• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rate the order of the first party studios of these companies (best to worst)

• Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo

Votes: 28 8.6%
  • Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft

Votes: 102 31.4%
  • Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony

Votes: 56 17.2%
  • Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft

Votes: 86 26.5%
  • Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony

Votes: 31 9.5%
  • Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo

Votes: 22 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Starfield is my most anticipated game next year. So Microsoft. It would have been Sony without Bethesda probably - but with Bethesda - it's not even close for me.

And Psychonauts 2 I think is my personal GOTY.

I would rather play Elder Scrolls VI more than the combined first party lineup from Nintendo and Sony tbh.

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
Nintendo > Sony > Microsoft

Ninty has so many IP's that are just iconic, it would feel weird to pick anything else. Sony is a close second with franchises that I love (anything by Naughty Dog basically), and Microsoft has... Halo and Forza Horizon (I don't play Gears).

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Microsoft has the IPs and studios that interest me the most by an insanely massive margin.

I'd probably put Nintendo's IP above Sony's but Sony's studios above Nintendo's.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Nintendo still has the best first party to me. They out here making world class games on a fucking Tegra and they are soaring high. Not to mention the dense catalog of IPs.

This is tricky because MS just bought fucking Bethesda lol. Ask me before that and I'd have Sony ahead of them easily. I'm still going to have to say Sony then MS until I see that comes of it.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Recently? Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft (very slim margins for Sony and Nintendo, but Sony has been very rock solid lately and Nintendo hasn't been the most reliable publisher lately). Historically? Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft and the gap isn't even close between the three of them. Despite being third wheel, Microsoft is probably one of the best gaming publishers out there, though.

Apr 21, 2018
Depends on the year. Microsoft did amazing this year. Sony killed it last year. Nintendo had a great 2019.

There's so much talent at all the three majors that I couldn't really rank them.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's always led in terms of 1st party. Their only serious competition in this area historically was probably Sega.

I think PlayStation and Xbox come remarkably close to each other now though. Several years ago PS would've been a strong second no question but Xbox has really turned things around at an alarming rate. Factor in Sony flushing Japan and they might be 3rd even imo.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft can't touch Sony when it comes to 1st party output.

Nintendo is just there being a badass as always.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo at the top. Can't decide between Sony or Microsoft though, would be easy if team ico still exists for Sony.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really been a fan of Nintendo's FP output this gen besides a few games, so Sony > Nintendo > Microsoft

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Nintendo >>>>>>>> Microsoft >>>>> Sony

In terms of games (which is what I assume this topic is about). The majority of my favorite franchises and games are Nintendo. Microsoft doesn't have anything I love but I like at least most of their traditional first party stuff like Halo/Gears/Fable (not counting most of their acquisitions like Bethesda, Obsidian, Double Fine, etc. since most of those I don't care about). Sony I like Ratchet/Ape Escape/Legend of Dragoon I guess, that's about it.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's still got a grip on first place for me. Sony's been good in the past but kinda not my cup or tea anymore, not big on AAA western-y things even if it does seem to be working for them. MS still has to put out something from Bethesda but when they get going they are probably gonna move up to 2nd place. They'd be 2nd place right now if they'd release a new Fable (I hope it better than 3 was)

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Sony is 1st for me. I generally buy their first party games as soon as they release. Nintendo 2nd since their only must own games for me are Zelda, Kirby, and Main Mario games. Then MS, I love Forza
Horizon nothing else is a must for me.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate that all 3 platform holders have developed first-party studios that specialize in different things. I feel no need to rank order them, as it's comparing delicious apples to similarly delicious oranges.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Can someone tell me what Nintendo's first party studios actually are? It's so hard to keep track...

First party games or first party studios?

Wouldn't studios mean we discount games like Smash and Bloodborne.
Exactly. How much of Nintendo's output are you asking me to ignore? lol

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
First party games or first party studios?

Wouldn't studios mean we discount games like Smash and Bloodborne.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Microsoft keeps buying all the studios that I like so they are easily on top for me. Sony used to be first but that changed for me, especially after the Bethesda buyout. I never really cared for most Nintendo games though. Just not my cup of tea most of the time, I guess.

Personal feelings aside, I think Nintendo is easily on top still. Even if their games typically aren't for me, I can't deny the quality their games usually have. Sony is in second but that might change once Microsoft really get going around 2023-2024.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
In terms of pure quality/polish

In terms of variety of games/genres
Microsoft > Nintendo > Sony

In terms of Gameplay/Fun
Nintendo > Microsoft > Sony

Overall
Nintendo > Microsoft > Sony

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
User Banned (3 Days): Platform warring
Sony first. They have been killing it the last ten years.

Microsoft second, they are in the middel of a huge comeback.

Nintendo last.
They mainly make games for kids, that runs on shitty hardware.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017

Ninty has so many IP's that are just iconic, it would feel weird to pick anything else. Sony is a close second with franchises that I love (anything by Naughty Dog basically), and Microsoft has... Halo and Forza Horizon (I don't play Gears).
LoL, i know this was exactly how this was going to go, but how can this halo,gears,Forza narrative still prevail for the company that owns franchises like Doom, Elder Scrolls, Minecraft, Wolfenstein, Hellblade, psychonauts and a gazillion more. If there was a publisher comparison thread before Ms acquired Bethesda for example, were people saying, yeah Activision has cod and wow, and Bethesda has ... Nothing?

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
I expected more small caliber games from Nintendo and their price points discourage me from just buying something to see if I like it. This is my mistake for expecting it but I was expecting a launch year level at least every other year and I never got that.

Microsoft hasn't done as much as they could yet or in the past but ranking on potential is not a practice I partake.

I generally buy nearly every Sony published game at launch cause they share the quality and polish and no micro transactions I expect of a AAA game.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Threads like these always result in platform warring. Locked

Status
Not open for further replies.