• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
variety.com

Ray Fisher Says He’s Done Working With DC Films President Walter Hamada

Ray Fisher says he won't work with DC Films President Walter Hamada after WarnerMedia's investigation of "Justice League."

"Justice League" star Ray Fisher says he will not work on any film associated with DC Films President Walter Hamada in the wake of WarnerMedia's investigation into the alleged misconduct on the superhero film set. The announcement appears to effectively end Fisher's brief tenure as the DC superhero Cyborg after the release of Zack Snyder's four-hour director's cut of "Justice League" on HBO Max in 2021.

I guess Justice League is his last appearance as Cyborg unless Walter Hamada is removed.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they were exactly looking to hire him again.....especially since they've given up on the idea of a shared continuity, and it likely costs a few thousand dollars for every second that his character is on-screen.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Is this guy just trying to wreck his entire career now? I mean, I get going after Joss Whedon and Johns if they did something wrong. But then going after the WB DC Film's President feels like something others in the industry will see as being a bad move, unless something actually comes out to support Ray's accusations.

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I know its not fair given the gravity of the accusations against Johns and Whedon, but unfortunately his character gives him exactly zero leverage, no one really cares about Cyborg much less that take. Unlike Gadot and Momoa that have them by the balls and could actually get a response if they threatened to leave.

Unless of course the investigation finds something big on Hamada and it goes public, then again this whole investigation will probably end with a "We investigated ourselves and found nothing wrong" BS

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Super weird how this thread is mostly people rationalizing why it's no big deal he's taking a stand on something. Like they totally glanced over there's investigation into misconduct he's obviously unhappy with?

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I'm glad he's trying to hold people accountable, but this is all very questionable as a career move.
Is he basically signaling this is his last movie, and especially for WB?
I don't know what else he's even been in besides this role.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Super weird how this thread is mostly people rationalizing why it's no big deal he's taking a stand on something. Like they totally glanced over there's investigation into misconduct he's obviously unhappy with?
It would be a big deal if he was contracted for multiple future films. He's not. They brought him back for ZSJL, and that's it.

More "You can't fire me, I quit" than taking a stand.

That's disregarding the allegations, he just plain was not invited back.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am with Ray, WB has a bad culture. Just google the last guy to have Hamada's job, that shit doesn't just disappear especially when they don't even attempt to look like they are doing better

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
We need an external investigator to find out what the hell is going on! no more "we investigated ourselves and found nothing wrong" crap

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
Why is the immediate response in this thread an assessment of Fisher's career trajectory? How is the conversation not around supporting him? Weird lack of criticism for DC execs.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are more things important to people than their movie careers. I completely respect Ray for taking a stand even if people will deride him for supposedly not having a career going forward anyway. Dude has principles and I wish him the best in whatever venture he pursues next.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I mean, they're probably vindictive enough they wouldn't let bygones be bygones after the investigation, anyway.

Either someone will respect him for standing up and give him another shot in the industry, or he was already on the "outs" as soon as he brought attention to the matter and he might as well stand by what's right and what he believes in at this point, anyway. I don't see any scenario where backing down and pretending to play nice about it works out for him at this late stage.

So more power to him, either way.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some of yall really think it's worth it to deal with misconduct and racism in the industry and would rather he put up with that again than make a stand? So that the next black actor this happens too has to swallow their pride only for it to continue? The sentiment that his character wasn't an impactful part of the movies would seem to suggest that his claims aren't unfounded either. So why all the finger wagging over 'career trajectories' and 'leverage'?

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I am with Ray, WB has a bad culture. Just google the last guy to have Hamada's job, that shit doesn't just disappear especially when they don't even attempt to look like they are doing better

I'm with Ray, too. Considering everything he has to lose, I'd say him taking a stand like this should signal that something gross is going on. I understand that he doesn't have much of a career, but this is like taking an on-fire barbed-wired baseball bat to it.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I don't blame Ray. I just feel bad that this hasn't gotten any traction that I can see. Hopefully, his career isn't impacted too much. Heck, maybe Marvel has an opening he could take.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope he has a plan for the next phase of his career, for his own sake. I get standing up for yourself, but the man is basically burning himself at this point.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he probably didn't have to say that. Kinda obvious JL would be the last he'd work with them.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Some of yall really think it's worth it to deal with misconduct and racism in the industry and would rather he put up with that again than make a stand? So that the next black actor this happens too has to swallow their pride only for it to continue? The sentiment that his character wasn't an impactful part of the movies would seem to suggest that his claims aren't unfounded either. So why all the finger wagging over 'career trajectories' and 'leverage'?

I'm with you on this. The fact that he's a black actor is what has me paying a lot more attention to this. Hopefully he can land back on his feet, but like... geez. Think of how this could affect other black actors in the future. We already know anti-black racism is rampant in the US, at least Ray's pushing back in Hollywood.

Also... wasn't Hamada one of the WB executives who decided to release JL before the end of 2016 because he wanted a bonus that had to do with the AT&T merger? Scuttling one of your studio's major releases just so you can get a bigger paycheck to yourself is not a sign of good leadership.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Yep. I respect Ray for sacrificing his film career to highlight this. He should be alright though since he was primarily a theater actor.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Also... wasn't Hamada one of the WB executives who decided to release JL before the end of 2016 because he wanted a bonus that had to do with the AT&T merger? Scuttling one of your studio's major releases just so you can get a bigger paycheck to yourself is not a sign of good leadership.
No, he didn't come aboard until Spring of 2018 after they cleared house.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I'm with you on this. The fact that he's a black actor is what has me paying a lot more attention to this. Hopefully he can land back on his feet, but like... geez. Think of how this could affect other black actors in the future. We already know anti-black racism is rampant in the US, at least Ray's pushing back in Hollywood.

lol no, that's Kevin Tsujihara, the former WB CEO.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Why is the immediate response in this thread an assessment of Fisher's career trajectory? How is the conversation not around supporting him? Weird lack of criticism for DC execs.
Because whether we support him or not, he's basically ending his career at this point. No studio will come near him and he doesn't exactly have a long resume.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I know its not fair given the gravity of the accusations against Johns and Whedon
I still don't understand what the accusations are! Has anything actually been said about what Whedon, Johns, et al. are alleged to have done? I think the only thing I've seen was an anecdote of Whedon talking shit about Snyder's cut of the film -- which is unprofessional and just kinda dickish, especially given what Snyder was going through at the time. But that doesn't exactly match up to the vague level of accusations being leveled over JL (and doesn't implicate Johns, Berg, or Hamada either).

Oct 25, 2017
Whats his issue with Hamada?
Hamada came in much later and seemingly wasn't involved with anything with him.

Unless he's mad about them seemingly cutting Cyborg out of Flash.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand what the accusations are! Has anything actually been said about what Whedon, Johns, et al. are alleged to have done? I think the only thing I've seen was an anecdote of Whedon talking shit about Snyder's cut of the film -- which is unprofessional and just kinda dickish, especially given what Snyder was going through at the time. But that doesn't exactly match up to the vague level of accusations being leveled over JL (and doesn't implicate Johns, Berg, or Hamada either).
I've never heard any actual allegations either. He's certainly ended his Hollywood career at any rate.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018

Yeah, I respect his resolve to not stand for this. reading post here it's like people are just saying "Rip his career ..." as if he's just screaming at clouds about non-sense.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Whats his issue with Hamada?
Hamada came in much later and seemingly wasn't involved with anything with him.

Unless he's mad about them seemingly cutting Cyborg out of Flash.
He's mad because Hamada asked Ray not to throw anyone under the bus. I'll see if I can find the tweet from Ray.

EDIT - Found it... Oh, I had it backwards.

variety.com

Ray Fisher Says He’s Done Working With DC Films President Walter Hamada

Ray Fisher says he won't work with DC Films President Walter Hamada after WarnerMedia's investigation of "Justice League."

The "Sept. 4th hit-piece" that Fisher referred to was a statement from Warner Bros. that Fisher refused to meet with the third-party investigators, a claim that he denied. The studio's statement followed a tweet from Fisher in which the actor alleged Hamada "attempted to throw Joss Whedon and Jon Berg under the bus in hopes that I would relent on Geoff Johns," a claim the studio denied.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that there's enough smoke that there's a fire, at least for Ray. I hope he finds his footing comfortably in the near future.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
as per usual some comments in this very disappointing, gal even confirmed she had issues with whedon
but per usual ray acting crazy for taking a public stand, whatever man

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I guess he's kinda in a "what do I really have to lose" situation, since he clearly wasn't coming back for another WB movie any time soon anyway.
This is it exactly I think. I don't think he's burning his WB bridges, I think they're already burnt and he's taking a stand while he still has a voice possibly at the cost of working elsewhere. I really respect it and hope someone better hires him.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, is there any info on this? Some article that lays it all out or something?

I don't see what people are saying in this thread as victim blaming, they're simply pointing out the reality that going HAM on WB doesn't just make WB not want to work with him, but every other studio. Whether he's right or wrong. No ones blaming him for what happened (whatever is is), but it's sad that a promising actor won't have the career he should have. Not his fault though, and if things were as bad as he's making it seem, I have a lot of respect for him.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I feel like you don't set your career on fire like this unless he's speaking the truth. Like, this kind of public animosity is highly career limiting, even beyond wb, so he's gotta be real passionate and sincere about it