• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
There is obviously something to the story with Charisma.

But I just posted an interview with J August and I've seen him talk about Joss in person too. It's pretty clear there are no issues there.

Fair assessment. I guess with Ray Fisher obviously praising Joss before and completely retracting it now, I find it harder to assume people feel like they can talk freely in interviews that promote their current project, but it's just as possible that J August nodding was in support of Charisma and not saying that his own experience was the same. Like I said, I would love to hear his thoughts now, no matter what they are.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
This was reported by Deadline today:

Doesn't seem like Jason Momoa has much of an issue working with Jon Berg and Geoff Johns again. If you are unaware, the film is being produced by Jon Berg, Greg Silverman and Geoff Johns.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Fair assessment. I guess with Ray Fisher obviously praising Joss before and completely retracting it now, I find it harder to assume people feel like they can talk freely in interviews that promote their current project, but it's just as possible that J August nodding was in support of Charisma and not saying that his own experience was the same. Like I said, I would love to hear his thoughts now, no matter what they are.

Either way, it's pretty clear that Charisma got fucked over with Angel. The details of it are what we're missing and her being fired would be bigger than just a Joss thing. I believe Jeff Bell was more involved in season 4 than Joss, as Joss had put his focus into Firefly at that point (and then Buffy would wrap up after Firefly was cancelled). And something like that is going to have Fox/The WB involved as well.

Charisma has outright denied rumors that she "hid" her pregnancy until the last possible moment, making the writers scramble. And her exit was clearly poor, though she did return the following season for that (beautiful) farewell episode.

The whole thing is weird. But I feel like if we're ever going to find out the truth about it, this would likely be the moment right here. But it seems like her and Joss patched things up within the past few years so she might not get involved in the dialogue.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
it shows a lot for Ezra's character that he still did this scene even after his costar refused and they had to use a body double for her instead.

Ezra's other actions may show us something but I don't know what this proves. What was he going to do, refuse to do the scene? Somehow even as a white male I don't think he had as much pull as Gadot.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Whedon had very little (basically none) on set interactions with anything Angel related.

So target the cross over characters over exclusive ones.

Well this is a perfectly stupid statement after all the trash that was reported about Whedon and his relationships with actresses.

We're really just missing a hint that it's racist stuff (beyond cutting all of the minorities roles out of the film) and that's a bingo, as far as shitty tweets go.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Well this is a perfectly stupid statement after all the trash that was reported about Whedon and his relationships with actresses.

"All that trash" was a single accusation from his ex-wife, to be clear. I don't believe any actress ever corroborated what his ex-wife said and a number of them continued to work with him (including Eliza Dushku, who has been very open with her on-set experiences regarding abuse and harassment).

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I cant stand whedon and his trash output either, i wonder if more accounts will come up from people of on set abuse or if fisher will elaborate.

Also it was odd that he got fired from Batgirl (over some sort of sexual harrassment or skeevy stuff i forgot the details of that so if somebody could correct me that would be dope) and then handed an HBO show about a year later. So i genuinely dont know what to believe about the guy.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I cant stand whedon and his trash output either, i wonder if more accounts will come up from people of on set abuse or if fisher will elaborate.

Also it was odd that he got fired from Batgirl (over some sort of sexual harrassment or skeevy stuff i forgot the details of that so if somebody could correct me that would be dope) and then handed an HBO show about a year later.

You realize you could Google first before claiming someone was fired for sexual harassment, right?

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Joss Whedon Exits ‘Batgirl’ Movie (Exclusive)

The Bat signal is being dimmed … for now.

Industry sources add that even as Whedon faced story issues, in today's cultural environment, a male filmmaker may have faced greater public scrutiny if he were to have tackled a movie with lead characters of such feminist importance as Batgirl or Wonder Woman, much like a white filmmaker would have seen backlash taking on the Black Panther movie.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I put the disclaimer in there for a reason. Didnt know he quit. So i guess hes still on really good terms with hbo/wb then.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Even with so little info I believe Fisher. As a black person who went to school/works in majority white spaces I can totally see Fisher feeling comfortable/empowered with Zach and just completely thrown under the bus with Whedon.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Even with so little info I believe Fisher. As a black person who went to school/works in majority white spaces I can totally see Fisher feeling comfortable/empowered with Zach and just completely thrown under the bus with Whedon.
I don't understand what the first part here has to do with the second? Both Snyder and Whedon are white

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020

Good on him, really. We don't have enough details to know what kind of abuse Ray is talking about, but it can come down to him not having good chemistry with Josh and Josh not being to handle an actor he doesn't like and being a POS on set, while being adorable with actors he likes.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Good on him, really. We don't have enough details to know what kind of abuse Ray is talking about, but it can come down to him not having good chemistry with Josh and Josh not being to handle an actor he doesn't like and being a POS on set, while being adorable with actors he likes.

Whedon was notorious on Buffy and Angel for having his favourites. Acker, Denisof, Masterms, Alison H. Just look at how awful the writing for Xander got later on in Buffy. I can completely buy him being a tone deaf asshole to actors and characters he doesn't care for and doesn't understand. Shit, he was was openly liking tweets criticising Steppenwolf in Justice League. Instead of, ya know, trying to fix what isn't working he just doubles on being passive aggressive or, indeed, just plain aggressive.

And Fisher unfortunately suffered for that. I'm sure Gadot got shit too, but she had the Wonder Woman clout to tell Joss where to shove his belligerence,

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand what the first part here has to do with the second? Both Snyder and Whedon are white
Zack Snyder is white.
I'm saying even in white spaces whiteness isn't a monolith. Zach found and cast Fisher and (from what I understand) put him in the forefront/empowered him. Then Whedon came and the dynamic completely shifted. Not implying Fisher's reduced role/ treatment on set were explicitly due to his race but I've had similar experiences. We're still waiting for more info to come out but I don't find it hard to believe that Whedon took over and had very set idea's on which stories/actors/voices he wanted to highlight.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
He looks like many actors do when promoting something bad. We saw it with the JL cast, the Game of Thones cast, etc. There's nothing to read into with that clip. We're just looking for things.

Ugh please stop.

It isclear that both, Ray Fisher and Momoa are in an uncomfortable moment by what Ray was forced to say at that moment, it has nothing to do with promoting the movie itself.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
We don't know. His ex-wife accused him of this in her article about what a shitty husband he was. She basically said he did casting couch type stuff, but never specified with who. She also said he began inappropriate emotional affairs with female castmembers, and I'm 99% sure she's talking about Amy Acker there, but that's just my speculation.

Based on what? Like, I'm not batting for Whedon here, but has this been corroborated in any way? Because I've never heard of this.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Ugh please stop.

It isclear that both, Ray Fisher and Momoa are in an uncomfortable moment by what Ray was forced to say at that moment, it has nothing to do with promoting the movie itself.

It is only "clear" in that they likely knew the production and film was a mess. It is absolutely not "clear" that Momoa was reacting to some known abuse from Whedon and enabling by Johns.

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Based on what? Like, I'm not batting for Whedon here, but has this been corroborated in any way? Because I've never heard of this.

You are asking about what his ex-wife said about him or about the Amy Acker thing?

It is only "clear" in that they likely knew the production and film was a mess. It is absolutely not "clear" that Momoa was reacting to some known abuse from Whedon and enabling by Johns.

Momoa's reaction is pretty clear to me. But i guess we should wait how the entire cast reacts to these allegations (If they react at all)

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

No. It likely comes from the fact that Acker is one of the people he continues to work with and remain friends with, as she appeared in a number of things after (Dollhouse, Cabin in the Woods, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.).

A number of people are throwing out random stuff in the thread, from random "rumors" without a single source behind it to casually dropping lies about him getting fired from a movie for sexual harassment.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
You are asking about what his ex-wife said about him or about the Amy Acker thing?
Acker. I posted earlier about his ex-wife and am well-aware of that. I'm well-aware that she said that he had "casting couch" situations. However, no names were ever given nor were the claims ever corroborated so to throw out a random name like that is problematic.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. It likely comes from the fact that Acker is one of the people he continues to work with and remain friends with, as she appeared in a number of things after (Dollhouse, Cabin in the Woods, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.).

A number of people are throwing out random stuff in the thread, from random "rumors" without a single source behind it to casually dropping lies about him getting fired from a movie for sexual harassment.

Wheadon may have done some bad shit, but some fans really have an axe to grind with him, accusing him of things which aren't true.

Seeing his reputation go down the toilet on the internet over the past few years has been strange, when the first Avengers film came out, dude was beloved by so many people.

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Here's the letter that Kai Cole, Joss Whedon's ex-wife, wrote that talks about all the, well quite frankly messed up shit Joss apparently did. Like affairs with co-workers, cast members, fans, and so on.

https://www.thewrap.com/joss-whedon-feminist-hypocrite-infidelity-affairs-ex-wife-kai-cole-says/

I think this is the most relevant to the current topic, as the rest deals primarily with his treatment of her and how it affected her, which is honestly quite awful.

There were times in our relationship that I was uncomfortable with the attention Joss paid other women. He always had a lot of female friends, but he told me it was because his mother raised him as a feminist, so he just liked women better. He said he admired and respected females, he didn't lust after them. I believed him and trusted him. On the set of "Buffy," Joss decided to have his first secret affair.

Fifteen years later, when he was done with our marriage and finally ready to tell the truth, he wrote me, "When I was running 'Buffy,' I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can't touch it." But he did touch it. He said he understood, "I would have to lie — or conceal some part of the truth — for the rest of my life," but he did it anyway, hoping that first affair, "would be ENOUGH, that THEN we could move on and outlast it."

Joss admitted that for the next decade and a half, he hid multiple affairs and a number of inappropriate emotional ones that he had with his actresses, co-workers, fans and friends, while he stayed married to me. He wrote me a letter when our marriage was falling apart, but I still didn't know the whole truth, and said, "I've never loved anyone or wanted to be with anyone in any real or long-term way except for you ever. And I love our life. I love how you are, how we are, who you are and what we've done both separately and together, how much fun we have…" He wanted it all; he didn't want to choose, so he accepted the duality as a part of his life.

So Joss doing shady shit on set, not a new thing, but not actually said by anyone other than his wife until recently. So we'll see if these old stories arise out of the wood work because at the bottom of the article, this pops up:

Editor's Note: A spokesperson for Joss Whedon provided the following response, "While this account includes inaccuracies and misrepresentations which can be harmful to their family, Joss is not commenting, out of concern for his children and out of respect for his ex-wife."

So it's hard to say, because like I said, the rest of that letter contains the rest of it dealing with specifically his relationship with her and confession of abuse to her. So what inaccuracies there are, if any, hard to say.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
If this is true, I really hope the rest of the cast will come out and support him instead of being silent.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying even in white spaces whiteness isn't a monolith. Zach found and cast Fisher and (from what I understand) put him in the forefront/empowered him. Then Whedon came and the dynamic completely shifted. Not implying Fisher's reduced role/ treatment on set were explicitly due to his race but I've had similar experiences. We're still waiting for more info to come out but I don't find it hard to believe that Whedon took over and had very set idea's on which stories/actors/voices he wanted to highlight.
Me neither! But that's also because Whedon is a different director with very different visual and storytelling sensibilities than Snyder, who was brought onboard to rework someone else's script and direct someone else's cast, so it wouldn't surprise me that he naturally ended up highlighting different actors/characters than Snyder would have. I would also imagine the negative reception to BvS and the positive reception to WW influenced how certain characters ended up being portrayed. I take your point about Snyder giving Fisher more of a seat at the table than Whedon. I just don't know how much their whiteness was a part of it since they are both white guys. But we also don't know much about the situation so maybe more will come out on that front.

(I would also think that, given how Cyborg is arguably the most boring and inessential member of the team, he was also the easiest character to start cutting/rewriting.)

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What do you mean based on what? It's just a vibe I get from interviews and their working relationship. That's why I said that it's just my speculation, to avoid this exact response. Take it with a grain of salt.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Charisma has outright denied rumors that she "hid" her pregnancy until the last possible moment, making the writers scramble. And her exit was clearly poor, though she did return the following season for that (beautiful) farewell episode.
I remember an old interview with David Greenwalt where he confirmed Charisma told them early during pre production of season 4 when the writers had only broken the first three or four episodes of the season so there was no scramble as she wouldn't start showing for months.
To this day I don't understand what the problem was, tv shows have either hidden or incorporated pregnancies forever and Cordelia wasn't even a character who did a lot of physical stuff on set so I'm not sure what plans would have been derailed specifically, if they didn't want to include her pregnancy they didn't have to.

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
If this is true, I really hope the rest of the cast will come out and support him instead of being silent.
According to people on here if you come out you might get blacklisted AND your life might be in serious threat if you call people out on their unprofessionalism so instead just like tweets about it !

way to go Gal Gadot! Patty Jenkins! Keep liking those tweets!

maybe we get more songs from Gal Gadot instead

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A few actors in JL are bigger names and likely have more power than Whedon at this point. No one is getting blacklisted if they corroborate Ray's claim.