• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Absolutely incredible. Build appears to be newer? The particle effects are absolutely next-gen along with the amount of animation happening on screen between random NPCs running away, reacting to R&C, enemies and enemy variety, explosions.. destruction... particles.... absolutely insane.

I like how those metal dog enemies leave behind their metal shells after getting bonked by Ratchet's mallet. The destruction doesn't seem like it fades into obscurity either which adds quite a lot to the immersion. The image quality and lighting are also on point.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
rac-rasnkpe.png

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Looks great. Where does this fit in the R&C line? I'm not sure if the PS4 remake was a reboot or just a remake. Also, did they change rachets voice actor?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love me some Ratchet and Clank, but mechanically the game looks exactly like every ratchet and clank but with level bouncing....

To be fair, it's not like Insomniac haven't tried taking Ratchet and Clank to other genres/game styles. It just seemed like those games didn't perform nearly as well (All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault were pretty cool games). I think they figure that the fanbase seems to love classic R&C gameplay, and they're very good at it, so that's what they run with. Personally, I love the R&C "formula." It's always about the fun weapons and planets to explore, and the characters and worlds are so charming, I'm content with sticking with what ain't broke. A Crack in Time added a lot of wonderful refinements and improvements to the franchise (making solo Ratchet fun to play as, the time puzzles with Clank, etc), and I don't think long running franchises always have to shake up the core foundation of the series to be enjoyable (though it's always a pleasant surprise when that happens and works; ie, RE4, GoW PS4, Metroid Prime, etc).

I'm on board with whatever Insomniac decides to do with the series going forward, but there are certain elements that I feel are so core to what makes R&C, well, R&C, that I'd hope they keep those elements in each new title they create. Platforming, unique, upgradable weapons, and visually compelling planets to traverse. Keep those elements, and expand on the rest (which it looks like the dimension shifting is the latest new mechanic they're playing around with).

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah I don't want them to change the core gameplay until it doesn't look like Ratchet anymore. I'm much more interested to see how the planets we visit change, & the returning ones from old games. They're gonna be bigger & more detailed than ever.

and I'm interested in seeing what kinda puzzle sets we get in this. I like that they always change it up with the puzzles.

Yeah, I wonder what kind of Clank gameplay they'll have for us this time around. I loved what they did with him in ACiT.

I have never played the earlier ones, but loved the remake/film tie-in. Are they that different/better?

The mainline installments are much better. Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, Tools of Destruction, and A Crack in Time are all essential.

Looks good, I wish R&C games had more platforming. It is the best launch window game (includes both PS5 and XSX) that I know off though.

I always shake my head when people call it a platformer. It's so much more focused on shooting than anything else. When it does throw in platforming and puzzle elements though I always enjoy them.

Looks nice but not wow. Maybe because it's still the same formula?

Maybe. I'm just glad they didn't go open world though.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Insomniac putting out two games within like four months of each other is just pure insanity.
This def bodes well if devs can push games out like this. Kind of insane to see.
To be fair, it's not like Insomniac haven't tried taking Ratchet and Clank to other genres/game styles. It just seemed like those games didn't perform nearly as well (All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault were pretty cool games). I think they figure that the fanbase seems to love classic R&C gameplay, and they're very good at it, so that's what they run with. Personally, I love the R&C "formula." It's always about the fun weapons and planets to explore, and the characters and worlds are so charming, I'm content with sticking with what ain't broke. A Crack in Time added a lot of wonderful refinements and improvements to the franchise (making solo Ratchet fun to play as, the time puzzles with Clank, etc), and I don't think long running franchises always have to shake up the core foundation of the series to be enjoyable (though it's always a pleasant surprise when that happens and works; ie, RE4, GoW PS4, Metroid Prime, etc).

I'm on board with whatever Insomniac decides to do with the series going forward, but there are certain elements that I feel are so core to what makes R&C, well, R&C, that I'd hope they keep those elements in each new title they create. Platforming, unique, upgradable weapons, and visually compelling planets to traverse. Keep those elements, and expand on the rest (which it looks like the dimension shifting is the latest new mechanic they're playing around with).
I totally agree with this. Refinements to a formula work just as much as trying to do something differ every time.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
To be fair, it's not like Insomniac haven't tried taking Ratchet and Clank to other genres/game styles. It just seemed like those games didn't perform nearly as well (All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault were pretty cool games). I think they figure that the fanbase seems to love classic R&C gameplay, and they're very good at it, so that's what they run with.

Yeah at this point, I've seen Insomniac try to change up the formula and it didn't seem to work for a lot of people. I loved both of those games and would like to see them shake things up again in the future, but it's been like 10 years almost since the last full scale Ratchet & Clank adventure. I need this game and I needed it to be the real follow-up to A Crack in Time. Don't need a complete change of formula right now.

This def bodes well if devs can push games out like this. Kind of insane to see.

Don't forget how many games Insomniac released for the PS3.

Resistance 1-3
Ratchet & Clank Future Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, Into the Nexus, All 4 One, and Full Frontal Assault

Wonder if they'll make as many games this gen ._.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Looks good. I thought we knew this was launch window? Or did I just assume that given the extended trailer in the Sony presentation?

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Looks very pretty, but the rift jumping thing is (based on current evidence) massively over-hyped.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I never seem to see Ratchet reflecting in Clank, which I'd expect to happen in reflections on Clank were raytraced. In any case, the game looks super impressive and really fun. Jumping that quickly and seamlessly between completely different worlds still makes me shake my head in disbelief.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Looks gorgeous, no surprise. The remake on Pro is still one of the best looking games of this gen.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah at this point, I've seen Insomniac try to change up the formula and it didn't seem to work for a lot of people. I loved both of those games and would like to see them shake things up again in the future, but it's been like 10 years almost since the last full scale Ratchet & Clank adventure. I need this game and I needed it to be the real follow-up to A Crack in Time. Don't need a complete change of formula right now.

Don't forget how many games Insomniac released for the PS3.

Resistance 1-3
Ratchet & Clank Future Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, Into the Nexus, All 4 One, and Full Frontal Assault

Wonder if they'll make as many games this gen ._.
9 games from them would be amazing. Hell even 6.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks good. I thought we knew this was launch window? Or did I just assume that given the extended trailer in the Sony presentation?
No, it's new info. The only first-party game with a date attached in the June event was Miles Morales.

Where's that?? Only 1080p on PlayStation YouTube :(
It's 4K for me on PlayStation channel. Are you on Apple? Their devices don't support 4K YT until this Fall.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
That 30fps motion blur is killing me. It's impressive that it looks like you're playing a CG movie though.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
No, it's new info. The only first-party game with a date attached in the June event was Miles Morales.

It's 4K for me on PlayStation channel. Are you on Apple? Their devices don't support 4K YT until this Fall.
okay thanks. I guess I assumed that since R&C had the longest trailer and actually showed gameplay. Good to have confirmation!

s y

Nov 8, 2017
OVBiIOm.jpg

Just noticed the bounced light on ratchets chin and cheeks from his suit :o

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Watched the whole thing now. That was super impressive, the density and effects are amazing. Definetly looks next gen to me.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, will admit the jumping dimensions bits, I'm hoping they aren't frequent. I feel like those would get annoying for me fast. That said, excited to play it.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
great, excellent loading upgrade from first reveal, bitmap is almost imperceptible during loading. i would not be surprised they'd make it even faster...

but where the fuck is Lawrence??!

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really good, probably the best looking next gen game we've seen so far out of all the ones we've seen with actual gameplay.