• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Games when properly optimized are seeing size reductions on Series S compared to Series X and PS5. I know and think myself the storage is tiny, but it's not as bad as the CoD example suggests. Sea of Thieves is like 17GB on S and 47GB on X iirc.

To be fair there are games with much less than ~50% saving and MS only claims a average of 30% for Series S. But all I am saying is that you can't really compare the available size between Series S and PS5/XsX like for like, because games will be smaller (sometimes considerably) on Series S.

Oh yes. This is great.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
This shouldn't be too surprising to people, Microsoft's whole marketing message for the Series S was "games will look exactly the same as on Series X, all effects and framerates, just lower resolution". We had ONE game developer decide not to do ray tracing on the Series S version, and suddenly everyone was like "The Series S sucks, not worth it even if you only have a 1080p TV". The lower resolution should make up for most of the speed and memory differences on the device; ray tracing is included in that, because ray tracing is VERY dependent on resolution, so dropping the resolution by 1/2 (1440p) or 1/4 (1080p) will drop ray tracing requirements by almost those same ratios.

Tbh you can't really tell from this footage how much is RT and how much is SSR fallback. Driving is the worst way to determine RT, except for the reflections on the car itself.
This video shows a whole lot more

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Overall I thought it looked good. Watched a YouTube vid from MVG, and there were asset within your foot steps that were popping out though. Very jarring, huge things like drain covers?

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Some screens. Series S

EmT3KeIWMAE_qVg
EmT3Jw7W8AIaCFj
EmT3LWlXEAAYjIL
EmT3AQ1W4AApkJ3

These are direct-feed screens? The image quality looks significantly better than the YouTube feeds, which should be expected. Very impressive. The Ray Tracing does seem a bit higher quality on XSX, but the overall game seems to be using essentially the same quality settings at a glance.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
These are direct-feed screens? The image quality looks significantly better than the YouTube feeds, which should be expected. Very impressive. The Ray Tracing does seem a bit higher quality on XSX, but the overall game seems to be using essentially the same quality settings at a glance.
Yeah direct feed. From Twitter tho. So some compression

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
This is certainly looking impressive for that price and I'm not here to console-war. I just wanted to point out that the price/performance should technically not be compared with the 500€ boxes but rather with the PS5 Digital Edition. Both the DE and Series S have no disc drive so the difference in price/performance between Series S and PS5 is "just" 100€.

This is just purely about performance though. The Series S of course has Game Pass going for it which makes it a more interesting digital only device than than the PS5 DE to me. I may get it just for GP some time in the future, just like I did with the One S all digital.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
This is certainly looking impressive for that price and I'm not here to console-war. I just wanted to point out that the price/performance should technically not be compared with the 500€ boxes but rather with the PS5 Digital Edition. Both the DE and Series S have no disc drive so the difference in price/performance between Series S and PS5 is "just" 100€.

This is just purely about performance though. The Series S of course has Game Pass going for it which makes it a more interesting digital only device than than the PS5 DE to me. I may get it just for GP some time in the future, just like I did with the One S all digital.

The DE should only be compared to the X and in particular the 5, considering it has identical specs as its more expensive version. Weird to compare it to the S just because they're both digital only devices tbh

Oct 27, 2017
The DE should only be compared to the X and in particular the 5, considering it has identical specs as its more expensive version. Weird to compare it to the S just because they're both digital only devices tbh
I think he's making the argument that if you're a consumer looking for the best value, the DE is closest comparison as far as price/features. If your typical gamer doesn't care about 4K or disk drives (I'm sure most don't), then the difference between the XSS and PS5DE just comes down to the games and prices.

Although the Series S does have the cute looks going for it and PS5 has the haptic feedback, both are the type of things you can show off in a Best Buy kiosk.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017

It having different specs (and a different price) is the point I made. My comment is a reaction to the comments about it just being 300€. If you want to get that specific, the S can not be compared to anything and the PS5 DE neither too because nobody else offers an exactly similar product. But I don't know why I wouldn't compare price/perfomance differences at all? It'll be super interesting to see game comparisons between Series S, X and PS5 in the future and fact of the matter is they are available starting from 300/500/400 each.

There is nothing to compare between PS5 DE and PS5 disc version.

zerosnake99

Oct 25, 2018

That's impressive, but that also looks terrible. It makes it look like all the roads are flooded. It'd be nice if they used SSR for roads, and RT for "smooth" objects, like cars, windows, puddles. I know that's a limitation with RT, that roughness is expensive, so maybe devs can learn to work around it. I don't know how that stuff really works though so maybe that's not a thing that can be done.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
This is the one of the best captures to make it really clear we are talking about ray tracing and not SSR: