• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Ray Fisher to Joss Whedon: ‘Sue Me for Slander’ if ‘Justice League’ Abuse Allegations Are Untrue

"Justice League" actor Ray Fisher says he's backing up his claims about Joss Whedon in a "process" that will get to the heart of the matter.

In a live panel for the independent "Justice League" fan convention JusticeCon on Saturday, actor Ray Fisher claimed that he is undergoing "a process" to get to "the heart" of his earlier allegations that director Joss Whedon engaged in "abusive, unprofessional" behavior on the set of the 2017 DC Comics adaptation.

Fisher was asked to compare working with Whedon to Zack Snyder, the original director on "Justice League" who left the film due to a family tragedy. Whedon took over directing and writing duties for extensive reshoots on the project, which opened in November 2017 to mixed-to-negative reviews and disappointing box office returns.

"I don't want to compare them in any way, shape or form," Fisher said. "But what I will say toward the Joss Whedon situation is obviously I put out some pretty strong words and some pretty strong comments about Joss Whedon, and every single one of those words, every single one of those comments, is true."
Fisher once again offered no specific details or independent confirmation about his claims. But he said he did not choose to make them lightly.

"It's taken me two and a half years to get all the information I need to be able to build something that's strong enough so people can't dismiss it," he said. Fisher said he spent those years approaching people to see if they would be "willing to speak" about their experiences on the film if it was "with anonymity, confidentially."

"People go, 'Yeah, I would.' And so we're in the process of making sure that people can tell their stories in a confidential way that they don't get any sort of retribution done against them," he said. "We're gonna get to the heart of everything. And if anything I said about that man is untrue, I invite him wholeheartedly to sue me for libel, to sue me for slander."
Fisher also responded to Berg's statement to Variety that it was "categorically untrue that we enabled any unprofessional behavior" on the "Justice League" set.

"His denial of the situation, his denial of the enabling of that situation was asinine, it was tone deaf, and it was completely disrespectful to the situation," Fisher said. "That man is scared. He should also be, because we're going to get to the heart of it. And if you keep in mind, he did not deny that there was any unprofessional behavior. He did not deny knowing about any individual behavior. He said that 'we' — meaning, assuming 'Geoff Johns and myself' — 'we did not enable any unprofessional behavior.' You can look at that statement and tell it's a knee jerk statement of an individual who is scared."

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a very fair standard -- slander cases are hard to win for a public figure in the US

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be extremely interesting. As far as I'm aware, none of Whedon's other films have been through anything like this, unless people are withholding information. Dude got the dream of directing the Avengers & Justice League & he screws it up.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
A safer workplace eh? Are there going to claims of like overworking/stunt work stuff not done correctly or with proper prep and patience or something?

I'm no huge Whedon stan or anything so i'm curious how this unfolds. Good that dude is taking his time and doing this right instead of just blowing up twitter and having this disappear the following week.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

Geoff Johns is involved in this shitshow too? Oh for fuck's sake.

Edit: hm, apparently I missed the news about that. He was already named by Ray Fisher the first time the story broke. Well then, another reason for me to refuse to support DC financially. Fuck all of these abusive assholes. Between this and the Rockstready scandal that blew up, I'm just fucking done.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Has he said what he did?
No and that's why many are not supporting Ray's claims. No other cast member said anything about this I think.

Hollywood is an evil terrible place for men and women. So I hope the truth comes out. Shit like this was left in the dark for to many years. I don't want to know how it was 20-60 years ago. Literally a wild west for abuse I assume.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not much to discuss until there are specific allegations. Even then I'm not sure if anonymous claims are really going to cut it for most people.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The part about this abuse taking advantage of the AT&T and Time Warner merger does put an interesting wrinkle on it because it makes it plausible that maybe they tried to keep people silent and keep it all under wraps to prevent a scandal during a big merger.

It still depends on the substance of the accusations for what this abusive environment looked like, but given the pressure, the dysfunctional production, and the merger, it certainly seems like the perfect storm for actors and staff be bullied as people with egos and some power were trying to maintain control. It doesn't justify abuse, but between the way that WB handled Justice League and the DCEU, then tried to do a hard swerve with the tone in the middle of production, and then still try to release the film on time so execs could get their bonuses (all while an important merger was going on in the background) I can see how things would already be chaotic behind the scenes, but especially for this film.

This is also Warner Bros. under Kevin Tsujihara who got in trouble for his own abuses of power, gross improper conduct, and mismanagement, so it could have been a culture that came from the top at the time.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I know im going to get shit for this, and I get it, I do. I just think its strange that Fisher has been the only one putting Johns on blast regarding the film. Like, did I miss any of the other cast coming out and saying similar things? All ive seen is Fisher making these claims multiple times now. To me, it just feels like a grudge, rather than him bringing these allegations to light.

Im not saying they are false or shouldnt be believed. It just seems weird to me. The Whedon stuff I can understand, but at the same time I feel like Whedon was put in an already impossible situation and there was no way everyone was going to be happy with the changes. But if he was hateful or toxic, then yes he should be put on blast.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
I know im going to get shit for this, and I get it, I do. I just think its strange that Fisher has been the only one putting Johns on blast regarding the film. Like, did I miss any of the other cast coming out and saying similar things? All ive seen is Fisher making these claims multiple times now. To me, it just feels like a grudge, rather than him bringing these allegations to light.

Im not saying they are false or shouldnt be believed. It just seems weird to me. The Whedon stuff I can understand, but at the same time I feel like Whedon was put in an already impossible situation and there was no way everyone was going to be happy with the changes. But if he was hateful or toxic, then yes he should be put on blast.

ah jason momoa came out with an even stronger statement lmaoooo, imagine trusting a large corporation

bloop , never side with big companies, they always doing shady stuff

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017

I can't look it up at the moment but I believe gal Gadot also had issues with Joss whedon.