• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
In a very interesting interview with the studio head of Rare, Craig Duncan, we learn more about how Rare has changed, what they think of their old IP's and if ''Rare is back''

Exciting times at Rare! I know you can't talk about your new IP even though you've announced it and named it. But can you talk about how it fits into the current structure of Rare, barns wise?
Craig Duncan:
It is a fantastic time for the studio. To be in a position where we're announcing a brand new IP that we feel very passionate about, it's very very special. And alongside that we still have a super successful ongoing service-based IP in Sea of Thieves that still has millions of people playing it.

Can you talk about how Everwild came to be?
Craig Duncan:
We will talk about the origin story later. Rare is a very special studio. And for us it's about finding the heart of what our special games are. I think Rare makes the kind of games the world doesn't have. Sea of Thieves was a very unique type of game, and I think Everwild is a very unique type of game.

We always incubate ideas and we always incubate things we think have potential and are special and very unlike other games. And when we find something that gets us excited and passionate, then that forms into a real thing.

Why do another new IP and not go to something you've got in the bank? A new Banjo Kazooie, for example?
Craig Duncan:
If that was our logic we'd have been making Jetpac for the last 35 years. The great thing about making games is putting a set of passionate people together making something they truly love and believe in. That's the goal of making anything. That's why Sea of Thieves is the game it is. That's why Everwild will be the game it will be, because we have a team of people who are truly passionate about the thing they're creating. Then my job as the studio head is to create an environment where they can go do that, and they can do their best work, and we can create something amazing. It's not about me picking the game I want made, or I want people to go do. It's about the team building the thing that is in their burning desire and heart to go make the most amazing experience.

``...``

Craig Duncan: So, we feel really good about the monthly updates. We're actually having a stronger year two, than we did year one.

In terms of what?
Craig Duncan:
We don't really talk about numbers too much. But I think our December this year will be stronger than our December last year. And we're well into year two of Sea of Thieves now. Our anniversary not only brought new people into Sea of Thieves, but a huge reengagement moment. Generally what we see is, when we introduce new events and content and monthly updates, we see people come into the game as new players, and we see people come into the game that have played - maybe they played at launch or anniversary and they've stopped playing for a few months - and they come back, and some of that's through Xbox Game Pass, some of that's through people recommending it to their friends, some of that's through people seeing the game being streamed, and then going and buying it. So we feel really healthy about Sea of Thieves. We haven't run out of creative ideas to put into it and the team is still really passionate about Sea of Thieves.

There is much more in the article here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...tting-other-games-stuff-on-their-pirate-ships

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like many games this generation, it's shaped up from something pretty lackluster but showed promise to slowly fulfilling that promise. A true sequel doesn't make sense but a Sea if Thieves Realm Reborn come Scarlett launch does

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Honestly, it sounds like people inside of Rare dont really want to go back to their old IPs. Maybe thats just what Duncan believes but it would explain why they are only making new IPs.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Millions yet idk a single person online or irl whos mentioned it in well over a year

Unless thats the most dedicated random community ever, sure.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
My friends have renewed their Game Pass sub last month, not for TOW or Gears 5, but for Sea of Thieves. They wanted to see all the new content. Since then we've played the game for ~10 hours exploring all the new stuff. Still haven't finished the added story campaign tho.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
SoT is a great game and hes correct, its something i regularly go back to when new content is released. Its very under-rated. People were all over this for lack of content at launch, or the game play loop being too repetitive. Its a good solid game, happy for Rare, and happy for Rare to NOT focus on old IP's and create new and interesting ideas. Everwild to me from the initial reveal looks like it will be something interesting too, and unique.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Millions?

and so I don't get killed for drive by...

Like others have said, I only know a few people who even tried it and even less who have gone back to it. Probably just poor wording choices on his part but I can't imagine it has millions of active users.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it sounds like people inside of Rare dont really want to go back to their old IPs. Maybe thats just what Duncan believes but it would explain why they are only making new IPs.

People complain there are no new IP's
People complain devs don't go back to existing IP's

I think its time to just let Rare be the new Rare they want to be, whether they release new IP or old.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Millions? Millions?

I wanna see the receipts. That's awesome for Rare. Hope Everwild is just as big.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

I hate to break the news but this is pretty much how Rare always has been, in a way.

Instead of making more Donkey Kong games after DKC2, Gregg Mayles and his team moved on to Dream/Banjo-Kazooie (DKC3 was handed over to a new B-Team), and instead of actually making Banjo-Threeie, they moved onto Grabbed by the Ghoulies after Tooie. Then when they tried going back and making a third tradtional Banjo, they lost interest and then came up with Nuts & Bolts. Perfect Dark happened as a result of Rare declining Nintendo's request to make a direct sequel to Goldeneye.

For better and worse, Rare's always been a very forward thinking company that doesn't like to stand around one IP for too long.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Millions yet idk a single person online or irl whos mentioned it in well over a year

It really is a popular game. Not Minecraft Level but it does have its audience.

It even got a second wind due to streaming and continues updates. And well what he says here proves that to be true.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I still play it virtually every night and have made actually real, proper friendships while playing it. I have a solid gaming crew that I game with regularly now from all over the world and we all met playing Sea of Thieves. It's been incredibly special for me and none of us are slowing down any time soon.

It's my WoW.

Oct 26, 2017

Dota 2 has over 10 millions monthly users
CSGO has over 18 millions monthly users

And people don't talk about both games here or IRL but this does not mean that "millions" are not playing both games.

Is Valve lying as well?

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Typical Rare/MS thread already, well done everyone! As for Sea of Thieves, it's my Game of the Generation so I'm delighted to see the success they have had and continue to have with it.

And oh, Rare are back, baby!

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I hate to break the news but this is pretty much how Rare always has been, in a way.

Instead of making more Donkey Kong games after DKC2, Gregg Mayles and his team moved on to Dream/Banjo-Kazooie (DKC3 was handed over to a new B-Team), and instead of actually making Banjo-Threeie, they moved onto Grabbed by the Ghoulies after Tooie. Then when they tried going back and making a third tradtional Banjo, they lost interest and then came up with Nuts & Bolts. Perfect Dark happened as a result of Rare declining Nintendo's request to make a direct sequel to Goldeneye.

For better and worse, Rare's always been a very forward thinking company that doesn't like to stand around one IP for too long.

Yes, and when gaming fans applaude that studios can focus on whatever they want, they still get slammed in case a beloved IP isn't getting a new sequel. Basically they will only make a new Banjo if they come up with a new idea that hasn't been done before. Or they might find an external partner like with Battletoads. A Banjo remake rather than a third entry could also be a viable option. I played Nuts&Bolts this year, BTW. It's not the Banjo people expected, but it's a really good game that forces you, the player, to figure out how to solve situations. I loved the agency of the title, but yes, it should probably not have used Banjo as a protagonist.

People should really go and play Rare Replay to see that this company has made great games all throughout their history, including Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm conflicted over the Kinect stuff myself but this was yet another example of challenging themselves and going into uncharted territory.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still play it from time to time even if I retired a year a go when I became legend.

It's even better now.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Or maybe your friends play totally different types of games.

There is always an active Sea of Thieves community, and no matter how far apart your game sessions are in it, it's still a blast to play.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still play it virtually every night and have made actually real, proper friendships while playing it. I have a solid gaming crew that I game with regularly now from all over the world and we all met playing Sea of Thieves. It's been incredibly special for me and none of us are slowing down any time soon.

It's my WoW.
Has it gotten better since launch?

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
It is an extremely popular game so this is not a surprise.

People who don't like it seem to think that nobody else does. The game has a big audience.

Also, Rare are being positioned by MS as a new IP factory so it's no surprise that they keep saying they're unlikely to revisit old IP.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So many "I can't accept that Sea of Thieves is successful" replies lol

Excited to play the new Tall Tale today!

Oh and of course congrats to Rare & team. The game allowed massive growth at the studio and that's always a wonderful thing.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Dota 2 has over 10 millions monthly users
CSGO has over 18 millions monthly users

And people don't talk about both games here or IRL but this does not mean that "millions" are not playing both games.

Is Valve lying as well?

Difference is you actually have access to the player data. You can look at steam stats which will give you player count from highest ever for the game to a break down by weekly and hourly.

What does Microsoft give you?

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
It's that difficult to believe the game can have at least more than a million MaUs?

Difference is you actually have access to the player data. You can look at steam stats which will give you player count from highest ever for the game to a break down by weekly and hourly.

Microsoft have a top 50 of most played games on PC and Xbox, updated 2 times a week where SoT has been since launch.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
It's that difficult to believe the game can have at least more than a million MaUs?

It is when the player data is not available to the public like almost all steam games are. Microsoft only shared info when they want to, and alot of times it's best case scenario. Like they had 8.4 million in June when they launched their latest update, but also it was june with a huge gamepass beta push that was like 5 bucks a month, and some people were getting it for $1.

Then silence after that.

Microsoft have a top 50 of most played games on PC and Xbox, updated 2 times a week where SoT has been since launch.

Still doesn't give me player numbers. And seeing where it sits, hard to gauge if it's millions that are on there weekly.

Oct 26, 2017

We have plenty of publishers, see EA and Ubisoft, sharing the same "data" like Microsoft is actually doing:

"For Honor has reached 15 million users"
"Battlefield 1 had 25 million unique players"

And you don't see people questioning them, but somehow, people are not believing Rare when they say that Sea of Thieves has million of players?

Is Playground Games also lying when they say that FH4 has 4 monthly players? https://www.tweaktown.com/news/6739...illion-players-total-still-growing/index.html

And this is obvisouly a lie as well

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This "millions" stuff is said to get people to log in/subscribe/buy it, every publisher does this.

"oh, millions are still playing it ? cool, gotta check it out in the next days!"

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SoT is my favorite game this generation

.. and it just gets better and better

Glad so many are playing

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"millions of people playing it"

What kind of strange metric is that? Is there a formula to change it into something we understand? Like "how many canon balls fired" or "x amount of skeletons killed"...

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
We have plenty of publishers, see EA and Ubisoft, sharing the same "data" like Microsoft is actually doing:

"For Honor has reached 15 million users"
"Battlefield V had 25 million unique players"

And you don't see people questioning them, but somehow, people are not believing Rare when they say that Sea of Thieves has million of players?

Is Playground Games also lying when they say that FH4 has 4 monthly players? https://www.tweaktown.com/news/6739...illion-players-total-still-growing/index.html

FOR HONOR is on steam though? You can literally look it up for player stats.

And yes thats something EA with origin should do.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its Duncan. Good guy but seems to be uninterested with Rare's older IPs. He admitted he hasnt really played them either in his all access interview last year with Ryan M (IGN). I wish he wasnt in charge of green lighting games but was more of a facilitator.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Perfect Dark happened as a result of Rare declining Nintendo's request to make a direct sequel to Goldeneye.
Good post but this part is, as far as I know, not true. The Rare team that was left after some parted ways to create Free Radical did want to make the next Goldeneye. The thing that happened was that they were outbid in the auction to get the license and, since they already had some concepts for what they wanted to do in their next shooter, they just made it a new IP instead.

Source:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
It is when the player data is not available to the public like almost all steam games are. Microsoft only shared info when they want to, and alot of times it's best case scenario. Like they had 8.4 million in June when they launched their latest update, but also it was june with a huge gamepass beta push that was like 5 bucks a month, and some people were getting it for $1.

Then silence after that.
Not having exact numbers doesn't make a claim hard to believe. As I said before, SoT has been fluctuation between top 20 and top 50 of Xbox and W10 most played list since launch. You have also True Achievements ranking where the game is consistently in the middle of the rank.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not having exact numbers doesn't make a claim hard to believe. As I said before, SoT has been fluctuation between top 20 and top 50 of Xbox and W10 most played list since launch.

on steam that's like 5k people playing, i'd assume it's less on xbox and w10. the playerbase must be huge and all play at different times if they amount to millions.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Not having exact numbers doesn't make a claim hard to believe. As I said before, SoT has been fluctuation between top 20 and top 50 of Xbox and W10 most played list since launch. You have also True Achievements ranking where the game is consistently in the middle of the rank.

It still is obscure, and being where it is if it is at millions doesn't seem to show well.

Why they should do?

EA and all the publisher have to show numbers to investors because they are the ones that should care, not the consumers, they are not obligated to share numbers to the customers at all.

Oh, I don't know to see if the game has a healthy player base? I check it for Destiny 2 and pubg all the time. Those player stats are there for the players who want to put time into the game.

If they buy a game on a heavy sale, and has like less than 1,000 people online is that something they should invest their time into? Because games like Lawbreakers had the same issue. I bought that game because the beta was fun, game was dead in like a couple weeks, and i would watch the player count drop each week.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Good post but this part is, as far as I know, not true. The Rare team that was left after some parted ways to create Free Radical did want to make the next Goldeneye. The thing that happened was that they were outbid in the auction to get the license and, since they already had some concepts for what they wanted to do in their next shooter, they just made it a new IP instead.

Source:

Well, this kinda says otherwise.

I thought about this and was not sure I'd really want to. We had a small chat, three or four of us on the team. It was like, 'No'. We sent the message back, 'The answer is no. We don't plan to make another Bond game from another Bond film'. And that was it.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
People commenting on the number of players for a game that they clearly have no interest in...funny.

I'm gonna try the new Tall Tales after Shenmue 3, though I still need to beat the first one. HAHA.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Millions?

and so I don't get killed for drive by...

Like others have said, I only know a few people who even tried it and even less who have gone back to it. Probably just poor wording choices on his part but I can't imagine it has millions of active users.

Thank god we have you guys and your random friends to determine what's popular or doing well in ths gaming world. Such a stupid take, fellas.