• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How did you discover Raspberry Pi gaming?

• This thread

Votes: 85 11.8%
  • Friends / colleagues had one / talking about it.

Votes: 100 13.9%
  • Online blogs / Video websites

Votes: 371 51.4%
  • Saw it in a shop / online store

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • I used Pi's already at work / learning / hobby

Votes: 157 21.7%

• Total voters

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Nvidia is launching a $99 development board which basically Switch hardware in raspberry pi form factor right down to the 4gb of RAM. It's also going to be sold through traditional outlets so it should be easy for people to get their hands on

https://www.androidauthority.com/nvidia-jetson-nano-966609/

Supports Linux out of the box so it sounds like a powerful emulation machine.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nvidia is launching a $99 development board which basically Switch hardware in raspberry pi form factor right down to the 4gb of RAM. It's also going to be sold through traditional outlets so it should be easy for people to get their hands on

So would this be able to run Dolphin and/or PS2 emulation to a decent standard?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So would this be able to run Dolphin and/or PS2 emulation to a decent standard?

I doubt it. Digital Foundry did a bunch of benches with ShieldTV (which is signficantly more powerful) and in a lot of games it couldn't quite manage full framerate. Interestingly, resolution was almost irrelevant. Running at 480 only gained you a couple extra frames over uber resolutions. And, again, Shield TV is way more powerful and the drivers are perfect (being an official Nvidia retail product).

An X2 basically would have allowed perfect Dolphin at 4k. But it seems like Switch killed this from ever happening.

This could still be an awesome product for emulation, though. Shaders/time machine and not having to deal with Android lag would make it awesome.

And on a non-gaming angle, it would play back HEVC files. And supports USB 3.0. So it could make an awesome little media device too.

Oct 27, 2018
Not strictly for gaming but I'm hoping someone can help? I'm after the cheapest possible Raspberry Pi that can connect to the internet, either by wifi or ethernet. The internet part is so I can configure it all with PuTTY on my laptop. It will be connected to a TV all day, playing videos on loop.

The idea is to buy a Pi for as cheap as possible, get it up and running as required and if the client is happy with it, clone the micro SD card onto a load of other identical devices.

I'd guess the Pi 1 Model B+ or the Pi Zero W would be the cheapest options? I'll price up some below but let me know if anyone knows where to get it all cheaper in the UK.

Required:
Raspberry Pi
A case; don't care how it looks.
A power supply.
I guess if I get a Zero, I'll need a mini HDMI/HDMI adaptor?
HDMI lead.
A 128GB micro SD card
Have I missed anything? I won't need a heatsink if it's just playing videos all day, will I?

Pi Zero W
Raspberry Pi Zero Wireless WH (Pre-Soldered Header) £13.00
Raspberry Pi Zero Case - Black - SKU04713 £3.59
Power Supply - UK Plug 5.1V 2.5A £6.00
Pi Zero HDMI Adaptor White (Mini HDMI to HDMI) £2.00
2m HDMI Cable £2.98
Kingston SDCS/128 GB MicroSD Canvas Select Class 10 UHS-I £14.88
Total: £39.47 BAD MATHS, actual total: £42.45

Pi 1 B+
Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ 26.75
Raspberry Pi Model B Case - Clear - MC-RP001-CLR £2.39
2m HDMI Cable £2.98
Total: £53.00

Pi 3 B+
Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B+ £34.00
2m HDMI Cable £2.98
Total: £60.25

So the Zero wins, I guess? The case is absolutely perfect too. I can't help feeling like I'm missing something though. I only have experience with the 3 and I just bought the starter kit for Retropie so everything came with it.

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Not strictly for gaming but I'm hoping someone can help? I'm after the cheapest possible Raspberry Pi that can connect to the internet, either by wifi or ethernet. The internet part is so I can configure it all with PuTTY on my laptop. It will be connected to a TV all day, playing videos on loop.

The idea is to buy a Pi for as cheap as possible, get it up and running as required and if the client is happy with it, clone the micro SD card onto a load of other identical devices.

I'd guess the Pi 1 Model B+ or the Pi Zero W would be the cheapest options? I'll price up some below but let me know if anyone knows where to get it all cheaper in the UK.

Required:
Raspberry Pi
A case; don't care how it looks.
A power supply.
I guess if I get a Zero, I'll need a mini HDMI/HDMI adaptor?
HDMI lead.
A 128GB micro SD card
Have I missed anything? I won't need a heatsink if it's just playing videos all day, will I?

Pi Zero W
Raspberry Pi Zero Wireless WH (Pre-Soldered Header) £13.00
Raspberry Pi Zero Case - Black - SKU04713 £3.59
Pi Zero HDMI Adaptor White (Mini HDMI to HDMI) £2.00
2m HDMI Cable £2.98
Total: £39.47

Pi 1 B+
Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ 26.75
2m HDMI Cable £2.98
Total: £53.00

Pi 3 B+
Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B+ £34.00
2m HDMI Cable £2.98
Total: £60.25

So the Zero wins, I guess? The case is absolutely perfect too. I can't help feeling like I'm missing something though. I only have experience with the 3 and I just bought the starter kit for Retropie so everything came with it.

Check out the Pi zero W canakit starter kit without the pre-soldered heads. Looping a video doesn't require the headers (unless something is being left out here) and it should do 720p playback and maybe 1080p at a low bitrate without issue. Also the pi doesn't work quite right with SD cards bigger than 32GB out of the box (you can set it up to work but it requires doing the setup process a bit differently). I also can't see you needing 128GB for the types of videos the pi zero would be running in the first place.

https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-zero-wireless.html

You'll still need an HDMI but that's about it.

Oct 27, 2018
Check out the Pi zero W canakit starter kit without the pre-soldered heads. Looping a video doesn't require the headers (unless something is being left out here)
Yeah to be honest I've no idea what those headers are, hence me opting for that version. 😂 If I don't need them, even better.

As for SD card size, I've not received the videos yet but I've been told they're 1080p, about 20 mins each in length, but there are about 100 of them. I was just covering all bases, really. Hopefully when I get them, they won't be anywhere near 128GB and I can trim the budget even further on a smaller card.

That CanaKit link isn't UK based but there's a similar Raspberry Pi Zero W Starter Kit on Amazon.co.uk for £19.99. I can't figured out if it comes with a power supply though. If not, it still works out cheaper to buy all the parts separately. (£43.85 vs £42.45) Doesn't seem a lot on one unit but on, for example, 50 units it would be a £70 saving.

However, If I go through modmypi I can get the following:
Raspberry Pi Zero: Raspberry Pi Zero Wireless **MMP-0671**
Micro SD Card: No Thanks!
Power Supply Select: UK **MMP-0018**
Zero Case Select: No Thanks!
Mini HDMI/HDMI Adaptor: Mini HDMI/HDMI Adaptor White **MMP-0674**
Micro USB/USB Adaptor: No Thanks!
Zero 40 Pin Header: No
3 Port USB Hub w/ Ethernet: No
Micro USB Shim: No
Workshop Kit: No Thanks
Total cost: £16.00

Add the case I chose earlier, a HDMI cable and the 128GB micro SD card (for pricing consistency) and it comes to £37.45.

Strangely, if I split it all back up and get the Raspberry Pi Zero Wireless for £9.10. Add on the rest of the Zero list from earlier (so it's basically the same but swapped out the pre-soldered header version) the total cost would be £38.55.

Seems like the bundle from modmypi + a few added bits is the best? So long as I'm not missing anything...

Sturoboros

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend me a white Pi case, one that looks like a video game console but isn't based on an actual existing machine like a NES, SNES, Mega Drive etc.

Strange request I know. But I've got three white machines under my TV and need to finish the continuity.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
-- Update --
Never mind. I didn't know you could set 'display_rotate=2' in the config.txt on boot partition. Now my screen looks great. Now just need to sort out audio (either via tiny i2c amp or through pwc remapping).

-- Old Post --
A bit of a shot in the dark here but has anybody tried rebuilding the linux kernel? I've got one of the v2.1 spi 1.44" displays (red one) and I need the ribbon cable to go a specific way. So I have the display set to rotate by 180 but in doing so I get 32 rows of junk pixels on the screen. This seems to be a known issue for these screens but I can't find any simple ways to fix it outside rebuilding fbtft.

9163-1-1-01.png

https://luigidifraia.wordpress.com/2016/02/20/1-44-spi-128128-lcds-explained/

If you wonder what i'm up to, I'm doing the pi zero in a tiny arcade build. I previously was trying to put it into a namco shell but gave up not being able to do the controls the way I wanted to and a tiny arcade has that done for me.

Last edited:

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone tried the latest RetroPie (through the built-in updater)? A pull request was merged with the latest master branch of ppsspp standalone. I wonder how it works, has anyone tested it yet?

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moonlight(-embedded) is awesome, especially with a script made by a new contributor. I've been testing out some Mario Kart 8 on the RPi 3B+ and it works great. In case you don't know what this is, it's a way to stream games from an nvidia-based host system to your RetroPie setup.

There's a fairly lengthy tutorial here: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/19872/moonlight-request-for-comments-and-testing

In short: enable Game Stream in GeForce Experience, pair the systems, add shortcuts to your games there, then add an .ml file to your steam directory on the Pi (which describes the "app" to launch on the host system) and add it to the gamelist.xml.

This works especially well with PC games or emulators on the host computer that support per-game configuration like PCSX2.

To quit streaming, press Select + Start + RB + LB on your controller, which is something I had to Google.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone tried the latest RetroPie (through the built-in updater)? A pull request was merged with the latest master branch of ppsspp standalone. I wonder how it works, has anyone tested it yet?

I tried it out yesterday and couldn't see any noticeable difference in performance from the previous version.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Picked up the 8bitdo M30, the DPAD is amazing. just works out of the box. in love with this thing.

xPVT5Ak.jpg

Compared to the 8bitdo SN30

nElmnyA.jpg

it's definitely worth a buy.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like some progress is being made towards a new version of DraStic being added to RetroPie that fixes a couple of major issues. Namely games that require the mic crashing and the emulator not properly clearing the framebuffer on exit (necessitating a complete reboot of the Pi after exiting DraStic if you want to run anything else).

xillyriax

Game Test Analyst
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
Looking to put my old Pi zero to good use and came across these pi console controllers where folks stick all the guts into a SNES or even an NES controller. Anyone know if it's been done with a PS3 controller? Is there enough space?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Does the Retroarch Genesis Plus GX core just not work for SMS games that had to have their FM soundtracks patched to play? Phantasy Star Retranslation will boot into PSG mode but if you press Pause on the title screen to swap from PSG to FM, you get silence instead. I've seen online that it's a known issue and that changing the audio configuration within Retroarch from "Master System FM (YM2413) -> auto" to "Master System FM (YM2413) -> enabled" is supposed to fix the problem but after a soft/hard reset it just causes the emulator to crash and thrusts me back into Emulation Station. Did the same thing with another FM hack (Wonderboy III). They otherwise work as intended when run on my PC using Gen Fusion.

Meanwhile, unpatched games that enable FM music if they detect compatible hardware will work under "auto" just fine (Double Dragon, Golvellius). What's the dealio?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Is there not an option to enable in the settings for the Genesis Plus GX core??
Pretty sure I described that part, it only leads to the emu crashing. It's strange because it doesn't seem to be an issue for people who have had the same problem, manually changing the config is supposed to work. Meaning my situation is different somehow, and I updated all the cores not that long ago so it's not like I'm using an old build.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Pretty sure I described that part, it only leads to the emu crashing. It's strange because it doesn't seem to be an issue for people who have had the same problem, manually changing the config is supposed to work. Meaning my situation is different somehow, and I updated all the cores not that long ago so it's not like I'm using an old build.

It sounds like you've eliminated all other possible causes there's no other explanation other than it being the ROM or the patch causing the problem.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland

The dev kit version of Jetson Nano is now out (arrived to customers out). Going to get a chance to play around with one next month.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The dev kit version of Jetson Nano is now out (arrived to customers out). Going to get a chance to play around with one next month.

Yup, I've been updating a separate thread over it. Exciting stuff! It even runs Dolphin and Emulation Station but I can't justify the expense atm.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any stand-alone pi-like device that can handle PS2 emulation decently enough? I don't want anything perfect, but I'm trying to move toward getting rid of my physical games, and if I could knock PS2 out of my physical collection I'd be like 90% of the way there.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Is there any stand-alone pi-like device that can handle PS2 emulation decently enough? I don't want anything perfect, but I'm trying to move toward getting rid of my physical games, and if I could knock PS2 out of my physical collection I'd be like 90% of the way there.

Only notable PS2 emulator is PCSX2 which doesn't have an official arm build. So basically you're stuck with x86 PC'. For that best option would be the Lattepanda alpha and I'm not comfortable saying the low power CPU could handle PS2 emulation which is notoriously CPU heavy.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I've been thinking about finally setting up a Pi for an all in one emulator...

Has there been any news recently about the Pi 4? Is it worth buying a 3+ right now or should I wait?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Cool Thanks guys

I imagine the power information from the OP is still valid (tho it only mention 3 and not 3+ specifically)... So it's like up to PS1 very well and then ok for DC? Something like that?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Cool Thanks guys

I imagine the power information from the OP is still valid (tho it only mention 3 and not 3+ specifically)... So it's like up to PS1 very well and then ok for DC? Something like that?
Every PSX game I've tried works great without any slowdown. However, if you try using fancy filters, you'll want to do a mild overclock. Also, there is a fix for some anime game that can cause sound issues in other games, so make sure it isn't turned on.

For Dreamcast, an overclock is a must and only some games run well.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Every PSX game I've tried works great without any slowdown. However, if you try using fancy filters, you'll want to do a mild overclock. Also, there is a fix for some anime game that can cause sound issues in other games, so make sure it isn't turned on.

For Dreamcast, an overclock is a must and only some games run well.
Cool thanks.

Btw, does using a regular micro SD vs a SDXC or SDHC makes a difference? Other than the actual capacity obviously

Any speed requirements I should be looking out for when picking a card?

Oh and extra question... Do they make adapters to convert the Wii controller plugs to USB? Basically is there a cheap way I could use my SNES controllers I got with the SNES Classic with the PI?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Cool thanks.

Btw, does using a regular micro SD vs a SDXC or SDHC makes a difference? Other than the actual capacity obviously

Any speed requirements I should be looking out for when picking a card?

Oh and extra question... Do they make adapters to convert the Wii controller plugs to USB? Basically is there a cheap way I could use my SNES controllers I got with the SNES Classic with the PI?
Try not to get some cheap no name knock off, I know some people have had stutter issues in more hardware intensive emulation when using some slow, cheap microsd card. That said, you don't need a super fast card either, I'm using a SanDisk 128GB Ultra card and it worked without issue. Oh yeah, buy the card from a reliable source, I know eBay is full of fake microSD cards.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Try not to get some cheap no name knock off, I know some people have had stutter issues in more hardware intensive emulation when using some slow, cheap microsd card. That said, you don't need a super fast card either, I'm using a SanDisk 128GB Ultra card and it worked without issue. Oh yeah, buy the card from a reliable source, I know eBay is full of fake microSD cards.
All right thanks for the info!

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
So I know it's not gaming or emulation related but I figured I'd post it here anyways. I am by no means crafty or good with tools etc but I plan on trying to make one of those magic mirrors. So far I got this going for me so far.

+Already have a stripped monitor ready to use.
+I work at a frame factory. So all I do all day is make picture frames and atleast know how to use that machinery.
-I'm horrible with following though and the finer details.

Already a piece of acrylic picked out on Amazon, will cut to size at work.

Hopefully this ends well, if it comes out nice I'm set it up at work.

Last edited:

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome!! BlastEM is finally in the Core Download list!!!! (for windows + Linux)

This with RA Run ahead feature has to give the Mega SG FPGA system a run for its money......in fact there'd be less latency on RA!!

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
BIG NEWS

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ng_your_raspberry_pi_inside_this_awesome_case

It's a case for the Pi zero, that will allow you to transform the device into the original gameboy with a colour screen using batteries and has a 6 button layout. The Pi zero can emulate, GB, SNES, Genesis, Game Gear, GBA amd a few others , it can do PSX and N64 but it is very slow.

Pretty amazing, no release date or price, but it won't be that expensive compared to what RetroFlag have released so far.

gpi-case.original.jpg

img-9816.original.jpg

img-9814.original.jpg

img-9811.original.jpg

img-9818.original.jpg

EDIT: Made a thread about it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/working-game-boy-case-coming-soon-retroflag.111864/

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Hi. Is the Rockpi 4b compatible with rasp cases? The Megapi case to be clear. This is much more powerful than rasp, I think it runs Dreamcadt without problems, I have interest in that but the cases are a concern.

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is Raspberry topic but does anyone here have ODROID-XU4? I'm comparing specs and reading impressions and this Odroid model looks like ideal emulation machine for my TV.
It's really good. I was trying some Dreamcast fighting games and I couldn't detect any skipped frames or lag. The XU4 is on sale right now for $50 at Hardkernel.com. Paired with the mini N64 case with LCD screen, it's an awesome little system. Sorry if this sounds like thread crapping, but I will be playing the XU4 a lot more than my Pi3 setup.