• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LeroyOctopus

Oct 29, 2017

It seems like it was made either to market Rift Apart or serve as a pilot for a full series. Or both? Very weird this showed up with zero marketing.

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this yesterday but just assumed this was a really old short and ignored it. Weird for it to pop out of nowhere and on a Canadian streaming site.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Should remain a Canada exclusive, you American's don't deserve this.

/s incase someone thinks I'm being serious...

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
Hum, yeah, it's definitely before Rift Apart and it never leaked since 2019? What the Hell ha ha

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
When I was doing freelance at Mainframe/Rainmaker many years ago, I heard rumblings of a series of animated shorts that were supposed to promote the various Playstation IP's, but that project was put on hold when the Ratchet and Clank movie failed at the box office and the company departed from the Sly Cooper project.

I don't know if this R&C serial is related to that production or not, but I would be down if were we would get some fun animated shorts based on various Playstation IP.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
When I was doing freelance at Mainframe/Rainmaker many years ago, I heard rumblings of a series of animated shorts that were supposed to promote the various Playstation IP's, but that project was put on hold when the Ratchet and Clank movie failed at the box office and the company departed from the Sly Cooper project.

I don't know if this R&C serial is related to that production or not, but I would be down if were we would get some fun animated shorts based on various Playstation IP.
The Ratchet movie still bums me out nearly 5 years after I saw it. It had so much potential but it was just, blegh.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a failed pilot
I think this was a short that was mistakenly released early, failed pilots don't usually make it to distributors and the short specifically mentions Nefarious plans and stuff dimensions, space/time continuum, etc., the typical jargon you would expect to hear from a game about dimension hopping.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Visually this seems to look significantly worse than what we've seen of rift. At least from the pics

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Just watch it, it's pretty good.

Most of the humor materials are landing, good animations, amusing references + easter eggs, surprisingly, I liked it & want more.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching it and I found it better than the movie, not by much but its more true to Ratchet than the movie.

Love Dr Nafarious, I had a smile the whole time. All the weapon reference were all fan servicey.

Lack of Laurence for that robot in the movie was a little disappointing.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Weird of this to happen with no fanfare.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this. It was a lot better than I was expecting it to be. Wonder if another episode will drop next week at the same time?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
A Ratchet show could be good
I want to see shows for all these video game mascots. This one in particular needs some of that anti-corporate edge from the early titles though

The negativity from softening of R&C over the years only became apparent to me with the movie (and with the remake, in retrospect). I welcomed it with A Crack in Time, and felt a good balance was achieved there, but the remake and movie removed anything interesting about the character personalities or the plots.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
speaking of Sony mascots, whatever happened to all that Sly Cooper animated stuff?

seems like so many of Sony's animated projects have died recently. lol

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
speaking of Sony mascots, whatever happened to all that Sly Cooper animated stuff?

seems like so many of Sony's animated projects have died recently. lol
it was a movie and then it was turned into an animated series in france or something crazy like that. no idea if it actually came out or not.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is this by Rainmaker or someone else?

EDIT: yea it is. interesting. given Sony's new imitative, they can bring back animated shorts for their IPs. maybe even a series on netflix/hbo max/amazon

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also interested in watching this...

OP
OP
LeroyOctopus

LeroyOctopus

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for this!

I don't think this is actually canon with anything. It has too many inconsistencies with existing Canon. Maybe it's a continuation of the movie, but other than that, I don't see where it could fit in.

Very good short. Writing is sharper than the movie. Animation is a bit too hyperactive for my taste, but it works well enough and might be a symptom of the animators working with a lower budget (I saw a lot recycled assets from the movie). I would watch a whole series of this.

Loved the gags with Qwark's cardboard cutout. Actually pretty much everything with Qwark and Nefarious was pitch perfect (except for the lack of Lawrence for the latter).

Ratchet and Clank themselves were dead on. Clank wanting his free pizza because he just like completing numerical tasks was so cute.

Yeah, this is definitely worth a watch. Hopefully, we figure out what the deal with this is soon and maybe get some more shorts or a series.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought it'd be cool if the Sony mascots had their own animated shows, there's a lot of potential there (mainly the PS2 era)

Griffins22

Oct 30, 2017
Why is it when anyone other than Insomniac makes something R&C related they make Ratchet into a dumbass and kind of a jerk?