• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How did you discover Raspberry Pi gaming?

• This thread

Votes: 85 11.8%
  • Friends / colleagues had one / talking about it.

Votes: 100 13.9%
  • Online blogs / Video websites

Votes: 371 51.4%
  • Saw it in a shop / online store

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • I used Pi's already at work / learning / hobby

Votes: 157 21.7%

• Total voters

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, though I made the mistake of getting one without handles and it took awhile for my hands to get used to that classic SNES shape again.

This is the one I got:

N30 Pro 2 Controllers | 8BitDo

N30 Pro 2 N30 Pro was created to be the ultimate, powerful, po

This is the one I'd recommend:

8BitDo SN30 Pro+ | 8BitDo

8BitDo SN30 Pro+ Pro+ is the most advanced controlle

I DID eventually get used to it enough that my hands stopped cramping, but we're spoiled with modern controllers and their better gripping methods, so definitely recommend the latter.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking about just using both the ones I suggested. SNES games feel wrong on a Sega-style 6 button pad, so I should just get both and use the one best for the occasion.

Yep, though I made the mistake of getting one without handles and it took awhile for my hands to get used to that classic SNES shape again.

This is the one I got:

N30 Pro 2 Controllers | 8BitDo

N30 Pro 2 N30 Pro was created to be the ultimate, powerful, po

This is the one I'd recommend:

8BitDo SN30 Pro+ | 8BitDo

8BitDo SN30 Pro+ Pro+ is the most advanced controlle

I DID eventually get used to it enough that my hands stopped cramping, but we're spoiled with modern controllers and their better gripping methods, so definitely recommend the latter.

I like the look of the SN30 Pro Plus but I don't think I'd use the sticks at all, and I don't think I need the handles because I'm actually not at all cramped by the SNES form factor. I think I'll stick with a Bluetooth SNES pad + 8BitDo M30 for the times I need 6 buttons.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I like the look of the SN30 Pro Plus but I don't think I'd use the sticks at all, and I don't think I need the handles because I'm actually not at all cramped by the SNES form factor. I think I'll stick with a Bluetooth SNES pad + 8BitDo M30 for the times I need 6 buttons.
Got the sticks for PS1/N64 games, though the kids absolutely loath using dpads even for 2D games for some reason. I failed them in that regard (even though their first gaming experiences were on my childhood NES that I restored a few years back)

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Got the sticks for PS1/N64 games, though the kids absolutely loath using dpads even for 2D games for some reason. I failed them in that regard (even though their first gaming experiences were on my childhood NES that I restored a few years back)
I'm primarily sticking to PS1 and earlier games, and the PS1 games I'm interested in playing are pre-DualShock (also Densha De Go but let's leave my weird train games out of this).

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
That's literally how I went from building a Pi for my arcade to "Well, now it's got all sorts of games I don't really want to stand up and play... maybe I should just leave it on my TV and get another pi."

It's just so easy to go beyond the scope of the project when you have that much to work with.

I own 4 Pis (my first, a second one so I could have one more focused on consoles than MAME, a third that's really a PiGrrl I bought for a portable, and a Pi4 I bought to try out). And this whole subthread is about whether I should buy another Pi (Zero).

Yeah, it's easy to keep going. It's like my wife and yarn.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any suggestions for a one-size-fits-all controller for 32-bit and under games? I'm thinking either a 8BitDo M30 or a Nintendo Switch Bluetooth SNES pad. I don't think I'll be playing anything that'll require analog sticks.

8BitDo is great, although I've found I really prefer wired controllers these days. I ended up using my 8BitDo more on my Switch.

For a wired controlled, I got a $20 Thrustmaster game pad and it works like a charm. Has the analog sticks if I need them, too.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
8BitDo is great, although I've found I really prefer wired controllers these days. I ended up using my 8BitDo more on my Switch.

For a wired controlled, I got a $20 Thrustmaster game pad and it works like a charm. Has the analog sticks if I need them, too.
I definitely get the appeal of a wired controller, but this is gonna be a living room emulation box, so I'm gonna try to keep wires to a minimum.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
I used a Pro+ that was my primary Switch controller when I built my Pi, but after a while I noticed it didn't feel great when you're using the d-pad for everything and barely touching the sticks. Ordered a Pro and definitely felt a lot more comfortable for d-pad focused play, but I don't regret having both as I can now dedicate one exclusive to the Pi and have the Pro+ moving between it, PC, and Switch.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So if I wanted to make a PI standup arcade, where should I start? I have too much time on my hands while home....

Oct 27, 2017
Nearly done with this.

1594546967686819-0.png

I need to add the rest of the T-Molding to the cabinet then I'll be done.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
Agent Icebeezy that is beautiful. Wreck it Ralph is awesome!

On the topic of arcade, are there any kits for an arcade stick "case" for RPi? Like where the stick will hold the switches and also connect to thr Pi with HDMI out and USB Power? All's i'm coming up withn in my searched are these dinky, cheap looking mini bartops. I want something to connect to my television/monitor.

Any one have suggestions or projects they have come across? I'm not really a DIY guy, but a project like this may be fun :)

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Agent Icebeezy that is beautiful. Wreck it Ralph is awesome!

On the topic of arcade, are there any kits for an arcade stick "case" for RPi? Like where the stick will hold the switches and also connect to thr Pi with HDMI out and USB Power? All's i'm coming up withn in my searched are these dinky, cheap looking mini bartops. I want something to connect to my television/monitor.

Any one have suggestions or projects they have come across? I'm not really a DIY guy, but a project like this may be fun :)

There are a lot of them, and they're pretty straightforward. They are basically a DIY joystick that's big enough for a Pi inside.

www.youtube.com

DIY Raspberry Pi 3 Powered Arcade Stick Tutorial

In this video, I show you how I built a Raspberry Pi Powered RetroPie DIY Arcade Stick. This stick is powered by a Raspberry Pi 3 MEANING THE GAMES ARE BEING...

Oct 27, 2017
Been thinking about using my Pi to create a full size arcade cabinet, but I'd like to use a CRT to make it feel more authentic. Anyone have any experience with this? Still have a good number of people giving CRTs away for free/really cheap in my area but I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for as far as what kind of TV input options are needed/preferred. I also have an older PC I'd be willing to use if my Raspberry Pi isn't well suited for it

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking about using my Pi to create a full size arcade cabinet, but I'd like to use a CRT to make it feel more authentic. Anyone have any experience with this? Still have a good number of people giving CRTs away for free/really cheap in my area but I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for as far as what kind of TV input options are needed/preferred. I also have an older PC I'd be willing to use if my Raspberry Pi isn't well suited for it
The older models have a composite out, which will work but it's definitely not the greatest for clarity.

The best bet would be to get a cry with component (RGB) cables unless you love in Europe and you can get one with a RGB scart connector. Both ways you'll need some sort of HDMI to analog conversion, ideally low latency as you can get.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So how has the raspberry pi 4 fared in regard to PS1 emulation? I'd like a simple solution to play PS1 games on my TV with my dualshock 4, and I figured a RP4 could do the trick. Does it?

Also, how does it compare to the hacked PS1 classic?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So how has the raspberry pi 4 fared in regard to PS1 emulation? I'd like a simple solution to play PS1 games on my TV with my dualshock 4, and I figured a RP4 could do the trick. Does it?

Also, how does it compare to the hacked PS1 classic?

Dunno about your final question but I have a Pi3 and have played BoFIV and both Mega Man Legends games just fine, beat them both

I have no idea how you'd play games that come on two discs though, I mean you can rip them both but I've never been able to get my head around how you switch discs

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno about your final question but I have a Pi3 and have played BoFIV and both Mega Man Legends games just fine, beat them both

I have no idea how you'd play games that come on two discs though, I mean you can rip them both but I've never been able to get my head around how you switch discs
Can you just load/mount the new disc when the game prompts you to, just like ePSXe does? (or did; I haven't used it in over a decade)

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Are there any emulators that let you play PS1 games straight off a disc, like from a USB CD drive?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
IMACOMPUTA wow!! Incredible work and craftsmanship. How did you find a 4:3 monitor for the project?

I just bought a Raspberry Pi 4 which I'm planning to setup with one of the premade emulator packs like Virtualman.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
IMACOMPUTA wow!! Incredible work and craftsmanship. How did you find a 4:3 monitor for the project?

I just bought a Raspberry Pi 4 which I'm planning to setup with one of the premade emulator packs like Virtualman.
Thanks! The kids and wife love it. My 4 year old son is really digging Pac-man. It's been a lot of fun!

I got it a few years ago from Ebay I think (or some dell outlet site) for pretty cheap. It's an IPS too, which was important for this orientation so it has good viewing angles.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I've been noticing the rise of the pre built images. Anyone have much experience? I just roll my own off the Retropie official. I don't find it too much work, but some of these builds look really slick.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I've been noticing the rise of the pre built images. Anyone have much experience? I just roll my own off the Retropie official. I don't find it too much work, but some of these builds look really slick.

Always the potential for malware or other unwanted issues to show up in those cases. Better off running your own official build and just install whatever they're using which is frequently a publicly available retropie theme (already in retropie just have to click download) and maybe a few random pieces of software.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Always the potential for malware or other unwanted issues to show up in those cases. Better off running your own official build and just install whatever they're using which is frequently a publicly available retropie theme (already in retropie just have to click download) and maybe a few random pieces of software.

Malware is the biggest thing that's stopped me. I've also got solid Linux skills so I can handle the odd issue with my own setup.

Where are you seeing prebuilt images? Forgive the silly Q, I've been out of the Pi scene for a bit...

Arcade punks is a popular site for them.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just a heads up, I would not recommend talking about "pre-built images": or linking to any sites that have them, because:

- They may contain roms or bios files, which is frowned upon here
- Some of these images are unsafe, may contain malware.

I finished a project I started 2 years ago.
Put the finishing touches on this Raspberry Pi 3b powered coffee table.

(Album)

lvEJ6mF.jpg

This is amazing! I have added it to the list of Community Projects in the OP:

cjSahED.png

Made something with a Raspberry Pi? Send me PM! Projects will be listed here!

- Fredrik's custom arcade machine
- IMACOMPUTA's aracde machine
- IMACONPUTA's two player arcade stick machine
- MRORANGE's mini arcade machine
- spacemonkey's used kit to make hit Picade and PiGirl
- Fularu's NEO GEO arcade machine
- Bomblord's portable lcd gaming system
- EdwardTheHumanMember's Gamboy Model 3
- KojiKnight's modded NES Pi zero controller
- blastprocessed's arcade machine
- Drain You's LCD/ PS4 Dualshock set-up
- Bomblord's Retrode / Pi combo set-up
- rubbishmonkey's NEO GEO X Mod
- Nightfall's full sized arcade machine
- shaowebb's Arcade kiosk
- Subnat's mini megadrive pi zero mod
- IMACOMPUTA's ODROID XU4 Arcade Stick / N64 Hybrid
- Agent Icebreezy's Wreck it Ralph! arcade cabinet.
- IMACOMPUTA's Coffee table arcade

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Is it normal that there is so much input lag on Raspberry Pi emulators? I tried wired controllers and it's pretty awful. I usually play NES mini or PC emulators on the same tv, but my Pi 4 seems bad in comparison.

Is this just a case of Pi players caring less about lag?

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Is it normal that there is so much input lag on Raspberry Pi emulators? I tried wired controllers and it's pretty awful. I usually play NES mini or PC emulators on the same tv, but my Pi 4 seems bad in comparison.

Is this just a case of Pi players caring less about lag?

I have very, very little input lag on my Pi 4. There are several factors that can cause input lag. Check this page:

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Input-Lag/

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
To those of you running Retropie on a Pi 4 these days, could you tell me if it's able to handle 1 or 2 frames of runahead with everything pre-PS1 at least?

If that's the case, then it might finally be time to consider doing a Pi 4 build to replace my Pi 3+.