• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I forgot that Nelson was at DC for a full decade. She would actually know stuff and is an important figure in Geoff´s upwards career.
The more interesting thing here is that she was an executive. Those typically have to sign non-disparagement clauses. I wonder how close her comments come to violating it. That shit and years-long NDAs are the devils. All of this will be unraveled one day and it´s not really us who were wronged anyway. Let them fight.

Geoff had a white vest till 2017/18 when he got his demotion after many rapid promotions. Some of his comics (Infinite Crisis was controversial around release) or film/TV work got flack (Spike´s Blade, GL 2011, etc) but never him as a person. And then the dam burst in 2020. I point this out as I have been following the scene before he joined it professionally. His character being questioned came fully out of nowhere.

Joss Wheadon´s case on the other hand had been building for years. His The Nevers for Hbo Max resumed production in September 2020 after COVID put a brake on it but hundreds of jobs are on the line here. Let them finish S1 and WB will then have to go from there. Good luck with the press tour and Geoff had DC Fandome panels. As 3 Jokers which I watched. I have no idea what Jon Berg is up to right now and Fisher accused more than 3 people. He only bothered to name these by name. One of his accusers called him to apologize according to him. It's not all doom and gloom behind the scenes but we clearly aren´t seeing the full picture either.
Pre-taped interviews are the future for all sorts of WB figures for quite some time. That is my conclusion.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Forbes has an interview with Ray going into more detail

"The erasure of people of color from the 2017 theatrical version of Justice League was neither an accident nor coincidence," Ray Fisher calmly, but sternly stated.

"For one thing, the cast and crew were told that Zack had handpicked Joss to finish the film for him. I didn't find out until after the reshoots that that was a complete lie." Fisher began. "I heard whispers and rumblings of things being off behind the scenes, but nothing concrete until much later. They had us go out to San Diego Comic-Con in 2017 and say Zack picked Joss and that Joss was a great guy. I still have the email with those talking points."

Fisher explained to Forbes the exact moment he decided he needed to take a public stand.

"What set my soul on fire and forced me to speak out about Joss Whedon this summer was my becoming informed that Joss had ordered that the complexion of an actor of color be changed in post-production because he didn't like the color of their skin tone," Fisher firmly stated. "Man, with everything 2020's been, that was the tipping point for me." Whedon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

After Zack Snyder left Justice League's production in early 2017 following a family tragedy, Warner Bros. Pictures brought in Joss Whedon to conduct reshoots that heavily altered the original film. The cast of the film was taken aback by the things that happened in Snyder's absence. Yet, the cast was not aware of how bad things were about to get.

"You've got to understand, Zack stepped away to be with his family, and we wanted to give him space to do that," Fisher said. "He and I didn't speak for about a year after he left."

"You really have to ask yourself, what's more plausible—that I would purposely torpedo my career by making statements about powerful figures in Hollywood, that, if untrue, could be easily refuted. OR a handful people in positions of power said and did terrible things in order to maintain that power during a massive corporate merger."

While Fisher was candid about his frustration with the studio, he was still clear that he's not at war with the entire studio.

"I'm not in a fight with Warner Bros." Fisher sighed. "I'm in a fight with a handful of people that are attempting to use Warner Bros. to cover their tracks. All the significant film and tv work I've done has been under the WarnerMedia banner. I love what I do and who I've been blessed to do it with."

Much more at the link, hopefully this gets resolved soon.

EDIT - Please take the conversation to the new thread!

www.resetera.com

[10/29] Ray Fisher Speaks Out On “Toxic” Set And WarnerMedia Investigation Into Justice League Production

Worth reading the whole article, there's a lot here. I posted this in the old thread, but New News = New Thread

Last edited:

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Huh, never made the connection before, but Ray's right, Joss cut out a lot of PoC's roles in his version of JL. I'm glad that movie is getting erased.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Fisher, multiple actors of color had their roles completely removed or heavily-reduced in Justice League.

The role of Ryan Choi, played by Zheng Kai, was cut. Joe Morton, who played Cyborg's father Silas, had his role mostly cut and reshot. While Zack Snyder included a diverse cast of characters, many of them had roles significantly altered, or disappeared from the film altogether before it arrived in theaters. Karen Bryson, who played Cyborg's mother Ellinore, had her role cut as well. Additionally, Kiersey Clemons, who played Iris West, was removed from the film. All of them will appear in 2021's Zack Snyder's Justice League.

I believe him.

But even if you don't, about the treatment and conversations and gaslighting etc, the point above cannot be denied.

cowtools

Jul 20, 2020
Canada
"I realized that the notes I ended up getting from Johns during reshoots were just a coded version of the racist things he was saying with behind closed doors with the other execs," Fisher alleged.

This is from yesterday about the editorial environment Geoff Johns succeeded in.

Hard to deny systemic racism when there is multiple credible accounts of system racism.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Huh, never made the connection before, but Ray's right, Joss cut out a lot of PoC's roles in his version of JL. I'm glad that movie is getting erased.

The most glaring removal, for me, was Iris West and her scene with Barry. Not only did it seem like a no brainer to keep the scene as a way to provide Barry with more depth beyond comedy relief - but as a longtime reader of Flash it's pretty hard to have Barry without Iris. Even if there was a practical reason, such as an intention to recast her in the Flash standalone film, it would have been harmless to keep a scene that was only a few minutes long.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is the clarity we had been waiting for. I understand his vague statements to let the process figure itself our but clearly the process if corrupt af. Hope Ray gets his justice.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
The most glaring removal, for me, was Iris West and her scene with Barry. Not only did it seem like a no brainer to keep the scene as a way to provide Barry with more depth beyond comedy relief - but as a longtime reader of Flash it's pretty hard to have Barry without Iris. Even if there was a practical reason, such as an intention to recast her in the Flash standalone film, it would have been harmless to keep a scene that was only a few minutes long.

Whedon's version was absolutely pathetic at putting across where the characters lived or any dynamics of their day to day lives.

Re Iris, I see Whedon shares traits with some of the scumbag racists who shit up the CW Flash page on Facebook with comments about how awful Iris is and how she ruins The Flash because he treats her as an equal rather than an underling.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whedon's version was absolutely pathetic at putting across where the characters lived or any dynamics of their day to day lives.
I totally believe Fisher, but to be fair, the movie was absolutely gutted to fit a 2 hour runtime. I'm sure that'll be Whedon's defense there, but the skin tone thing.... lol

Actually on second thought, Whedon added a lot of his own bullshit to the runtime, so he really had no excuse to cut all those minority actors.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
That entire article is required reading.

This stood out to me.

Fisher said. "Hollywood is one of the most retaliatory businesses in the world. One word of you being "difficult" or "uncooperative" could be the end of your career, especially if you're black."

This goes for most business, especially corporate environments like creative and movie places, which is why it's so hard to get things taken seriously as a black person.

I hope Ray receives the justice he deserves.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I do think they would have caught flack if they left a scene with her in and recast her. Comic/comic movie fans are anal like that.

The weird thing is that I could have sworn the reason Cyborg is even in the Justice League is because of a call that Geoff Johns made for New 52, but maybe I'm mistaken (personally I would've preferred him kept in the Teen Titans but New 52 all but wiped them out)

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
So Whedon and Jones are racist scumbags? Sucks to hear

I mean buffy and angel were pretty white. Gunn (J August Richard's character) also got done dirty a lot. I feel like most minority representation in Whedon's series was likely due to pushes from his brother as well as his sister-in-law.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Jesus Christ when you lay it out like that Whedon looks pretty damn suspect with these "creative decisions".

I do think they would have caught flack if they left a scene with her in and recast her. Comic/comic movie fans are anal like that.

The weird thing is that I could have sworn the reason Cyborg is even in the Justice League is because of a call that Geoff Johns made for New 52, but maybe I'm mistaken (personally I would've preferred him kept in the Teen Titans but New 52 all but wiped them out)

Marvel threw out their original Hulk and Thanos actors, I think comic fans would get over a 3rd black Iris West.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Sucks to hear for Johns cuz I like Stargirl
also dude show know better, he's half lebanese and said has experienced discrimination on it

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I totally believe Fisher, but to be fair, the movie was absolutely gutted to fit a 2 hour runtime. I'm sure that'll be Whedon's defense there, but the skin tone thing.... lol

Actually on second thought, Whedon added a lot of his own bullshit to the runtime, so he really had no excuse to cut all those minority actors.

replace all the minority actors with some trash russian family non-characters and reshoot scenes with patented garbage Whedon cinematography. great stuff.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe Ray, fuck Whedon. Sad to hear, especially the PoC's cut from the final film. Looking forward to the Snyder cut

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
New news deserves a new topic. I'd make it but I'm on my cell.
I'll do it, was gonna do it, but this thread wasn't that old, so I figured I'd just add to it.

EDIT - Please take the conversation to the new thread

www.resetera.com

[10/29] Ray Fisher Speaks Out On “Toxic” Set And WarnerMedia Investigation Into Justice League Production

Worth reading the whole article, there's a lot here. I posted this in the old thread, but New News = New Thread

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'll do it, was gonna do it, but this thread wasn't that old, so I figured I'd just add to it.
Cool. Was about to start in on it myself. Just supremely annoyed that there's barely any posts in here after each update except that time everyone decided the big corporate media entity was definitely not lying when they said there was nothing to see.