• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How did you discover Raspberry Pi gaming?

• This thread

Votes: 85 11.8%
  • Friends / colleagues had one / talking about it.

Votes: 100 13.9%
  • Online blogs / Video websites

Votes: 371 51.4%
  • Saw it in a shop / online store

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • I used Pi's already at work / learning / hobby

Votes: 157 21.7%

• Total voters

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
First triangle drawn on pi 4 Vulkan!
hello_vulkan.png

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Thanks! I'll check it out. I think the thing that throws me off the most is the HDMI cable situation. With what it comes with you go from hdmi to micro hdmi with an adapter to flip it back? Am I misunderstanding?
yeah it just comes with that extra adapter for some reason, not really sure why, its just sitting in my drawer, maybe i'll use it someday?

slashf

Oct 28, 2017
Pickup one, been using the 8 bitdo ps classic adapter and is incredible to use this little thiny pc and the ps4 controler.
Need some improvements, and i cant run one game that i want that is Saturn Bomberman.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So looks like my Odroid Go Advance is in the UK as got a email from DHL, they want £21.78 for import duty/tax!!!, this cheap handheld device just became not so cheap....bloody import tax

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Sure is taking the retropi folks a long time to get a build out on the Pi4. 7 months after Pi release and there hasn't been an official build released yet.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see how it can be so much the device itself if only like £42, should of told them to mark it as Gift and lower the value
We'll see, I guess. I seem to remember paying as much (if not more) as the cost of the Vita TV I imported a few years back. There's an admin fee from DHL on top of the actual amount, iirc.

Blergmeister

Oct 27, 2017
AFAIK it's a pretty small team and this is entirely new hardware unlike the previous Pi 3b+ refresh.
I will say, I picked up a Pi 4 this last weekend and was able to download a beta image of Retropie. It was just the same to setup (just had to grab a beta image) and it runs even better than my pi 3, have found no issues so far. That said, I've only ran since this weekend!

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I will say, I picked up a Pi 4 this last weekend and was able to download a beta image of Retropie. It was just the same to setup (just had to grab a beta image) and it runs even better than my pi 3, have found no issues so far. That said, I've only ran since this weekend!

I've just been using Lakka which has its own set of benefits. Main drawback is it's a lot less cool looking and less user friendly. Had to remotely use the command line to connect a bluetooth controller.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Pi 3 won't really handle it. At least not well and consistently on every game. Pi 4 on the other hand does it swimmingly on ~SNES level games.

Thanks

I'll stick with turn based games on my Pi3 then until I feel the need to upgrade

I might wait for the Pi5 since they seem to come out every few years and the upgrades seem pretty substantial with each iteration

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Thanks

I'll stick with turn based games on my Pi3 then until I feel the need to upgrade

I might wait for the Pi5 since they seem to come out every few years and the upgrades seem pretty substantial with each iteration

Pi 1 released 2012, Pi 2 released 2015, Pi 3 released 2016 and Pi 4 released 2019 so it seems pretty wildly inconsistent.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Pi 1 released 2012, Pi 2 released 2015, Pi 3 released 2016 and Pi 4 released 2019 so it seems pretty wildly inconsistent.

That's 4 iterations in 7 years, so unless things change drastically going forward it should arrive within a few years

It's cool either way as I still have tons of games I want to play on my Pi 3

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
User Banned (5 days): Admitting to piracy and posting links to pirated content.
Looking for some feedback as a new Pi owner if someone is willing to help me. I downloaded this rom pack (128gb one):

Mod Edit: Link to pirated contents removed.

I used a program called Rufus to install the ISO to my MicroSD card but I noticed that in Windows it is now detecting the drive as being only 256mb. Is this normal? I have a Pi in the mail that won't be here for another week or so.

I am now hearing there are issues with using this on a 4K screen? Also possible issues with sound over HDMI? Anyone have any experience with this stuff that could kind of give me a guide on how to get everything to work? Could find anything anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
Does anybody have any expectations for Pi day on the 14:th of March or the aniversary of the first pi on the 29:th of Feburary?

I'm half expecting something dull like a new Compute Stick (4) or a 4A with 0,5 or 1GB RAM. Good for corporate sales though, a 4A would do well within digital signage (and help finance node shrinks for that nice and shiny Pi5... thats due around 2025 :p ).

Blergmeister

Oct 27, 2017
Frustrated. A few weeks ago had retropie running g just fine on my pi 4. I travel for work last week. Come back today and it seems like I get no video out. I was literally just going to make a backup of all my scrapes, etc! I check my router and it doesnt seem to be connected there either. Any one else run into this issue?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Frustrated. A few weeks ago had retropie running g just fine on my pi 4. I travel for work last week. Come back today and it seems like I get no video out. I was literally just going to make a backup of all my scrapes, etc! I check my router and it doesnt seem to be connected there either. Any one else run into this issue?
Can't say I have but there isn't an official pi 4 version yet. Can you get video out with another OS?

Blergmeister

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using a beta build which has ran spotless so far. I had it unplugged for a week while I traveled for work. When I tried getting it going again today bam, nothing. What I'm concerned with is that the case I use was left open. This is because the slots for the micro hdmi and usb c in the case are too small for the cables. I meant to widen the holes but havent gotten around to it yet. I'm worried that maybe in getting things plugged in I may have touched something I shouldnt have and shorted something out. Seems far fetched though. It looks like it powers on fine. I get the blinking green light. For now I'm setting it aside for a bit until I have time to research and see if I can find anything.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone know how to enable Kiosk or Kid mode in Recalbox? It's part of EmulationStation, but there's no option for it in Recalbox for some reason. Is there some way to enable it?

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
Blergmeister

You get nothing, nothing? As in the screen doesn't realize there's anything on the other side?

Have you tried the silliest of all options, that the HDMI cable has popped out on either end for whatever god forsaken reason? Have you checked that the SD-card hasn't plopped out for similarly unknown reasons?

The other thing that I can think of is that iirc the Pi doesn't support hotplugging. So if you have the HDMI unplugged while powering it up, I don't think it'll read the screen information properly and it may not output anything useful due to that.

Also take a look here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151 and read up on the green LED behaviour.

Blergmeister

Oct 27, 2017
Blergmeister

You get nothing, nothing? As in the screen doesn't realize there's anything on the other side?

Have you tried the silliest of all options, that the HDMI cable has popped out on either end for whatever god forsaken reason? Have you checked that the SD-card hasn't plopped out for similarly unknown reasons?

The other thing that I can think of is that iirc the Pi doesn't support hotplugging. So if you have the HDMI unplugged while powering it up, I don't think it'll read the screen information properly and it may not output anything useful due to that.

Also take a look here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151 and read up on the green LED behaviour.

Thanks for the response. After tinkering for a while I've determined the microSD went kaput. I took a spare micro SD and flashed an image and it worked with no issues. Got set to return the bum one in the next few days. I was just panicking initially.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I bought an arcade stick (razer panth)

I own a fuck ton of games bc I've been gaming since I was a kid but have never used emulation before and this is my first fight, or arcade stick. I'll use it mainly for mortal kombat but is there a way to buy a raspberry pi, plug into tv and just plug this ps4 arcade stick into the pi?

My living room is a mess of consoles and I'm thinking this is the solution. Can set all this up using an iPad Pro? Do I need the newest pi?

Is there a cheap way to make my arcade stick work with a switch or Xbox one too?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I bought an arcade stick (razer panth)

I own a fuck ton of games bc I've been gaming since I was a kid but have never used emulation before and this is my first fight, or arcade stick. I'll use it mainly for mortal kombat but is there a way to buy a raspberry pi, plug into tv and just plug this ps4 arcade stick into the pi?

My living room is a mess of consoles and I'm thinking this is the solution. Can set all this up using an iPad Pro? Do I need the newest pi?

Is there a cheap way to make my arcade stick work with a switch or Xbox one too?
Don't quote me on this as I'm new and working out my own issues with it, but yes. Buy the 4, install the image of the latest retropie, and then simply connect the arcade stick. During controller configuration it should detect the stick and you customize everything. There's a bit more setup but that's the big gist.