• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
p.gif
Essentially, this.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
All of you saying Insomniac is too busy to put together a gameplay demo of Miles Morales have your head in the right place, but also forget that likely the people cutting the footage wont be completely involved in QA / polish for meeting the release.

With how close the game is potentially to being done, they can vary much have a demo video cut togethee. When and where they plan to showcase it is another story...

Here's hoping it's not just longer version of the gameplay we've seen.
I mean, thats exactly what has been announced...

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
You have to give it to Geoff, we thought we were not gonna tune in. Then in he comes with a Playstation Studio's PS5 demo, and now we are all going to show up to the stream. He knows his audience, that's for damn sure XD

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Definitely checking out this event now. Honestly, Ratchet and Clank, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and Demon's Souls are all I need for launch/launch window. I usually look for 3 games releasing on a platform to make me purchase it (and they don't have to be launch titles, just 3 or more games slated for the system to push me to pick one up), and I've been sold on the PS5 since before it was officially confirmed to be coming. Sony has some of my favorite developers of all time producing games for the platform, and Ratchet and Clank is one of my favorite IPs. I'd be stoked if it was a launch title, or a 2020 title, or even an early 2021 title.

Insomniac has two teams, so I'm sure they've been working on these games for a while now. I feel in my gut that this is more a matter of scheduling releases, and not necessarily whether the games are finished or not. I'm sure both titles are in the polishing and bug-fixing stage, and not the "Oh man, we have so many features to add still," phase.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Will only be excited if it also gets uploaded in 4k, so we can properly appreciate the details and analyze it further.

Truth411

Sep 25, 2018
No way RatchetnClank is a launch or Launch window title. The footage from this past June said Pre-Alpha. That means 12-18months out, also add Covid to the mix. Maybe September 2021, Maybe.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
No way RatchetnClank is a launch or Launch window title. The footage from this past June said Pre-Alpha. That means 12-18months out, also add Covid to the mix. Maybe September 2021, Maybe.

A lot of the time, demos are made months in advance for game shows, while the main game is being worked on. For example, when I was QA for Neverwinter Nights 2, we had a separate build that was specifically an E3 demo, and we had to test both the demo build, and the final game. The game released a few months after that, even though the demo was using an earlier version of the game at the time of its public showing. It's more than possible that the demo shown at the PS5 event in June was indeed an earlier alpha build, while the team was still hammering away on the build of the main game. I'm not saying the game is a launch title, but considering that Insomniac has two teams, both of them a pretty healthy size, I wouldn't be surprised if they're targeting 1st quarter 2021. Like I said in my earlier post, I think it's more about scheduling releases to not bump into each other too much than about whether the game is ready for launch.

And believe me, developers will take whatever extra time they can get on their games if possible. But not gonna lie, having Spider-Man, Ratchet, and Demon's Souls among others available by Holiday 2020 would be quite the stocking stuffer for a lot of people. It's a nice bit of variety for launch; open world mega-popular game, family friendly action platformer, and hardcore RPG, and that's just three games out of who knows how many launch titles. I imagine Ratchet and Spidey wouldn't cannibalize each other, though there's bound to be overlap (I mean, I'm a huge Ratchet and Spidey fan, so if they were both launch, I'm getting both at launch; ditto for Demon's Souls).

Personally, I'm making sure I have at least a grand saved up for the PS5 launch, just to cover hardware and software/accessory costs.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is "launch window" anyway? 3 months from release? Anytime before New Years?

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Very excited to see this. Though this does make me wonder about when/if we will get another Song PS5 event anytime soon. Why wouldn't they show this gameplay at their own event if they had one coming in the next couple of weeks?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
What exactly is "launch window" anyway? 3 months from release? Anytime before New Years?
maybe most people's definitions are different, but personally i think of it as what games come out before the end of the first business quarter after launch

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i mean, i get it if thats the only vertical slice they have right now. but just dont show it then? we dont need to see the same thing twice.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
This game seems to be getting more attention than any other R&C game

and deservedly so! this is the most hyped I have been for a Ratchet and Clank since A Crack In Time. the PS4 reboot (kinda) was an awesome installment that revitalized my love for Ratchet.

its like playing a game made by Pixar.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first new full Ratchet title since A Crack in Time. That is nearly 10 years ago.

So people are excited. The re-imagining also increased the fanbase.