• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying that including a 60fps mode in games is the best course of action for these companies. It would guarantee that games would not be CPU bound if they plan to release mid-gen upgrades again.

Oct 27, 2017
The fast pace nature of this game will for sure benefit from the higher frame rate. In general I'd like to see a third option in next gen games that prioritizes eye candy while locking the game at 1080/30, but I doubt it's going to happen.

I'd love to see this as well, but I can't envision this ever happening. But imagine what they can do with the visuals at 1080p.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Again, show me a PC game that looks like this, that can run 4k60fps on anything other than a 2080ti or equivalent $1000+ GPU.

You should also play Ratchet PS4 again if you think it looks close to this.
Why would I need to compare it to a platform which works very differently? I'm comparing it to a game in the same franchise which does not look much different running on previous gen ps hw.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome news. I'm very happy 60fps options are being offered for this and Miles. I am hopeful this is something we'll see in other/future console titles as well. Options are a good thing.

Deleted member 54580

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Great news again. It really looks like forced 30fps dogshit is finally starting to be a thing of the past. As far as I'm concerned any dev that still tries to force 30fps can take their game and fuck off.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic news. Probably play @30 for the first playthrough and 60 every time after that.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Do you have any example? We know CoD Cold War and Dirt 5 will support 120 fps mode on both consoles.

And well, there's Halo multiplayer, but it looks like a Remastered Xbox 360 game, not sure it should count.
COD wasn't actually confirmed (although 'higher frame rates' is what the FAQ on the website says). Still, don't expect that, in 4K, with raytracing on those consoles.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this game.

Everything about it sounds so promising

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Why would I need to compare it to a platform which works very differently? I'm comparing it to a game in the same franchise which does not look much different running on previous gen ps hw.

Ratchet-Clank-ps4-1.jpg

ratchet-clank-rift-apart.jpg

2_ratchetvista.0.0.jpg

smbDxRW.jpg

"does not look much different"

+20% resolution increase

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
not true at all. If the game logic runs and is limited by the CPU (number of AI on screen, background streaming of assets etc) then it will literally be CPU bottle-necked.
Yep

CPU bottlenecks in a lot of urban spaces in Flight Sim, turning down resolution can't help me here lol

Outside of these settings it's usually GPU (or network, sometimes)

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like all major launch window Sony games are offering 30fps 4K max visuals with RT and optional 60fps with reconstructed 4K and without RT.

TotalBiscuit is smiling from the heaven.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
This is cool! This is a little tangential, but as someone who plays on a 1440p monitor I'd really, really appreciate it if PS5 handles 1440p display better than the disastrous PS4 Pro method, which has it downsample from whatever its native resolution is to 1080p, then the display upscales that back to 1440p. In some cases (Naughty Dog's games come to mind) it's downsampling from and upscaling back to the same resolution it ends up displaying at, which is just extra absurd! Microsoft has supported native 1440p display for years with Xbox One X, and there's no hardware reason PS4 Pro can't support it, but it would just be devastating for this issue to continue into the next generation.

jstevenson can we get confirmation that PS5 will support native 1440p display, and is there any chance that PS4 Pro can still be updated to support it? It would be awesome to finally have crisp, clear image quality in Spider-Man on a 1440p display!

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yep! Now I just pray it's a locked 60, or at least uses VRR if not. And hopefully we're talking 1440p and not 1080p. Not to be glass half empty but some things are just too good to be true ;)

🤞🏼
If I was to guess, Rift Apart's 60fps mode will have an internal resolution of 1440p like Spider-Man on Pro, and it will upscale to 4K with Insomniacs Temporal Reprojection tech. They will most likely disable RT... I'll be pleasantly surprised if they don't.
I mean it probably can be 4K/60 if you let go of ray tracing. That could maybe be a 3rd mode lol.
RT doesn't cut the frame-rate in half.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
May I add that R&C had some severe performance dips with several weapons on PS4 as well.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, looking at some of the replies, I still have my seat belt on. Strapped in.

Nothing stops this train.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
If I was to guess, Rift Apart's 60fps mode will have an internal resolution of 1440p like Spider-Man on Pro, and it will upscale to 4K with Insomniacs Temporal Reprojection tech. They will most likely disable RT... I'll be pleasantly surprised if they don't.

Honestly I'd be more than happy with 1440p+TI for the 60fps. Insomniac's TI upscaling is my favourite non-AI reconstruction method.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This post is not helping your cause.
Run the gameplay demo video side by side with comparable ps4 game footage. It really isn't much of an upgrade. I'm glad that you are satisifed with what you are seeing, but please understand that not everyone is happy.

I'm quite satisfied, and anyone expecting native 4k/60fps/RT for these games should get their expectations in check

check the videos posted above. they're not even close to the same looking game.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

I'm assuming it's locked to 30FPS but if left unlocked it would probably be in the 40s. I doubt it's barely hitting 30.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This post is not helping your cause.
Run the gameplay demo video side by side with comparable ps4 game footage. It really isn't much of an upgrade. I'm glad that you are satisifed with what you are seeing, but please understand that not everyone is happy.
I revisited the Pro version last night and i disagree. It's still a beautiful game but the basic geometry in both environments and enemies is painfully obvious compared to what the PS5 game is doing. And that's without factoring in the foliage effects, reflections, massive amounts of particles etc.