• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In general, I find populism really alienating because it tends to denigrate our institutions in favor of a cult of personality, which Bernie has definitely been elevated to. This is just another example of that. I recognize my confirmation bias here. I'm just frustrated.

This is funny to me, after what happened with the impeachment process.

The political institutions of most of the first world democratic countries are in shambles or seriously damaged and not because of populism.

Is because of how ineffective or downright rotten they are, a person like Trump can be still be on the office.

Oct 25, 2017
This has always fascinated me. She "campaigned" for the bill, as First Lady, a figurehead position with no actual legislative power. Meanwhile the person who wrote it (Joe Biden) and the Congressman who voted for it (Sanders) never get any shit for their part. I wonder why...
It really is fascinating.

Not only did Bernie vote for the bill, but he proudly displayed that vote along with his support for other disastrous tough on crime policies at the time.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Well that's a whole lot worse than I expected. What in the fuck is she thinking? Fucking hell.
She's probably thinking she's terrified of Bernie winning and will do anything to stop him because her entire life is built on the assumption that radical change for the better isn't possible. And it's not just her own material worth that relies on that assumption, but also how she sees herself as a smart and moral person.

I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of people who have strongly bought into third way politics reacts similarly, even though it appears on an intelectual level they know if Bernie is right and they're wrong it'd result in a better world overall.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It'd probably be cooler if Tlaib and pals booed Clinton for her TERF horseshit instead of because she said A Mean About Bernie, but it's still pretty funny.

Damn, completely erasing a female POCs autonomy, saying that she's only doing it to protect some old white man, instead of many other reasons she could be boo'ing? I would consider apologising for this post that is in extremely poor taste.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sounds like a great way to get the person you actually want to win more voters in a close primary.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
It's always depressing to see a TERF get such a strong defence force on here.

And most TERFs haven't done a fraction of the other crap Hillary has. She deserves to get boo'd. A lot of politicians do.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
No one should be throwing Rashida under the bus for doing this. It's her right as a supporter and friend of Bernie if she wants to. The question should be is it politically advantageous to do so. She only won by 1 point in a predominantly AA district that likely still has a lot of love for the Clinton's (despite Hillary having a poor showing there in 16). It's just unecessary. Bernie doesn't need the peanut gallery to stick up for him he's perfectly capable of ignoring Hillary's comments or engaging with them himself. As posters here are so fond of pointing out, Hillary is no longer an elected official in any capacity so why even bother?

Good thing we have people like the woman in the squad who actually care about saying what's right rather being career politicians who uselessly toe the line.

I'll help you understand with a few simple details:
She's a TERF

She's repeatedly praised Henry Kissinger, the man responsible for the destruction of multiple South American societies and the deaths of millions of people.

She used black slave labor at the governor's mansion in Arkansas

She campaigned for the crime bill in the 90's and espoused extremely racist views about black people ("super predators" etc.)

There is plenty more, but that's a start. Yes, she was smeared heavily by Republicans with made up bullshit, and yes she would've been a competent president in terms of understanding the office and using it to suit her goals effectively. Would've been much better than Trump, obviously. That said...there are PLENTY of reasons to dislike her that are legitimate and informed entirely from her own policies and behavior.

Just requoting this for the Hillary defenders who keep ignoring it to say people on the left just dislike her because of media/GOP demonisation.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I am talking about Rashida. I'm saying that while I don't think her booing Hillary is necessarily going to torpedo her next run it's still a politically silly thing to do. I'd doubt she gets more donations because of it (she's already plenty popular with out of state leftists) and could *possibly* upset some of her constituents. Is that a sure thing? No, but why bother when there's even a chance and all it does is serve to give further platform to Hillary when everyone just wants her to go away anyway?
Hillary lost MI twice, and is deeply unpopular in this district (as she is in most places whose economies were once rooted in manufacturing.) As someone who lives here and supported Tlaib in 2018, my only concern is that she won out of a 4-way race for the Dem primary and could be vulnerable in that way. But she's also done a good job of both doing the small, quiet things that show up in constituent newsletters and being vocal in her opposition to the presidency and modern GOP, so I don't expect her to have a tough time this year. And I am very much looking forward to voting for her again.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

I really think people should learn more about Hillary and MAYBE be a tad more sympathetic to the flawed human being she is

Completely unfairly maligned over her entire lifetime and career. Not making excuses for her mistakes as well but she isn't the fucking devil worthy of booing in my opinion

Hillary lost MI twice, and is deeply unpopular in this district (as she is in most places whose economies were once rooted in manufacturing.) As someone who lives here and supported Tlaib in 2018, my only concern is that she won out of a 4-way race for the Dem primary and could be vulnerable in that way. But she's also done a good job of both doing the small, quiet things that show up in constituent newsletters and being vocal in her opposition to the presidency and modern GOP, so I don't expect her to have a tough time this year. And I am very much looking forward to voting for her again.

She lost in part because of the image and perception created from mountains of lies and any woman that tries to run for a position of power will be and HAS been subject to the same treatment through out our fucking history

Did we all forget that after the fact that she has been exonerated of damn near everything that was made up about her?

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
Good thing we have people like the woman in the squad who actually care about saying what's right rather being career politicians who uselessly toe the line.

Just requoting this for the Hillary defenders who keep ignoring it to say people on the left just dislike her because of media/GOP demonisation.

yeah the whole "people only dislike hillary because of right wing smears, russia, or theyre a sexist" is baffling

same folks usually be the type to call bernie supports cultists or whatever too

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017

I really think people should learn more about Hillary and MAYBE be a tad more sympathetic to the flawed human being she is

Completely unfairly maligned over her entire lifetime and career. Not making excuses for her mistakes as well but she isn't the fucking devil worthy of booing in my opinion

She lost in part because of the image and perception created from mountains of lies and any woman that tries to run for a position of power will be and HAS been subject to the same treatment through out our fucking history

Did we all forget that after the fact that she has been exonerated of damn near everything that was made up about her?
I was speaking more about the fact that no politician will ever lose face in MI for having a less-than-stellar reaction to Clinton. I'm not saying it's fair. But it's reality. Older white folks hate her for what they see as her role in NAFTA (yes, even though she didn't hold an elected position then, trust me) and because she didn't divorce her husband, among other things; her being the nominee absolutely pushed them to embrace their inner racists and vote for Trump because they *could not imagine* voting for Hillary Clinton. They taught this hatred to their children and it fucking worked. It's fucked, but the Democratic party chose that uphill battle when she won the nomination. Now we're still handwringing over it four years later; any woman who runs would of course be smeared (the expectation that there is any candidate who will ever run for a national election that won't be dragged through the streets is wild to me, as someone who remembers Swift Boating) but the absolute destruction of the public perception of Hillary Clinton is unique in my lifetime and the fact that 2016 Dem leadership didn't realize that she had already lost large swaths of the country before the first vote was cast is still stunning to me.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

You don't think a Palestinian American booing Hillary for shit saying shit like...

*Checks notes*

Rigging the Palestine election is not boo worthy?

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't care much about Hillary getting booed. She can take it. And Tlaib has a right to express her views.

I just wanted to point out that everyone saying this is dangerous because the party needs to be unified didn't pay much attention to the Republican primaries in 2016. It was a shit show.

Every debate was Trump slinging insults and mocking other candidates. He would destroy his opponents on Twitter. He flat out called Ted Cruz's wife ugly and accused his dad of being involved in the Kennedy assassination. What about "Little Marco"? We could go on and on. Yet look at the country now.

I don't think the election in November will be decided by how unified the party is during the primaries.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I have a more nuanced take on this than I'd like:

Of course I support the sentiment of booing Hillary Clinton but on the other hand it distracts from all the really great stuf the Sanders campaign is doing.
Close to where I am. I ignored Hillary and rolled my eyes but she seems harmless, to me. She's outside, looking in, almost at 'ok Boomer' levels, if not already there.

So booing Hillary just seems weird. I don't think it'll move the needle but I enjoyed that 2 days when it seemed like Sanders was above it all. Before the George Wallace quote came it.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I see a bit of scoffing from the usual establishment Dems on twitter. Their rhetoric is getting tiring.

Also people need to understand this is just Tlaib's nature. She was the one who was saying "impeach the motherfucker" about Trump back when she got elected. Watching the clip, it's not even a big deal. It's not vitriolic or attacking someone's skin or other qualities, she just doesn't like Clinton. Yawn. Ok boomer, etc. etc.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I legit don't get the Hillary hate. She had two decades of a smear campaign against her and everyone blames hey for 2016 despite all of the factors that were revealed to have been working against her.

As far as I'm concerned, she's as flawed as many Democrats and would have been a competent president just as she was a competent Secretary of State.

She got screwed over in a lot of ways. I don't agree with what she said about Bernie, but making her persona non grata seems way too severe.
It's not radical left enough for most people here; she's a moderate democrat that represents the status quo to a lot of people.

A lot of people on these forums overestimate how liberal the average person and average member of the democrat part she is.

Jan 18, 2018
I'll help you understand with a few simple details:
She's a TERF

She's repeatedly praised Henry Kissinger, the man responsible for the destruction of multiple South American societies and the deaths of millions of people.

She used black slave labor at the governor's mansion in Arkansas

She campaigned for the crime bill in the 90's and espoused extremely racist views about black people ("super predators" etc.)

There is plenty more, but that's a start. Yes, she was smeared heavily by Republicans with made up bullshit, and yes she would've been a competent president in terms of understanding the office and using it to suit her goals effectively. Would've been much better than Trump, obviously. That said...there are PLENTY of reasons to dislike her that are legitimate and informed entirely from her own policies and behavior.

If it only happens to people of color do white people really care?
If a black person gets shot in the street, and nobodys around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Unprofessional and not classy imo, not a fan of Hillary but I don't think elected officials should be acting this rude

We passed that fam. In a world where the there are people in office trying their best to hurt people, ignoring shootings and seemingly encouraging it if they don't get their way, sensitivity ain't gonna help.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
The Hillary-Bernie discussion is the most unimportant conversation to be having right now. Hillary isn't running and can say whatever the fuck she wants; Bernie is in a good spot right now and what Hillary is saying doesn't seem to make much of a difference on his numbers.

Besides... democracy died yesterday and this is what you guys want to fucking talk about? Booing?

Democrats keep snatching defeat from the jaws of victory when it matters, and part of the reason why is because we keep focusing an unnecessary amount of attention on stupid shit like this.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has always fascinated me. She "campaigned" for the bill, as First Lady, a figurehead position with no actual legislative power. Meanwhile the person who wrote it (Joe Biden) and the Congressman who voted for it (Sanders) never get any shit for their part. I wonder why...
Go look at my post history and you can find posts where I criticize Biden heavily for his role in the crime bill and other bills he wrote and supported during his time as a senator. This thread isn't about Biden, that's why it's not being brought up.

Sanders was a well-documented critic of the bill, called it out directly for being racist at the time, but voted for it solely for the protections for women it contained knowing that the bill would pass with or without his support. I'm not happy he voted for it but at least he was on the record at the time criticizing the damn thing.

If your sole point was that Biden's role in the crime bill was far worse than Hillary's...sure, you are 100% right. That does not absolve her of openly spreading racist bullshit though.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I'm normally tired of basically anything relating to Hillary and wish it'll all just go away but this is just incredibly deserved with all the shit she's been stirring lately.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This is the best. You gotta love trash like Neera Tanden and all the rest wasting their energy losing their minds over this on Twitter.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I think about the unfathomable respect I would hold for Hillary Clinton if she had taken the worst L in electoral history and quietly retired at the end of a long and storied political career, emerging only to lend her considerable voice to whomever was opposed to the forces of darkness in this country.

Alas, here we are.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
If one proposes Hillary is no worse than the average Democrat politician, racist TERF war hawk she is, then the average Democrat is a deeply troubling person and probably says a lot about our government and institutions.
The average Democrat is essentially a Republican-lite. That's why the DNC doesn't like Bernie. The DNC still loves to take corporate money and side with corporations at the expense of the people. The average Democrat is in politics for the game and the money, not to improve the country. The young Dems being elected like Tlaib and AOC absolutely terrify the older Dems, and that's why they get attacked constantly.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Honestly, I'm baffled by Bernie fans. Yeah, she said some terrible things. Bernie's made mistakes and said offensive things, too. When he does it, it's justified. When Hillary says something mean she's a bitch.

Oh, cool. Now then, find me those mean and offensive things that Bernie said to Hillary. Not attacks on POLICY and positions, mean things.

Show me ONE quote offensive enough to meet Hillary's absolute lies about Bernie not supporting her enough (39! rallies), or the one where she says that he is a career politician, no success, no one likes him, no one wants to work with him.

I'm waiting.

Deleted member 11046

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Oh, cool. Now then, find me those mean and offensive things that Bernie said to Hillary. Not attacks on POLICY and positions, mean things.

Show me ONE quote offensive enough to meet Hillary's absolute lies about Bernie not supporting her enough (39! rallies), or the one where she says that he is a career politician, no success, no one likes him, no one wants to work with him.

I'm waiting.
It's almost like these accusations that Bernie's campaign is a cult of personality are mere projection.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
No one should be attacking a woc member of the squad. She is an icon for progressive values and is allowed to clap back at what hillary said. Funny, because I've seen many centrists try to prop up the squad when it's convenient , but the moment they stray from the party line it's full on "you're being divisive" "she should know her place" "she only won her district by 1%..."

for real what's that about?

better start getting behind Bernie Sanders because he's going to rock Iowa and New Hampshire and he's going to be our nominee. 🙋🏼‍♀️💁🏼‍♀️