• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How did you discover Raspberry Pi gaming?

• This thread

Votes: 85 11.8%
  • Friends / colleagues had one / talking about it.

Votes: 100 13.9%
  • Online blogs / Video websites

Votes: 371 51.4%
  • Saw it in a shop / online store

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • I used Pi's already at work / learning / hobby

Votes: 157 21.7%

• Total voters

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about upgrading my storage. At first I was just planning on getting a new SD card, but after doing some reading I'm thinking about going with a low-profile USB drive instead. Anyone else in here who uses USB? Pros/cons? Are you happy with it compared to using SD?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I feel like It was either on Resetera or another forum that I heard people thinking the Rp4 was coming sometime in 2019, unfortunately it is not.

We talked to Raspberry Pi Creator and current CEO of Raspberry Pi Trading (the commerce arm of the foundation) Eben Upton and got the skinny on the Raspberry Pi 4, including details about its potential release date, name and the number of size of the process technology it may use.
Pi fans who have been hoping for a new Pi 4 this year will be disappointed to learn that there is no way it's coming out earlier than 2020.

"I don't have a route to do something this year," he told us. "I think we kind of understand what featureset we want [and] what would be involved in getting that featureset. I don't think we have a defined plan for turning that into a product yet."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-everything-we-know,38539.html

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ok, I want to get into this, mainly for a small Emulation machine with a screen that can also output to HDMI (if thats possible) without reading through all the pages, where should I start to look into this?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got it!

It feels good and I like the build quality a lot. Unfortunately it came with zero instructions, so if anybody has any tips on where to start I'd greatly appreciate it. I know I have to solder some wires to the Pi 3 that I provide, but that's about all I know.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like in this pic, that I should solder yellow to PP49, white to PP45, and red to PP44, and the black ones go the little nub kitty corner to the red one. Does that seem right?

HTB1kKB_XdjvK1RjSspiq6AEqXXaj.jpg

Also, it came with this thing with a sticky side. Is this a heatsink? I'm thinking it goes on the little black square on the Pi that says broadcom? Thanks for any help :) I am going to reach out to the seller too, since I'm sure I'll need specific software to put on the SD card anyway.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so I soldered the 4 wires and applied the heatsink without too much trouble. It's not beautiful solder work, but it gets the job done.

I put everything back together and it works... kinda. It works over HDMI, but it does not work via the built-in screen. Controls and everything work fine. Any tips? I've been messing around with the config file, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Using Retropie btw.

I should mention, and this might actually be the issue, I'm using stock Retropie. The seller provided a download for Retropie, Lakka, and something else, but it was on a Baidu website where everything was Chinese, it wanted me to install a program and create an account. Everything looked really sketchy so I noped out. But I'm thinking that specific build had everything configured correctly and maybe I should go back and download it. Any advice from anyone?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Good news! I used the provided image of RetroPie and everything works now! The sound is a little tinny, but everything else is pretty great. I'm happy with the handheld.

I guess not everything works, the HDMI connection doesn't work anymore. I thought setting hdmi_force_hotplug and hdmi_drive would do it, but that didn't work. I can get sound through HDMI though. Anybody have any advice on easily switching between HDMI and LCD?

I feel like I'm the only one talking in here :p

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys, I'm just glad I got it working. My thumb is sore from unscrewing the case so many times and tinkering. I think I'm going to take a break from making it perfect (mostly just missing HDMI support now) and play some games.

dJQ8eTn.jpg

The first game I ever owned.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
What are the new features? Are there release notes anywhere?

Kid mode for the UI, grid mode for gamelists, the ability to search for local art (not sure exactly what that is), basically stuff that had been around in the dev/experimental build for a while. And also the new GamesDB API has been implemented for the internal scraper, as well as ScreenScraper being added as an option.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys, I'm just glad I got it working. My thumb is sore from unscrewing the case so many times and tinkering. I think I'm going to take a break from making it perfect (mostly just missing HDMI support now) and play some games.

dJQ8eTn.jpg

The first game I ever owned.
Which "option" did you select when ordering? What do they even mean?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Which "option" did you select when ordering? What do they even mean?
I picked option B, everything was already put together except for the Raspberry Pi. You have to provide that yourself, solder 4 wires to it, and apply the heatsink. Nothing too difficult.

The different models are in different variations of put-togetherness. One model, nothing is put together, one model everything is put together except for the Pi, and one model everything is put together. And then one of them is just the metal case.

If you do order, be advised it may take a while. My order took over 2 months.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking about emulating some Amiga games (Faery Tale Adventure, Cinemaware and a few others). Would this be the best way to go at it?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
2 quick questions:

1) Is there a way to make all GB games by default work in back and white and not the OG green GB colour? If so, where do you find this? GB games look pretty bad on a modern TV in their original colour

2) There are so many MAME folders in the ROMS folder, how do you know which games go where?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Anyone tried running the Windows x86 for Pi build that popped up recently? I'm morbidly curious on how it runs and even moreso on if someone can manage to get games running on it.

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017

"I think everyone's wish list for the product looks the same: more processor, more RAM, faster network [and] faster non-multimedia I/O," Upton told us."

That's way too handwavy to pick apart into molecules. But "faster non-multimedia I/O"? No 4k would be a shame, and limit their industrial customer base. But I'm probably reading way too much into a throwaway comment here.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
So I was able to pick up an Arcade1up cab for cheap (if you have a physical ThinkGeek store, Street Fighter is on clearance for $150 and its B1g1 free on clearance items...), and am going to mod it. I've changed out the buttons and am planning on either going with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ or a Odroid. The only thing I'm iffy on is retropie's ability to play certain games. I'm not too concerned about getting 3d games to work, but I want to know if MVC2 (either naomi or DC version) and KI2 arcade work well now. Anyone know? Thanks!

Smaug18

Dec 15, 2017
But how are die diagonals? I have two of the SNES style 8bitdo Controllers and the diagonals were so bad games relying on them, like for example Contra 3 were completely unplayable. Hope this better now with the SEGA style pad?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
But how are die diagonals? I have two of the SNES style 8bitdo Controllers and the diagonals were so bad games relying on them, like for example Contra 3 were completely unplayable. Hope this better now with the SEGA style pad?
I have been saying that for a while about the 8bit snes controllers and people think I am just too picky. I got rid of mines for that reason.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I got an 8bitdo controller a year or two ago (the Famicon looking one with analog sticks), and I just didn't like how anything in that controller felt. Buttons felt cheap to press, d-pad was meh, and the analog sticks weren't great either (and a lot of the reviews for the controller were positive overall).

They seem to have gotten fairly popular lately, so hopefully they've gotten better at the basics with their controls these days, I'm just hesitant to try them out after my experience with them.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I like mine a lot, but I'll admit I can't think if any games I play on them that I would notice an issue with diagonals.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Only issue I've ever had with my 8bitdo is if you shove the left analog stick up at an angle and push it in it'll stick there until you pop it out and I'm 70% certain that that's something the cats did

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is Raspberry topic but does anyone here have ODROID-XU4? I'm comparing specs and reading impressions and this Odroid model looks like ideal emulation machine for my TV.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I got an 8bitdo controller a year or two ago (the Famicon looking one with analog sticks), and I just didn't like how anything in that controller felt. Buttons felt cheap to press, d-pad was meh, and the analog sticks weren't great either (and a lot of the reviews for the controller were positive overall).

They seem to have gotten fairly popular lately, so hopefully they've gotten better at the basics with their controls these days, I'm just hesitant to try them out after my experience with them.
That model in particular wasn't so great. The newer SNES-based controllers with analog sticks and triggers are much better. Full size and not tiny like the old ones with much better buttons, especially the L1/L2/R1/R2 ones.

In general though while the build quality could be better and I really shouldn't have to futz around with FW updates on the things as much as they expect you to do, the controllers are alright. Not too many other <retro controller> + analog sticks options out there.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
That model in particular wasn't so great. The newer SNES-based controllers with analog sticks and triggers are much better. Full size and not tiny like the old ones with much better buttons, especially the L1/L2/R1/R2 ones.

In general though while the build quality could be better and I really shouldn't have to futz around with FW updates on the things as much as they expect you to do, the controllers are alright. Not too many other <retro controller> + analog sticks options out there.

I have one of the newer SNES-based ones and I'm not the person you quoted but are you telling me these controllers were smaller? Jeez. As is the controller feels great to me besides the size of it, but that's only because I'm so used to how big current controllers are (I use a Xbox One Elite with the MS Chatpad attachmant on it, I like bulky controllers).

I've neglicted my pie as of late, I just need to pick up a second one so I leave my first as is. I don't know why I still haven't, I spent freakin $20 at taco bell today. Need pihole at the least.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I think I have the same one as you, mine is the NESPro30 I think

It's a little small but it's served me well, and I've put about 200/300 hours into my Pi since mid 2017

The A button has started to feel a little soft compared to the others though, so I can see where you're coming from

I might invest in a newer model if I decide to upgrade

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Sometime last year I impulse purchased a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B pre-installed in one of those NerdBlock Sega Genesis 4-port USB hub cases from a seller on Etsy. I neglected it for a while because the USB controller that came with it was super flimsy but I'm finally getting around to updating packages and loading roms using Retropie Manager. However I'm finding that at stock configurations, the Pi hits the 75F degree temp ceiling way too easily just playing Genesis games with stock settings (a little gauge flashes onscreen when it gets above the limit). There's no fan in the case and I'm fairly certain there isn't a heatsink in place, so that's probably why. Anybody have experience with these cases and can advise on my next course of action? I should note: the case itself does not have any vents at all other than an open hole in the bottom of the unit for SDCARD access.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
doesn't seem like it, typing in "lscpu" at the console tells me the max is set at 1200 mhz.

edit: messing with video resolutions while playing 10 minutes of Rocket Knight, guess it makes sense that temp averages about 68 degrees when res is set across the board at 320x240, but of course that makes the picture look like crap on my 1080p Sharp, misaligned pixels all over

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
doesn't seem like it, typing in "lscpu" at the console tells me the max is set at 1200 mhz.

edit: messing with video resolutions while playing 10 minutes of Rocket Knight, guess it makes sense that temp averages about 68 degrees when res is set across the board at 320x240, but of course that makes the picture look like crap on my 1080p Sharp, misaligned pixels all over

You should never be running a 3b without an adequate heatsink.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
You should never be running a 3b without an adequate heatsink.
To satisfy my curiosity I decided to take a look under the hood and see for myself if it had one or not. To my surprise, there were heatsinks in place:

20190316-110845.jpg

Hell if I know if it qualifies as "adequate", but it's there. I think maybe now that I have it apart I'd like to cut some vent holes alongside the case where vent holes are supposed to be on a real Mega Drive to see if that might help?

EDIT: realized that the cosmetic "volume slider" is an open groove in the case that allows heat to escape, but clearly not nearly enough and in the wrong part of the case. Also the builder glued the power switch in the area underneath the vent grooves so I'll have to be careful not to damage it as I cut.

Last edited:

LatscherGnu

Apr 23, 2018
I ended up just getting one of those metal cases where the case is the heatsink for my 3b that i'm using for emulation/streaming because even with those standard heatsinks in an open case it would hit thermal throttling quite often and i wanted to avoid active cooling. (a metal case is obviously blocking a lot of functionality, just wanted to share that the need for better cooling is quite common)

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Sometime last year I impulse purchased a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B pre-installed in one of those NerdBlock Sega Genesis 4-port USB hub cases from a seller on Etsy. I neglected it for a while because the USB controller that came with it was super flimsy but I'm finally getting around to updating packages and loading roms using Retropie Manager. However I'm finding that at stock configurations, the Pi hits the 75F degree temp ceiling way too easily just playing Genesis games with stock settings (a little gauge flashes onscreen when it gets above the limit). There's no fan in the case and I'm fairly certain there isn't a heatsink in place, so that's probably why. Anybody have experience with these cases and can advise on my next course of action? I should note: the case itself does not have any vents at all other than an open hole in the bottom of the unit for SDCARD access.

I have a similiar setup (purchased from eBay, seller seems to be gone / quit eBay now).

Never had a heat warning on it and I spent a lot of hours testing, and some time pushing it (snes MSU-1 doesn't quite have enough CPU power...starts dropping frames)
Mine also has heat sinks installed, perhaps your heat sinks aren't well installed, or very good?

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
get a flirc case

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Sure thing, just waiting on that Pi 4 or better. ;)

Nah, I think I'll stick to this as is. Seems if I keep output resolution to 960x720 and the scanline filter off it won't hit the max and still look decent on my HDTV. However now that I'm aware of the overheating problem I'll be sure to be more vigilant when purchasing similar hardware.

Also, even if I wanted to switch cases the seller had soldered the 4-port USB hub to the Pi which I'm not sure how to undo. Or would want to risk undoing. EDIT: actually I think it was hot-glued to the PCB which I remember made me go 'what?'.