• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Guys should I bother playing the 2016 PS4 game or nah?

Also I have the PS3 (ps2 remasters) collection but I didn't get a chance to play them ahead of time.

I guess I'll play Rift Apart and then later play the whole series. I wonder if it's gonna mess up their stories and such.
Nah, all it'll do is give you a shaky background to the setting. Probably served better reading a plot synopsis since there's some major differences with the 2016 game.

edit: What I will say is that the 2016 game is great as a standalone adventure and I can't fault it as a game or even the story that much. It's just very much a different story to the original continuity.

Oct 30, 2017
Getting the Platinum for Ratchet 2016 probably took me thirty hours. So if this game gives me that much enjoyment, I'm golden.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
The length debate happens every fucking time for narrative style games. How many times does someone beat a game in line 6 hours and then it comes out they were playing on the easiest setting, skipping all the side content and even things like cut scenes. Not saying it's the case with R&C but some people burn through games at lightning speed while I'll take twice as long covering similar ground, if not more.
Yeah difficulty and length is something I straight up ignore people on because most times it's wildly off. Reviewers I trust more but random ass forum goers might as well be background noise.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
There's a patch downloading for me right now that 3.079 GB. The game install is 33.298 GB for me, pre patch.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
2016 is a very fun game especially with the 60fps PS5 update, but it was also a budget title for the movie. Play it after rift apart if you're jonesing for more ratchet and clank but keep the budget in mind.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Nah, all it'll do is give you a shaky background to the setting. Probably served better reading a plot synopsis since there's some major differences with the 2016 game.
Ok but I can go all fresh with Rift Apart and then maybe later catch up on all previous entries?

I mean there are so many games! Lol I barely can game 2hr per day 😅

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
The length debate happens every fucking time for narrative style games. How many times does someone beat a game in line 6 hours and then it comes out they were playing on the easiest setting, skipping all the side content and even things like cut scenes. Not saying it's the case with R&C but some people burn through games at lightning speed while I'll take twice as long covering similar ground, if not more.
The person near the start of the thread said they 100% the game on the hardest difficult in 10 hours. SO yeah it sounds like this one is short.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
High 80s just where most expected it! Insomniac were always one of the safest bet to make great games, they just now do it on a yearly bases lol

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Insomniac undefeated. Seems like the perfect length for an experience like this too. Looking forward to the good vibes this weekend!

(Do check out Returnal if you get the chance in the future though, was not expecting to enjoy that game as much as I did)
Thanks but I'm not sure if it's my type of game. I don't have the patience anymore to keep going through the same sections and repeatedly dying with long runs. Ratchet is by far more my style. I have all of them on the PS3.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Sony should honestly license out temporal injection to all PS5's devs the same way they did Oodle. It's incredible.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
There is one collectible you earn by collecting the gold bolts that put a HUGE grin on my face and I am so glad it is there.

It's the weird crossover but it just feels right.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is right where I thought it was going to land (with the hope that it might creep into the 90/91 range over time). Can't wait to play this weekend!

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The person near the start of the thread said they 100% the game on the hardest difficult in 10 hours. SO yeah it sounds like this one is short.

The R&C games were never huge time sinks, 12-15 hours on a first playthrough was the norm. I think I put 30 hours into a couple of them and that was after collecting every item and replaying the game a couple times through. That said 100% for the Platinum seems really crazy and doesn't seem to mesh with most folks experience.

hog

Mar 9, 2021

edit: What I will say is that the 2016 game is great as a standalone adventure and I can't fault it as a game or even the story that much. It's just very much a different story to the original continuity.
Wait so is this a sequel to the 2016 game or the original continuity?

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I know that buying games at full price is a big deal for a lot of people, myself included, but I hope that we can eventually move away from expecting every single AAA game to be 30+ hours. So many games these days feel like fantastic 15-25 hour games that are stretched out to be twice the length with tedious filler content. I enjoy games that give me a lot of bang for my buck but I don't need every single game to be so fucking long. A Crack In Time is considered to be one of the best games in this series and it's also a 10-15 hour game. Length =/= quality.

I wish i could frame this.

I'm so sick of game padding since the open world formula became more standard. Pubs bragging about the length of a game is almost as big of a red flag as them bragging about the map size

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Guys should I bother playing the 2016 PS4 game or nah?

Also I have the PS3 (ps2 remasters) collection but I didn't get a chance to play them ahead of time.

I guess I'll play Rift Apart and then later play the whole series. I wonder if it's gonna mess up their stories and such.
I replayed all the main Ratchet games, and the remake of 1 ahead of Rift's release. If you can only play one of the two versions - play the original R&C. The remake does a great job of remaking the gameplay but butchers the story. Basically completely cuts Ratchet's story arc completely (and Clanks and Quarks now I think of it) and replaces it with a much worse story.

But honestly, aside from some Easter Eggs I'm sure you'll be fine to just jump into the new game. The only games so far that have had a real cliffhanger plot wise from game to game is the PS3 games.

If you can, when you have the time, absolutely play through the PS2 and PS3 main series, they still hold up excellently (especially 3, ToD and CiT)

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Another Goty candidate for Sony this year!! Enjoyed the heck out of Returnal, can't wait to give this a try as well after I finish RE Village

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
e3xmsetwqai7dmi9wjcw.jpg

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I am on the assumption that the game has Challenge mode and further upgrading of weapons.

It the above is true people concerned about the 10 hour play time should not be.

If you are a fan of Ratchet you know you have to play it twice. Challenge mode makes it slightly harder and you get a raised level cap on the weapons.

The last few games had a trophy to complete Challenge mode and fully unlock the weapons. This game does not have those trophies so it's quicker and easier to Platinum.

With 10 hours as consecutive you could get 15 to 18 hours out of it.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
As someone who disliked the 2016 reboot for loosing all the charm the original game had in favor of cookie cutter movie plot, I really hope Rift Apart lives up to the hype.

A few reviewers I respect seem jazzed, but I'll probably hold off until I can get TGBS's opinion on it.

Oct 30, 2017
I knew it would be 89 MC...

Reading the reviews I'm really surprised and puzzled why it didn't score 90+ MC, the game is being praised like crazy.

Anyhow the franchise has always been one of the greatest and best in the industry, and this is going to be the shining jewel on a perfect shaped crown.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
High 80s just where most expected it! Insomniac were always one of the safest bet to make great games, they just now do it on a yearly bases lol

They used to do it on a yearly basis on the ps3. They pumped out R+C and resistance all while getting outstanding reviews. Now that they're in house with Sony I expect we'll be seeing that level of success again as we've seen on the early goings here.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Ok but I can go all fresh with Rift Apart and then maybe later catch up on all previous entries?

I mean there are so many games! Lol I barely can game 2hr per day 😅
Well, there's not a huge amount of relevant story in the first three games, and all you need to play after that to be up to speed is Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty (4/5 hours long), A Crack in Time and Into the Nexus (also 4/5 hours long).

You should be able to jump into the new one fairly easy.
:
- Ratchet is the last lombax in the universe, the rest fled to their own dimension using The Dimensionator to escape Emperor Tachyon (Tools of Destruction).
- Clank is a faulty robot that was secretly created by the Zoni as a new caretaker for the Great Clock, a giant artifact that essentially functions as a band aid on the space-time continuum and can technically be used as a time machine. (Tools of Destruction / A Crack in Time)
- Dr Nefarious is a robot that hates all organic life. (Up Your Arsenal / A Crack in Time)
- Don't know if they pull anything from Into the Nexus, but there's a dimension called the Nether which is home to a race of purple ectoplasmic entities that are trying to break through into regular dimensions. They're led by a giant beholder-like entity dubbed "Mr Eye" by some of the antagonists from Into the Nexus.

Wait so is this a sequel to the 2016 game or the original continuity?
Standalone adventure in the old continuity.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
Great scores! 89 as I expected.

Excited to play this Friday. Will be good to get away from Outriders for a week.

MisterMyGuy

May 25, 2021
Personally I don't really get the price complaint, even if it's just 10 hours (which is on the minimum side it seems) it's still just $7/hour of entertainment, of which you can also replay.

I spend more on food sometimes tbh :b
Absolutely agree. Plus, there's also the subjective value of entertainment. I would much rather play a beautiful looking artistic video game for 10 hours than watch 10 hours of tv.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Easy Allies review score surprised me because it sounded like an 9 or even 9.5 and they only came out with an 8.5. Interesting.