• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I haven't played all of the R&C games, but of the ones I have, A Crack in Time was the best one. It's diabolical that it hasn't come out on anything other than the PS3.

Insomniac could release two R&C collections containing three games each on the PS5 if they wanted, and that's not including the original trilogy. There's been a shitload of installments in the franchise at this point.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Out of those A Crack in Time is the best.
Rift Apart is also a Sequel to that Game and Into the Nexus, so if you are interested in some of the story stuff i would recommend those two.
The 2016 Reboot is pretty mediocre in my opinion and you might only like it, if it's your first Ratchet experience.

Jun 20, 2018
I don't know if i'd recommend 2016. It turned out so strangely for me. It's like it was made by people that were familiar with, but did not really understand the original. They miss parts of the narrative and character building out, but then certain events are identical to the original, even though stuff that made them work is no longer there.

I think you'd be fine just going into the new one. If you really want to, play Crack in Time and Into the Nexus, but 3 R&C games in the space of 6 months seems like a recipe for franchise fatigue.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
1. OG trilogy

2. "Future" Quadrilogy:
Tools of Destruction
Quest for Booty*
A Crack in Time
Into the Nexus*
(* smaller entries than the main ones)

= You're set from a story perspective for A Rift Apart.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
A Crack in Time is an amazing game. Next to the standard Ratchet gameplay you have puzzle levels with clank that can get a bit complex. It's also the only R&C that has elaborated space gameplay. You fly around between planets, have dogfights, can listen to space radio stations, collect resources, land on moons that have puzzle/platform levels...
It's the best complete package.

I hope the next R&C incorporates space gameplay again, but since the game is about teleportation portals I wonder if they scrapted the whole spacehip element.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It would be neat to have the PS2 games available. 2 & 3 are incredible imo. 1 is good but the gameplay hasn't aged that well.

Also they should remaster the PS3 games. I haven't played Tools of Destruction and Into the Nexus came out like 1 month or two before PS4's launch.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing all the main canon ones in preparation.
Ratchet and Clank
Ratchet and Clank Going Commando
Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal
Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction
Ratchet and Clank Quest For Booty
Ratchet and Clank A Crack In Time
Ratchet and Clank Into The Nexus
You'll get totally burnt out before the new game mate. I'd play 1 or 2 titles at most.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
original trilogy if you have ps2 access
after that it fell off for me, the decision to go 30fps on an action platformer is still baffling
rift apart will hopefully be a return to form

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
PS now for the PS3 games is using same resolution / framerate are as original game plus video compression? I wish we had a proper remaster.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A Crack In Time is the only game on that list I'd call good and worth playing, with the addendum that I haven't played Into the Nexus (which I imagine is probably solid).

If you're still itching to play more Ratchet after that, pick up the original trilogy and maybe Deadlocked. The remake is pretty disposable, it most likely won't factor into the new game at all, it's an inferior version of the original, and Rift Apart will likely be a lot fresher if you skip it since it doesn't look like RA is making massive strides from the remake in terms of game play, outside of the dimension gimmick.

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All are great IMO. But I have to give special mention to a crack in time , it's top tier.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I'd only play one. They are pretty samey. Crack In Time is enough to get you ready.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'd just play Crack in Time and Nexus. That's enough to get you caught up in the current story/introduce you to the major characters.
Quest for Booty leads into Crack in Time story wise, but it won't really make sense to you because most of the plot up until the final minute more or less is dealing with things from the game before that, and as fas as I remember, Crack in Time recaps the important things during the story anyways. Nexus is also kind of more of a sequel to the first PS3 one rather than Crack in Time, even if it takes place after the latter, when it comes down to story themes and characters.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I'd suggest playing the 2016 game + A Crack in Time.

Cover the big bases while seeing the best of the series & the origin. The 2016 game is a blast, and it still looks remarkable.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
no. the story in these are pretty self contained. also they are serviceable at best.

but you should still play at least a couple of the mainline ones if you can, theyre good fun

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
A Crack in Time is one of the best platformers ever made.

You should play 2016 -> ACiT and you should be good for Rift Apart. If you aren't burnt out, play Into the Nexus as well.

I agree with this. ACiT is on PS Now if you don't have a PS3 hooked up, and the 2016 remake is so smooth gameplay wise. Nexus is super short too, if you're worried about it being overkill.

Oct 31, 2017
I know it's not listed, but I think I'm one of the few who enjoys Tools of Destruction more than Crack in Time. I used to think CiT was one of the best because of the additional air combat in space and because of the great Clank puzzles, and indeed, the Clank puzzles are very cool ways to make the Clank parts not seem superfluous and also give you a break from shooting.

But I think Tools of Destruction has a much better arena mode because I feel the weapons are better. CiT doesn't seem to have a ton of area-of-effect weapons as, say, Up Your Arsenal and Tools and the 2016 remake do, so there are fewer manic ones imo. And in general, it has a better crop of weapons than CiT. I maintain that 2016 would probably be one of the best if it had an arena mode, but I know as a remake of the first, they stuck with the same racing mini-games.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Hmmm never played the Future series. I was just playing Quest for Booty on PS Now and was having a great time. But I'm gonna stop.

Thinking I'll dust off the old PS3 to go back and play Tools of Destruction. I'll do the series justice and go through it chronologically. Very hyped for Rift Apart.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
skip all 4 one but play all the rest. ...you don't have to do it to play a rift apart but all of them are excellent and you should find time to play them.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Play 2016 and A Crack in Time. If you have access to a PS3 then you should pick up the HD Collection and play through the first three games as well. They still hold up incredibly well.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 remake would be what I recommend as it will be the closest in quality and scale to Rift Apart.
If you REALLY want to get the full experience then play everything that launched on PS3 as that's when the story/continuity really kicked in, and where the devs experimented with gameplay the most.
Skip All4one and Full Frontal.

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
Absolutely A Crack in Time. Not only is it the best Ratchet & Clank game, but it is personally one of my favorite games ever made. Top 5, maybe even Top 3. Such a great game in every aspect from start to finish. It will also be very relevant story-wise to Rift Apart too, so that's a bonus.

Play Into the Nexus too if you're still craving more R&C after that. It's about half the length of a standard R&C game, so it should help prevent you from getting burnout before A Rift Apart drops. It's 30 fps sadly, but still fun and has some cool stuff in it. And it will be very relevant story-wise as it takes place immediately before A Rift Apart (and after A Crack in Time).

Maybe watch a synopsis of Tools of Destruction and Quest For Booty. They take place before A Crack in Time and kick off the current on-going storyline.

As for the PS4 game, it's a fun enough time but leaves a lot to be desired from a R&C game IMO. You'll likely enjoy it if it's your first R&C game, but it's far from the cream of the crop. And the story is a non-canon (thank God) re-imagining of the first game's story. So it's irrelevant in terms of preparing for A Rift Apart.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Would 100% recommend A Crack In Time.

One of the best PS3 games. Easily.

It still looks amazing by today's standards.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The Original Trilogy still holds up
Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty are fine, not as refined as the later PS3 sequels but fun to see how the new games' story sets up
A Crack in Time and Into the Nexus are the best modern games, play them on PS Now (or if you can get your hands on a PS3)

Last edited: