• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How did you discover Raspberry Pi gaming?

• This thread

Votes: 85 11.8%
  • Friends / colleagues had one / talking about it.

Votes: 100 13.9%
  • Online blogs / Video websites

Votes: 371 51.4%
  • Saw it in a shop / online store

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • I used Pi's already at work / learning / hobby

Votes: 157 21.7%

• Total voters
OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Vilros 8 Inch 1024x768 Screen and Stand for Raspberry Pi 4 & Raspberry PI 3

This might be the perfect portable screen:
- 4:3 aspect ratio - great for retro games
- Uses 5v so can be powered just by the pi usb port
- Has a place to hold the pi.

Overall the only downside is no speaker, but still a great screen, would be great for projects.

O6wg4iX.jpeg

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm really tempted to pick up a Astro Mini, just to mod it, There is a LOT of empty space to put Raspberry Pi:

If already has a 5" screen but no idea what display adapter it could be, I would recommend taking out the LCD but you may have to break the plastic unfortunately.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is there a native core on RetroArch for Dreamcast now? Last time I did Dreamcast emulation it was with a different emulator and it was quite buggy tbh.

If there is, how does it run?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Setting up the Rasp Pi 2 for my friend made me want to make an updated one for myself so I think I'm going to buy the Pi4 in the new year. Is the 8GB model overkill or will that much RAM actively help emulation? Will it make the tougher systems like N64, Dreamcast, PSP work better? Or is that bottlenecked by the emulator software instead?

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Setting up the Rasp Pi 2 for my friend made me want to make an updated one for myself so I think I'm going to buy the Pi4 in the new year. Is the 8GB model overkill or will that much RAM actively help emulation? Will it make the tougher systems like N64, Dreamcast, PSP work better? Or is that bottlenecked by the emulator software instead?

Don't bother with the 8GB version:

The 8GB version is people who want to run servers, emulate windows or use AI projects.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It is sluggish. When I run Kodi, the mouse pointer lags a lot. So I wonder if it's a Kodi issue, a 400 issue or a bit of both.

Sound strange to ask, but have your tried using another mouse? When I had a Pi 2 I noticed one mouse had latency issues for some bizarre reason. It could also be Kodi, as I'm not sure there is a specific build for the 400 yet.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm doing a fresh build for 2021, last one I tinkered a bit too much and broke a lot of things.

Picked up a Astro Mini Arcade Stick, works perfectly fine on RetroPie, gonna be great for fighting games!

0htbg5b.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
So I think I'm finally ready to tinker with Raspberry Pi for retro gaming. I'm settling for a 4/Model B with 4GB of RAM (since 8 doesn't seem to provide any tangible boost in performance). I was wondering what my expectations should be for emulation with this specific device (as someone who researched high and low for retro handhelds, I know it's annoying to read "can emulate PS2/DC/N64" only to see pptx level framerates).

Furthermore, should I look into passive or active cooling? I still have access to MX4 when I re-pasted my laptop in late 2020 but I don't mind having to consider a fan.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I think I'm finally ready to tinker with Raspberry Pi for retro gaming. I'm settling for a 4/Model B with 4GB of RAM (since 8 doesn't seem to provide any tangible boost in performance). I was wondering what my expectations should be for emulation with this specific device (as someone who researched high and low for retro handhelds, I know it's annoying to read "can emulate PS2/DC/N64" only to see pptx level framerates).

Furthermore, should I look into passive or active cooling? I still have access to MX4 when I re-pasted my laptop in late 2020 but I don't mind having to consider a fan.

Everything up to Dreamcast will run great.
N64 runs okay but most games are patchy.
Dedicated cooling if overclocking, if not then any heat sink will do.,

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Someone bought me this weird Atari thing for Christmas so I decided to put a neglected Pi4 in it and try some overclocking. Quite a capable little machine.
DevbTHE.jpg

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I know most people use RetroPie, but I kind of hate the UI/settings access of it. I like Lakka myself, but it updates so infrequently and you can't update the cores out of sync. It's been a full year, they say a big update is coming soon but everything is so behind and I'm itching to get back into Pi. Lakka is just a slimmed down OS for RetroArch though, right? So instead I could theoretically launch RetroArch from something like Noobs and that would be just regular RetroArch that I can update whenever I want, I think? I hope that question makes sense, it's been a while since I've done anything with Pi and I'm a bit of a noob anyway.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I know most people use RetroPie, but I kind of hate the UI/settings access of it. I like Lakka myself, but it updates so infrequently and you can't update the cores out of sync. It's been a full year, they say a big update is coming soon but everything is so behind and I'm itching to get back into Pi. Lakka is just a slimmed down OS for RetroArch though, right? So instead I could theoretically launch RetroArch from something like Noobs and that would be just regular RetroArch that I can update whenever I want, I think? I hope that question makes sense, it's been a while since I've done anything with Pi and I'm a bit of a noob anyway.
When you say the UI do you mean how it looks or the options you are given?

Cause there are loads of Retropie themes you can use to change the look of the UI pretty significantly.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
When you say the UI do you mean how it looks or the options you are given?

Cause there are loads of Retropie themes you can use to change the look of the UI pretty significantly.
I want the XMB that's standard in Retroarch. AFAIK, you can't set that as standard in Retropie. Also some of the settings like Achievements are a lot harder to get to.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
Is there any reason for me to get an RPi4 instead of the Odroid N2+ for emulation? It looks like the N2+ can run Sega Saturn really well, and can also run Gamecube and Wii emulation which seems fantastic.

When I add up the costs of the case/accessories of the two options, the N2+ would only be an extra ~$30 so that's not a factor for me.

Are there any other things I should keep in mind before I make a decision?

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
Odroid can run Saturn? Dang, that's impressive. Is it all through Retroarch?

Yeah I think so. The ETA Prime guy has videos of the N2+ running Sega Saturn on both Android and Batocera through the Yaba Sanshiro core in RetroArch. At least Sega Rally and Panzer Dragoon seem to run really well

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is there any reason for me to get an RPi4 instead of the Odroid N2+ for emulation? It looks like the N2+ can run Sega Saturn really well, and can also run Gamecube and Wii emulation which seems fantastic.

When I add up the costs of the case/accessories of the two options, the N2+ would only be an extra ~$30 so that's not a factor for me.

Are there any other things I should keep in mind before I make a decision?

You usually get a Pi for the greater range of support and distros for it, if you want something powerful you choose other SoC devices like the Odroid which have limited support and documentation in comparison to Pi's.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Nice work! I've add to the list of community projects in the OP:
Hey, thanks! How about this Pi3B disguised as a machine control panel that I played video games on while at work?
7PRATrz.jpg

If you're still wondering about Dreamcast performance it's been solid for me on a max overclocked Pi4 with active cooling. After some tweaking lr-flycast has been running MVC2 and Soul Calibur at a solid 60fps with no screen tearing. Some games need the redream core to run full speed but that one tears like crazy and I haven't found a fix for that yet. Both cores were available to download from the retropie config utility.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hey, thanks! How about this Pi3B disguised as a machine control panel that I played video games on while at work?
7PRATrz.jpg

If you're still wondering about Dreamcast performance it's been solid for me on a max overclocked Pi4 with active cooling. After some tweaking lr-flycast has been running MVC2 and Soul Calibur at a solid 60fps with no screen tearing. Some games need the redream core to run full speed but that one tears like crazy and I haven't found a fix for that yet. Both cores were available to download from the retropie config utility.

Great! Also added to the OP:

cjSahED.png

Made something with a Raspberry Pi? Send me PM! Projects will be listed here!

- Fredrik's custom arcade machine
- IMACOMPUTA's aracde machine
- IMACONPUTA's two player arcade stick machine
- MRORANGE's mini arcade machine
- spacemonkey's used kit to make hit Picade and PiGirl
- Fularu's NEO GEO arcade machine
- Bomblord's portable lcd gaming system
- EdwardTheHumanMember's Gamboy Model 3
- KojiKnight's modded NES Pi zero controller
- blastprocessed's arcade machine
- Drain You's LCD/ PS4 Dualshock set-up
- Bomblord's Retrode / Pi combo set-up
- rubbishmonkey's NEO GEO X Mod
- Nightfall's full sized arcade machine
- shaowebb's Arcade kiosk
- Subnat's mini megadrive pi zero mod
- IMACOMPUTA's ODROID XU4 Arcade Stick / N64 Hybrid
- Agent Icebreezy's Wreck it Ralph! arcade cabinet.
- IMACOMPUTA's Coffee table arcade
- mariox2098's Portable FightCade
- nded's Atari Arcade Peanl Mod
- nded's Pi3B disguised as a machine control panel

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is cool: http://retrogamerestore.com/RPi400MSX/

EpWF2SSVoAEBQNb

Retro Game Restore - RPi400-MSX Adapter $38.49
Price including postage shown at checkout

Description:
1. This adapter mainly supports Raspberry Pi 400 unit.
2. This adapter also supports Raspberry Pi 4B, Raspberry Pi 3, Pi 2.
3. You must use proper emulator such as BlueBerry and OpenMSX to work with MSX cartridge. Some physical cartridge might not be supported as software emulator wont work right.
4. RETURN AND REFUND POLICY
In order to get a replacement or a full refund, the defective unit must be returned to Retro Game Restore first.
After the defective unit is confirmed to be received and reviewed, a replacement or a full refund will then be processed.
All defective units will be carefully reviewed, a replacement or a full refund will not be eligible for the defects
which are made by inappropriate modifications or any kind of misuse under any circumstances.
5. This product is with 1-year warranty.
Misuses of any kind such as careless soldering and modifying or firmware update failure are not covered by warranty.
Retro Game Restore will provide tech support for the products which are still warranty effective free of charge. The users should only bear the shipping costs.
For the products which are no longer warranty effective,
please kindly contact us via Facebook message or Twitter for details of tech support and fees.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
This is cool: http://retrogamerestore.com/RPi400MSX/

EpWF2SSVoAEBQNb

Retro Game Restore - RPi400-MSX Adapter $38.49
Price including postage shown at checkout

Description:
1. This adapter mainly supports Raspberry Pi 400 unit.
2. This adapter also supports Raspberry Pi 4B, Raspberry Pi 3, Pi 2.
3. You must use proper emulator such as BlueBerry and OpenMSX to work with MSX cartridge. Some physical cartridge might not be supported as software emulator wont work right.
4. RETURN AND REFUND POLICY
In order to get a replacement or a full refund, the defective unit must be returned to Retro Game Restore first.
After the defective unit is confirmed to be received and reviewed, a replacement or a full refund will then be processed.
All defective units will be carefully reviewed, a replacement or a full refund will not be eligible for the defects
which are made by inappropriate modifications or any kind of misuse under any circumstances.
5. This product is with 1-year warranty.
Misuses of any kind such as careless soldering and modifying or firmware update failure are not covered by warranty.
Retro Game Restore will provide tech support for the products which are still warranty effective free of charge. The users should only bear the shipping costs.
For the products which are no longer warranty effective,
please kindly contact us via Facebook message or Twitter for details of tech support and fees.

Time to finally play the original Metal Gear!

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Have a Pi4 and a Shield TV, and the Pi4 was so much easier to deal with if you're into customizing your front end. Shield has been a pain in the ass trying to find something as good as Emulation Station.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Have a Pi4 and a Shield TV, and the Pi4 was so much easier to deal with if you're into customizing your front end. Shield has been a pain in the ass trying to find something as good as Emulation Station.

One of the things I love about the Pi is that it is pretty much open to anything.

Plus having a dedicated OS like RetroPie just for gaming helps a lot in functionality.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
If the quality is anything like the SN30 Pro and Pro+ I own and love, it would be a solid choice. The only thing holding me back is the amount of games I would use it for versus a regular controller, so it would have to go on a decent sale to catch my interest.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Whats the largest capacity battery you could power a Rpi4 from and usage time??

Am thinking of building a joystick with a RPi built in and powering it from a battery and just having the 1 display cable coming from the stick

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Whats the input latency like thon these??

Pretty good, according to reviews, with bluetooth, 2.4ghz and Wired it's got a good selection to choose from.

Looks like it has £30 shipping though too...

Yeah just noticed that :( Cheapest I can find it now is £67, which is more or less the RRP of it in the US.

Whats the largest capacity battery you could power a Rpi4 from and usage time??

Am thinking of building a joystick with a RPi built in and powering it from a battery and just having the 1 display cable coming from the stick

From a power bank? As long as tithe power bank lasts: https://low-orbit.net/how-long-can-a-raspberry-pi-run-on-batteries

how-long-can-a-raspberry-pi-run-on-batteries-sm.png

^ For gaming It would be less

If you wanted a more integrated solution with a dedicated on/off switch with charging capabilities:

thepihut.com

PowerBoost 1000 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 1A (1000C)

PowerBoost 1000C is the perfect power supply for your portable project! With a built-in load-sharing battery charger circuit, you'll be able to keep your power-hungry project running even while recharging the battery! This little DC/DC boost converter module can be powered by any 3.7V...

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I need some help from resident Pi experts. I hope someone can help me.

Ordered an Arpicade. It's a Pi attached to an adapted to allow it to go over Jamma. Thing never worked. At first thought it was my cab as I had no other boards to test with. Got another cab and boards and everything worked perfect except that.

It would automatically press inputs and cause issues.Today I decided to try and solve this. So I wiped the SD card and put the latest firmware on. This resulted in a blank screen with a lightning bolt. It did this with the Jamma adapter as well as with a standard power supply and HDMI. So idk if the Pi is fried or what. It is a Pi 3b+.

I had a Pi 4. So I flashed the firmware made for the Pi 4. It worked on the TV with power supply and HDMI. I couldn't use it on the Jamma adapter due to it being HDMI micro. So I ordered and adapter for it.

My questions are:

1) What is the most likely issue here? The Pi 3b+ or the Jamma adapter? The adaptor powers the Pi via a ribbon cable on the GPIO.

2) If the adapter caused this issue, will it fry the 4?

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017

Ordered an Arpicade. It's a Pi attached to an adapted to allow it to go over Jamma. Thing never worked. At first thought it was my cab as I had no other boards to test with. Got another cab and boards and everything worked perfect except that.

It would automatically press inputs and cause issues.Today I decided to try and solve this. So I wiped the SD card and put the latest firmware on. This resulted in a blank screen with a lightning bolt. It did this with the Jamma adapter as well as with a standard power supply and HDMI. So idk if the Pi is fried or what. It is a Pi 3b+.

I had a Pi 4. So I flashed the firmware made for the Pi 4. It worked on the TV with power supply and HDMI. I couldn't use it on the Jamma adapter due to it being HDMI micro. So I ordered and adapter for it.

My questions are:

1) What is the most likely issue here? The Pi 3b+ or the Jamma adapter? The adaptor powers the Pi via a ribbon cable on the GPIO.

"This resulted in a blank screen with a lightning bolt "

The lightning bolt bit is a warning that the Pi isn't getting enough voltage.

This can be due to several issues:

- Something's pulling more power than the RPi 3B+ can deliver. (NB: The Pi 4B has a larger power budget for peripherals)
- There could be a voltage drop in the cable (bad cable / resistance losses or if there's a power button/switch on the cable)
- There could be an issue with the connector (resistance / voltage drop due to contact resistance)
- Everything is within spec. but the AC/DC adapter can't deliver enough current.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK

My questions are:

I would check if the Pi 3b+ still works by connecting it to a TV or monitor with Raspberry Pi OS. If it's fried then it's probably the jamma board that did it. I would also recommend a fresh micro sd card.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good, according to reviews, with bluetooth, 2.4ghz and Wired it's got a good selection to choose from.

Yeah just noticed that :( Cheapest I can find it now is £67, which is more or less the RRP of it in the US.

From a power bank? As long as tithe power bank lasts: https://low-orbit.net/how-long-can-a-raspberry-pi-run-on-batteries

how-long-can-a-raspberry-pi-run-on-batteries-sm.png

^ For gaming It would be less

If you wanted a more integrated solution with a dedicated on/off switch with charging capabilities:

thepihut.com

PowerBoost 1000 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 1A (1000C)

PowerBoost 1000C is the perfect power supply for your portable project! With a built-in load-sharing battery charger circuit, you'll be able to keep your power-hungry project running even while recharging the battery! This little DC/DC boost converter module can be powered by any 3.7V...

Thanks, damn less than an hour of game time....hmmmm might have to rethink this