• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I upgraded from the G502 to the Deathadder V2 since Logitech is keen on using the crappy Chinese Omron switches which have the double-clicking issue, and immediately you can tell the clicking is not as crisp. It's not that it's mushy, it's just that it has some pre-travel, which makes it feel like it needs more work to click.

I'm looking at the Viper Mini since the Deathadder V2 is very large, but I could get the Basilisk too with that G502 design.

Do the Viper/Basilisk have more crispy feeling clicks with less pre-travel, for those who know about this?

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Viper Ultimate, and honestly, the buttons are awful. In my experience they start off very tight and crisp, but they go downhill extremely fast and after a few months they loosen and start to rub against the plastic inside (which feels awful and makes a creaking sound) . I'm on my fourth mouse, and this is the first replacement I've had direct from Razer, so maybe I just got multiple models from bad batch, but I guess we'll see. It's a shame as it's such a perfect mouse in every other regard (which Is why I've been getting replacements instead of a refund), but it makes it hard to recommend.

I'm not sure how different the design of the Viper Mini is though. It might be different as it's a newer model.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't recommend the razor deathadder. It's the mouse I'm currently using and honestly the issues I had within the first year are inacceptable. I got it cause the shape felt good in my hand and I'm still using it cause well it was somewhat on the pricier side but the issue that really kills me that very regularly single clicks register as double clicks which is extremely annoying depending on what you do(polygon lasso in photoshop is unusable with it I switch to my tablet stylus for that). I've tried various fixes but none work permanently. Outside of that though the way the mouse feels is nice.

Maybe I got unlucky but for the price I think such issues are unacceptable. My previous mouse was a logitech mx518 which I was very happy with and it served me well for like 6-7 years which is more than acceptable.

OP
OP
etta

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the Viper Ultimate, and honestly, the buttons are awful. In my experience they start off very tight and crisp, but they go downhill extremely fast and after a few months they loosen and start to rub against the plastic inside (which feels awful and makes a creaking sound) . I'm on my fourth mouse, and this is the first replacement I've had direct from Razer, so maybe I just got multiple models from bad batch, but I guess we'll see. It's a shame as it's such a perfect mouse in every other regard (which Is why I've been getting replacements instead of a refund), but it makes it hard to recommend.

I'm not sure how different the design of the Viper Mini is though. It might be different as it's a newer model.
Damn, really? It looks like it's the highest rated mouse of 2020, hmmmm.

I wouldn't recommend the razor deathadder. It's the mouse I'm currently using and honestly the issues I had within the first year are inacceptable. I got it cause the shape felt good in my hand and I'm still using it cause well it was somewhat on the pricier side but the issue that really kills me that very regularly single clicks register as double clicks which is extremely annoying depending on what you do(polygon lasso in photoshop is unusable with it I switch to my tablet stylus for that). I've tried various fixes but none work permanently. Outside of that though the way the mouse feels is nice.

Maybe I got unlucky but for the price I think such issues are unacceptable. My previous mouse was a logitech mx518 which I was very happy with and it served me well for like 6-7 years which is more than acceptable.
I'm already on the Deathadder V2, it's alright aside from the travel of the clicks, it just doesn't feel crisp like the G502 did. Such a shame Logitech switched to the cheap Omron switches. It's why I went Razer, for the optical switches that technically can't register double clicks, in theory. I certainly haven't had any double clicks in the one month I've had it, whereas the G Pro had double clicking within 20 days.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, really? It looks like it's the highest rated mouse of 2020, hmmmm.

Like I say, it's so perfect in every other regard, and I freely admit that I could have been unlucky. I guess my recommendation is that you buy it from somewhere that has a good returns policy! Though I guess that's good advice for buying mice in general, as they seem to be the most unreliable of all peripherals, no matter which brand you choose!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
On the double click issue, it seems with the Razer Deathadder v2, they try to address this by using a completey different non-mechanical mechanism to detect clicks.

Of course, it's kinda hard to get reviews on this, as each single review unit will only provide you a small data point. Would need to wait years to see how this v2 version ages.
But thanks for this thread, didn't know there's a new version of the Deathadder out. Thinking on upgrading mine

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The 50M omron switches are prone to double clicking... eventually. Not right off the bat. Sure it happens, but I have a half dozen Logitech mice sitting in a drawer that never had double clicking issues. Including a G502 and G Pro Wireless. It's not as common as the internet says it is.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I have had the viper ultimate for over 6 months now and I have yet to experience any of those issues with it. the click is still sharp and crisp, maybe you are a bit more heavy handed than me. If I would pick any other mouse at this point, it would be the Logitech G Pro Wireless.

Oct 27, 2017
I have had the viper ultimate for over 6 months now and I have yet to experience any of those issues with it. the click is still sharp and crisp, maybe you are a bit more heavy handed than me. If I would pick any other mouse at this point, it would be the Logitech G Pro Wireless.

I'm actually super-super gentle with my stuff -- especially a £130 mouse! I did notice that it varied depending on where on the mouse button I pushed, and whether I pushed down at an angle or not (on the left mouse button, the right side of the plastic guiding 'stalk' was rubbing, so pushing it down and to the left 'fixed' it, and pushing down and to the right made it worse to the point where the button would actually stick). I've never had any similar problems with any other mouse I've owned, so I don't think I have a weird technique or anything!

That you've had it for 6 months without a problem gives me hope I just got mice from a bad batch though.

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
My Viper ultimate both mouse buttons are squeaky. It was ok first 4-5 months.

Compared to my old Logitech G9 which lasted for many years.

Last edited:

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually super-super gentle with my stuff -- especially a £130 mouse! I did notice that it varied depending on where on the mouse button I pushed, and whether I pushed down at an angle or not (on the left mouse button, the right side of the plastic guiding 'stalk' was rubbing, so pushing it down and to the left 'fixed' it, and pushing down and to the right made it worse to the point where the button would actually stick). I've never had any similar problems with any other mouse I've owned, so I don't think I have a weird technique or anything!

That you've had it for 6 months without a problem gives me hope I just got mice from a bad batch though.
well you mentioned you already had it replaced 3 to 4 times? at this point I would advice going with the Logitech I mentioned. Its honestly one of the best mice out there, I only bought the Viper Ultimate because I could get it for 40 bucks cheaper :))

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying my Viper Mini, but there is definitely a softer click to it compared to the mice I've had before with Omrons or Kailh Reds.

Now I kind of want to buy another Roccat or wait for the Coolermaster Respawn.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
the microswitch that uses on these mice, from Logitech to Razer, can be bought extremely cheap on either amazon or Ebay, I myself have repaired like 3 different mice that have the double click problem. It is a pain in the ass though. My current setup is G703, G502, Viper Ultimate /w dock and a Viper mini. Used to have a G305 but it too small. And I would highly recommend the Viper ultimate, It is much lighter than the other and the dock is pretty nifty too.

Also on the softer click, I think my Viper Ultimate has a clearer click sound than the rest of my mouse.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Basilisk x Hyperspeed and the clicks are super crispy and I don't feel much, if any, travel before the click initiates. Before this mouse I had a G900 and G604.

Honestly for the price, I can't think of a wireless mouse package better than the Basilisk x Hyperspeed. If you're worried about the wireless performance, Razer's Hyperspeed tech has matched if not slightly edged out Logitech's Lightspeed. It's really damn good

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
If you think Logitech has double click issues you are in for a surprise with razer mouses. I have 6 razer mouses with double click problems.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've had the normal Viper for a couple months now, no complaints so far. It's still just as clicky as when I bought it.

I actually bought the Deathadder V2 first, didn't like it nearly as much as the Viper.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly pertinent but I have a deathadder chroma and a g402. Prefer the g402. They are like $20-30 so I figure if it breaks I'll just buy another one.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
The lift off distance issue only effects the viper mini, not the normal viper or ultimate. The mini uses a cheaper sensor.
Thanks for letting me know, keeping my eye on the normal Razer Viper wired one for awhile, see if any issues prop up for this one, i remember people saying the Mini versions bottom gliding feet underneath is better than the Viper original.

Would be nice alongside my Razer Huntsman Mini

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I have a Basilisk x Hyperspeed and the clicks are super crispy and I don't feel much, if any, travel before the click initiates. Before this mouse I had a G900 and G604.

Honestly for the price, I can't think of a wireless mouse package better than the Basilisk x Hyperspeed. If you're worried about the wireless performance, Razer's Hyperspeed tech has matched if not slightly edged out Logitech's Lightspeed. It's really damn good
I have the same mouse and really love it. I took a while choosing and it was hard going, balancing likely build quality against ridiculous prices. I feel like for the price, I've done about as well as you can.

Still need a wireless keyboard that gives me the same feeling.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have the same mouse and really love it. I took a while choosing and it was hard going, balancing likely build quality against ridiculous prices. I feel like for the price, I've done about as well as you can.

Still need a wireless keyboard that gives me the same feeling.

If you want to take the mouse a step further, get some AAA lithium Energizer batteries with either foil to fill the gap between the battery and the back housing, or a AAA to AA battery adapter to improve the weight/balance of the mouse. It seems ridiculous at first but it really makes a difference.

As for keyboard, I'm totally fine keeping that wired.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
The 50M omron switches are prone to double clicking... eventually. Not right off the bat. Sure it happens, but I have a half dozen Logitech mice sitting in a drawer that never had double clicking issues. Including a G502 and G Pro Wireless. It's not as common as the internet says it is.
In the last two years I've used four Logitech mice. All of them developed the double-clicking issue.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
If you want to take the mouse a step further, get some AAA lithium Energizer batteries with either foil to fill the gap between the battery and the back housing, or a AAA to AA battery adapter to improve the weight/balance of the mouse. It seems ridiculous at first but it really makes a difference.

As for keyboard, I'm totally fine keeping that wired.
Really!

I hear some people with particular needs sometimes do things like adding weights to their mice to get the right feel. I'm not so hardcore but I'll keep that advice in mind!

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
My G502 just got double click after eight month of use, and I'm not even playing FPS anymore with this thing.
I'm super tired of Logitech and their trash click mechanism... the issue is that form what I've see is the only one with a lot of buttons easy to reach with fingertip grip.
My brother have the Glorious Model O and I can barely use the lower button on the side, what do you suggest similar to G502 without trash clicks?

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
If you are considering a Viper, you should give the Glorious Model O a look. It's a very similar shape to the Viper but certainly doesn't have those clicking issues. I've the Model O for about 6 months and it's been great with really nice mouse clicks the entire time.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
If you are considering a Viper, you should give the Glorious Model O a look. It's a very similar shape to the Viper but certainly doesn't have those clicking issues. I've the Model O for about 6 months and it's been great with really nice mouse clicks the entire time.
Those holes everywhere looks too ugly and I wonder how do people clean that mouse properly

Seems Model O has same problem as Viper the side buttons are too small and high

The side buttons on my Logitech G403 with my thumb is perfection wish other Mouse would copy that

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
My G502 just got double click after eight month of use, and I'm not even playing FPS anymore with this thing.
I'm super tired of Logitech and their trash click mechanism... the issue is that form what I've see is the only one with a lot of buttons easy to reach with fingertip grip.
My brother have the Glorious Model O and I can barely use the lower button on the side, what do you suggest similar to G502 without trash clicks?

The G502 is unique. That's part of why it's so popular. If I had to make a suggestion it would be to get a regular 5 button mouse. 5 button mice come in all shapes, size and price ranges.

Those holes everywhere looks too ugly and I wonder how do people clean that mouse properly

Seems Model O has same problem as Viper the side buttons are too small and high

The side buttons on my Logitech G403 with my thumb is perfection wish other Mouse would copy that

Can't say I've had any issues with the holes in that area. The dirtiest parts of a mouse are going to the best area where you rest your thumb, index finger and middle finger.

I love the G403 side buttons. Death adder, Model D and the Zowie EC2 series all have great, large, side buttons as well.

Basilisk V2 impressions **SO MUCH BETTER CLICKS**
OP
OP
etta

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UPDATE - purchased Basilisk V2 because of sale

Wow this thing is so much better. The clicks are immediately better, there's a satisfying thunk and substance to them that even the G502 lacked. That was crisp, this is crisp AND solid. Sweet fancy Moses does it feel so good. And the body is identical to the G502 so it's a smaller frame making it easier for a claw grip, it's heavy and solid, and the materials make it feel fancy and expensive.

There's is almost no travel, the click is immediate and crunchy, I love it so much. This thing was $69 CAD on sale and it immediately made my $99 Deathadder V2 feel obsolete. Well, it's a good backup mouse now if anything happens to this without a moment's notice.

Glad this thread was made I was thinking about buying original Viper or Viper mini but these issues people stating not so keen anymore

Quoting you if you want to see impressions.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Viper might be one of the best purchases I've made in recent history. It's incredibly lightweight, has a nice feeling click, and glides extremely smooth.