• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How did you discover Raspberry Pi gaming?

• This thread

Votes: 85 11.8%
  • Friends / colleagues had one / talking about it.

Votes: 100 13.9%
  • Online blogs / Video websites

Votes: 371 51.4%
  • Saw it in a shop / online store

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • I used Pi's already at work / learning / hobby

Votes: 157 21.7%

• Total voters

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I use recalbox and what matters is the order that you "plugged" the controller. I mean, if the DS4 is the Player 1 controller, then all the games are going to use that controller by default. You can turn the DS4 off and reassign the SNES controller I think (or rather, maybe ES then defaults to the other controller when the first is missing)

However, I think what you're asking is beyond the scope of what ES is trying to be. Like, it's a frontend to make easy the organizing of games and use a general profile for all the consoles instead of editing manually the configuration file in retroarch. And people that want to use a different controller to specific consoles in a hot swap fashion are not the majority of users and, personally, I don't think it's a very big deal (even though I'm also thinking of buying specific controllers for a couple of consoles like NES/SNES and Genesis besides the DS3 controller that I use now for everything)
I wonder if you can hardcode in the retroarch cores config file to use a specific controller (like use this usb port for this core).

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if you can hardcode in the retroarch cores config file to use a specific controller (like use this usb port for this core).

Well, if you use a brand controller in Recalbox, ES shows the name of the controller when you're setting it up (Dualshock3, Wii U Pro Controller, etc). Maybe you can set it up to do that by name of the controller recognized if retroarch also reads it as such. Maybe I'll test during the week using DS3/DS4 and a Wii U Pro Controller.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got my Pi Zero and it's pretty much exactly what I wanted for Pico-8 use. Can't wait for the RetroFlag GameBoy case now.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's looking for a cheap Pi Zero, some Targets are clearing out the Google AIY Speaker kit for $15
https://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker?sku=207-06-0026

Contains the Pi Zero w/headers, USB cable, jumper cables, a speaker, and a hat/bonnet
Picked up one to mess around with yesterday for that Retroflag game boy case, but ended up just making it a sound board that plays sounds when you hit the button. Went back and bought 5 more at 3 different Targets, these things are awesome and $15 is pretty much the going price for the Zero W i thought

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't seem to get the Scraping working for like half of the platforms... Actually the only ones that work ar the GBC, GBA and GC... Nothing on the SNES, NES or Megadrive ever gets found...

Oh also... Isn' the Megadrive just the name of the Genesis in Europe? Why is it a separate section in Retropie?

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't seem to get the Scraping working for like half of the platforms... Actually the only ones that work ar the GBC, GBA and GC... Nothing on the SNES, NES or Megadrive ever gets found...

Oh also... Isn' the Megadrive just the name of the Genesis in Europe? Why is it a separate section in Retropie?

Recalbox 6.0 is having issues with the built-in scraper. It's recommended to use a scraping tool on PC like Skraper or Universal XML Scraper

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

It's just the default. You can change it by creating a new config file:

Switching Emulation Station to the Genesis logo:
If you are from the United States it is likely that you had the Sega Genesis rather than the Sega Megadrive. If you want EmulationStation to show the genesis graphics instead of megadrive then you should create a file /opt/retropie/configs/all/platforms.cfg with the following contents (note this requires at least v4.1.6 of the RetroPie-Setup script).

megadrive_theme="genesis"
megadrive_platform="genesis"

Once this is done, please update any of the currently installed megadrive emulators from RetroPie-Setup and Emulation Station will now use the Genesis logo. Scraping from within Emulation Station should also return Genesis artwork.

Refer to this Retropie wiki for all your setup needs: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
FYI the GPi case "will retail for $69.99 and NO pre-order, we will release it and you can order it directly from amazon and Ali express Shop around the end of May"

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
FYI the GPi case "will retail for $69.99 and NO pre-order, we will release it and you can order it directly from amazon and Ali express Shop around the end of May"

Do you know the official retroflag seller in Ali Express?

Right, I don't mind it being called Megadrive tho, I just find it weird that there's both a Megadrive and Genesis folders in the ROMs folder.

If I recall correctly, one is actually a shortcut to the other (I think only retropie has this "duplicate" folders. Recalbox only has one and you can change the region of consoles from ES itself)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018
If anyone's looking for a cheap Pi Zero, some Targets are clearing out the Google AIY Speaker kit for $15

Contains the Pi Zero w/headers, USB cable, jumper cables, a speaker, and a hat/bonnet
Great deal.

I wish something like that would pop up in the UK. I'm dying to get my hands on a Zero W (or even a Zero) and they're dirt cheap, but some random deal might make me finally buy one.

the 3B is great though, I don't even know why I want one lol

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up the MegaPi case and first impressions are that this is a well built case but man it feels cramped

I have a heat sink on my model 3b+ and I cannot put a fan inside the case with the heat sink on.

Their NES case was much less cramped than this. It really could do with being five mm taller.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut

I've been meaning to pick up two zero's for some projects I'm working on but kinda have just been lazy. Was stoked to see these kits still in stock when I walked into Target today. The vision kits where right next to them but not marked down. I thought about trying to see if I could convince an employee they were both on sale but didn't bother.

I digress, thank you for this post. I ended up with two.

Last edited:

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Anyone know the cheapest easiest way to use a pi zero with a VGA monitor? I stupidly bought a HDMI to VGA adapter along with my zero's thinking they had regular hdmi, never had one before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How do peop scrape game data now? The one in emulationstatuon is kinda broken now.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
How do peop scrape game data now? The one in emulationstatuon is kinda broken now.

Last I tried, I used Stephen Selph (sp, sorry). Tends to work well. The issue I always have is that the names aren't US based, which makes things weird. Generally speaking though, it's not too bad. Besides, once you've got everything curated you can always just make copies of the image folder/gamelist file.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Last I tried, I used Stephen Selph (sp, sorry). Tends to work well. The issue I always have is that the names aren't US based, which makes things weird. Generally speaking though, it's not too bad. Besides, once you've got everything curated you can always just make copies of the image folder/gamelist file.

Cheers will give that a shot.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Cheers will give that a shot.

This works great: https://www.skraper.net/

One thing to check in the options is how it checks the names of the game, by CRC value then name, backwards or one or the other. Personally I choose to check by name. For example, I use my own PS1 ISOs converted to PBP so when it checks CRC values it only downloaded Point Blank game data (which I didn't even have, possibly what pbp converters use). So since I have everything named neatly, when I chose to use the file names instead, it downloaded everything really nicely.

Also you can add videos or logos to download as well (by default for recalbox it only downloads game cover and screenshot I think)

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK

One thing to check in the options is how it checks the names of the game, by CRC value then name, backwards or one or the other. Personally I choose to check by name. For example, I use my own PS1 ISOs converted to PBP so when it checks CRC values it only downloaded Point Blank game data (which I didn't even have, possibly what pbp converters use). So since I have everything named neatly, when I chose to use the file names instead, it downloaded everything really nicely.

Also you can add videos or logos to download as well (by default for recalbox it only downloads game cover and screenshot I think)

Okay that's cool, will also give that a try!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

How would I go about using this with my Emulationstation on my Pi?

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
How would I go about using this with my Emulationstation on my Pi?

Well, the software is for Windows. When you start it, it has some kind of wizard. You select which system you use (Recalbox, Batocera, Retropie, etc) and then it chooses some options by default. You select the folder where the roms are and then it downloads. You can play a bit with the options (like how to set up the images for ES).

The program creates the media folder and the gamelist file to use in ES. Then you copy to your system and should work. I'm sure there are videos out there, but it's not really hard. And if you have your collection on your PC, you only scrape once. Then you can always copy it back to your pi if you do a clean install or whatever.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the software is for Windows. When you start it, it has some kind of wizard. You select which system you use (Recalbox, Batocera, Retropie, etc) and then it chooses some options by default. You select the folder where the roms are and then it downloads. You can play a bit with the options (like how to set up the images for ES).

The program creates the media folder and the gamelist file to use in ES. Then you copy to your system and should work. I'm sure there are videos out there, but it's not really hard. And if you have your collection on your PC, you only scrape once. Then you can always copy it back to your pi if you do a clean install or whatever.

Thank you!

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to get the signup to work on ScreenScraper... I filled out the form and then I get the email. When I click on the link it just loads the front page of the site.

If I try to login then it just reloads the front page again...

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Lattepanda Alpha is getting a spec bump to a Core m3 8100y. The maker is claiming a 30% performance improvement over the old board. IF (and that's a big if) that is true it should be capable of PS2 emulation across the board.
https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1727.html
DFR0545.JPG

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So I guess the only way to get something like this is to build it yourself?

Freeplay is a kit you can buy all you have to get is a gutted GBA shell and be able to drill holes on a template (literally a cheap drill, a screwdriver, and the correct sized bit is all you need)

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Freeplay is a kit you can buy all you have to get is a gutted GBA shell and be able to drill holes on a template (literally a cheap drill, a screwdriver, and the correct sized bit is all you need)

Knowing me I'd drill holes through my hands and end up setting my house on fire. It could be a cool summer project tho.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone see the specs on the Nvidia Jetson Nano yet? Its got the same pin arrangement as the Pi but way more power. Im curious how well it handles the problem systems that the Pi 3b has like various N64, Dreamcast, PSP/PSX or general Naomi stuff.

uzhWdKM.png

Would be very interested in how folks say it handles retropie vs a Pi 3b. Would really enjoy better MVC2 on a single board computer.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Anyone see the specs on the Nvidia Jetson Nano yet? Its got the same pin arrangement as the Pi but way more power. Im curious how well it handles the problem systems that the Pi 3b has like various N64, Dreamcast, PSP/PSX or general Naomi stuff.

uzhWdKM.png

Would be very interested in how folks say it handles retropie vs a Pi 3b. Would really enjoy better MVC2 on a single board computer.

Handles Gamecube pretty decently in some games and PSP is spotty but works in several games. It's an insanely powerful SBC and can handle several times native res in even demanding games like GC. It'll run N64/PS1 without a hiccup and as far as more demanding games it's mainly CPU limited.

If the dolphin team made a build with the newer performance improvements that works on Linux ARM then it could possibly run most games full speed. It does NOT currently support Retropie but I've contacted the dev via twitter and they are interested in supporting it but need the hardware first.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Have you looked into the Odroid XU4? It runs the Dreamcast version of MVC2 really well as well as N64 games.
I've looked it over but its still not Naomi or dreamcast 1 to 1 which is the goal sadly. MVC2 is a benchmark of many things for me and you can instantly tell if its off once you start trying to perform what that game should be capable of.

Handles Gamecube pretty decently in some games and PSP is spotty but works in several games. It's an insanely powerful SBC and can handle several times native res in even demanding games like GC. It'll run N64/PS1 without a hiccup and as far as more demanding games it's mainly CPU limited.

If the dolphin team made a build with the newer performance improvements that works on Linux ARM then it could possibly run most games full speed. It does NOT currently support Retropie but I've contacted the dev via twitter and they are interested in supporting it but need the hardware first.

Whoa...dolphin?
As in I could potentially run Tatsunoko vs Capcom on a single board computer sometime? Now THAT is a life goal. I have the game, the japanese prequel to UAS, and run it on the latest dolphin for netplay and shader glory. If I could do the latter I'd setup a head to head portable cabinet with backup USB ports for stick swaps. Hello instant TVC tourney setup.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I moved my Pi to the lounge and set it up but the picture doesn't extend all the way to the bottom of the screen like it did on the bedroom TV

I've had a look at my TV settings and can't find a way to fix it, and the same goes for the Pi

It looks like this:

Any idea on how to fix this?

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I moved my Pi to the lounge and set it up but the picture doesn't extend all the way to the bottom of the screen like it did on the bedroom TV

I've had a look at my TV settings and can't find a way to fix it, and the same goes for the Pi

It looks like this:

Any idea on how to fix this?

I think your previous TV had overscan enabled and that's why you didn't see those lines (if you didn't touch any setting)

You should see if Emulation Station doesn't have a setting for overscan enabled (recalbox and batocera have it) or you can check what aspect ratio is configured also in Emulation Station (if Auto, 4/3 and/or pixel perfect mode)

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think your previous TV had overscan enabled and that's why you didn't see those lines (if you didn't touch any setting)

You should see if Emulation Station doesn't have a setting for overscan enabled (recalbox and batocera have it) or you can check what aspect ratio is configured also in Emulation Station (if Auto, 4/3 and/or pixel perfect mode)

I check the individual emulators to ensure they're running at the right (more or less) aspect ratio, but is there a way of doing that for emulation station as a whole? I couldn't find anything in settings

My other TV is a 1080 and I choose Just Scan as the output, and that seems to work, whereas my 4K TV doesn't give me that option anywhere I can find

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I check the individual emulators to ensure they're running at the right (more or less) aspect ratio, but is there a way of doing that for emulation station as a whole? I couldn't find anything in settings

My other TV is a 1080 and I choose Just Scan as the output, and that seems to work, whereas my 4K TV doesn't give me that option anywhere I can find

I use recalbox so I don't have to select settings from each emulator on Retroarch but I THINK it should also be on Retropie. You should press start while in the menu and then check the video and game settings... But like I said, I mostly use recalbox for ease of use and haven't touched retropie since the first time I touched a Raspberry.

Regarding the 1080p and 4k TV, I also used my RPI on both TVs and both look perfect. If you press info on your TV remote, does it say if it's showing a 720p or a 1080p signal?

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I use recalbox so I don't have to select settings from each emulator on Retroarch but I THINK it should also be on Retropie. You should press start while in the menu and then check the video and game settings... But like I said, I mostly use recalbox for ease of use and haven't touched retropie since the first time I touched a Raspberry.

Regarding the 1080p and 4k TV, I also used my RPI on both TVs and both look perfect. If you press info on your TV remote, does it say if it's showing a 720p or a 1080p signal?

No but when I select the channel it says "raspberry" and 1080p so it's displaying at 1080

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
No but when I select the channel it says "raspberry" and 1080p so it's displaying at 1080

Then it's a scaling issue your 4k TV is having with a 1080p signal (although, a really weird one that I can't say it makes a lot of sense).

What's your tv model? So we can see what sort of display options it has.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Then it's a scaling issue your 4k TV is having with a 1080p signal (although, a really weird one that I can't say it makes a lot of sense).

What's your tv model? So we can see what sort of display options it has.

Ah good question

I'll have a look to see the exact model later, it's a 4K Sony model from 2017 though

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Not sure if anyone here is familiar with the matchbox-keyboard in raspbian but was wondering if anyone here has used it and can help me fix an issue where it prevents anything from being placed in the top half of the screen.