• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deadasdisco

Jun 10, 2018
This looks incredibly ambitious for a small indie team that is making it. Too ambitious and likely to fail? Another asset flipped mess? I hope i'm wrong.

"RAW is a new sandbox open world hardcore MMORPG with unique approach to social structure and high attention to gameplay details."

"The player acts as a citizen of the island state. The game offers a wide range of game styles and features. Players can own land, use air, water and land transport, build houses, work for the state or find a private job, as well as organize their own business in almost any field of activity. You can be on the side of the law or go beyond it. Or just fool around alone or with your friends."

Kickstarter

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Looks like someone watched a bit too many of those GTARP streams

Anyways, they're gonna have to change those car models soon because removing badges off of actual car models makes car companies very not very happy.

Edit:
Oh no. It's got a $78k kickstarter goal? This is uh, gonna be another one of those games where it does hit EA and then gets dropped by devs before it's fully finished I can feel it.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
That is quite the ambitious project, would be fun to see if they succeed.

Dunno how GTARP works, is every character a player or are there NPCs that handle things as well? Cause I can't imagine that many will want to work as a....forklift driver.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
C'mon people, this isnt getting made.

No matter what some guy that claims to be involved in the team will post soon like it always happens.

Jan 10, 2018
Me and my friends really love these kind of sandbox games where you can mess around together. I really hope they will be able to finish it. The concept looks fantastic.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
Dunno how GTARP works, is every character a player or are there NPCs that handle things as well? Cause I can't imagine that many will want to work as a....forklift driver.
NPCs handle things too but its an RP thing so if people wanna do that they will. There's old Gmod rp servers that had things like tow truck drivers to collect people who crashed their cars and tow them back.

Anyway, $78k goal means this better have some secondary financial backing

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
GTARP is something i had no interest in until i actually played it. I have been hooked for months and if this can deliver on it's promises it could be absolutely amazing but color me skeptical. I remember a MMO floating around years ago where you lived a normal life in this massive MMO similar to this before GTA RP was a thing and that game never saw the light of day.

*Edit*
Identity was one of those similar games and didn't deliver on the majority of what it promised. Like this, it's super ambitious and is going to require quite a large team to accomplish and cash flow to keep updates and server maintenance up

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Npcs exist in the world like in GTA online. But things like police work and the hospital is handled solely by players, and ofc there's stuff like court cases and stuff:

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Looks interessting but the EGS shitshow with kickstater/fig ruined crowdfunding for me.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Looks too good to be true. I'm not even sure Rockstar could successfully accomplish and balance everything they say you'll be able to do in this game. I can't really find anything out about the devs "killerwhale games" either. A game of this scope I'd expect atleast a few named devs who have worked on previous games or something but I can't find any mention of the team or team size. Their Twitter was only made this month.

Oct 25, 2017
I take it the game won't actually have real "game systems" that reinforce any of these good ideas, but will instead just be some kind of role play shit. And even if the devs intend to have that, their first version of the game -- if it even happens -- won't feature anything other than some building stuff, and stiff models walking around an empty landscape that runs at 22 fps.

Great trailer, but not happening.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
If R* was behind it I would have believed.

Ain't happening, folks.

On a side note I wonder if there are any games like that where players shape and run the world, I've always imagined that, and can imagine the design nightmare.

Anyone knows?

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Good luck to them. Looks interesting but with an 80k goal only i can see this becoming a buggy mess that will be ready in 5 years and still look like an alpha.

It seems they have already placed 2 years of work into the development of the game and they just need the adicional funds to hire more ppl. And they expect to deliver an earlier access version in 6-12 months. So like i said, it will be ready in 5 years and still look like its in alpha. :P

Last edited:

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
If R* was behind it I would have believed.

Ain't happening, folks.

On a side note I wonder if there are any games like that where players shape and run the world, I've always imagined that, and can imagine the design nightmare.

Anyone knows?

There have been several games that, to varying degrees, have allowed players to define in-game rules and relied on them to generate much of the systemic content. Some of the more successful examples are A Tale in the Desert (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Tale_in_the_Desert), Second Life (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life), and EVE Online (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_Online). Several early MMOs including Ultima Online (https://video.arstechnica.com/watch/war-stories-ultima-online-the-virtual-ecology) and the release version of Star Wars: Galaxies had complicated player run economies.

A lot of these indie MMO projects lean in the "sandbox" direction by necessity, as they don't have the eight to nine figure budgets to generate a lot of authored content. Even better funded projects, like Amazon's "New World" (https://newworld.com/index.html), have gone in a more sandbox direction.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Saw the trailer before this thread, and something about it just set my scam-spidey sense screaming. It looked like one of those low-budget pre-rendered sequences that dodgy gambling companies use to advertise a game that doesn't exist but will force you to give your credit card info before finding out.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
There have been several games that, to varying degrees, have allowed players to define in-game rules and relied on them to generate much of the systemic content. Some of the more successful examples are A Tale in the Desert (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Tale_in_the_Desert), Second Life (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life), and EVE Online (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_Online). Several early MMOs including Ultima Online (https://video.arstechnica.com/watch/war-stories-ultima-online-the-virtual-ecology) and the release version of Star Wars: Galaxies had complicated player run economies.

A lot of these indie MMO projects lean in the "sandbox" direction by necessity, as they don't have the eight to nine figure budgets to generate a lot of authored content. Even better funded projects, like Amazon's "New World" (https://newworld.com/index.html), have gone in a more sandbox direction.

Thanks for taking the time. I'll check them out.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I think it's because they didn't present a prototype of some sort. Apparently, they have a gameplay video in the works...which they probably should have waited on.

If we don't get the gameplay in a few days, I'd definitely be ready to call scam.

Post on kickstarter:
KILLERWHALE GAMES Creator about 10 hours ago
Guys, expect our message about the current situation in discord. Shitstarter closed the project without even trying to figure out what was going on. The gameplay video was almost finished. We will continue the project anyway, because a huge amount of effort has been invested in it. Please don't listen to a bunch of offended by life idiots and their bullshit. Thank you for your support and faith in us.

Best regards, Alex Tretiakov, Killerwhale games.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it's because they didn't present a prototype of some sort. Apparently, they have a gameplay video in the works...which they probably should have waited on.

If we don't get the gameplay in a few days, I'd definitely be ready to call scam.

Post on kickstarter:
Kickstarter drama before the game comes out. Game was well pass reaching it's goals too.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder what happened though, anyone want to brave their discord and see?

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
When you gotta say your KS isn't a scam... it's probably a scam.

No way this can be made in the way they promise.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Probably that realistic release date for 2019 raised some red flags.

And the devs straight out of high school:

KILLERWHALE GAMES Creator
Guys, expect our message about the current situation in discord. Shitstarter closed the project without even trying to figure out what was going on. The gameplay video was almost finished. We will continue the project anyway, because a huge amount of effort has been invested in it. Please don't listen to a bunch of offended by life idiots and their bullshit. Thank you for your support and faith in us.

Best regards, Alex Tretiakov, Killerwhale games.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
wouldn't doubt if the original video was someone using a modded version of GTA V and made the kickstarter with it.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I hadn't heard about this 'game' until now, it's a great idea just waiting to be capitalized on fully. GTA RP is consistently at the top of twitch, so in the likely outcome that this thing falls apart, I'm certain there are other devs out there seeing the numbers on twitch and knowing there's a market for something like that so it's only a matter of time really.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I'd personally stay away from this one.

Kickstarter shut down the campaign at the last minute due to concerns and failure to meet their standards.

Theres some weird stuff going on with this project.

Source

More source

Sauce