone 12 pro max's 19.5:9 screen with minimal black bars (just a tiny bit at the top and bottom).

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
1. Do you have a case on your phone?
2. Does PS5 Remote Play work with the Kishi?
3. Have you tried Steam Link with it?

I have a Galaxy S20 FE and I've been eyeing getting a Kishi for the last month or two.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
If I have to carry a dedicated carry case or bag just to have it on me, it ain't a successful portable system.
You'd be amazed at what fits in the pockets of men's jeans. It's not the most comfortable thing, but if I don't want to bring my case it's manageable.
Is there a portable system, save for your phone, where you didn't have to do this? I can't imagine not carrying around my laptop or even previous handhelds in something that wasn't a bag or a case
Have you ever held a GBA SP? The thing's begging to live in a pocket.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I've spent a fair whack of time playing Stardew Valley with my son the last couple of days. I'm on XSX and he's sitting beside me with Kishi remoting to XSS in his room.

It's been absolutely flawless and a total game changer being able to sit in same room but have our own screen.

Of course if the switch and Xbox cross played Stardew Valley that would also be an option.

Just got the kishi, and intend to do the exact same thing! Except taking it upstairs to do in bed gaming... Or let folks use the TV while I game next to them. Never could get behind the clip approach and hated pairing my controller.... This has me so excited.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info! Seems like there are many great options, and with more streaming options becoming more well known, I expect more of these accessories.

As for the large screen. Honestly, I'd never go back to a smaller phone screen given just how much usage you get from a larger screen. With slim bezels, the 6.8" of the Note 10+ feels near perfect for me.

EDIT: After checking out the website, it seems like that Backbone controller only supports Lightning given it's more of an iPhone accessory. :/
The Kishi works seamlessly with remote play on iphone as well. It's the remote play app on Android that doesn't support any third party controllers, the problem persists regardless of which device you use.
I really want to get a Backbone, but I don't have an iPhone. I wish they would release am Android version. I've been debating getting an iPhone just for the Backbone lol, but for now I think Kishi is Android's best option.

Ah! Sorry for the confusion! I somehow didn't realize that 😫 Thank you for letting me know!

Kishi is definitely really good too, it was between that and Backbone for me on iPhone. It's a great time for remote play on either platform!

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I ended up buying a much cheaper device to make a decent retro handheld with my old phone (a OnePlus 6T). I literally just got it in the mail 5 minutes ago so I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but if I end up liking the idea of it, I might use some of that sweet, sweet stimulus money to pick up a Kishi instead.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I've been using my Kishi on my note 20 ultra more than my Switch lately as well. I mean hell, I can play all my stuff on PC(gamepass, Epic, Steam etc), Xbox One X, PS4, GameCube+Wii via DolphinAndroid and retro arch for other systems. Not to mention Android games themselves.
Something you might want to watch out for. Make sure you dont upgrade to Android 11. There is an issue which stops Gamepads like the Kishi from working. Several owners of S20's (amung other phones too) are reporting it.

www.resetera.com

PSA: Dont upgrade to Android 11 if you use Game Streaming (Or Gamepads) on your device

What is the issue with Gamepads in Android 11? So it turns out that in Android 11 there is a critical bug that prevents Game Pads from working in a good portion of apps/games. Upon updating your gamepad will basically either stop working, or begin to only selectively work in games. Issues range...

I loved my Kishi while it worked. But ever since I updated it's basically a brick since Android doesn't recognize it in some apps (Game Pass included, unfortunately).
I thought that happened to me on my note 20 ultra, but it turns out it was the buttonmapper app I had making the controls a virtual controller messing stuff up on Android 11 whereas it was fine on Android 10. Had to go to accessibility settings and disable controllermapper (or uninstall it). My Kishi works perfectly with the bonus of the home button not going to Android home anymore so it can be used within apps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jorgejjvr

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
1. Do you have a case on your phone?
2. Does PS5 Remote Play work with the Kishi?
3. Have you tried Steam Link with it?

I have a Galaxy S20 FE and I've been eyeing getting a Kishi for the last month or two.
1. Yes. It works with the case IF you remove the rubbers from the kishi. It's easy, you can put it in and out any time
2. You have to use the $5 Psplay to use the kishi, much better than the official remote play app
3. Haven't tried steam link, I mean to, I just learned about it yesterday lol

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Oh interesting, can you speak on this?
You only need to be connected to the internet to pair your remote play app with your console (it requires a PSN login). Once paired, you can use it on a local network without internet, certainly with the PS Play app (I'm not sure about the official app). I used to take it to my cabin which didn't have internet access all the time and worked without a hitch.

UnrulyUmbreon

Apr 2, 2018
For anyone in the US, Walmart had a holiday bundle of the Kishi (Android or iPhone) and a pair of wireless earbuds for $80. Worth checking stock locally.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I use my Kishi with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Remote Play on Series X and PS5. Works fantastically.

Has me completely reconsidering my interest in a Switch Pro.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
1. Yes. It works with the case IF you remove the rubbers from the kishi. It's easy, you can put it in and out any time
2. You have to use the $5 Psplay to use the kishi, much better than the official remote play app
3. Haven't tried steam link, I mean to, I just learned about it yesterday lol
I've found Moonlight and Parsec to be the best PC streamers. Steam Link is nice, but it comes at a fault where you can only play the games if you add them to Steam whereas with those you can play every single game if you stream the desktop(pc sees it as a 360 controller). With moonlight you can even play games in ultra wide and in 120hz on the phone.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through this thread made me want to get one of these controllers, so I just ordered a Backbone for my 12 Pro Max!

Backbone sounds really impressive in regards to the features it offers. Having a capture button was probably the biggest thing that impressed me, lol.

I don't normally play mobile games but I'll definitely try some remote play and PC streaming.

Appreciate the info, everyone!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The Kishi was touchy enough w/ my Pixel 2 (in terms of physical disconnects) that I decided to refund it. Otherwise it felt pretty good, but the buttons were several steps down from the feel of the Xbox or Switch controllers, and the d-pad was pretty bad.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The Kishi was touchy enough w/ my Pixel 2 (in terms of physical disconnects) that I decided to refund it. Otherwise it felt pretty good, but the buttons were several steps down from the feel of the Xbox or Switch controllers, and the d-pad was pretty bad.
Yeah, the dpad is a bit disappointing, but honestly it's the best 3rd party one I've used. Main thing I have problems with is accidentally pressing left or right when pressing down which can be annoying depending on the game. Also for some reason my Y button doesn't have that click in feeling like the other buttons do, more like a half button press. But in the end it doesn't affect me much at all.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
If you really want to get into it, it's possible to dual boot Android on Switch and stream games to it. There are native homebrew ports of Moonlight and Chiaki (PS4 remote play), but the Moonlight port is not as mature as the Android version.

Excuse the poor quality photos.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
If you really want to get into it, it's possible to dual boot Android on Switch and stream games to it. There are native homebrew ports of Moonlight and Chiaki (PS4 remote play), but the Moonlight port is not as mature as the Android version.

Excuse the poor quality photos.
This
Aside from obviously no cellular connectivity, a Switch/Switch Lite (soon) running Android is enough for everything handheld imo

Plum

May 31, 2018
I honestly don't get where everyone gets these amazing connections that can replace Switches with Cloud Gaming. For me both on Wi-Fi and 4G cloud gaming via everything I've tried just feels awful no matter what; it's nothing more than a neat novelty that I try now-and-again before releasing "I'd never want to actually play these games like this."

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I also in-home streaming a lot on my phone lately.

It's literally next gen portable, 1080p 60fps at high settings or more depending on your PC/PS5/XBX for all games, portable.

Switch's portability (to me at least) means being able to play anywhere in the house, easily. Not taking the Switch out and play in in public.

At least that's how most people I know uses the Switch.
Yup, that's why in-home streaming can easily replace Switch.

OP
OP
jorgejjvr

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've found Moonlight and Parsec to be the best PC streamers. Steam Link is nice, but it comes at a fault where you can only play the games if you add them to Steam whereas with those you can play every single game if you stream the desktop(pc sees it as a 360 controller). With moonlight you can even play games in ultra wide and in 120hz on the phone.
Wow that's awesome, gonna have to try that

Are these apps to add on my pc and my phone?

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have trouble getting one at their walmart? Mine the guy even said they have 7 in stock but there's no in-store location so he didn't bother looking for it.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, I've been using my Kishi on my note 20 ultra more than my Switch lately as well. I mean hell, I can play all my stuff on PC(gamepass, Epic, Steam etc), Xbox One X, PS4, GameCube+Wii via DolphinAndroid and retro arch for other systems. Not to mention Android games themselves.

I thought that happened to me on my note 20 ultra, but it turns out it was the buttonmapper app I had making the controls a virtual controller messing stuff up on Android 11 whereas it was fine on Android 10. Had to go to accessibility settings and disable controllermapper (or uninstall it). My Kishi works perfectly with the bonus of the home button not going to Android home anymore so it can be used within apps.

Thanks for this tip. I had an old button mapper app I had installed for my S8 to remap the Bigsby button, and since I did a straight transfer to my S20 from backup the settings had transferred over. So I figured I'd go double check this.

I just went to go check up on my Accessibility settings and I saw I had everything already disabled (Other than LastPass which I need enabled). Though the button mappers were showing up on the list as disabled. I figured I'd try re-enabling them, restarting the phone, then disabling them again, then restarting again... And upon doing so my Kishi started working again!

So great news is I can now play games again. On the downside though this basically confirms that Google royally fucked up something to with their accessibility settings because I had to hard cycle them before it started working again.

I hope you don't mind if I quote you inside of my PSA thread, since this helped me solved my issue and I want to make sure it's recorded as a potential solution.

Thanks!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I use the PS5 remote play to do some small tasks on my PS5 games, but in general I find it a really poor way to experience most titles. The input latency is undeniable even in ideal network conditions, the UI for many games do not scale down well to mobile and many console experiences just don't feel like they transition well to the small screen portable experience. Playing something like The Last of Us Part 2 on your phone doesn't have a lot of appeal to me, so with all of that considered, it's very limited.

Portable games work better on Switch because they're designed with consideration of the context in which people play - Switch games tend to more often be more 'pick up and play', as if they're designed with playing on the go in mind. Less 'big cinematic experience', more 'play this level for 10 minutes'. The UI and controls are designed for the small screen, and there's no additional latency.

So on the whole, I'd say the switch is a better experience with obvious value, but I think the remote play is a nice complimentary option if you already play on those platforms. I recently logged in via my phone to check on my pets on Conan Exiles on PS5.