• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to play with the RT stuff in UE4 and thought I would be waiting over a year to do so (next GPU cycle). April time-frame is fantastic news, even if performance will be poor on my 1070.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because of this work, we have dramatically sped up ray tracing performance for GeForce RTX GPUs, and can now enable DirectX Raytracing ( DXR ) on GeForce GTX 1060 6GB and higher graphics cards via a Game Ready Driver update, expected in April.

Am I interpreting this correctly in that it says RTX cards will also get a large FPS boost in ray traced games in April? That would be nice. I have an RTX 2070 but haven't bothered trying DXR in BFV or Exodus because the benchmarks I've seen for 1440p have been not that great.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Between this and the CryEngine thing running on a Vega 56 the other day, looks like RT cores weren't quite as important for ray-tracing as we might've been led to believe.
CE's solution isn't a great one quality wise & requires SVOGI on top of it, so it's expensive & only runs in a scripted demo so far, not a real game. It seems for now decent RT quality that's viable without any catches will be a Nvidia thing unless you want a big performance hit.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia said during the prebrief that:
Basically, Battlefield V-style RTX (reflections and shadows) will work well on powerful Pascal cards. Metro Exodus/Quake II VKPT (global illumination) will be butt.

Damn, I was hoping I could play Quake 2 with my 1080 lol. At least I'll be able to try it out, I guess...

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
As long as I can play the new Quake 2 RTX stuff then showed today at 60fps on my GTX 1080 then i'll be happy.

Edit: oh :(

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is bonkers! As a 1080ti owner this is great news but still bonkers all this considered.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yes, of course, I didn't say the cores weren't important for maintaining performance - just that it looks like ray-tracing doesn't *need* the RTX cores. It's just highly recommended.
by this logic, you wouldnt need a GPU to render real time 3D graphics as well as a CPU can technically do it.

All GPU must be scam /S

I thought it was known all along that raytracing can be rendered from non-RTX cards.. just that they will run like ass and the tensor cores in the RTX aids and accelerates the rendering of raytracing.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give the people with GTX cards a taste of ray tracing with horrible performance and hopefully that'll push them closer to upgrading to an RTX card. Genius Nvidia. Gotta increase the sales anyway you can, price cuts aren't an option.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
maybe that rumor from reddit about the 2 different Xbox skus, 1 4TF, other 12 TF wasn't far off, it said both would have ray tracing.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Give the people with GTX cards a taste of ray tracing with horrible performance and hopefully that'll push them closer to upgrading to an RTX card. Genius Nvidia. Gotta increase the sales anyway you can, price cuts aren't an option.

you fiddled the riddle, congratulations

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
So do people still think the new consoles won't support some form of ray-tracing?

yes....because it will be too slow...

just because something can run raytracing doesn't mean it can run raytracing reasonably

Compaq Presario 386s can run doom shareware too back then..............in glorious 10fps!

Can technically run and can run well are two separate things.

This should be a good news to give people without RTX a 'taste' of raytracing (with shitty framerate) but what i am reading some far out uninformed 'Tensor cores is a lie, nvidia is evil, buy amd people stands for justice!' type of comment? My head hurts.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
If I try this on my 1080ti and see what I like then I'm going to want to go buy a 2080ti to play it on decent framerates so I'm going to not turn it on.

I should really hold out to see what's coming in the next year to see if I want to upgrade.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
maybe that rumor from reddit about the 2 different Xbox skus, 1 4TF, other 12 TF wasn't far off, it said both would have ray tracing.
The big question would be if there is accelerated ray tracing hardware, because yes, any gpu could do it, it just would not be fast or at low resolution

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Nvidia said during the prebrief that:
Basically, Battlefield V-style RTX (reflections and shadows) will work well on powerful Pascal cards. Metro Exodus/Quake II VKPT (global illumination) will be butt.

When you say they will be butt what do you mean? That it will look bad or run bad?

Because I can't understand why that would be the case, I have seen full real-time global illumination in games without RTX (The Hunter - Call Of The Wild) and it runs perfectly fine even at 4k res.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime I watch a streamer try a new game with RTX enabled, they always end up turning it off because the performance is shitting the bed, then the "RTX just works" memes start for a while. Can't imagine if it runs like that on the dedicated high end card that it would be even worth trying on my paltry 1060 lol

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Has anyone considered that this might be Nvidia trying to encourage people to buy RTX cards because they haven't sold as well as planned*

*https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidi...-GPU-sales-weaker-than-expected.401341.0.html

CEO Jensen Huang has been describing how Q4 of fiscal year 2019 was a "real punch in the gut." The executive was referring to the news that Nvidia has had to lower its revenue guidance for the quarter.

The company is not blind to the issue though, theorising that potential purchasers could be waiting for further demonstrations of the GPUs' capabilities

This is a perfect way for people to see the visual improvements it offers and once people see it for themselves they will want an RTX card and not be able to resist because pascal won't give them enough raw performance to run it at acceptable framerates?

Smart business move for sure, maybe I am just being cynical though.

Let's also not forget that if you want to try these features on Metro then you will need to use Epic Games Store, that would be another great way to get people to use that abomination, again, maybe I am just being cynical/paranoid but I don't tend to think moves like this are made unless there is an underlying benefit to the company doing it, I doubt it's just because they want everyone to have nice things...

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Could someone clarify something pleade? Will the gtx 10 csrds be able to use dlss after the update? That is the one aspect that interests me out of this.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Has anyone considered that this might be Nvidia trying to encourage people to buy RTX cards because they haven't sold as well as planned*

*https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidi...-GPU-sales-weaker-than-expected.401341.0.html

This is a perfect way for people to see the visual improvements it offers and once people see it for themselves they will want an RTX card and not be able to resist because pascal won't give them enough raw performance to run it at acceptable framerates?

Smart business move for sure, maybe I am just being cynical though.

Let's also not forget that if you want to try these features on Metro then you will need to use Epic Games Store, that would be another great way to get people to use that abomination, again, maybe I am just being cynical/paranoid but I don't tend to think moves like this are made unless there is an underlying benefit to the company doing it, I doubt it's just because they want everyone to have nice things...
Purchasers are waiting for reasonable prices more like it, but sure, $1200 GPU to play Quake 2 with ray tracing is what we want Nvidia.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
To me this looks like them wanting to make you try it while it runs like crap and make you go " oh man I guess I REALLY DO NEED an rtx card " then the gulible gets hooked into buying those cards which are currently selling not to well.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
will that Q2VKPT quake ray trace work on gtx1080 now?

edit: ok...how bad is bad?

Last edited:

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
To me this looks like them wanting to make you try it while it runs like crap and make you go " oh man I guess I REALLY DO NEED an rtx card " then the gulible gets hooked into buying those cards which are currently selling not to well.

Well, it's already at the point where if you want increased performance from mid-high range cards, you've got to buy an RTX.. at least from Nvidia anyway. Either people hold off and watch their general game performance go down as new games release.. or they eventually end up buying an RTX card from Nvidia at some point. We'll have to see what AMD does.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

That's exactly what it is imo.

Just like this rubbish about quake 2 ray tracing not working as well on older cards.

You can literally mod Minecraft to use GI and I have seen GI implemented in games with great framerates, this is a business move imo.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
That's exactly what it is imo.

Just like this rubbish about quake 2 ray tracing not working as well on older cards.

You can literally mod Minecraft to use GI and I have seen GI implemented in games with great framerates, this is a business move imo.
What... GI and raytraced GI are completely different things, down to how they are done.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense, you want people to see their gpus run RT like shit, so they will be more interested in RTX.

Let's hope we can run Quake.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I'm trying to think how many people would actually fall for that and it doesn't make a lot of sense. "My 10 series GPU is crap its not even comptabile with ray tracing features I REALLY DO NEED to upgrade" vs "my 10 series GPU CAN run ray tracing features but its so crap at it I REALLY DO NEED to upgrade". And the benchmarks for RTX cards are aplenty to see how well they perform. Seems to me people who could afford the RTX gpus most probably already have one atm and this won't change that.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Hopefully I will be able to run smaller games like the recently announced Quake2 RTX on my base GTX1080.

The screenshots looked nuts.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So do people still think the new consoles won't support some form of ray-tracing?
I mean, support was always there since the NES... :)
But yeah, I guess there will be next-gen games with some support for ray-tracing on the next-gen consoles and I guess devs will find tricks and smart solutions to shortcuts when doing ray-tracing but the difference to GPUs with dedicated hardware will increase even more when NV further develops their specific hardware. It will be either *way* better performance for them or *way* better looking - or even both. On AMD you are then locked to fixed hardware for years where you can "only" improve your algorithms while NV can both improve algorithms *and* their hardware.
I just don't expect major things when it comes to raytracing on the next-gen consoles, unless they also have some dedicated hardware in it.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit confused why Nvidia is doing this. More options are always better, but I don't expect this to run good on Pascal GPUs.
Maybe they are trying to promote RTX cards by showing off how badly DXR runs on older cards?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit confused why Nvidia is doing this. More options are always better, but I don't expect this to run good on Pascal GPUs.
Maybe they are trying to promote RTX cards by showing off how badly DXR runs on older cards?

1. More options.
2. Going forward, GPUs without RT fonctions might run less power hungry features such as shadows or reflections and keep the heavy stuff such as GI for RT based hardware.
3. Sales. It allows to promote and give everyone a taste of ray-tracing to convince them that it changes the way the game looks, yet your hardware isn't enough to get decent speed.