• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I was definitely hoping for more from the rifts than the trailers (and now reviews) implied. Not expecting, but hoping. Everything that's going on behind the scenes to make the general experience smoother and offer more visual variety without any costs is cool and obviously not possible on last gen consoles. But putting something in the player's hands for them to actually use and play around with in a meaningful way makes a big difference.
Hopefully they can play around with it more in the next Ratchet game, if they find a way to incorporate dimensions/ rift's into their next game.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Great reviews and excited to play this.

Will have to be in a few months time, though. The cheapest I can find this for at the moment is £60 :/
tenor.gif

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Are any other 3D games able to transfer you to totally new worlds in a couple of seconds? I don't mind if it's way less detail, as pretty much every game right now is less detail than R&C Rift Apart. I just honestly don't know any.
You keep saying "totally new worlds", but that is really just about all of the assets, mostly in the background, in this game. The gameplay would be the same, if it was just a different configuration of platforms, that weren't using all new assets.

There aren't games that do this.. but it's not really because they "can't" do it. You could even have totally different looking assets, but wouldn't have as much RAM for what's currently in view.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually somewhat embarrassing to admit, but I have never completed a single R&C game and I have owned and played everyone.
So while I really, really feel like I should pick this up as it is clearly a showcase for the PS5 and I am fortunate enough to own one, I also cannot help but wonder if it will be the same thing.
I just have always felt like they were games aimed more at kids and while I love the visuals, the gameplay has always ultimately gotten repetitive to me.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
You keep saying "totally new worlds", but that is really just about all of the assets, mostly in the background, in this game. The gameplay would be the same, if it was just a different configuration of platforms, that weren't using all new assets.

There aren't games that do this.. but it's not really because they "can't" do it. You could even have totally different looking assets, but wouldn't have as much RAM for what's currently in view.
Yeah, but you understand the importance of an environment. It doesn't matter that gameplay is the same between worlds in this particular game. You're shifting between different worlds in almost the blink of an eye. THAT's what's next-gen. Not that they thought of a next-gen gameplay mechanic to go along with it. And it's being done purely because they're using an SSD. I have a hard time imagining that shifting between new worlds this fast is something that developers COULD have done in the past but just never thought of it or wanted to all this time.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah, but you understand the importance of an environment. It doesn't matter that gameplay is the same between worlds in this particular game. You're shifting between different worlds in almost the blink of an eye. THAT's what's next-gen. Not that they thought of a next-gen gameplay mechanic to go along with it. And it's being done purely because they're using an SSD. I have a hard time imagining that shifting between new worlds this fast is something that developers COULD have done in the past but just never thought of it or wanted to all this time.
Well I'm talking about gameplay...

I love how fast the PS5 is... like I love that fast travel can be near instant.. but it's not changing gameplay, is the focus on my posts.

Seaweed

alt account
Banned
May 27, 2021
This is actually somewhat embarrassing to admit, but I have never completed a single R&C game and I have owned and played everyone.
So while I really, really feel like I should pick this up as it is clearly a showcase for the PS5 and I am fortunate enough to own one, I also cannot help but wonder if it will be the same thing.
I just have always felt like they were games aimed more at kids and while I love the visuals, the gameplay has always ultimately gotten repetitive to me.

yeah, I found Crack In Time repetitive, too. Maybe the game isn't for me anymore but at least it looks super fun.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
While I still plan on picking it up, can't say I'm not disappointed to read the Rift hopping wasn't utilized more during gameplay and is primarily focused around setpieces. Would've loved to see some Portal style puzzles utilizing the Rifts, maybe during Clank sections. For a game with Rift in the title you'd think more would have been done there. Based on some of the review quotes I wonder how many of the total Rift segments we've already glimpsed from the trailers :/

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
This up and down 88 89, lol, hoping it'll passed to 90, bit staying at 89 would be great.

Anyway, great video review by GrizGaming and some great gameplay footage at highest difficulty, albeit some areas might be spoilers though.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Guys you have to download the uncompressed video from gamersyde, it looks absurd, so much better than yt plugged into my oled.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
For someone who is new to the series and is only playing through Ratchet 2016 for the first time now, is there anything I should read or watch to recap the story of previous games before jumping into this?

tmac456

May 27, 2020
So, yeah, looks like the rift thing is as surface level as the trailers indicated. So they didn't really lie about that, but it's a bit unfortunate. I had hoped that they would try to change up the gameplay with it.

That being said, it's still "next-gen." It still wouldn't be possible on other generations, and it still is a game designed around the use of it. If nothing else, it's a proof of concept - Insomniac is saying, "this is what we can do with this tech, so watch out for what we make next with it."

Must be nice to not have to worry about game prices and feeling like you got your money's worth.

Boy you sure took that and ran with it, didn't ya?

I don't "worry" about the costs of a hobby. It's a part of my entertainment budget and that changes from month to month. What I worry about is the essentials I need day to day. I can guarantee you I'm not going to go to each review thread and make the focus of it about the price tag regardless of what my money situation is.

Last edited:

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Just saying because 10-12 hours (~20 hours for the platinum) isn't "short" for me.

Exactly. Everyone's perceived value of something is different. If someone needs 25-30 hour games to feel like they're getting full value then by all means, to each their own.

This game looks to be in a sweet spot for hours and the production values, by all accounts, are 1st class.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, now I want a PS5 really bad, haha.

R+C is one of my favorite franchises, probably my favorite Sony exclusive. Every game is just so consistently good. The spinoffs arent as good, but I still enjoyed the Tower Defense one, and even liked the multiplayer one OK.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
This up and down 88 89, lol, hoping it'll passed to 90, bit staying at 89 would be great.

Anyway, great video review by GrizGaming and some great gameplay footage at highest difficulty, albeit some areas might be spoilers though.

Any key points to list? Does the enemy AI get more agressive/smarter? IIRC previous games don't do much in that regard in terms of the AI itself getting better but I could be trippin.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Any word on difficulty levels?
The difficulty descriptions were in Accessibility article.

support.insomniac.games

What Accessibility options does Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart feature?

Insomniac Games is dedicated to creating games that have a positive and lasting influence on people’s lives. This includes developing games that are playable and inclusive for people from a wide ra...

Difficulty
  • Rookie Recruit – Perfect for beginners.
  • Rebel Agent – A balanced choice for more experienced players.
  • Resistance Leader – For those who seek a greater challenge.
  • Renegade Legend – For those who wish to battle the most brutal foes.
Don't know what kind of difference in AI though...

I guess in the video, they're more aggressive & maybe faster? 🤷

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
well looks like there are 4 difficulty modes XD its probably just like other recent Ratchet games
The difficulty descriptions were in Accessibility article.

support.insomniac.games

What Accessibility options does Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart feature?

Insomniac Games is dedicated to creating games that have a positive and lasting influence on people’s lives. This includes developing games that are playable and inclusive for people from a wide ra...

Don't know what kind of difference in AI though...

I guess in the video, they're more aggressive & maybe faster? 🤷

Thank you! I hope the hardest difficulty mode is very difficult!

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
In that video, the reviewer played the arena with highest difficulty and it gave him Returnal moments or something like that.

So I guess that's something.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
In that video, the reviewer played the arena with highest difficulty and it gave him Returnal moments or something like that.

So I guess that's something.

Interesting lol.

As cool and welcome as the new movement option seems, I couldn't help but have some concern about enemy AI. The new movement might make it feel more easy than I'd like if they didn't step it up to accommodate.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
So, yeah, looks like the rift thing is as surface level as the trailers indicated. So they didn't really lie about that, but it's a bit unfortunate. I had hoped that they would try to change up the gameplay with it.

That being said, it's still "next-gen." It still wouldn't be possible on other generations, and it still is a game designed around the use of it. If nothing else, it's a proof of concept - Insomniac is saying, "this is what we can do with this tech, so watch out for what we make next with it."

I'll just quote myself from earlier in the thread:

To be fair, we could gather as much from the footage that was released. People who set themselves up as if the rift-thing would be as flexible as Soul Reaver's 'realm shifting' letting them switch/jump dimensions at will only have to blame themselves. Like you already said; the actual mechanics aren't new. The amount of polish; detail and scale of things is excellent tho and I can't wait to play it myself. And we're still just 6 months in the new generation. If anything, Rift Apart is a great showcase of things to come.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
For someone who is new to the series and is only playing through Ratchet 2016 for the first time now, is there anything I should read or watch to recap the story of previous games before jumping into this?
So from what I understand, there'll be some continuation of plot threads from Crack in Time and Into the Nexus, but I don't think it'll be to the point where you won't know what's going on/ I assume you'd be able to catch on pretty quick on what those plot points are without having played the games. I haven't played them yet, I do want to before I play Rift Apart, but I remember seeing a story cutscene during hte previews that seemed to touch on this.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I'm playing through ToD right now, feels somewhat important if you want to get some of the references (the origin of the dimensionator, Rusty Pete references etc.)

The estetic and general "this is next-gen!" vibe is also very reminiscent of ToD. I'm still genuienly impressed by it!

Thinking of finishing ACiT and Into the Nexus, but I'd have to buy the latter... I think I'd be fine with skipping QFB though.

Unfortunately, I barely played the original trilogy... (Finished the PS4 remake of the first game though... Yes, I know, I know...).

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Great reviews. Sounds like it will take a slow-arse, explore everything and take a shitload of photos person like myself 20-25 hours or so to Platinum, which is perfect for me 👌

I played through the game on the hardest setting, and it was pretty neat. You really do have to use the entirety of your arsenal - even the weapons you usually wouldn't - to get through the toughest encounters.

Hey, just wondering what your thoughts are on the different graphics modes and what you think of Fidelity and Performance RT modes if you tried them?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Can someone confirm if you can choose who to play as regardless of planet in the post game? Also can you play the arena mode as Ratchet? I've only seen Rivet arena mode gameplay.

I understand locking the planets to each character during the story but it'd suck if you can't play through say Nefarious city as Rivet

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Same here. I get bored of them pretty quick

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Hey, just wondering what your thoughts are on the different graphics modes and what you think of Fidelity and Performance RT modes if you tried them?
95% of my time with the game was on Fidelity mode due to how the day 1 patch which included the 60 FPS modes came out just two or three days ago (I'd already written my review at that point). It looked absurd, amazing. The 30 FPS didn't feel slow - only in retrospect.

I've been playing with the Performance RT mode since then, though, while capturing footage on my 1080p monitor. The performance boost is great for exploding things quickly, but the downgrade in level of details is very noticeable - particularly during cutscenes. Ratchet's fur is the biggest tell.

I'll probably stick with the Performance RT mode from now on since I'm mostly skipping cutscenes and focusing on combat, but I'd honestly recommend going Fidelity for your first playthrough.

Mar 19, 2020
I'm glad there is a PS5 shortage otherwise I'd be tempted to get one just for this haha. Insomniac is one of the few developers that can motivate me to get hardware consistently.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing with the Performance RT mode since then, though, while capturing footage on my 1080p monitor. The performance boost is great for exploding things quickly, but the downgrade in level of details is very noticeable - particularly during cutscenes. Ratchet's fur is the biggest tell.
Do you mean just the resolution, or are there missing details, like worse fur geometry, lower LOD or something like that? Can you show any screens to compare?
I doubt I'd be able to really see the resolution difference on a 1080p TV, so if that's the only difference, I'll probably just stick with performance/RT.