• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
After playing on Performance RT I tried going to Fidelity for a little bit. No thanks. I'll stay with Performance RT.

Yeah, for the first few minutes, Fidelity feels very sluggish, it take a bit of time for your brain to re-adjust (but then, it's perfectly playable after that, just less than the 60 FPS modes).

Still convinced on my playthrough with Performance RT, playing 2.5m from my 65" C9, it really doesn't make a tremendous quality difference to justify loosing 60 FPS.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I love that it "only" takes 23 gold bolts to unlock the infinite HP cheat. I think it's kinda fun that you can get something like that before you've even finished the game.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just came home from getting the bundle from my brother's door :D

KBHAVG4.jpeg

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
How crazy are the hoverboots?

Light speed in a big open map, without a single trace of pop-in or frame drop. Just crazy, the PS5 SSD is a monster

Best traversal I've ever seen in a game, I really hope we get other open world games with this kind of stuff in the future

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
OK, just got the
hover boots
. Is now a good time to go back to previous worlds and pick up items or are there more traversal abilities needed?

syndrom101

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Does anybody play this game on an LG CX? What brightness setting did you guys settle for? At default 50 brightness I have an obvious black crush:

TjN1ih8.png

Brightness 100:

2UN7ijQ.png

It feels like I suffer a loss of information with anything below 100 brightness.

EDIT: I just found this thread on Reddit:

HDR broken in Performance and Performance RT modes??

It suggests turning off 120 Hz in the PS5 menu to fix the issue. I'll try that and report back.
This has nothing to do with broken HDR in performance modes.
Due to the PS5's Hdmi 2.1 bandwith limit (32Gbps), 4k 120hz output will drop chroma resolution to YCC422 which is limited video range. On your CX, set your black level to auto. It works perfectly fine on my end with the added benefit of having a lower input lag.

If your Tv has no black level "auto" then set it lo low and the PS5 rgb range to "limited".
This Info is from Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest btw. He knows his stuff.

ShellFoyer

Oct 30, 2017
I'm at 88%. This is fun, but games can be so much more than this.

The combat areas could use your abilities - teleporting, wall running, dashing, tethering, boosting, grinding - in different combinations to give them distinct layouts and strategies. There are examples that have rifts and tether points together and it's super fun linking them with your attacks.

They could also be used more for traversal. An open area would be more fun if you could mix in all your abilities as you move across it, instead of just skating across an empty space most of the time. Despite moving fast playing the game can still feel slow, e.g. easily avoiding obstacles on a speetle or while using your hoverboots, or waiting to do something while grinding.

The pocket dimensions are one of my favourite parts; unique platforming ideas are fun. I wish they were longer and that there were more of them. How about 120?

There could be a greater variety of enemies that also mix up combat. I haven't had to employ much strategy a lot of the time. You can let your passive weapons do a lot of the work (only on medium, though I'll replay it on the next one up).

The Ratchet level with the crystals is a boring level following more exciting ones.

More polish. You can explore parts of Sargasso there's no point being in yet. I got stuck in one of those areas. There are a lot of invisible walls. One stopped me from getting somewhere it looked like I should've been able to.

Oct 28, 2017
The game is neat to look at, but I found Miles Morales on the PS5 to be more visually impressive and immersive. Then again, Horizon Zero Dawn and Last of Us Part 2 really set the bar visually.

The gameplay is repetitive. From the first scene of the game, to even now in Savali, it's just:
  • Hold down R2 and jump.
  • Switch to another weapon.
  • Hold down R2 and jump.
  • Clear out arena.
  • Go to waypoint.
  • Clear out arena.
  • Cut scene.
  • The Rifts are just short-cuts that save you a few seconds of jumping.

The cut scenes themselves offer the best entertainment, but 5 hours into it, I'm not sure what the story is anymore.

The game is classic R&C though. I think I was just caught up in the buzz and the positivity here to make me think this was great gameplay e.g. Returnal and Astrobot - the free demo.

I'm just finishing to collect trophies now. I have little motivation to go to the next planet. I'm instead finding the necessary collectibles to get the trophies needed.

6.5 out of 10

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has nothing to do with broken HDR in performance modes.
Due to the PS5's Hdmi 2.1 bandwith limit (32Gbps), 4k 120hz output will drop chroma resolution to YCC422 which is limited video range. On your CX, set your black level to auto. It works perfectly fine on my end with the added benefit of having a lower input lag.

If your Tv has no black level "auto" then set it lo low and the PS5 rgb range to "limited".
This Info is from Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest btw. He knows his stuff.
I had both on auto, now I changed it to limited/limited but I see no improvement.

120 Hz disabled, 50 brightness:

U4qR9De.jpg

100 Brightness:

6YimprL.jpg

I'm just curious what setting everybody is playing at on the LG CX and whether you got the obvious black crush at default brightness too.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I'd enjoy the game more. I might be a little burned-out from gaming so maybe at a different point it would have clicked.

I've played all main games in the series, maybe I just don't like the formula that much anymore.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Great game. It's a bit of a trip for someone like me, who really liked the old games but hasn't played any of the newer ones. I'm pretty sure I haven't played R&C since the PS2 era, and even then I didn't play Deadlocked (which idk why, a R&C game with a greater focus on the action was like it was made to appeal exactly to me, but somehow I really only played the main trilogy).

I know from GamingBrit's review of the re-imagining that they made Ratchet a super nice guy, but I guess I wasn't prepared for how much it stuck here. I remember Ratchet being a decent dude, but he had a bit of a punk edge to him and willing to be a dick to people if they were giving him problems. Kind of like Rocket Racoon. Going from that Ratchet to this one was a bit of a shock, and even Rivet, the more battle hardened of the two, is basically hyper nice and sweet. The story they wrote around this isn't bad or anything, it's just kind of a shock, but I guess they're making Ratchet now for kids whereas the first games felt like he was for young teenagers. It's not an objectively bad change I guess, I just think old Ratchet fit the gameplay a bit more. With how actiony this game is with an arsenal of big, destructive weapons, playing as a bit of a punk felt more appropriate, whereas Ratchet is more of a Mr. Cuddlewhiskers that happens to also commit small genocides whenever he decides to wage war against baddies.

Though, the bigger problem I had was that Ratchet seems....kind of stupid? Like, I genuinely don't remember if OG Ratchet was as slow on the uptake as this one is, but there is one part where he sneaks up on Nefarious but then gets distracted by the TV, vocally responds to what he's seeing, which alerts Nefarious, ruining the surprise. And it doesn't stop through the game. Like, late game, you are told to meet up with Captain Quantum. I'm spoilering it because I know if I don't, someone will get mad, but for real, you're playing in a game whose theme is different dimensions where the counterparts have similar, but slightly different names. Do the math. Anyway, we are told to meet this character and when we do, Ratchet is absolutely shocked and taken aback that this dimension has it's own Captain Quark, which he in no way expected to see. And when I saw Ratchet being shocked I was kind of staring because I assumed that Ratchet would knew who'd it would be based on the name, like I did, and I was just kind of embarrassed for him. To be fair, I don't think the game was expecting the player to be surprised, it's not like a huge twist, but man, Ratchet, get it together man.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
On planet 2, its impossible to get everything during the sidequest, right? I'm flying around on a mount and there are some things that I have no idea how to reach still.

It's annoying cause I'm not sure if I actually missed the two missable crystals or if there's a couple I haven't done!
I read something that the patch now has the trophy require 29 out of 30 so maybe that will help? You might have a better shot now

Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe this already has replaced A Crack in Time as my favourite game in the franchise.....

Insomniac insomniac insomniac, what kind of sorcery you guys used to create this gem of magic?

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
DUDE. How is this image running at 60fps on this hardware. I am consistently floored by this game. I'm almost 40 years old and somewhat jaded on "graphical leaps", and Insomniac has made me feel like a kid again with this masterful technical display.

Performance RT is legitimate wizardry

I just keep walking around this robot (and this room), in awe (minor location spoilers still early game)

ara

Oct 26, 2017
There could be a greater variety of enemies that also mix up combat. I haven't had to employ much strategy a lot of the time. You can let your passive weapons do a lot of the work (only on medium, though I'll replay it on the next one up).

You can easily clear any and every encounter with Mr. Fungi, the sprinkler weapon and Gloves of Doom on the hardest difficulty too. Honestly, as someone who always gravitates towards pet classes in (action/hack'n'slash) RPGs, I absolutely love the "passive" weapons in this game. GoD in particular is just so much fun.

On planet 2, its impossible to get everything during the sidequest, right? I'm flying around on a mount and there are some things that I have no idea how to reach still.

Yeah, you'll return to that planet for a bit later on.

Oct 28, 2017

I read something that the patch now has the trophy require 29 out of 30 so maybe that will help? You might have a better shot now

Once you collect 45, the mount somehow gets an ability to
breathe fire, allowing you to collect the rest. I had to Google that shit. It was really annoying.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is neat to look at, but I found Miles Morales on the PS5 to be more visually impressive and immersive. Then again, Horizon Zero Dawn and Last of Us Part 2 really set the bar visually.

The gameplay is repetitive. From the first scene of the game, to even now in Savali, it's just:
  • Hold down R2 and jump.
  • Switch to another weapon.
  • Hold down R2 and jump.
  • Clear out arena.
  • Go to waypoint.
  • Clear out arena.
  • Cut scene.
  • The Rifts are just short-cuts that save you a few seconds of jumping.

The cut scenes themselves offer the best entertainment, but 5 hours into it, I'm not sure what the story is anymore.

The game is classic R&C though. I think I was just caught up in the buzz and the positivity here to make me think this was great gameplay e.g. Returnal and Astrobot - the free demo.

I'm just finishing to collect trophies now. I have little motivation to go to the next planet. I'm instead finding the necessary collectibles to get the trophies needed.

6.5 out of 10

You can be incredibly reductive and break any game down to a small loop like that.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Once you collect 45, the mount somehow gets an ability to
breathe fire, allowing you to collect the rest. I had to Google that shit. It was really annoying.
Thank you. Got that not too long after I posted. I spend so much wasted time on one of the high up ones not able to get it and just moved along. Not a fan of that decision but at least I know now

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Well, almost all done, seems like I'm headed for the final area. Might as well stretch this out a bit more and grind all the weapons to level 5 in the arena.

Speaking of the arena, it's kinda boring in this, huh? It's been a LONG TIME since I played the earlier games in the series, but I vaguely recall the PS2 entries at least having a lot more variety to their arena stuff. The arena does pretty much nothing with the rift stuff.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody play this game on an LG CX? What brightness setting did you guys settle for? At default 50 brightness I have an obvious black crush:

TjN1ih8.png

Brightness 100:

2UN7ijQ.png

It feels like I suffer a loss of information with anything below 100 brightness.

EDIT: I just found this thread on Reddit:

HDR broken in Performance and Performance RT modes??

It suggests turning off 120 Hz in the PS5 menu to fix the issue. I'll try that and report back.

Maybe have a look at these settings. Hopefully it helps.

He goes through some of the HDR set-up. He has other videos with the recommended settings for a CX.

Oct 27, 2017
I checked all the assists and accessibility features. Is there no way to make the run the default move speed?

I find having to click L3 annoyingly repetitive since this is a game that has such high mobility to begin with

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Those fucking teases, dammit Isomaniac. Make the crossover a reality already!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super glad we have you around to correct us when we're impressed by things.
DF just dropped a video that well....backs up what I said, lol. With an example of what I was talking about how I fell. Wont dwell on it here anymore since there is a thread about the DF video.

Lets just say later gen games are gonna be mind blowing.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the reports of the crashing makes me hella nervous to buy this game.

I had problems with Call of Duty and Miles Morales at launch and I did not enjoy it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I think Rift Apart is the prettiest "just keep running forward in a straight line, doing combat after combat after combat" game that I've ever played.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm about 4 hours in at the moment and I just popped in here to say... HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS GAME IS SO GOD DAMN GORGEOUS IT LOOKS LIKE A MOTHER FUCKING MOVIE HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

but seriously this is by far the best looking game I have ever played and since the game mechanics feel even more refined and smooth since the last game it's super fun to play as well

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
Just finished the second planet. Such good fun so far, fantastic visuals and just a pleasure to play. Not had any real issues bar a save sync issue.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
On the second planet (first as rivet) can you access all areas or is it something i need to come back to? Some of these areas seem unreachable and I'm not sure if i should continue to look for ways or if it's just something i don't get access till later anyway.

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The trophy for beating the game glitched for me, hopefully they fix that, doesn't seem too common.
On the second planet (first as rivet) can you access all areas or is it something i need to come back to? Some of these areas seem unreachable and I'm not sure if i should continue to look for ways or if it's just something i don't get access till later anyway.
You can't access it all initially.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I had both on auto, now I changed it to limited/limited but I see no improvement.

120 Hz disabled, 50 brightness:

U4qR9De.jpg

100 Brightness:

6YimprL.jpg

I'm just curious what setting everybody is playing at on the LG CX and whether you got the obvious black crush at default brightness too.

I'm playing on a CX with Brightness at 50 and I don't have black crush.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Played a few hours in and only problem I have with the game is every time there seems to be a gap whether it be in crates, rocks or anything, ratchet will just float. This has also led to me constantly getting stuck in the environment quite a few times. It can be annoying but helps that the game loads in like 2 seconds when I restart checkpoint. Still hopefully a patch can fix, has anybody else had similar issues?

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone help me put or guide onto game sharing? The problem I have is, I own this game. With my PS5 which is mine. Now my friend entered my account on his ps5 and hit offline and console sharing enable. But if I lose internet connection. It'll let me play offline games for a certain amount of time. And then ask me to connect to the internet agin. I want my friend to be able to play my games. But I don't want to lose being able to play offline.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Best Buy messed up my delivery and I won't be getting it until Monday. Is the 60RT mode the way to play the game?