• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to imagine Rare ever topping their SNES-N64 golden days, and it's certainly not for a lack of trying. Between the release of DKC and Conker's Bad Fur Day, I'd be hard pressed to name a single game of theirs that wasn't quality. Even DK64 I still really enjoy to this day.

It's hard to imagine any developer topping their SNES-N64 golden days. Even someone like Nintendo don't knock classics out at that rate. And, with how much longer games take to bake these days, it'll likely never be beaten. It's why I find it hard when people beoman that they'll never reach the heights of that era again. Correct. Nobody will.

They were a hive of classics and frequent absolute smashes.

Even just taking the N64...

Blast Corps
Killer Instict Gold
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo Kazooie
GoldenEye
Jet Force Gemini
Donkey Kong 64
Banjo Tooie
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Perfect Dark
Mickey's Speedway USA

All that in only four years!

And in between that they were still knocking out Gameboy Color games too. Kings of that era.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i honestly feel like Rare was vital to keeping the N64 alive. they made most of the best games on that system...where as now if they closed their doors i don't think i'd notice.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Seems kind of cheating to group their SNES and N64 games together, more interesting to narrow the scope.

You wrote a lot in your OP but I'm still confused how you think anyone would choose a post-N64 Rare, even if someone liked Viva Pinata/Nuts & Bolts or Sea of Thieves, their closest highs.

I would pick Post-N64 Rare.

They had some better ideas with Nintendo, and they came far more frequently, and Banjo-Kazooie is my favorite game of all time, but a lot of their games had a TON of issues and do not hold up well, but we all pretend otherwise because of nostalgia.

Microsoft Rare is the better and stronger developer.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
8-bit, 16-bit, and N64 all have a mix of classics and duds from Rare. After those generations, they became a lot more forgettable as a developer.

Anyone else get to play Vs. Slalom back in the day, the arcade version with the ski controls? I had never seen an arcade game control like that before at the time and loved it.

vsslalom.jpg

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
i honestly feel like Rare was vital to keeping the N64 alive. they made most of the best games on that system...where as now if they closed their doors i don't think i'd notice.
They were just as important as Nintendo for the system. I feel that without Goldeneye becoming a massive hit among older western audiences, the N64 would have ended up with GameCube numbers, or possibly even worse.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I have to go with now, as my experience with them started during their Xbox phase, by which time their Nintendo offerings were already showing their age.

SoT is quite possibly the best MP experience I've ever had, and as someone who normally avoids the MP modes in games, I can't praise it enough. Really looking to Everwild, as it looks to be something quite unique and looks gorgeous.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
From 94-98. End of the N64 era, they were tapering off a little bit. Not saying DK 64, Conker, and Tooie are bad, they just don't measure up to their SNES output and BK/Goldeneye/Diddy Kong Racing.

Perfect Dark is the outlier.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I won't venture an opinion on the OP's question since I've probably played two Rare games for more than 60 mins in my life.

But I would like to note that those two games were Goldeneye, which brought my friends and I together in each other's basements as kids for countless hours of fun and memories, and Sea of Thieves, which is now the main way I continue to spend time together with some of those same friends even though we live time zones apart. It's an incredible through line. Thanks Rare :)

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
'94-'98

DKC and GE were absolutely massive games that marked the 16 bit and 32/64 bit gens.
DKC2, DKR and Banjo were all very well received and praised and there was even room for a little gem like Blast Corps.

Commercially, I believe the Kinect crap outsold everything they had done previously. Admitting being nastalgic, the 64 games were the best, but I do have faith that the best is yet to come
Nope, I don't think any Rare games have sold more than Donkey Kong Country on SNES (9.30M units).
Well, unless you count the player base of SoT but that's a different beast.

Best selling Rare games under Nintendo:
DKC (SNES): 9.30M
GoldenEye 007 (N64): 8.09M
DK64 (N64): 5.27M
DKC2 (SNES): 5.15M
DKR (N64): 4.88M

Last edited:

Shamanoski

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 17, 2021
During the N64 days. I will also not take away from them the magnificent work they did with Sea of Thieves

Luxor

Oct 27, 2017
Back when they were known as Ashby Computers and Graphics Ltd. Literally kickstarted the isometric 3d genre

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
There is no debate, like everyone is saying Rare's output on the SNES and N64 era is unsurpassed, not just from the quality of the games alone, but of their importance to the consoles they released on.

I would argue that Viva Piñata is as good or better than some of their output from that era, but its impact on the Xbox 360 was null. Like mentioned by others, you bought an N64 for First Party Nintendo and Rare. And the SNES got a second life from DKC. People bought into the Xbox ecosystem for Halo and Gears, not Viva Piñata or even the launch title Perfect Dark Zero.

Akai_XIII

Oct 26, 2017
Didnt play any of their SNES games, first one I played was Goldeneye. I didnt like Banjo Kazooie, JFG or DK64. Goldeneye was good, but Perfect Dark was amazing - spent so much time playing 4 player pvp.

As much as Starfox Adventures is considered "bad" I really enjoyed it. Having never played the series before it wasnt an issue for me.

Kameo was a lot of fun, more than PD0 which was a massive disappointment.

Viva Pinata and Nuts & Bolts are two of my favourite games, so I'd probably say that time period. I played through the XBLA version of Banjo Kazooie afterwards and really enjoyed it.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Killer Instinct Golf released on the n64. That era. I was easily tournament level in that game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Kameo was a lot of fun, more than PD0 which was a massive disappointment.

I would like to see more props for Kameo. It was a whole load of fun. Was reviewed pretty well too. It's critical scores largely line up with something like Jet Force Gemini but one of those is considered a classic and one is 'lol microsoft rare'.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I would pick Post-N64 Rare.

They had some better ideas with Nintendo, and they came far more frequently, and Banjo-Kazooie is my favorite game of all time, but a lot of their games had a TON of issues and do not hold up well, but we all pretend otherwise because of nostalgia.

Microsoft Rare is the better and stronger developer.
The vast majority of 3D games from that era had a ton of issues and don't hold up well. Relative to the rest of industry at the time, N64 Rare was a much 'better' and influential studio compared to MS Rare.

Last edited:

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Rare from N64 era. However they seem to have found their footing after the kinect era and languishing initially. New Rate seems to be on point though, let's see how Everwild pans out but they seem to be heading towards former glory.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
94-2000

Donkey Kong Country to Perfect Dark

Without a doubt. It's actually amazing to look back and realize what a short period of time this was. Six years. One of the most impressive runs of any company, pound for pound.

If I had to narrow it down, you'd have to say the N64 output was peak Rare. Their titles represented a third to half of the N64's hits, it seems looking back.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I would like to see more props for Kameo. It was a whole load of fun. Was reviewed pretty well too. It's critical scores largely line up with something like Jet Force Gemini but one of those is considered a classic and one is 'lol microsoft rare'.
That's really disappointing that they do that. People talk about MS Rare missing that spark while ignoring Kameo, Viva Piñata, and sea of thieves. Yeah they don't put out games as regularly but dev times are longer now across the industry. I'll admit that they don't have the pedigree that they did but it isn't like they haven't put out unique well regarded games under MS.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully, the best is yet to come. I can't pinpoint to any specific era where they didn't have a bunch of hits and misses. For me, they have remained mostly consistent throughout their entire history. Best game they made is arguably DKC2 and the most ambitious is probably Perfect Dark.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Anyone not saying the N64 era at this point is kidding themselves, but they certainly have some interesting years ahead. Sea of Thieves is a very strong game, Everwild looks great, and it looks like Mayles is already on another project as of late 2019. With Everwild in 2022 and possibly another project in 2024, it looks like Rare is moving to a two-team, every 2-3 years approach. Hopefully, this is the dawn of the second "golden era" of Rare.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that 'the Nintendo years' isn't really specific enough. They made Nintendo games for like 20 years. They put out 45 games on the NES alone!

I'm presuming people don't mean the Nintendo years where they were developing stone cold classics like Seseme Street ABC, Wheel of Fortune and WWF Wrestlemania Challenge as 'the golden years'.

The Rare making Jeopardy in 1988 were presumably a pretty different team to those making Star Fox Adventures in 2002.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Their SNES and N64 output was insanely good. That said, I am really enjoying where they are now with thousands of hours on Sea of Thieves and Everwild looks excellent.

I'd love for them to eventually create 2-3 smaller teams to make AA games in addition to their bigger projects. Two or three teams of 20-30 people each, in addition to the AAA teams, would probably allow for Rare to crank out a new game every year. I'd love to see more experimental stuff from them, or even small throwbacks just for fun.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Obviously the Nintendo era.

Banjo, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Donkey Kong

That's who Rare was and always will be to me.
This, also Jet Force Gemini.

I think the darkest days for Rare are gone for now, but their outstanding output in the Nintendo era, a Midas touch company, is really a once in a lifetime thing. Booting up that n64 cartridge and seeing the R logo was an assurance that the game was going to be amazing.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
360 era, excluding PDZ, and before they were sent to the Kinect mines. Around Viva Pinata basically. That's probably still my favourite Rare game, and I really liked Nuts & Bolts too.

I could never truck with their N64 era. I don't think I like a single game from back then. Maybe Perfect Dark, but yeah. I do enjoy the DKC games, so SNES Rare is probably my second favourite era.

Haven't played Sea of Thieves yet, so I don't really have an opinion on current Rare.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
'94-'98

DKC and GE were absolutely massive games that marked the 16 bit and 32/64 bit gens.
DKC2, DKR and Banjo were all very well received and praised and there was even room for a little gem like Blast Corps.

Nope, I don't think any Rare games have sold more than Donkey Kong Country on SNES (9.30M units).
Well, unless you count the player base of SoT but that's a different beast.

Best selling Rare games under Nintendo:
DKC (SNES): 9.30M
GoldenEye 007 (N64): 8.09M
DK64 (N64): 5.27M
DKC2 (SNES): 5.15M
DKR (N64): 4.88M

I think it isn't a stretch to say Sea of Thieves outsold DKC2 and DKR. And maybe even DK64.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I think it isn't a stretch to say Sea of Thieves outsold DKC2 and DKR. And maybe even DK64.
Could be.
The crazy part is that back then the market was much smaller than nowadays, stuff like DKC and GE007 were among the most popular console games in the world in their respective generation.

As a reference the top 10 best selling games of the 16 bit generation (sell-in; by single system SKU; worldwide)
CaIAtro.jpg

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will argue from Donkey Kong Cuntry to Banjo Kazooie they were at their best