• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The Kinda Funny review is absolutely glowing.

For those who haven't seen it.

Constant praise from everyone, with Andy saying it might be Insomniac's greatest game ever and Parris (who hosts an Xbox podcast and has always been very deep in that community but never biased) saying it's the best game of 2021 so far and perhaps proof that Insomniac is the greatest developer in the world at the moment.

I hope Sony is going to let them go to town with PSVR2.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I don't really get the price complaint, even if it's just 10 hours (which is on the minimum side it seems) it's still just $7/hour of entertainment, of which you can also replay.

I spend more on food sometimes tbh :b
Personally, I'm just happy to have a game that isn't going to take 40 hours in some open world setting.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
da65w7g-45f90da3-e630-4ca4-9726-1a316cb6c1a6.gif

Yeah Dishonored 2 is more impressive because you have agency over the parallel dimension. Seeing the behind the scenes of A Crack In The Slab mission in the Noclip documentary is cool where they had to manage two maps at the same time:

Then there's still Soul Reaver that managed to do it. Then recently, there was The Medium although it had its limits where you go to a portal to see the different timeline.

Welp I guess I need to play Dishonored 2 now lol.

Rotimi

Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
It's the reason I jumped all over Target's offer of 10% off one electronic game & also used $6.19 dollars off via Target Circle savings. Paying a little over 61 bucks with free shipping and NYC taxes and all. Hope to get it Day one but not backing off this, this is $15 bucks saved!

Physical PS5 is the way to go, brutal to be at Sony's hands if you own PS5 Digital.
Yep physical it is

Osaragi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
was there not reviews that stated it drops quality of textures etc? Kinda funny or something? If not wowsers Insomniac really are legendary!
That's the mode everyone should play then
Well that just made my choice a whole lot easier.

One of the developers working on the game (excuse if I got this wrong) said there are minimal differences in that mode besides resolution, but they aren't too noticable.

He was referring to the lighting, vfx, and scene density portion. Those have primarily been adjusted in specific situations where needed to stay in frame. It's in the mode description more as a disclaimer than anything else -- they're not identical across the entire game, but for the most part you won't notice the difference.

www.resetera.com

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart to have Performance and Performance Ray Tracing modes with the day one patch (short video of of performance RT mode in OP) News

This is a good way to think about it, even if you flip it around. You have twice as much CPU time to use in a 30 fps mode, so you've got to use it for something that isn't happening in the 60 fps mode, or it just goes to waste (and we don't waste CPU time in this house!). That something can't...

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Nah. If into the nexus taught me anything, it's never to play ratchet in 30fps ever. I do t need slightly prettier graphics, 60fps is an absolute must.
Insomniac has come a long way since the PS3, heck even R&C 2016. Spider-Man games are some of the smoothest low input latency experiences you can find on PS4 at 30fps. This game won't feel out of place at 30fps, especially with their great film quality MB tech.
According to IGN ( NXGAMER) Performance RT is 1440p, 60fps with RT and all the bells and whistles.

Nah, there's a noticeable difference between the two modes. It's a great option but the highest resolution mode offers a lot more eye candy.

Lighting, fur tech and RT all looks better comparatively from what I've seen.

Oct 25, 2017
We got our review code yesterday and this is the best looking game i have ever seen. Jesus. It's so fun, too. Really happy there is a 60 RT mode, too. Hopefully it's a common thing through the generation.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac has come a long way since the PS3, heck even R&C 2016. Spider-Man games are some of the smoothest low input latency experiences you can find on PS4 at 30fps. This game won't feel out of place at 30fps, especially with their great film quality MB tech.
Yeah, gonna disagree there. I cannot play Miles Morales at 30FPS. I tried, because this was before 60FPS + RT was a thing and it felt unplayable to me. And that's not an action shooter like R&C is, just looking at a few minutes of Rift footage screams out to me that 30FPS would not be a good time for me. I dont care about some reflection or slightly nicer fur, I need the games to be smooth, so 60FPS wins hands down (and then I actually checked 60FPS footage for Rift and yeah, just backs up my opinion 100%, I'm not wasting my first playthrough playing with a suboptimal frame rate when I dont have to)

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yeah, gonna disagree there. I cannot play Miles Morales at 30FPS. I tried, because this was before 60FPS + RT was a thing and it felt unplayable to me. And that's not an action shooter like R&C is, just looking at a few minutes of Rift footage screams out to me that 30FPS would not be a good time for me. I dont care about some reflection or slightly nicer fur, I need the games to be smooth, so 60FPS wins hands down (and then I actually checked 60FPS footage for Rift and yeah, just backs up my opinion 100%, I'm not wasting my first playthrough playing with a suboptimal frame rate when I dont have to)
That's absolutely fine, glad we have an option for people that hold your opinion.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Miles Morales was one of the better feeling games there are at 30fps. Saying that's unplayable is an exaggeration and a half.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
So how heavily does the game's story rely on the previous games? The only R&C game I've played was the PS4 reboot. It was great, but I never played the original 8 (!) games. I'd hate to be lost in the story or not know who certain characters are and their relationships just because I only recently got into the series. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed Rift Apart isn't a direct sequel to the reboot.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
So how heavily does the game's story rely on the previous games? The only R&C game I've played was the PS4 reboot. It was great, but I never played the original 8 (!) games. I'd hate to be lost in the story or not know who certain characters are and their relationships just because I only recently got into the series. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed Rift Apart isn't a direct sequel to the reboot.
This game is a perfect entry for newcomers, you don't need to play the previous ones

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
It's a continuation of the Future games on PS3. You can watch the cutscenes for these games on YouTube if you wanted to catch up on the story. I'm not sure how necessary it is since I haven't played it yet though. A the very least you'll understand where the dimensionator came from and what it was used for.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017

With all due respect, there's a world of difference between playing it in 30 and 60 and motion blur felt very intrusive to me with the former.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017

You don't need any previous knowledge to follow the main story, while secondary characters don't really get an introduction - but would say that's not a big (if any) issue, especially in a case like yours as the PS4 games does cover that at least somewhat.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
It's a continuation of the Future games on PS3. You can watch the cutscenes for these games on YouTube if you wanted to catch up on the story. I'm not sure how necessary it is since I haven't played it yet though. A the very least you'll understand where the dimensionator came from and what it was used for.
Thanks I might have to watch some videos on it. Especially if the dimensionator has existed prior to this game, since it's so integral to this game's story.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
I have moved back and forth between Fidelity and Performance RT on Miles Morales. Fidelity is really nice and OK gameplay-wise as long as you didn't play in 60FPS just before. Your brain really adjusts and after 5 minutes, you don't pay attention anymore and it's gorgeous. Still, the Performance RT mode is my preferred option. It does reduce a bit the crispness in motion and make some details slightly blurrier, and there are some visible reduction for some lighting effects when you pay attention but it feels SO GOOD and with minimal sacrifice, it really is a blessing.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit! After this game there's NO EXCUSES for companies to not bring 1440p60fps with Ray Tracing on the PS5. Performance modes with RT will be the best thing on this gen!

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
With all due respect, there's a world of difference between playing it in 30 and 60 and motion blur felt very intrusive to me with the former.
There's a difference, a notable one at that. But I'm not one to scoff at a good 30fps implementation with all the bells and whistles.

I just don't carry the same mindset as some on here, the amount of great games one would miss is too large for my liking.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not talking about performance, are you?

Anything in motion looks better when the framerate is higher. I thought this was common knowledge?
Everything blurring on the screen the second anything moves, like say the camera, which is a major issue with 30fps games. 4K doesn't mean much if the game is only 30fps. It can only look good in still screenshots at that point. The higher performance literally enhances how the game looks while it is being played.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gamersyde's review has some mighty fine screenshots.

www.gamersyde.com

We are certainly to blame, but since the English-speaking community is definitely wearing thin, we cannot afford to put a lot of time and efforts in making video reviews in English anymore, at least not all the time. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will

We are certainly to blame, but since the English-speaking community is definitely wearing thin, we cannot afford to put a lot of time and efforts in making video reviews in English anymore, at least not all the time. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will be officially out in a few days now and we...

image_ratchet_clank_rift_apart-43400-4503_0009.jpg

image_ratchet_clank_rift_apart-43400-4503_0006.jpg

image_ratchet_clank_rift_apart-43400-4503_0002.jpg

In motion, it looks far worse.
Indeed.
In motion, the framerate's smoothness is what you're going to notice the most. Exactly what fine detail only possible by the wonders of 4K do people think they're gonna see with the camera spinning around smearing everything with motion blur.