• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
It's so dumb but hearing some folks finish this thing in 10 hours is hard for me to justify $70

I've loved these games ever since Going Commando, but I may wait for a small sale later in the year

The games are usually pretty focused fairly linear ones so they're a bit brief, but they are a ton of fun as you know. I don't fault anyone for waiting a bit though.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
the game looks great but, going by kotaku's review, it doesn't sound like insomniac used the dimensional stuff to truly mix up the gameplay.

But perhaps more significantly, the entire game is themed around dimensional rifts, yet is set almost entirely in the one dimension. It has that neat, mind-bending gimmick where you pull a local yellow rip around you so as to end up standing on the other side of it (my head never managed to be okay with this, finding it brilliantly disorienting), but that's just a teleport to a nearby point on the same level. There are dimensional pockets to find, but these are just mini-challenge levels to win new armor. Those moments you saw in the trailers, where Ratchet flew through rift after rift after rift into different worlds—they're just for the cutscenes. In the end, you're just planet hopping like last time, only in a different dimension.

It feels like such a weirdly missed opportunity. While this is a superb third-person action game, utterly packed with the same joy as 2016's game plus a few new tricks, it feels weirdly lacking in inspiration. As much as I've hugely enjoyed playing it, and as stunned as I've been by its art, in the end it is just another one: Bigger, prettier, with more moves and weapons, but no new underlying force I can find that might have propelled its creation. Given the opportunities dimension-hopping could have provided, this lack of originality feels strange, especially with the PS5's tech. It shows that it could do it—there are levels split between two times, and you jump back and forth between them, the world redrawn around you as you play, no loading, no hesitation. I badly wanted to do the same things in dimensional rifts.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Any word on whether this entry is a decent starting point for somebody who's never played the other games in the franchise?
Easy Allies review mentions that this is a great starting place for newcomers. The story covers some basic themes that should resonate regardless of your past experience with the franchise. Of course, I'm sure the game is full of references and easter eggs that would enhance the experience for fans of the series but that's unavoidable at this point.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I really really tried but couldn't score a PS5. Sorry R&C. We'll met again, some sunny day.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know that buying games at full price is a big deal for a lot of people, myself included, but I hope that we can eventually move away from expecting every single AAA game to be 30+ hours. So many games these days feel like fantastic 15-25 hour games that are stretched out to be twice the length with tedious filler content. I enjoy games that give me a lot of bang for my buck but I don't need every single game to be so fucking long. A Crack In Time is considered to be one of the best games in this series and it's also a 10-15 hour game. Length =/= quality.

Couldn't have said it better. I am still going to wait for a sale as I still think $70 is too much for any game nowadays. I have no issue with the game's length, though. It's definitely on my wishlist now.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I'm replaying Tools of Destruction... And, I'm ashamed to admit that I never played A Crack in Time (never played the original trilogy unfortunately). I've bought it though and I intend to finish it as well!

But even just replaying ToD, it's a much better game than Ratchet on PS4.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
the game looks great but, going by kotaku's review, it doesn't sound like insomniac used the dimensional stuff to truly mix up the gameplay.
Yeah, the game looks excellent no doubt but I was really expecting them to do more with the rifts after the initial trailers? It just looks like a fancy version of the teleport system that every VR game uses... not so much an unprecedented feature only possible thanks to the SSD.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
"Ratchet has always been a series about exploration and combat, and thanks to the dip-free stability of the 30fps Fidelity mode, the latter in particular has never felt so good."

This quote from the Ign review cracked me up.

This makes me question if that person has ever played any R&C game before the PS4 one. Or really knows what 60 fps is.

You can say 30 fps is fine for yourself, but the rest of that statement just isn't fitting in with reality.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Sounds like it's real short and not much different from previous games.
Well that's been R&C for years. They're great games but you know what you're getting. But it's been 4 years since the last one and I'm craving this one. I never expected them do deliver anything else than the standard formula here.

Stop the thread derail and back and forth hostilities

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This is a thread to discuss the reviews for Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. Lets stop derailing the thread with back and forth hostilities or posts from other threads.

MisterMyGuy

May 25, 2021
This game looks absolutely amazing. Everything from the gameplay to the art direction is truly stunning. I have three chapters to go in Horizon and then I'm diving into this beauty first thing Monday!

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Most of the RC games are about 10-14 hours length unless you want the platinum trophy.

The games have not been known to be long.

But from the reviews the game seems like this may be the best one yet so excited for Friday even more than before.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Hmm most reviews say it's about 10-12 hours for main campaign and about 20 hours for 100%. Must be an really outstanding player who achieves 100% on hardest difficulty in half that time. In single player games i'm a very slow gamer so it will have good length for me.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Great scores but that game length is kinda making me apprehensive now. It's slightly longer than Miles Morales and you want me to pay $20 more? I don't know.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Andy Cortez review intro moment during KindaFunny Review was just the best. They ask him what did he think and he, at first, has no words... Man, videogames!

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Weird, as the digital foundry video showed ratchet/rivet walking into new dimensions/areas through portals in the stages:

4:52

yeah but it looks like the portals that lead to different areas are meant to be optional side areas where you can find new items while the yellow portals that are seen in regular combat areas seem to only be used for teleportation. the yellow portals seem to just be a more limited version of blink from dishonored.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
12 hours to finish and 20 hours to platinum just sounds so damn ideal

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Great scores but that game length is kinda making me apprehensive now. It's slightly longer than Miles Morales and you want me to pay $20 more? I don't know.
If it's anything like R&C 2016, there's a lot of replay value. I musta beat 2016 5 or 6 times and just had a blast each time by mixing things up with the weapons and whatnot.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone chime in if this game is closer to the ps4 reboot or more like the past entries when it comes to additional gameplay scenerios and adding puzzles etc. I've only played the remake but I heard the other games had way more going on. Hopefully this is more like the past games.